Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
But, Gozma, at the same time towns in those early games were populated and felt alive, once you walked into a room, whether it be shop or tavern or throne room. I know it's just me, but I have fond memories of the kindly wizard Nordon and his sister as early NPc questgivers. I can picture the animation of the blacksmith as he hammered away at his work, and how grateful to see his adventuring supplies. The Lords of Cron had their own personalities, and who could forget Foof, Lord Slayer's jester!

Gozma

Arcane
I agree with that kind of stuff; I am not saying M&M should be played on a blank with primary colored spheres standing in for enemies or something. But it's an essentially separate appeal from verisimilitude and the sense of it being another coherent world, which has taken over a lot of "genre" fiction.

Varnaan

Augur
NWC tried to make the universe coherent while keeping the goofiness, there is a narrative going through the M&M and HoMM games or at least until the later games in both series; Ubisoft is doing the same thing except the narrative is (will be) much more linear, streamlined, obvious and "gritty" as seen in Might and Magic Heroes 6.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree with that kind of stuff; I am not saying M&M should be played on a blank with primary colored spheres standing in for enemies or something. But it's an essentially separate appeal from verisimilitude and the sense of it being another coherent world, which has taken over a lot of "genre" fiction.

It's what a lot of people play this genre for, even the classics.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Previous Might & Magic games may have included sci-fi elements as a by-product of what was popular at the time. There were a lot of sci-fi literature, movies & television shows in the 90s. Not as many sci-fi material currently today.
Suuure. :retarded:

You don't think so?

Even X-Com had that little thing X-Files (amongst others) running then.

What would you homage today? Battlestar Galactica? Prometheus?

Hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The inadequacy/stupidity of the statement isn't about what deserves homage (X files sure doesn't btw) it's about the quantity of SF in the entertainement industry (books, films, tv shows). I've lived in both eras, always craving SF (since 1977, my first SF book) and I'm positive there's way more SF now than then. Now the quality...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There's a shit-ton of sci-fi on today. Waaaaaay more than when I was a kid. Quality is indeed the question.

I like modern Doctor Who, though.

Gozma

Arcane

It's what a lot of people play this genre for, even the classics.

I'm not denying that it's one method of appeal but I'm denying that M&M is for that, or that therefore M&M was a bad attempt at the one true goal of RPGs or something.

Zeriel

Arcane
A lot of sci-fi kind of became it's own, entrenched jungle of tropes rather than the speculative, out-there role it filled in its early days, though. Sci-fi used to be synonymous with exploring what science might one day turn the real world into. Now its synonymous with space marines and gritty horror and fantasy-with-high-tech-window-dressing.

Multi-headed Cow

So there are more community reps than designers. That's cool.

That's cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So there are more community reps than designers. That's cool.

That's cool.

(As you might imagine, not the whole dev team that works on MMX is shown in the above movie, but we tried to show you at least one person on Ubisoft’s and one on Limbic Entertainment’s side, who is responsible for a certain aspect of the production. We'll still reveal the hidden faces of all dev team members working on MMX, stay tuned! :))

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some M&M collection that chick had. DVD cases bought from ebay especially for that video. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
M&M_X_LEGACY_11371663841-mini.jpg
M&M_X_LEGACY_31371663859-mini.jpg
M&M_X_LEGACY_21371663879-mini.jpg

The variety ! My choice is sooo relevant, I feel like an important customer already. :lol:

Vote #2 is a bit better. But still, I hope for their sake that I'm not representative of their target audience because so far, all their cheap PR stunts make me want to slap them. Hard.

Alchemist

Arcane
the unfilled Xs are more subtle and :obviously:

Agreed - I voted for B.

I wish they would commission cover art from Larry Elmore (M&M VI's cover artist), instead of having the faux old book look though. I could settle for Boris if Larry is not available.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom