Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

aris

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get the question, honestly. The developers didn't include some secret cheat code in the default stats, and what is a good stat is not hard to figure out. Melee character? Pump might. Spellcaster? Pump Magic with the very occasional point in spirit and vitality so you don't get one shot. Always max weapon skills/main magic skill first. Wow, such complex, much need for guide.
You're wrong. Destiny is a good all around stat for every class, and almost every char benefits from some spell casting. What's more, the returns are diminishing from pumping all into one stat.

I don't see why it should be hard to figure out what the different stats do either.

How does the Dodge scale? Because the crit bonus is just crap. Unless there are some serious boosters I'm missing the best you can get is +.35% per point, which with even +70% crit bonus from daggers equates to an average of +.245% damage. The point at which diminishing returns on a point in Might or Magic would make them worse than a point in destiny would be around 2000 in either stat.

Does the block chance affected by anything? I've noticed my barbarian's attack easily blocked whereas my blademaster make deadly combos with her daggers..

AFAIK it's a flat rate independent of the attack you are guarding against, and defending doubles your chance. But it can only trigger a set number of times in a turn (depending on abilities), so multi-hit attacks will outright hit more times than they can handle. OTOH, two-handed grandmaster bonus makes you unblockable (someone check: do you still suck up block attempts that way?)
Well on average it might not make a huge difference, but in a fight with a significant amount of randomness (the damage ranges are quite big), having 15% crit chance instead of 3% might just be the odds that you need to decide a combat in your favor that is usually done in less than 10 rounds.

Also, I don't know how dodge affects your chances of dodging, but I have 34 in dodge on one of my character, and it seems like he gets hit relatively rarely.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Don't think so cause the Elrath altar did nothing. And the blessing that lets you walk through woods was given by a boss on the Earth wing of the Elemental Forge so I figure the others are acquired the same way.
the altars give a heavy armor relic.

Well on average it might not make a huge difference, but in a fight with a significant amount of randomness (the damage ranges are quite big), having 15% crit chance instead of 3% might just be the odds that you need to decide a combat in your favor that is usually done in less than 10 rounds.

You speak of intentionally relying on savescummy behavior. Get out.

Also getting +12% crit chance will cost you 48 attribute points. Which is better, +12% chance of +20-70% damage or +96% damage all the time (might/magic)? The choice is absolutely clear here.

aris

Arcane

:hmmm:
Umm. No. I do not. I'm talking about the small odds that can help you in your favor in a close fight. Also, if you already have +200%, having an extra 90% (it's a 30 percent increase of your current damage output) does not necessarily make a huge difference, an extra +70% or +50% of those 200% however...

If you think in terms of an infinite amount of hits, sure pump up might forever, but I'm talking about lucky hits here, and increasing your odds for them.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Ive found perception to be a must have stat for melee characters, it helps with accuracy and im pretty sure it also helps with block, it raises the damage of the character by a lot, and also makes it worth it buying a couple points into a ranged weapon, as it will be hitting.
And i just killed them earth elemental boss on warrior in 3 turns without receiving damage, the difference in performance is so incredibly huge i cannot put it into words.

:hmmm:
Umm. No. I do not. I'm talking about the small odds that can help you in your favor in a close fight.

On average, +crit is far worse. The only instance in which +crit is better is if you are continually redoing fights over and over until you get lucky with crits. i.e. savescumming.

Also, if you already have +150%, having an extra 20% (it's an 8 percent increase of your current damage output) hardly makes much of a difference, an extra +70% or +50% of does 150% however...

No, see previous post I made. In the absolute best case scenario you shouldn't touch crit rate until your base damage is around 1000%, and with non-dagger weapons it's even worse.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ive found perception to be a must have stat for melee characters, it helps with accuracy and im pretty sure it also helps with block, it raises the damage of the character by a lot, and also makes it worth it buying a couple points into a ranged weapon, as it will be hitting.
And i just killed them earth elemental boss on warrior in 3 turns without receiving damage, the difference in performance is so incredibly huge i cannot put it into words.
I have a hard time believing that but I wish I knew how exactly attack/evasion/block work.

aris

Arcane
I have a hard time believing that but I wish I knew how exactly attack/evasion/block work.
I just did a test as I leveled up. Put two points into perception, both increased my main attack reading (the stat the determines your chance of hitting), while one put into might actually decreased the main attack(!) by one, and the other did not change it. Seems like people are extremely wrong about "derp, just put everything into might for melee characters, leveling up so easy, much complexity". Actually, this explains, I think, why my melee characters tend to miss so much. Going to pump a lot more into perception from now on.

Yeah, me too. Block I think is static (it's reported as a flat %) but Attack/Evasion seem to be compared to each other in a non-linear fashion.

In general I wouldn't favour much/any perception simply because +1 per point when you are already pumping your weapon ASAP for +2 each seems like a relatively small bonus. There's always plenty of other things to buff stats or directly boost Attack Value as well.

And no, Might doesn't reduce Attack Value. Guadaost must have critically failed his wisdom check again. The tooltips tell you exactly what each stat does.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I thought perception was the dump stat. As far as I can tell it's only really necessary for opening some secret passages but those are percentage based and not threshold.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, me too. Block I think is static (it's reported as a flat %).
Yeah that much is clear but now people keep saying Attack affects it but I don't see evidence of that anywhere.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I can attest that my hunter hits much more frequently than my defender, and the hunter has a much higher perception (I increased it since he also uses a bow). I focused on developing the defender as a meatshield (as the class is intended), so points generally go to might and vitality. So while the defender inflicts more damage per hit, the hunter makes up for it by hitting more frequently and having a ranged attack. However, I know that the Hunter also has some passive abilities, so of which might help his chance to hit.

Arkeus

Arcane
Perception is really useful yeah.

Also, anyone knows who i am supposed to give the Elven Toadstool to in the crag?

Lhynn

Arcane
while one put into might actually decreased the main attack(!) by one, and the other did not change it.
What the hell
Might be a bug, but I clearly saw it change from 83 to 82 after putting one point into might, and then confirming.
Weapons have damage range and the increase in damage from might is only a 2%. Maybe it was 80-90 and you got an 83, then after punping the 2% it became a 81-92(ish) and you got 82.

FWIW this is the most recent information I've found on attack/evade: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/823411-Evade-Value

Results:
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 36: Dodged 10% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 50: Dodged 17% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 75: Dodged 36% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 100: Dodged 64% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 150: Dodged 79% of Attacks

Against Attack 75 with Evade of 50: Dodged 5% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 75: Dodged 14% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 100: Dodged 46% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 125: Dodged 51% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 150: Dodged 50% of Attacks (probably some bad luck)

If this information remains true then equaling or slightly exceeding your enemy's Evade is about all you should aim for, with rather minimal returns beyond that.

I'd suspect that those observing much better hit rates on their more agile characters are probably attacking with their tank in the first slot to soak up blocks and then hitting with their faster character second, who might also have more attacks or w/e. But then I haven't explored everything so if there are 150-200 evade enemies then you'd want to have an attack stat to match. Both my frontliners after finishing Elemental Disturbance are around 100 attack and my Bestiary shows my opponents as mostly 20-40 evade crap, with the highest being wolf and moonsilk spider at 80, so I'm good for now without a single point in perception.

EDIT: And looking at the csvs, looks like most enemy types peak at around 130-140 evade with a very small handful around 150.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
hm, interesting.
btw im out of the elemental forge but the stupid guard is still blocking the bridge, how do i get out to the open world?

Lhynn

Arcane
was hoping i could punch someone for their horse or something, ah well.

Arkeus

Arcane
hm, interesting.
btw im out of the elemental forge but the stupid guard is still blocking the bridge, how do i get out to the open world?
Make sure you have talked to everyone in the throne room before leaving it.

Question: just redeemed the relics on uplay. How do i get them ingame?

hm, interesting.
Does anyone know what causes this problem? I've seen many posts in different forums complaining about the same issue. Is it an early access leftover that wasn't properly cleared by the full install?

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
FWIW this is the most recent information I've found on attack/evade: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/823411-Evade-Value

Results:
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 36: Dodged 10% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 50: Dodged 17% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 75: Dodged 36% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 100: Dodged 64% of Attacks
Against Attack 50 with Evade of 150: Dodged 79% of Attacks

Against Attack 75 with Evade of 50: Dodged 5% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 75: Dodged 14% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 100: Dodged 46% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 125: Dodged 51% of Attacks
Against Attack 75 with Evade of 150: Dodged 50% of Attacks (probably some bad luck)

If this information remains true then equaling or slightly exceeding your enemy's Evade is about all you should aim for, with rather minimal returns beyond that.

I'd suspect that those observing much better hit rates on their more agile characters are probably attacking with their tank in the first slot to soak up blocks and then hitting with their faster character second, who might also have more attacks or w/e. But then I haven't explored everything so if there are 150+ evade enemies then you'd want to have an attack stat to match.
Yeah I've switched the slot of my barbarian with the blademaster. Now the BM attacks first depleting the blocks of enemy after that barbarian attacks for massive damage..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom