Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I can attest that my hunter hits much more frequently than my defender, and the hunter has a much higher perception (I increased it since he also uses a bow). I focused on developing the defender as a meatshield (as the class is intended), so points generally go to might and vitality. So while the defender inflicts more damage per hit, the hunter makes up for it by hitting more frequently and having a ranged attack. However, I know that the Hunter also has some passive abilities, so of which might help his chance to hit.

The problem with this is that the only real tanking skills require you to land a hit first. This was the problem I was running into with my Defender. Once I pumped his weapon skill, he was hitting a lot more often.

Unless you are a ranger, perception seems worthless. I hope I'm wrong.

Also, I keep seeing people mentioning that perception lets them find hidden stuff, whereas other people have said the only way to find hidden stuff (not open the hidden stuff, but find it) is to have an hireling that can find stuff, or one of the spells going. Anyone know which is correct?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Perception doesn't help you find hidden stuff, it lets you open secret passages that rely on perception checks. I've only ran into two or three so far, so it isn't that big of a loss.

Though people have said it's chance based but I tried with all my charactrs and none could get a perception-based secret wall open, but might and magic-based ones always open at the first try.

I can attest that my hunter hits much more frequently than my defender, and the hunter has a much higher perception (I increased it since he also uses a bow). I focused on developing the defender as a meatshield (as the class is intended), so points generally go to might and vitality. So while the defender inflicts more damage per hit, the hunter makes up for it by hitting more frequently and having a ranged attack. However, I know that the Hunter also has some passive abilities, so of which might help his chance to hit.

The problem with this is that the only real tanking skills require you to land a hit first. This was the problem I was running into with my Defender. Once I pumped his weapon skill, he was hitting a lot more often.

Also, I keep seeing people mentioning that perception lets them find hidden stuff, whereas other people have said the only way to find hidden stuff (not open the hidden stuff, but find it) is to have an hireling that can find stuff, or one of the spells going. Anyone know which is correct?

This is actually a huge problem, in my opinion. Having an aggro mechanic is a slipshod bandaid to lack of tactic positioning (no party rows, no other way to protect frail party members); but if you're going to have it, then tethering the success of a taunt to a to-hit mechanic is questionable, especially if the result of that failed taunt (later enemies have ridiculous amounts of armour and evasion) is an instagibbed caster - this happens way too frequently even if you prebuff, and it's annoying as fuck, because savescumming sucks; it sucks doubly worse because loadtimes are terrible.

I actually pumped a lot of points into my Defender's Perception, but it's a sub-optimal solution. I feel like Taunt success rate should be tethered to the Shield Skill, or even the Warfare skill itself, instead of to-hit chance.

Hireling (or spells you cast) let you find the skill checks. To complete the skill checks you need Might/Perception/Magic depending on the check time.

Perception doesn't help you find hidden stuff, it lets you open secret passages that rely on perception checks. I've only ran into two or three so far, so it isn't that big of a loss.

Though people have said it's chance based but I tried with all my charactrs and none could get a perception-based secret wall open, but might and magic-based ones always open at the first try.

So far I've simply remembered where the checks are and come back with as much equipment/blessings/buffs stacked together. It's worked.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

This is actually a huge problem, in my opinion. Having an aggro mechanic is a slipshod bandaid to lack of tactic positioning (no party rows, no other way to protect frail party members); but if you're going to have it, then tethering the success of a taunt to a to-hit mechanic is questionable, especially if the result of that failed taunt (later enemies have ridiculous amounts of armour and evasion) is an instagibbed caster - this happens way too frequently even if you prebuff, and it's annoying as fuck, because savescumming sucks; it sucks doubly worse because loadtimes are terrible.

I actually pumped a lot of points into my Defender's Perception, but it's a sub-optimal solution. I feel like Taunt success rate should be tethered to the Shield Skill, or even the Warfare skill itself, instead of to-hit chance.

I'm not opposed to aggro mechanics in principle, but goddamn it they should work right.

aris

Arcane
About ranged weapons being UP, I just got enough points on my tank for expert rank on my tank, and even though his perception is low, and my demon's kiss crossbow (is that the name), that you get from defeating the dragon in the first area is only level 2 so far, it fucking kicks ass! Can't wait until I get my perception higher and the level of the weapon higher.

Lhynn

Arcane
That is cool and all but ranged weapons are only useful on fights that aren't hard anyway.
Helps to minimize rest stops which is pretty much the only resource that matters if you are doing things right. Potions are usually boss stuff.
Ill go with leather armor on my casters and at least a bow on my blade dancer eventually.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I am, it's fucking shit.

Nah, not all the time. It adds an interesting strategic element. It doesn't make sense in a blobber, though, I will give you that. You should be able to put your meatshields up front. Then we wouldn't have to bother with the whole mechanic.

Machine

Arbiter
Pirated this and lost interest after 20 mins of play or so.

Guess I'm finally too old for this shit.

/blog

The only worthwhile ranged element in the game is the Warden multishot, but that takes way too long and suffering through the whole game with the worst class, doing something other than shooting bows to get to the point where you can actually do something useful with one. It's just shitty design.

I dunno what they were going for with ranged classes. There's only two full-ranged classes in the game while melee and magic classes fill the other 10, so it's clear they knew that Ranged wasn't a great idea. Scout is such a joke. wow, +2 range and the ability to cast the equivalent of the starter Earth spell. That's a great class promotion reward.

On a slight tangent, I feel bad for the poor fools who go with the default party. 2 Melee/1 Ranged/1 caster must be hell.

Ohh, do ranged attacks in melee still trigger counter-attacks? If not that might make them slightly useful as a backup vs. certain bosses.

Last edited:
Ranged attacks in melee won't trigger retaliation and the like - it's mildly amusing but still worthless.

The default party isn't awful because of melee/caster distribution, it's awful because Defender and Ranger are probably the worst classes in the game. If you substitute the Defender for a Crusader and the Ranger for a Runepriest it would be miles better, and still keep the same overall flavour.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is it not possible to equip a mace and one-handed focus for the Runepriest? I've been using a spear for awhile, and just put skill points into foci and mace, but it won't equip.

What's the best equipment setup for a Runepriest?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Probably foci as any full caster where you'd actually bother with weapon skills. The skill gives crit chance and the foci can come with bonus points on magic skills.

It's either weapons or foci. Can't dual wield both.

If you want to play a nuking Runepriest foci are better, if you want him/her to be more of a tank/buffer leveling a weapon would probably be best.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
If ranger can get grand mastery in axe and you when you go pure range it sucks...

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
What do you mean by "waste the enemies' blocks"? Does this work similar to the retaliation mechanic in the HoMM games where a creature could only retaliate (or in this case, block) once per turn (unless it has a spell or special ability)? It would sure explain why my defender misses a lot more than my hunter.
Does the block chance affected by anything? I've noticed my barbarian's attack easily blocked whereas my blademaster make deadly combos with her daggers..

From what I can tell the enemies use the same blocking mechanic as the players, as in they have a certain number of blocks per turn. So if you for instance attack an enemy with Party Member A and the attack gets blocked, that block attempt will not be available to him when you attack him with Party Member B on the same turn.

What do you mean by "waste the enemies' blocks"? Does this work similar to the retaliation mechanic in the HoMM games where a creature could only retaliate (or in this case, block) once per turn (unless it has a spell or special ability)? It would sure explain why my defender misses a lot more than my hunter.
Does the block chance affected by anything? I've noticed my barbarian's attack easily blocked whereas my blademaster make deadly combos with her daggers..

From what I can tell the enemies use the same blocking mechanic as the players, as in they have a certain number of blocks per turn. So if you for instance attack an enemy with Party Member A and the attack gets blocked, that block attempt will not be available to him when you attack him with Party Member B on the same turn.
This is my understanding as well. On really high armour/high block enemies I've been resorting to wasting blocks with my Ranger multi dagger attacks just so my Defender taunts will be guaranteed to land (barring evasion, but I use the poison debuff to lower that).

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I got kinda tired of reading the ridiculous reviews of this game:

Anyways, I ended up reading a bunch of reviews for Might and Magic X: Legacy. I was not surprised to find a bunch of references to the "old school" nature of the game. And in fact, this is something I remarked on myself, here. But in reading these reviews, I noticed a disturbing trend in how the reviewers approached this so-called "old school"ness, this hearkening back to grid-based slogs and turn-based fights-to-the-death. Because a lot of them seem to think games like MMX:L are some kind of gimmick, a bit of nostalgia tossed to the ravenous horde of neck-bearded grognards who would rather fire up their old x386s for a satisfying game of Betrayal at Krondor than touch a console controller.

I doubt anybody from those magazines will read what I wrote, but it felt good. I'm honestly getting fed up with this shit. And if anyone thinks I'm exaggerating, go read some of the reviews off metacritic. Even the good reviews are full of dudes patting themselves on the back with how awesome they are, and how they appreciate the nostalgia of the game but other people won't. :smug: Ugh. Shut the fuck up.

Lhynn

Arcane
Go full melee and just use ranged skills as secondary support.
Pretty sure thats how it was meant to be played, its only this new popamole bullshit that made rangers into pure archers anyway. Pure archers were warriors that trained all their lives, not some faggot that spends his life on the forest cutting wood and hunting rabbits.

At least thats how it seems to me, pure range is only to make the battle a bit easier if you got range advantage, which is very rare and very limited.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The good old days weren't so good! This game's OK I guess if you're stuck in the past but if not just stick to Dragon Age and Skyrim. :hearnoevil:

Lhynn

Arcane
Ah btw, did anyone get the negotiator hireling? 15% reduction on prices seems nice.

Nevermind, its only on traders, thought id get a couple trainings and spells cheaper

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom