Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Luzur

Good Sir
thank god.

Luzur: You should ask them to show you the votes they plan to put up on the site before they put them up, so you can ask them to clarify this type of stuff.

i didnt think about it, and there where no mentions at all about any tavern songs there either.

Luzur

Good Sir
i guess most of them who commented are Heroes Roundtable forum members? alot of MM6-8 fans there, too many almost.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/51c9af34888ef6f23c000000

Good news for people who are butthurt over the grid-based movement:

Our conclusion was that getting back to free movement could make sense for future installments

Something to look forward to. If they can improve the TB and encounters from MM6, it'll be swell. If they ever get to make that game, that is.

That said, I'm glad they're not flipflopping with this one at this stage. I somehow read your post meaning that they'd be doing exactly that, which would've been a really shit call from them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, lots of weeaboo blobber name-dropping. felipepepe would be proud.
Nope, mentioning Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land instead of Wizardry 6/7/8 (or GRIMOIRE!) is just too hipster-ish. And he mentions SMT, but the best game in the series is with third-person free roaming gameplay...

Keldryn

Arcane
Grid-based movement is fine with me. My favorite Might & Magic games were III, IV, and V. I played VI for a while, but it didn't really grab me.

Retro games are still fairly popular right now, so it's a good decision on their part. Plus, it makes game development simpler and less expensive -- especially in the art department. I think it's a smart choice for trying to re-launch the brand.

Stabwound

Arcane
Anyone who thinks the free-roaming play of MM6+ is superior to MM3-5 should be fed into the ovens. MM6 plays like a FPS for babbies. Fucking awful.

Black_Willow

Arcane
10270.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm not sure what kind of opinion you'd expect from a guy with a Xeen avatar.

If you think the combat and combat design was better than MM3-5 you have problems. Yes, let's put gigantic armies in clusters all over the world that attack you at once with fireballs, what great fun. It's not turn based and it's not action; it's babby's first FPS/RPG game.

I am enjoying the game for what it is (playing it for the first time ever) but if you are telling me that MM3-5 are not rock solid designed compared to MM6+ then I don't know what to tell you.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ahem. Ho-hum.

MM6 is a great game. There.

On a more serious note, while I'm happy that the current MMX is grid-based, and I'm happy that MMXI will be free-roaming, I'm not too happy that this is turning into "we will pick one and stick to it". What's wrong with having somes games be grid-based and others be free-roaming? They could alternate between them, or they could stick to grid based for "number" games and have a spinoff be free roaming. It's not as if both systems can't work or that both can't play up to M&M's major strengths as a series.

Xenich

Cipher
Ahem. Ho-hum.

MM6 is a great game. There.

On a more serious note, while I'm happy that the current MMX is grid-based, and I'm happy that MMXI will be free-roaming, I'm not too happy that this is turning into "we will pick one and stick to it". What's wrong with having somes games be grid-based and others be free-roaming? They could alternate between them, or they could stick to grid based for "number" games and have a spinoff be free roaming. It's not as if both systems can't work or that both can't play up to M&M's major strengths as a series.

Publisher thinking. It is a "one size fits all" attempt to streamline their effort into a project so they can increase profits. Two different games means two different sets of tools, design approaches, etc... It is more work and we are talking about an industry that has spent all of its time over the last decade in trying to lead the groupies to a single boy band favorite (ie Call of duty <infinity>, Battlefield <infinity>, etc...), rubber stamping games is good money as long as you have a consumer base of idiots.

I would like to see someone develop a game engine that has the ability to change "style" and "flavor" through a simple menu setting. Sure, it is twice the work (and then some) to design such a engine acceptable to the different flavors, but then they could rubber stamp to their hearts content and I don't think (aside from story and content blandness) too many people would mind.

Think about it, imagine through some menu adjustments, you could turn a game like Diablo or Dungeon Siege into something like Divinity Original sin. Don't like complex character development, click the setting "I don't want to think, just ding me!", Don't care for turn based strategy, click the setting "I want to pound keys as fast as I can!", Don't care for puzzle solving, click the setting "I am really drunk, just give me the answer!", etc... so on and so forth.

Xenich

Cipher
Fuck those that want free-roaming. The abolishment of tile based locales is what ruined the RPG industry.

I wouldn't say that. I would say that it was a desire to consolidate game designs into a more simplistic process in order to achieve a mass production based method that destroyed the RPG industry. About the time RPG's started to fade was about the time everything started getting the label "Action/Adventure/Strategy/RPG game". Heck, look at steam categories. You can click on RPG, Strategy, Action, Adventure and generally see the same list of games pop up. It is a marketing design to try and reduce development costs by making a single product that encompasses all possible audiences.

I would say what ruined the RPG industry is they stopped making games and started marketing widgets.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Publisher thinking. It is a "one size fits all" attempt to streamline their effort into a project so they can increase profits.
Nah, this one rests squarely on us, the fans. Just look at this thread (and other MMX threads here). On the one hand you have Grunker calling anyone who wants grids a retard with nostalgia goggles, and on the other you have Stabwound who wants to feed the free-roamers into the oven. Try to find the tiny voices who think having both types of games would be good. Now put yourself in the publisher and developer's shoes: all they see is the screaming and flailing, and they're gonna pick the loudest and cave in to them thinking they're the vast majority. I hardly blame "publisher thinking" in such a scenario. Of course they're going with what the majority of what's a tiny niche in the first place wants - there's hardly any reason for making a game that (they think) even the targeted niche won't want to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom