Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
So who beaten Mumoshi already
I am done with the game for now, maybe if they will fix potion shopping and stability issues will give another try
I hope final release will feature something more interesting than starting dungeons. Grimrock levels were more fun. And traveling and exploring with rations feels crude, returning to the city each time through slow waltzing around would make people mad, I am sure
Also, goddamn super ghosts flying around paralyzing party

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the fuck? How can you make up such idiotic, retarded things? :lol: Ashan is a more or less established kinda generic fantasy world, which was given for the devs from the start. Nobody from Ubisoft is forcing them to add Mountain Dew fratboy elements to it.

Ok, this is the point when people just make up shit to prove that they are right, to find a reason to hate some part of the game.

He's talking about some Heroes 6 cutscene that pissed him off, not MMX.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What the fuck? How can you make up such idiotic, retarded things? :lol: Ashan is a more or less established kinda generic fantasy world, which was given for the devs from the start. Nobody from Ubisoft is forcing them to add Mountain Dew fratboy elements to it.

Ok, this is the point when people just make up shit to prove that they are right, to find a reason to hate some part of the game.

He's talking about some Heroes 6 cutscene that pissed him off, not MMX.
Oh, silly me. In that case I offer you my apologie HHR!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, god.

@mediocrepoet's signature, and the article therein

Regarding the Piratebay trial, and the aftermath.

I wonder what it feels like for people like that lady to be so horrifically wrong. Also, how does someone get paid to make such assessments. Seems like a pretty awesome gig.

Oh yeah, that's old. I haven't re-read it in quite awhile (years, I don't even remember when I linked it), but I thought it was interesting at the time. Still though, I don't think it's out of line to expect people to pay for media they use for entertainment - a person gets value from it, the creator should be able to pay their bills if that's their means of making a living. Pretty simple, really.

May have to edit my sig at some point. I just assumed everyone ignored them. ;)

Stabwound

Arcane
I don't give a fuck about this or that, or lore, or whatever, but it would have been cool to have a return to the goofy world and lore of the early games.

All I know is that it's 2013, Ubisoft has allowed and financed a turn-based successor to Xeen, and it is decent-to-great. I can't wait for this game, and by most accounts it should be a pretty good success for seemingly such a low budget game. My only worry is that future instalments will drop the grid-based aspect.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You guys realize this game is like... six months from release, right? Hardly a finished product.

Stabwound

Arcane
These guys are heavily influenced by the community. They've made significant changes long before the early release was even out, and now that it's out and people are playing it, I can see the possibility for some heavy changes and alterations in the 6+ months until it is actually released. These guys are trying to please: whether or not that's a good thing, time will tell.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And as Bee points out if they continue to sell at such a high rate they can probably push back release even further to do more polishing and possibly significant changes.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More release date masochism, Codex? They have enough time as it is, IMO.

Remember that the money goes to Ubisoft, not directly to the developers.

Stabwound

Arcane
It would be pretty rough if they got paid on a small budget as a way for Ubi to test the waters and this game ends up being a huge Grimrock-like success. The funny thing is that I think blobbers, especially open world blobbers, could be a genre of game that even mainstream gamers could like. It's not a far leap to say that someone who likes Skyrim might be able to get into a game in the style of M&M6 or even turn-based like Wiz 8 if we're being a little more optimistic, obviously updated to graphics of today's standards. A lot of people like Skyrim because it's so grimdark and action RPGish, but a lot of people also like it for its exploration, character building, loot collecting, and shit like that.

At best, this could help revive a long-dead genre, and by the looks of things so far, they're doing a good and competent job with the game, even if they're playing it safe.

The blobber genre just died completely after Wizardry 8 and for no apparent reason. I don't think Wiz 8 was a commercial failure, was it? I know 3DO killed MM by the fucked up delivery of MM9, but I can't believe the guys doing the M&M franchise work haven't been able to convince Ubisoft to do a Might & Magic blobber until now. It's safe to say there is a rabid enough fanbase for it, even in grid-based style.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I don't think Wiz 8 was a commercial failure, was it?

It was. But not because it was bad (the average rating was 9/10 in most magazines), but bad marketing and Sir-Tech had its internal quarrel at the time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
And as Bee points out if they continue to sell at such a high rate they can probably push back release even further to do more polishing and possibly significant changes.

Not sure. They seemed pretty determined to get it out the door on time. Perhaps I should have asked more about release date and polish, but Gamescom is a bad place for in-depth interviews :(

I hope you're right though. I'm very optimistic concerning this game, but the release date worries me a little bit.

I don't think Wiz 8 was a commercial failure, was it?

It was. But not because it was bad (the average rating was 9/10 in most magazines), but bad marketing and Sir-Tech had its internal quarrel at the time.

Also: Sir-Tech was almost bankrupt already. I think it was Pirou who said that the little commercial banner that opens before the game launches actually financed getting the game to retail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom