Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X - Legacy

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What's the advantage of using two handed weapons? It looks like nobody is using them.

Not a clue, to be frank.
GM two-handed makes you unblockable.

Scout special power is ranged, and he's going melee exclusive in an attempt to be "creative".
Special powers don't matter much, and also ranged sucks, so picking the characters for the other things they can do (like GM Axe DW for the Scout) is a better approach. My Ranger sucked until I ditched ranged and turned him into a Dagger DW monster that can Regenerate the party and poison the enemy. Much fun is now being had by all (except his MP pool sucks because I didn't put enough points in Spirit later on, though Expert Mysticism helps a bit).
If you put points in light/fire then definitely scout is p. awesome. You can just leave them on expert and get a bunch of good expert level abilities that remain useful even without scaling.

Arkeus

Arcane
What's the advantage of using two handed weapons? It looks like nobody is using them.
Enemy can't block if you have GM, and Two-handed weapons do a shitload of damage. However, only Orcs can get GM in 2H.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oooooooh f.u.c.k. I knew it would end with a game breaking bug.

After enjoying this game tremendously for the past two days, my epic run ended with the permanent combat mode bug. I teleported to a city, then went outside and now I'm stuck in a permanent combat mode (danger indicator always red), even though there aren't any mobs around. Can't go back, can't save, can't do anything. My last two saves don't help, probably borked too, and the next ones are way, way too far behind, can't be bothered to redo the last 10 hours or so.

Funny, my first run in HomamVI ended exactly the same, had to wait half a year for Ubi to fix their shit.
Ok, it was fun, with you better luck and see this thread in summer

:hero:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Not a clue, to be frank.
GM two-handed makes you unblockable.

Scout special power is ranged, and he's going melee exclusive in an attempt to be "creative".
Special powers don't matter much, and also ranged sucks, so picking the characters for the other things they can do (like GM Axe DW for the Scout) is a better approach. My Ranger sucked until I ditched ranged and turned him into a Dagger DW monster that can Regenerate the party and poison the enemy. Much fun is now being had by all (except his MP pool sucks because I didn't put enough points in Spirit later on, though Expert Mysticism helps a bit).
If you put points in light/fire then definitely scout is p. awesome. You can just leave them on expert and get a bunch of good expert level abilities that remain useful even without scaling.

Expert doesn't take that much of an investment does it? I mean, shouldn't it be fairly possible to stick with axe dual wield with endurance and have points left for expert magic?

After enjoying this game tremendously for the past two days, my epic run ended with the permanent combat mode bug. I teleported to a city, then went outside and now I'm stuck in a permanent combat mode (danger indicator always red), even though there aren't any mobs around. Can't go back, can't save, can't do anything. My last two saves don't help, probably borked too, and the next ones are way, way too far behind, can't be bothered to redo the last 10 hours or so.

Funny, my first run in HomamVI ended exactly the same, had to wait half a year for Ubi to fix their shit.

Man, that sucks.

That's the idea, yeah. On the other hand, if Two-Handed Maces are powerful, then in theory using those could be better, since Barbs can GM both Two-Handed and Mace, but only Master Dual-Wield.

The bonus for GMing Two-Handed is to be unblockable, but dual-wielding already bypasses blocks through multiple hits, and there are plenty of other things that can make you unblockable. Of course there's also the pure statistics bonus of further ranks in two-handed. A lot is going to depend on equipment you find, if you can find a two-hander mace that gives you more attacks then it will probably outdamage the dual-wielded ones by a lot, but otherwise damage is probably pretty equal and dual-wielding would stun a heck of a lot more.

Expert doesn't take that much of an investment does it? I mean, shouldn't it be fairly possible to stick with axe dual wield with endurance and have points left for expert magic?

Not at all, Expert is the first breakpoint and you can hit it at level 3. But keep in mind that you'd want to invest in your magic stat, get mana, and invest points in the skill tree for more power if the spell is anything other than strict stat-less utility spells. If you are planning something like going Expert in Light for the shield or Earth for Regen, they will become hopelessly obsolete by the midgame without corresponding focus on being a mage.

Arkeus

Arcane

Usually the way to unbreak this bug is to go back to the place you teleported to the city from. There should be an enemy there that the game think you are fighting against, and you have to kill it.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wouldn't describe "hit enemy four times, get blocked twice" as "bypassing block".

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah I think so, expert just requires the first tier on the skill bar.

I wouldn't describe "hit enemy four times, get blocked twice" as "bypassing block".
Well it's better and more reliable than two-handed if you can't gm it, your damage gets reduced instead of being negated altogether.

Greatness

Cipher
Anyone know where to get the key for the door in level 1 of the Cursed Ruins (Paladin quest)?

Alchemist

Arcane
I'm going with 2H on my orc Barbarian for flavor reasons. Orcs wielding massive 2H weapons just seems to fit better than dual wield.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Usually the way to unbreak this bug is to go back to the place you teleported to the city from. There should be an enemy there that the game think you are fighting against, and you have to kill it.

Holy shit, it fucking worked.

Thanks man.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

happened to me too, had to backtrack for 15 mins walking step-for-step in combat.

If your objective is to stun the enemy with a crit, would you like to hit 4 times and potentially get blocked twice, or hit once?

Furthermore, if there is another melee in the party being unblockable just means your teammate gets blocked more, while leading with a dual-wielder means your #2 hits.

And there are ways beyond GM two-handed to prevent or negate block.

Last edited:
I'm currently at the lighthouse and I tear everything up with my blade dancer, barbarian, freemage and rune priest. With that said I think I'm gonna reroll as I have come up with a pretty much unbeatable team.

Bladedancer with daggers, DW, warfare and dodge = 7 hits per turn, warfare skills will hit pretty much always thanks to the number of hits
Crusader with Light, Swords, Shield, Heavy armour, Mysticism = primary healer and celestial armour, paladin skill will grant +dps and will be insane on blade dancer with 7 hits
Druid with earth, water, mysticism, foci = water will reduce enemies number of attacks (also works on bosses), earth will have regen and number of other good skills like stone skin
Freemage with dark, air, mysticism, foci = dark has agony that gives dps to each hit so this combined to paladin's skill will make blade dancer hit like a truck, shadow cloak, air has very good aoe, buffs to perception etc.

Bladedancer will pump destiny, might and some vitality, Crusader will have some spirit, some vitality, might and magic (maybe 1/1/1/1? until you have decent enough vit and spirit then just magic and might),
Druid and Freemage raise spirit to around 25 first, then magic. Mysticism brings the mana up pretty quickly. Some vitality as needed.

I've been running this team and it's been working out pretty great so far. It's my first run through the game, just finished the lighthouse with pretty much no issues. :greatjob:

People keep raving about fire magic, though, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't sub in a runepriest instead of the crusader. Blah, I'm always so indecisive when it comes to rolling parties in these games.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Has anyone tried full magic or full ranged+magic yet? It should be doable, just... harder.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Expert takes 6 skill points, which is 2 levels. Keep that mind when planning and if you intend to take Expert in a lot of misc skills. Generally I find focusing on reaching Master or GM more efficient, especially since unlike MM6-8 the cost of skill raises doesn't go up at higher ranks, and the Master and GM perks are very good. That said, for magic, sometimes just the single point to get novice may be enough if it's a particular spell you're after (like novice Water for frost bolt, or novice Prime for Identify, or Expert Light for Spirit Armour).

Has anyone tried full magic or full ranged+magic yet? It should be doable, just... harder.
Magic is pretty OP, I'd think 4 mages would be fairly easy for most of the game. Crusader + 3 mages would be pretty top-tier, and crusaders are arguably mage with GM Light.

Ranged though... Rangers look to actually be pretty decent at ranged once they class up (have fun with all the melee fights until then), but Scouts are flat out crap no matter where their enemy is.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Expert takes 6 skill points, which is 2 levels. Keep that mind when planning and if you intend to take Expert in a lot of misc skills. Generally I find focusing on reaching Master or GM more efficient, especially since unlike MM6-8 the cost of skill raises doesn't go up at higher ranks, and the Master and GM perks are very good. That said, for magic, sometimes just the single point to get novice may be enough if it's a particular spell you're after (like novice Water for frost bolt, or novice Prime for Identify, or Expert Light for Spirit Armour).
Actually Identify is expert level.

It would be really helpful if the game offered a spell list...somewhere...like I don't know, in the manual. It would make skill choices a lot easier.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Looking at the state of things, they probably didn't finalize the spells until like a week before release. I wouldn't be surprised if the first balance patch were huge.

krathax

Educated
Actually Identify is expert level.

It would be really helpful if the game offered a spell list...somewhere...like I don't know, in the manual. It would make skill choices a lot easier.

I take no credit for the below list, I found it useful;

Air Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Air Ward
Cost: 10
ADPM: N/A
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Air Resistance for 5 turns.

Sparks
Cost: 15
ADPM: 1.3 per enemy
Desc: Spreads sparks of lightning, dealing 13 - 27 points of damage (Air) to all enemies in adjacent tiles.

Wind Shield
Desc: Strong winds surround the party and increase each party member's Evade value against ranged attack by 13 for 3 turns.

Gust of Wind
ADPM: 1.06
Desc: A gust of wind starts blowing and deals 5 - 11 damage (Air) to target enemy within a range of 2. The target is pushed back and dealt 5 - 11 damage (Physical).

Expert Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Eagle Eye
Cost: 20
Desc: All party members are granted +5 Perception. Lasts 3 turns.

Lightning Bolt
ADPM: 2.2
Desc: Hurls a bolt of lightning on a target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 21 - 45 damage (Air).

Clear Mind
Desc: Clears the mind of target Feebleminded party member.

Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Crusader, Ranger, Rune Priest, Hunter, Freemage, Shaman

Chain Lightning
Cost: 30
ADPM: 0.88 per enemy
Desc: Hurls a bolt of lighting at a group of enemies within a range of 3. The bolt will jump and fork from one enemy to another in an electrical chain-reaction, dealing each time Lightning (Air) damage equal to 16 - 37 times the number of targets.

Cyclone
Cost: 50
ADPM: 0.93 per enemy per turn.
Desc: Summons a cyclone that hunts enemies for 4 turns and deals 33 - 60 damage (Air) to enemies or party members it reaches.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Freemage, Shaman

Thunderstorm
Cost: 50
ADPM: 0.8 per monster2 per turn. Best case 21.6 (3 monsters for 3 turns)
Desc: Summon a storm for 3 turns in front of the party. Each enemy in the storm is dealt damage (Air) equal to 31 - 49 times the number of affected enemies.

Earth Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Blade Dancer, Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Earth Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Earth Resistance for 5 turns.

Entangle
ADPM: 1.76
Desc: You deal 20 - 33 damage (Earth) to target enemy within a range of 3. This enemy can't move this turn.

Regeneration
ADPM: 3 health immediately, 7.5 after 3 turns
Desc: Restores 20 - 27 health to each party member immediately and 11 per turn during the next 3 turns.

Cure Poison
Desc: Withdraws Poison from target Poisoned party member.

Expert Rank
Classes: Blade Dancer, Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Poison Spray
ADPM: 0.9 per monster (initial), Additional 1 per monster per turn.
Desc: You poison each enemy in front of the party: they are dealt 7 - 20 damage (Earth) and a further 16 damage (Earth) on each following turn. Their evade value is decreased by 11.

Stone Skin
Desc: The skin of each party member hardens like stone. This increases Armour value by 8. Lasts 3 turns.

Strength of the Earth
Desc: Cures target Weakened party member.

Master Rank
Classes: Ranger, Freemage, Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Poison Cloud
ADPM: 0.925 per monster initial. Additional 1 per monster per turn.
Desc: Spreads a poison cloud in front of the party, lasting 3 turns, dealing 16 - 21 damage (Earth) and poisoning all enemies within. They are dealt 16 damage (Earth) on each following turn and their Evade value is decreased by 11.

Acid Splash
Cost: 25
ADPM: 1.6
Desc: Deals 33 - 47 damage (Earth) to target enemy in close combat and decreases his Armour Value by 50%.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Rune Priest, Shaman

Crushing Weight
Cost: 35
ADPM: Varies; 0.43 per 100 hp remaining.
Desc: Target enemy in close combat loses 15% of his current health.

Water Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Freemage, Druid, Shaman

Water Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Water Resistance for 5 turns.

Consciousness
Desc: Awakens target Sleeping party member.

Frozen Ground
Desc: You freeze the ground beneath a group of enemies within a range of 3. They can't move this turn.

Ice Bolt
ADPM: 1.76
Desc: Hurls a bolt of ice on target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 20 - 33 damage (Water) and decreasing it's strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for the turn.

Expert Rank

Ice Prison
Desc: Target enemy in close combat gets captured inside an ice prison this turn. The enemy can't attack or move but also can't be attacked.

Circle of Winter
ADPM: 0.925 per monster
Desc: A circle of frost radiate from the party dealing 13 - 24 damage (Water) to each enemy around and decreasing their strikes by 1 (to a minimum of 1) for the turn.

Water Flows Freely
Desc: Cure target Paralysed party member.

Master Rank

Blizzard
ADPM: 2 per monster
Desc: Each enemy in front of the party is dealt 33 - 47 damage (Water) and strikes 1 time less (to a minimum of 1) this turn.

Liquid Membrane
Desc: You generate a transparent and fluid membrane which protects the party this turn, reducing incoming damage by 7%

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Shaman

Tsunami
Cost: 40
ADPM: 1.3 per monster
Desc: Deals 47 - 60 damage (Water) to all enemies in front of the party, pushing them away.

Fire Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Defender, Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Fire Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Fire Resistance for 5 turns.

Torchlight
Cost: 5
Desc: A torch like flame improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Fire Bolt
ADPM: 2
Desc: Hurls a bolt of fire on target enemy within a range of 4, dealing 33 - 47 damage (Fire).

Danger Sense
Desc: You sense the presence of nearby enemies and see them on the minimap. Lasts 33 turns.

Expert Rank
Classes: Defender, Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Burning Determination
Desc: Burning determination bolsters the party, protecting them from getting paralysed, sleeping or stunned. Lasts 3 turns.

Inner Fire
Desc: All party members are granted +5 Might value. Lasts 3 turns.

Fireball
ADPM: 0.9 per monster
Desc: Hurls a ball of fire on a group of enemies within a range of 3, dealing 20 - 33 damage (Fire) to each of them.

Master Rank
Classes: Scout, Shaman, Freemage, Rune Priest

Fire Shield
Desc: All party members are protected by a Fire Shield dealing 5 - 8 retaliation damage (Fire) when the enemy strikes. Lasts 3 turns.

Fire Blast
Cost: 45
ADPM: 1.2 per monster
Desc: Shoots a blast of fire dealing 47 - 60 damage (Fire) to each enemy within a range of 3.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Rune Priest

Fire Burst
Cost: 60
ADPM: 1.325 per monster
Desc: Generates a storm of fire dealing 73 - 86 damage (Fire) to all enemies in adjacent tiles.

Light Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Druid, Scout, Freemage, Crusader, Rune Priest

Light Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Light Resistance for 5 turns.

Light Orb
Desc: A floating orb of light improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Celestial Armour
ADPM: 2.4 health
Desc: A celestial armour protects the party from the next 60 damage they would be dealt during the next 3 turns.

Clairvoyance
Desc: The light of Elrath reveals nearby traps. Lasts 33 turns.

Expert Rank

Cleansing Light
Desc: Dispels any Curse on target party member.

Heal
ADPM: 4.9 health
Desc: Restores 67 - 80 health to target party member.

Radiant Weapon
ADPM: 1.35
Desc: A radiant weapon swings at target enemy in close combat. Target is dealt 7 - 20 damage (Light), 7 - 20 damage (Physical) and can't block this turn.

Master Rank

Resurrection
Desc: Target party member is resurrected

Heal Party
ADPM: 5.3
Desc: Restores 40 - 53 health to each party member.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Crusader, Rune Priest

Word of Light
Cost: 40
ADPM: 1.35 health, 0.34 per monster
Desc: A heavenly light deals 7 - 20 damage (Light) to each enemy within a range of 3 and restores 7 - 20 health to each party member.

Dark Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Freemage

Darkness Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +7 Dark Resistance for 5 turns.

Dark Vision
Desc: The darkness discloses what it hides and improves your vision in darkness for 33 turns.

Shadow Cloak
Desc: You blend the party in shadows, making the next attack from any enemy miss during the next 5 turns.

Whispering Shadows
Desc: You sense the presence of secrets and able to discover them for 33 turns.

Expert Rank

Purge
Desc: Dispel all positive conditions from target enemy in close combat.

Drain Life
ADPM: 1.075, 0.375 health
Desc: You drain 16 - 27 health (Dark) from target enemy in close combat and transfer 7 - 8 of them to the party.

Sleep
Desc: Target enemy within a range of 1 falls asleep. They can't attack, move, block or evade but will wake up if dealt damage.

Master Rank

Terror
Desc: Target monster within a range of 4 is terrorised and runs away for 2 turns.

Agony
ADPM: Varies
Desc: Inflicts the Agony condition on target enemy within a range of 4. The target is dealt 8 - 11 damage (Dark) each time it is dealt damage (Physical).

Grand Master Rank

Weakness
ADPM: 0.15 per monster per turn
Desc: Each enemy around deals 20% less damage (Physical) and is dealt 7 damage (Dark) each turn. Lasts 2 turns.

Primordial Magic

Novice Rank
Classes: Rune Priest, Druid, Freemage

Arcane Ward
Desc: Each party member is granted +3 Resistance to all schools of magic for 5 turns.

Sundering
Desc: The armour of each enemy within a range of 3 is sundered: Armour value is decreased by 11.

Time Stasis
Desc: Target enemy in close combat is trapped in a timeless state. They can't be attacked nor attack or move during this turn.

Mana Surge
ADPM: 2.68
Desc: Next time target enemy within a range of 5 casts a spell, they are dealt 47 - 60 damage (Prime).

Expert Rank

Dispel Magic
Desc: Dispels all positive and negative conditions from all party members.

Heroic Destiny
Desc: All party members are granted +5 destiny. Lasts 3 turns.

Identify
Desc: Identifies one unidentified item in the inventory.

Master Rank

Implosion
ADPM: 2.14 + 1.2 per remaining target 100 hp per additional monster
Desc: Target enemy within a range of 3 is dealt 47 - 60 damage (Prime). Each other enemy close to it is dealt 30% damage (Prime), based on targets remaining health.

Spirit Beacon
Desc: Summons a beacon or teleports the party to the last summoned beacon.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Druid, Freemage

Hour of Power
Desc: The Might, Magic, Perception and Destiny values of all party members are increased by 3. Lasts 12 turns.

Warfare

Novice Rank
Classes: Ranger, Hunter, Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Challenge
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. That enemy must attack you next turn.

Shatter
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. It's armour value is reduced by 11.

Expert Rank
Classes: Ranger, Hunter, Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Skull Crack
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The target enemy can not cast spells until the end of his next turn.

Unstoppable Assault
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will not miss and can't be blocked.

Master Rank
Classes: Crusader, Blade Dancer, Scout, Barbarian, Mercenary, Defender

Intercept
Desc: Select a party member. You intercept all attacks aimed at that member during the enemy's next turn.

Furious Blow
Cost: All mana
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will deal 0.5 additional damage per mana consumed.

Grand Master Rank
Classes: Mercenary, Defender

Taunt
Desc: All enemies will direct their attacks at this party member during their next turn.

Flawless Assault
Desc: You perform a melee attack on target enemy. The first strike will not miss, can't be blocked and will be a critical. The target can not block until end of turn.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Wow, GM Earth spell is total garbage.

*Unless it scales in an awesome fashion, of course. 30% of enemy health in one hit? HUEHUEHUE

Last edited:
You can check all of your potential spells in the skill list, simply uncheck the option that hides spells you don't have. Checking out all of the spells takes 15s creating a party.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't see much point in the GM Light spell either, particularly considering what else you could cast that turn.

Spaceman Spiff

Educated
Alright, the beginning was rough, getting used to the combat lock and not being able to initiate on the enemies that are just standing around, the unexpectedly high difficulty, technical issues and uninteresting MMO-like walls of text with lore...
But then I found out that this game has riddle chests.
ten out of ten, amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom