Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
My crusader has been pretty boss so far.

rickralsten

Educated
I'm at the point where the main quest is telling me to go to Crag and to find a dude west of Seahaven. Most of the routes I try to the west end in dead ends. I found one way kinda south-ish of Seahaven which appears to go west, but it's loaded with dark crusaders and wizards which kick my butt. Am I missing a way, or do I need to just man up and beat these bad guys?

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm at the point where the main quest is telling me to go to Crag and to find a dude west of Seahaven. Most of the routes I try to the west end in dead ends. I found one way kinda south-ish of Seahaven which appears to go west, but it's loaded with dark crusaders and wizards which kick my butt. Am I missing a way, or do I need to just man up and beat these bad guys?
Keep going west , the guy is behind the three earth elemental you'll happen upon to the north.

bonescraper

My crusader has been pretty boss so far.
Yup, with that relic sword from Seahaven she can kick ass pretty well and support my runepriest with healing/protection spells when needed. Also, she can put him back on his feet if something goes wrong.

Monocause

Arcane
Runepriest is so much better than crusader.

And how, exactly, do you compare these classes given that the roles they fit in are entirely different? The runepriest can't tank or melee unless you gimp him heavily while the crusader can't really be a magical damage dealer.

Or is that just your way of saying you prefer apples to oranges.

How does the Dodge scale? Because the crit bonus is just crap. Unless there are some serious boosters I'm missing the best you can get is +.35% per point, which with even +70% crit bonus from daggers equates to an average of +.245% damage. The point at which diminishing returns on a point in Might or Magic would make them worse than a point in destiny would be around 2000 in either stat.

How do you derive those numbers? Might gives 2% per point (mind you, this stacks additively with skill bonuses as well, so you hit diminishing returns faster with skilled weapons) so at 100 might, you're dealing triple damage. Which means each point in destiny is effectively giving +.835% damage instead of .245%. The break even point would be around 300-400 might, I can't be assed to do the math, but it's nowhere close to 2000.

Ahh, my mistake. I was thinking +5% from each might point, but that's skills that give +5%, not stats.

The break even point is 2%/(.245%) = 816% damage before Destiny gives a bigger return than Might. But this is slightly incorrect, as I was talking about dual wielding daggers, and the same dagger training that improves destiny scaling also improves might, letting might scale at +2.4%. So to be perfectly correct, with duel wielded daggers the breakpoint is 2.4%/(.245%) which gives us a 979% damage before destiny is worth more than Might. I'm not at end game so someone will have to tell me whether this is at all reasonable. Although even this is a bit wrong, as we aren't including the base crit rate in as damage, which pushes the average breakpoint away yet further

That's still pretty awful, but crits also trigger special effects for axes and maces with decent skill levels.
In that case, the issue is that other weapons scale far worse than daggers with crits in the first place. Mauls only get +20%, so they need a base damage bonus 3.5x higher than daggers before the breakpoint arrives. Now we are talking about thousands of Might.

Fact of the matter is that Destiny isn't going to let you pull off something like a stun effect at all reliably, and if you are using stuff that guarantees a critical you'll want Might.

And destiny shouldn't be outstripping might anyways, since it has defensive benefits, while might is purely offensive.

Yeah, I asked whether anyone knew how well dodge scaled. The best information I can find from a google is "pretty shitty", but that was early access.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
But I also noticed that getting stunned in combat will screw you out of XP if you finish the encounter while in that state. What the fuck :retarded:.

Fuck are you kidding? I was wondering why my XPs were so mismatched even though noone was dying and XP for kills is only 1 off at most. This will hurt me in the OCD so much.

Tell me about it. I keep reloading every time someone gets stunned now. I try to wait it out sometimes but I use Poison with my Druid quite a lot so the enemies usually die off to that before my dudes recover. FFS.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that there is a Dark magic spell called Agony that causes enemies to take dark magic damage each time they are hit. I'm slowly leveling Dark magic with my Freemage now. I think my Bladedancer is going to do a lot of damage with his daggers with this spell + the Paladin buff. I just hope that this isn't a spell that bosses auto resist no matter what. That shit is gay as hell. I also didn't realize that Drain Life heals the WHOLE party. Dark Magic is a lot more awesome than I had initially thought.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm currently at the lighthouse and I tear everything up with my blade dancer, barbarian, freemage and rune priest. With that said I think I'm gonna reroll as I have come up with a pretty much unbeatable team.

Bladedancer with daggers, DW, warfare and dodge = 7 hits per turn, warfare skills will hit pretty much always thanks to the number of hits
Crusader with Light, Swords, Shield, Mysticism = primary healer and celestial armour, paladin skill will grant +dps and will be insane on blade dancer with 7 hits
Druid with earth, water, mysticism, foci = water will reduce enemies number of attacks (also works on bosses), earth will have regen and number of other good skills like stone skin
Freemage with dark, air, mysticism, foci = dark has agony that gives dps to each hit so this combined to paladin's skill will make blade dancer hit like a truck, shadow cloak, air has very good aoe, buffs to perception etc.

Bladedancer will pump destiny, might and some vitality, Crusader will have some spirit, some vitality, might and magic (maybe 1/1/1/1? until you have decent enough vit and spirit then just magic and might),
Druid and Freemage raise spirit to around 25 first, then magic. Mysticism brings the mana up pretty quickly. Some vitality as needed.

I feel like it is entirely too early in the game's life cycle for a statement like this.

Lhynn

Arcane

And how, exactly, do you compare these classes given that the roles they fit in are entirely different? The runepriest can't tank or melee unless you gimp him heavily while the crusader can't really be a magical damage dealer.

Well, runepriest can be GM in light, and fire, can wear plate and use shield, and gains more hp per point of vit than the crusader, plus the special ability seems to do an insane amount of damage over time. Crusaders magic is either useless or on par with runepriest.
Their roles are similar.

On my last game i was struggling to make my crusader useful, on my current game my runepriest is pretty much the heart of the team. That said i also took the runepriest because its fire and light, with a freemage and a druid i can GM all magics in the game. The bladedancer seems to be doing more damage than my crusader and my mercenary put together, hitting more reliably and overall being better.

I get that it is early to tell, but its been a cakewalk on warrior with the new team.

Crusaders ain't bad, but only expert mysticism leaves you without much mana. Having your defensive-spammer be heavy armor ain't a horrible thing though. If you are using a character for full defensive you don't care much about losing out on other schools.

The Mandate of Heaven + Blade Dancer sounds great, how well does MoH scale?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
But I also noticed that getting stunned in combat will screw you out of XP if you finish the encounter while in that state. What the fuck :retarded:.

Fuck are you kidding? I was wondering why my XPs were so mismatched even though noone was dying and XP for kills is only 1 off at most. This will hurt me in the OCD so much.

Tell me about it. I keep reloading every time someone gets stunned now. I try to wait it out sometimes but I use Poison with my Druid quite a lot so the enemies usually die off to that before my dudes recover. FFS.
Wow that's p. retarded. it's bad enough to not gain xp if the character is unconscious, but stunned too?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So what's up with them dragon altars, has anyone figured it out yet? There's an Elrath one near the castle but I'm supposed to come back on the "Day of Elrath" which I have no idea when it is. I found an Asha one, I think, with the same problem. And then I found a Shalassa one where I apparently kneeled and prayed but nothing particularly interesting happened. Additional attempts prompted a quote "Nothing happened".

Is it some sort of quiz I'm gonna figure out evetually? Because I'm nearing the end of Act 3 and still nothing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
So what's up with them dragon altars, has anyone figured it out yet? There's an Elrath one near the castle but I'm supposed to come back on the "Day of Elrath" which I have no idea when it is.
That's "Elda" on the calendar or something. I went there on the right day and all I got was a messages saying I kneel and pray or something and nothing really happened, just like you.

Maybe you have to pray on all of them or something. Before I finished the elemental forge I thought that was how you got the dragon blessings.

Monocause

Arcane

Well, runepriest can be GM in light, and fire, can wear plate and use shield, and gains more hp per point of vit than the crusader, plus the special ability seems to do an insane amount of damage over time. Crusaders magic is either useless or on par with runepriest.
Their roles are similar.

On my last game i was struggling to make my crusader useful, on my current game my runepriest is pretty much the heart of the team. That said i also took the runepriest because its fire and light, with a freemage and a druid i can GM all magics in the game. The bladedancer seems to be doing more damage than my crusader and my mercenary put together, hitting more reliably and overall being better.

A Runepriest can wear medium, not heavy armor, and while he can use a shield you're gimping yourself because you want to get GM in focuses at some point. If you try using the runepriest as a tank you're just doing it horribly wrong, same if you develop melee skills like maces.

Their roles in any given party are totally different. Besides, half the people in this thread, myself included, thinks crusaders are quite awesome so it's not a crap class, it's your build that's not working, or you're trying to get the crusader perform at a party role he's not really cut out for.

Keep in mind that the Crusader starts to shine more in early teen levels.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Are there any optional fullscale dungeons that anyone has noticed?
there's the limbo dungeon which according to the localization files has some form of enemy respawn but i don't think anybody has figured out how to reach it yet.
So what's up with them dragon altars, has anyone figured it out yet? There's an Elrath one near the castle but I'm supposed to come back on the "Day of Elrath" which I have no idea when it is.
That's "Elda" on the calendar or something. I went there on the right day and all I got was a messages saying I kneel and pray or something and nothing really happened, just like you.

Maybe you have to pray on all of them or something. Before I finished the elemental forge I thought that was how you got the dragon blessings.
might be limbo dungeon related. i'm gonna try.

Last edited:
So ranged weaponry is a no-go? I was running a barb/barb/runepriest/ranger team, using the ranger for a backup heals and point-blank double-shot bow shooting, but I've only played the game maybe 30 minutes tops and could easily reroll if rangers are shitty.

funkadelik

Arcane
So ranged weaponry is a no-go? I was running a barb/barb/runepriest/ranger team, using the ranger for a backup heals and point-blank double-shot bow shooting, but I've only played the game maybe 30 minutes tops and could easily reroll if rangers are shitty.
The game likes to ambush you with baddies right next to your character, and from what I've read, ranged attack gets gimped to 50% damage in close-quarters. So yeah, no go on the ranger.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
scout isn't such a bad choice due to the range upgrade and the fact that he always attacks every group in in a straight line, plus the gm in axes kinda makes up for the melee ranged gimp.

GrimoireFTW

Learned
Also I don't give my Paladin a lot of vit, I toss a point here and there but with the heavy armor, shield, endurance, and arcane discipline skills hes already extremely tanky from skills alone. I do toss a point into vit here and there but I try to keep even amounts of might,magic, and spirit. Gotta have that big mana pool to keep up celestial armor and mandate of heaven, heal and revive ally's in combat, etc.

does anyone know where to get the grandmaster "word of light spell" btw? my pally is grandmaster but I cant find the spell.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
So what's up with them dragon altars, has anyone figured it out yet? There's an Elrath one near the castle but I'm supposed to come back on the "Day of Elrath" which I have no idea when it is. I found an Asha one, I think, with the same problem. And then I found a Shalassa one where I apparently kneeled and prayed but nothing particularly interesting happened. Additional attempts prompted a quote "Nothing happened".

Is it some sort of quiz I'm gonna figure out evetually? Because I'm nearing the end of Act 3 and still nothing.
There were two places where I saw "You require the blessing of Shalassa to proceed": (1) on the beach near the entrance to Sorpigal when attempting to go in the water and (2) when attempting to cross a broken bridge near the lighthouse. Maybe the Shalassa altar allows you to cross the bridge?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

There were two places where I saw "You require the blessing of Shalassa to proceed": (1) on the beach near the entrance to Sorpigal when attempting to go in the water and (2) when attempting to cross a broken bridge near the lighthouse. Maybe the Shalassa altar allows you to cross the bridge?
Don't think so cause the Elrath altar did nothing. And the blessing that lets you walk through woods was given by a boss on the Earth wing of the Elemental Forge so I figure the others are acquired the same way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom