Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, perhaps I'm remembering this wrong? I played it with a mate at release, and I recall it being more less like M&MX:L.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Hmm, perhaps I'm remembering this wrong? I played it with a mate at release, and I recall it being more less like M&MX:L.

I first played it several months after release, so they may have adjusted it by the time I bought it.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I wonder if the game would be more like classic MM if Julien Pirou where in charge of the MM brand (eg. a classic mage/cleric magic system, not this hybrid system "because it must be like HoMM6" Canon!!!) We probably would also get more classic story elements (Scifi) and less Ashan fanwank. Just a feeling...

Julien's original idea was to do a follow-up to HoMM4 and MM9 as an independent project, as can be read in this update (full text here). Some interesting excerpts:
All I had to do was to be hired by Ubisoft to work on my favourite series, right? How hard could that be? So I started writing the first draft of a story for a potential Might & Magic X, which I planned to send to Ubisoft. My story would take place on Axeoth, tying together several plot points that I considered "loose ends" of Might & Magic IX and Heroes IV.

Because I believed the Ancient universe deserved a proper send-off, my old MMX story draft became the basis of a campaign I created for Heroes V, Legends of the Ancients. And as it turned out, that campaign would get me hired by Fabrice Cambounet of Ubisoft to work on a map for Heroes V (the "Dark Messiah" map included in the Heroes Complete box); then, two years later (in late 2009), to be invited by Erwan Le Breton to officially join the Heroes VI team as level designer.

At the same time, I started writing a story outline for the game, which I submitted to Erwan early on to make sure I was on the right track in regards to the Might & Magic IP constraints.

Ten years after the release of Might & Magic IX, a new Might & Magic RPG (codenamed Legacy) was at long last in production, with the most old-school gameplay we could get away with.

Another interesting thing about the article is that the mock-up includes the Maximus portrait on the right:

whymmx_image4.jpg

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Nice mockup screenshot. No wonder the project got the go ahead from the bosses. Also from the update:

whymmx_image1.JPG

:love:

Luzur

Good Sir
All of them are at least good, excluding 9 of course. 8 is debatable as well.

Call me crazy, but I really think MMX could end up being the best Might & Magic game. Combat is actually somewhat enjoyable now, and you actually get (some) real encounter design instead of mobs of the same enemies copypasted across fuckhueg maps. Inventory management is finally painless, and the map outside of the starting town feels like MM3 in 3D. Lots of nicely hidden loot chests and optional challenges, and random tiles with goodies hidden in the ground. My only complaint with the Early Access at this point is that it's still a little too slow. Otherwise, it feels like a really solid spiritual successor to Xeen.

I think we should brace for a shitstorm, but I very much agree with you.

sorry guys, but WoX has already been made.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks cute. No real sense in that, but cute nevertheless.

The UI does look out of place, but maybe they're going to make it "retro" too eventually.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I dunno, looks pretty bad to me. Leaving aside the fact that the UI looks out of place, simply applying it a filter to make it look pixelated will, of course, always make it look worse since it wasn't designed to look that way and deal with those limitations in the first place. In the end it's just a gimmick tho.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Huh, it looks exactly like I described quite a long while back.

Technically they'd be rendering the game on a framebuffer that's much smaller in size (let's say 1/3rd of the screen's dimensions) and scaling that up to the screen with nearest filtering (read: sharp pixels).
If the game is GPU limited, this can more than double performance as a consequence.
Also note Anti-Aliasing looks awful with this method.

If they're doing it properly, they'd also turn off texture filtering for world and model textures, as well as scaling them to either a 4th or an 8th of their size. This helps give it that old-school look and as a bonus also saves a lot of memory (which can also lead to better performance).

It seems they intend to chuck a rotoscope filter on top of that though, now that's lame and unnecessary.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I might have to use retro mode on account of the game looking like a pile of disgusting mud in 'normal' mode (for me).

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I don't get this fascination with pixelization. For indie developers who don't have a high art budget it makes sense and at least they apply it consistently, including the UI.

Also, I understand people being nostalgic for the look of the earlier titles, and I realize no one's forcing me to use the retro mode, but I think the development time could have been better spent polishing the game. Still, kudos to Limbic Entertainment for implementing a feature that was voted on by the fans, since they are paying attention to their customers' wants.

To quote Night Goat from this game development thread:
Classic RPGs were good in spite of the bad graphics, not because of them.

and Octavius:
I don't think "pixelated" should be a goal in itself...

I'll have a chuckle if the retro mode turn out to be a resource hog and actually slows down gameplay.

The retro mode seems pretty lazy, but I'd say it's more of a nod in a nudge-nudge-wink-wink sort of way than an actual, full-fledged consideration.

The only RPG that I've played that has an awesome retro mode is Dark Spire. Completely redone sprites, BGM, vector maps, everything. What a game.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Another interesting thing about the article is that the mock-up includes the Maximus portrait on the right:

whymmx_image4.jpg

Strange, I kinda like this mock up more than what I've seen from the project til now...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
*shrug* Different strokes.

Pic02.png

This reminds me of the "faceless" look of characters from early 90s Sierra adventure games. It's a bit nostalgic.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was gonna say the graphics remind me of Betrayal at Krondor, then I went for a screenshot and say how Krondor actually looks.... :roll:

m_s0

Arcane
*shrug* Different strokes.

Pic02.png

This reminds me of the "faceless" look of characters from early 90s Sierra adventure games. It's a bit nostalgic.
And it reminds me of how Gothic 3 looked on a computer that was way below the minimum specs required to properly run the game. I'm serious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom