Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Morphi

Augur
Well... thanks to my voters :). So close.

What the...the last time I looked @Morphi's dungeon had over 50%! Fuck.

Two hours before the poll closed that was still the case...there seemed to be many last minute voters...

(or they added the votes from gamescom.)

Stabwound

Arcane
Man, the one that won is lame as fuck. And he even wrote his name in it, which is double lame. Why would anyone vote for that one? Even if I didn't like the others, I wouldn't have voted for Sandro just because he put his name in it as rooms on the map, plus it looks like a pile of shit.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, I just looked at the Ubi forums and it's fucking amazing how many people complain about the grid-based gameplay. Did Might & Magic start at 6? Why do people act like the turn-based games didn't exist? I mean, there are multiple topics on the front page whining about the "chess-like" gameplay. Hell, there are even people complaining in a way that they wouldn't have even been satisfied with the MM6+ type gameplay. Are oldschool MM fans really this much of a minority? This forum seems pretty evenly split between people that prefer the MM3-5 style and later style games, but on Steam and their official forums it seems like everyone wants freeroaming.

Seems like just Skyrim fans or something.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, I just looked at the Ubi forums and it's fucking amazing how many people complain about the grid-based gameplay. Did Might & Magic start at 6? Why do people act like the turn-based games didn't exist? I mean, there are multiple topics on the front page whining about the "chess-like" gameplay. Hell, there are even people complaining in a way that they wouldn't have even been satisfied with the MM6+ type gameplay. Are oldschool MM fans really this much of a minority? This forum seems pretty evenly split between people that prefer the MM3-5 style and later style games, but on Steam and their official forums it seems like everyone wants freeroaming.

Well steam is full of popamole casuals, what did you expect?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

What amuses me is the people complaining that the game will fail and "be the downfall of the M&M series" despite the fact that it's selling like gangbusters. Some people just can't see past the end of their noses.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Wow, I just looked at the Ubi forums and it's fucking amazing how many people complain about the grid-based gameplay
For now grid movement doesn't add anything interesting to game and stretches combat and running back and forth to city to replenish supplies. When you are in the dungeon it's alright, although nothing spectacular - unlike Grimlock, dungeons I've seen are not 3D, i.e you can't fall from one level to another if you step into a wrong direction. And it's just looks lame when there are some spiders moving around you, you step left, step back to prepare and shoot arrows at them, and meanwhile sun goes up&down and it's dusk already. But the worst is running around city where there are no enemies for an hour, entering houses and such, all in turn-based. In M&M VI you always could just sprint into the city grab shit and go back adventuring.
IMO, cities should have been real time, free movement, dungeons could be tile based.

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
That's your opinion, man. The pinnacle of the M&M series was Xeen, and I love how every part of the game world is grid-based, including towns. You can memorize exactly what key presses to make to get to the temple, etc, all on autopilot. It's cool.

The problem with MMX is that everything is animated, so you can't hop around at light speed like you could in Xeen.

And yeah, I'm really happy to see that this game, even in Early Access, is still in the top sellers list. This is awesome news for the series and this type of game, in my opinion.

Zeriel

Arcane
Stop making terrible arguments against grid-based. The downfall you are describing is due to long-ass animations/delay between tiles, not grid-based mechanics in general. A Demise-style grid-based system (i.e just remove the delay and/or animations) would be massively quicker to return to town and get done what you need to get done than real-time or real-time with pause.

Whoops. Looks like I was too slow. So what Stabwound said.

There's something indescribably satsifying not just about moving around at lightspeed, but moving around at lightspeed because you've memorized the game's entire map on a muscle-memory level from playing through it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Maybe it is indeed long-ass animations. But for now, it does not make game any special, and you can't travel in "lightspeed" for certain.

memorized the game's entire map on a muscle-memory
I'm not that pro and don't see how memorizing anything will speed up travel time, you still make same steps, when you have tile map in front of your eyes or not. I hope for Grimoire option to travel to any tile you've visited by using map.

Gozma

Arcane
The sales of this are bananas. It's a thirty dollar alpha that you have to install a second DRM layer for

Zeriel

Arcane
The sales of this are bananas. It's a thirty dollar alpha that you have to install a second DRM layer for

Recognized name + on front page on Steam will drive those sales for anything. I'm genuinely worried this open exposure without anyone knowing what they're getting themselves in for (alpha) will sour a lot of people on it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe it is indeed long-ass animations. But for now, it does not make game any special, and you can't travel in "lightspeed" for certain.

memorized the game's entire map on a muscle-memory
I'm not that pro and don't see how memorizing anything will speed up travel time, you still make same steps, when you have tile map in front of your eyes or not. I hope for Grimoire option to travel to any tile you've visited by using map.

It's hard to explain if you haven't played one of these games extensively. In effect, what happens is you can spam keypresses far faster than someone just going through the world normally. You don't need to "see" where you are to get to where you want to go, because you know the proper keypresses to get from point A to Point B, even if they're miles apart. It's not a matter of being pro, just playing through the same tiles a number of times.

Maybe I'm living a pipedream though, and new tile-based games are all going to have awfully slow movement. I'd agree that any tile-based game that does release with movement as slow as Legacy is currently is awful, and completely voids the advantages of the format.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's what you want to say:

Here's the ultimate argument for a fully quantized and turnbased game: everything that doesn't need interaction from the player can be skipped. I will never hit the autorun key and then watch for fifteen uneventful seconds in a full TB game, nor will I click on the far side of the jpeg and then wait to gather my party before venturing forth. If I have quantized controls (as in one button press makes one thing happen) I can play as fast as I can process whats on the screen.

BTW, I hear they're working on the movement speed.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, that's about it. Gozma crystallized it really well. It goes further than that, though: you can actually input actions faster than what you see on the screen, which is what made Demise feel so awesome.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think the pro-gridders are ignoring the fact that a whole bunch of people like having some sort of easily qualified movement and won't enjoy moving through the world at lightning speed. That some people really enjoy the kinaesthetics that follow with actual movement rather than the gamified version in most of the World of Xeen games. Both are valid positions, but I very strongly doubt that they'll have the zoom-speed in this game, and I still do.

They'll never add true gridzoom to M&MX. So we either get free-form or this shitty, slowass dancing-system borrowed from Grimrock (which may have had many things, but a good movement system was not one of the those) or maybe a slight upgrade on that with a speedslider and the ability to turn the animation off. Though I don't personally agree with the gridders, even the arguments you do have that I have to admit have merit are made void once you realize you're not going to have this sort of old lightning-travel grid.

Stabwound

Arcane
I still like grid-style even if it's like Grimrock and not instantaneous.

Grimoire has an option to have similar animated movement or instantaneous, so it's the best of both worlds. If they could disable animations it wouldn't matter, it would be just like the old games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom