Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

GrimoireFTW

Learned
What level would you guys recommend starting the Paladin promotion quest. I'm around level 12 and the specters in front of the tomb are just destroying my party.

you cant complete the quest until you get to karthal and buy 1 of 3 stone fragments needed to complete the quest. I don't even remember where the other 2 were. anyways I was around lvl 17 when I cleared the dungeon and even then It was a tad difficult on some fights.

Quatlo

Arcane
it is a spell? I can't remember any classes being called blood caller...
You get 1% mana back for each 2% of health lost, needless to say when anything hits you with aoe you get free mana back and can keep regeneration up 100% of the time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
But I also noticed that getting stunned in combat will screw you out of XP if you finish the encounter while in that state. What the fuck :retarded:.
What's more annoying is that the XP doesn't get redistributed. Say in MM6 you defeat something that gives 80 XP, each character gets 20. If 2 are unconscious, the 2 surviving ones get 40 each instead. In MMXL, if an enemy gives 20 XP to each character, and 2 are stunned, then the surviving ones only get 20 each. Basically every time you kill an enemy with a stunner character you are wasting the XP. It's pretty irritating.

aris

Arcane
Yeah, I don't get the question, honestly. The developers didn't include some secret cheat code in the default stats, and what is a good stat is not hard to figure out. Melee character? Pump might. Spellcaster? Pump Magic with the very occasional point in spirit and vitality so you don't get one shot. Always max weapon skills/main magic skill first. Wow, such complex, much need for guide.
You're wrong. Destiny is a good all around stat for every class, and almost every char benefits from some spell casting. What's more, the returns are diminishing from pumping all into one stat.

I don't see why it should be hard to figure out what the different stats do either.

Disgruntled

Savant
Ok, this is driving me a bit nuts. How/when am I supposed to visit the menthil coast?
Got like 3 promotion quests in that area and i havent found a way in. Am I supposed to get well past act 3 before its unlocked through the run of play?

I tried getting through the jungle and its too difficult atm. Party is at level 19, act 2 completed with Earth and Water blessings unlocked.

funkadelik

Arcane
Ok, this is driving me a bit nuts. How/when am I supposed to visit the menthil coast?
Got like 3 promotion quests in that area and i havent found a way in. Am I supposed to get well past act 3 before its unlocked through the run of play?

I tried getting through the jungle and its too difficult atm. Party is at level 19, act 2 completed with Earth and Water blessings unlocked.
You need the air shard and to defeat the air guardian at the elemental forge to get the blessing to jump using those platforms. You can go through the jungle up north or you can access it through the wildlands. ACT 3, mid 20s is when I got my promotions.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What stat does one need for opening secret doors with the two gears glyph? I can't seem to open the one in the elemental forge
where you find the grandmaster in magic focus or something like that.

But I also noticed that getting stunned in combat will screw you out of XP if you finish the encounter while in that state. What the fuck :retarded:.

Fuck are you kidding? I was wondering why my XPs were so mismatched even though noone was dying and XP for kills is only 1 off at most. This will hurt me in the OCD so much.

Remember that you get XP per kill mid-battle, so if you have someone stunned/dead and kill anything you are losing XP, even if you aren't ending the fight with them out of combat. This is going to be so god damned annoying.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
What stat does one need for opening secret doors with the two gears glyph? I can't seem to open the one in the elemental forge
where you find the grandmaster in magic focus or something like that.

Perception. Just keep trying it.

golgepapaz

Augur
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Hmm tried a lot. Also I've noticed if you cast regeneration you recover health after taking damage from the glyph, but the spell does not expire since you are not moving.
Probably a bug..

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I got a Ranger too, actually he's very decent in my party. I use him as supporting healer/buffer and dual wielding daggers deal nice damage. The Rangers high attack count thanks to the dual daggers is also handy if my Party faces enemies with high blocking attempts. The dagger attacks can be used to "waste" the enemies' blocks helping the Tank taunt for example.
What do you mean by "waste the enemies' blocks"? Does this work similar to the retaliation mechanic in the HoMM games where a creature could only retaliate (or in this case, block) once per turn (unless it has a spell or special ability)? It would sure explain why my defender misses a lot more than my hunter.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
What level would you guys recommend starting the Paladin promotion quest. I'm around level 12 and the specters in front of the tomb are just destroying my party.

I imagine they're there for the specific reason of letting you gauge whether you're ready or not. Last I tried was lvl 16 and I probably could destroy these spectres if I chugged loads of potions and buffed extensively but figured it'd be a slog if i were to meet more of the things inside.

I'd wager it's a lvl 20-30 range affair.

EDIT: Assuming you're playing on warrior.

IIRC, daggers were insanely OP'd in Legend of Grimrock, as well. I think some developers swing the pendulum too far the other way when it comes to breaking away from the traditional sword and board model of a fighter.

Is anyone using two handed weapons? Are they worth not having a shield?

I killed those spectres first thing after coming out of the elemental forge the first time. Was level 11-12 I guess? My only melee was a barbarian with a twohander maul, he was clubbing for 90 each round, 3 runepriests spamming heals or fireballs or just plinking for like 16 damage with a useless unskilled melee attack. I went through a lot of mana potions (probably like 15-20, around half my stock, all the weakest variety) but was never in any serious danger. Turned around after seeing the ghouls inside the crypt, clearly not worth the effort to fight that shit right now.

This is the part where the game is supposed to open up right? I hope it gets a lot better now, up to this point it has felt really linear and going through the dungeons for a giant pile of nonmagical rings and potions I'll never use is just a chore.

Yeah, I don't get the question, honestly. The developers didn't include some secret cheat code in the default stats, and what is a good stat is not hard to figure out. Melee character? Pump might. Spellcaster? Pump Magic with the very occasional point in spirit and vitality so you don't get one shot. Always max weapon skills/main magic skill first. Wow, such complex, much need for guide.
You're wrong. Destiny is a good all around stat for every class, and almost every char benefits from some spell casting. What's more, the returns are diminishing from pumping all into one stat.

I don't see why it should be hard to figure out what the different stats do either.

How does the Dodge scale? Because the crit bonus is just crap. Unless there are some serious boosters I'm missing the best you can get is +.35% per point, which with even +70% crit bonus from daggers equates to an average of +.245% damage. The point at which diminishing returns on a point in Might or Magic would make them worse than a point in destiny would be around 2000 in either stat.

Does the block chance affected by anything? I've noticed my barbarian's attack easily blocked whereas my blademaster make deadly combos with her daggers..

AFAIK it's a flat rate independent of the attack you are guarding against, and defending doubles your chance. But it can only trigger a set number of times in a turn (depending on abilities), so multi-hit attacks will outright hit more times than they can handle. OTOH, two-handed grandmaster bonus makes you unblockable (someone check: do you still suck up block attempts that way?)

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
So, Elven gloves that gives +Dark Magic skills dropped for me.

Suuuuuuuuuuure.

I got a Ranger too, actually he's very decent in my party. I use him as supporting healer/buffer and dual wielding daggers deal nice damage. The Rangers high attack count thanks to the dual daggers is also handy if my Party faces enemies with high blocking attempts. The dagger attacks can be used to "waste" the enemies' blocks helping the Tank taunt for example.

Well, the whole reason I picked a ranger was for the use of bows. But with that 50% gimp on ranged damage at melee range, and the fact that so many fights in dungeons seem to start in melee range, makes me wonder why the hell I should bother.

Is far as dual wielding goes, if I wanted to do that I would have rolled a BD. I get what you're saying, but it feels cheesy to me to roll a bow ranger and then just use daggers.

Anyways, I'm playing on adventurer right now, so the game is a bit more forgiving. My next play through will be on Warrior, and I'm thinking I will roll a BD/Crusader/Runie/Druid. There doesn't seem to be any benefits to developing a ranged character.
This is exactly how I feel about my Ranger - I started out pumping Bow expecting it to be a decent skill, but it's horrible, so now she's just a ghetto dagger Bladedancer/backup buffer. I feel like Bows should do a lot more damage (like ignoring the melee penalty at Master/having a guaranteed crit/doing more base damage). As it is now, there is really zero reason to have a Ranger in your party.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Really, ranged skills should just drop the -50% debuff after a certain point (Expert or Master if we're being reasonable, GM is too far). With that there you're almost always gimped and while you could theoretically push enemies back there's a lot of areas where that just isn't going to happen. Also, many enemy parties will flatout win the damage war if you're going to range attack them with your one or two bowmen/mages. There's a number of nasty enemies in the game whose ranged attacks/spells can seriously smash the entire party real fast.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Also, ranged damage from bows should have some kind of attribute that makes it worth taking. Armor penetration, or something like that. Otherwise, bows are just long range melee attacks without any of the status effects (like stun, bleed, etc).

Syvere

Educated
I'm currently at the lighthouse and I tear everything up with my blade dancer, barbarian, freemage and rune priest. With that said I think I'm gonna reroll as I have come up with a pretty much unbeatable team.

Bladedancer with daggers, DW, warfare and dodge = 7 hits per turn, warfare skills will hit pretty much always thanks to the number of hits
Crusader with Light, Swords, Shield, Heavy armour, Mysticism = primary healer and celestial armour, paladin skill will grant +dps and will be insane on blade dancer with 7 hits
Druid with earth, water, mysticism, foci = water will reduce enemies number of attacks (also works on bosses), earth will have regen and number of other good skills like stone skin
Freemage with dark, air, mysticism, foci = dark has agony that gives dps to each hit so this combined to paladin's skill will make blade dancer hit like a truck, shadow cloak, air has very good aoe, buffs to perception etc.

Bladedancer will pump destiny, might and some vitality, Crusader will have some spirit, some vitality, might and magic (maybe 1/1/1/1? until you have decent enough vit and spirit then just magic and might),
Druid and Freemage raise spirit to around 25 first, then magic. Mysticism brings the mana up pretty quickly. Some vitality as needed.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
How does the Dodge scale? Because the crit bonus is just crap. Unless there are some serious boosters I'm missing the best you can get is +.35% per point, which with even +70% crit bonus from daggers equates to an average of +.245% damage. The point at which diminishing returns on a point in Might or Magic would make them worse than a point in destiny would be around 2000 in either stat.

How do you derive those numbers? Might gives 2% per point (mind you, this stacks additively with skill bonuses as well, so you hit diminishing returns faster with skilled weapons) so at 100 might, you're dealing triple damage. Which means each point in destiny is effectively giving +.835% damage instead of .245%. The break even point would be around 300-400 might, I can't be assed to do the math, but it's nowhere close to 2000.

That's still pretty awful, but crits also trigger special effects for axes and maces with decent skill levels. And destiny shouldn't be outstripping might anyways, since it has defensive benefits, while might is purely offensive.

Lhynn

Arcane
I'm currently at the lighthouse and I tear everything up with my blade dancer, barbarian, freemage and rune priest. With that said I think I'm gonna reroll as I have come up with a pretty much unbeatable team.

Bladedancer with daggers, DW, warfare and dodge = 7 hits per turn, warfare skills will hit pretty much always thanks to the number of hits
Crusader with Light, Swords, Shield, Mysticism = primary healer and celestial armour, paladin skill will grant +dps and will be insane on blade dancer with 7 hits
Druid with earth, water, mysticism, foci = water will reduce enemies number of attacks (also works on bosses), earth will have regen and number of other good skills like stone skin
Freemage with dark, air, mysticism, foci = dark has agony that gives dps to each hit so this combined to paladin's skill will make blade dancer hit like a truck, shadow cloak, air has very good aoe, buffs to perception etc.

Bladedancer will pump destiny, might and some vitality, Crusader will have some spirit, some vitality, might and magic (maybe 1/1/1/1? until you have decent enough vit and spirit then just magic and might),
Druid and Freemage raise spirit to around 25 first, then magic. Mysticism brings the mana up pretty quickly. Some vitality as needed.
Runepriest is so much better than crusader.

Syvere

Educated
Runepriest is so much better than crusader.

But rune priest doesn't have nearly as much synergy value. Paladin's skill alone is good enough reason to pick him over rune priest.

Besides if you build crusader like he's meant to be, a battle priest he'll fill the role much better. He'll have much more HP, be tanker thanks to armour, hit harder thanks to relic swords, and get to GM Light faster.

Sure his magic might not be as high as runepriest's but he has other advantages over the dwarf. And since his only use of magic is celestial armour his smaller mana pool shouldn't be an issue with mysticism. Warfare also increases your mana so that might be a solid use of skill points as well.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom