Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Does the early access version suck to much to play? Been thinking about getting it.

Zep--

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Strange, I kinda like this mock up more than what I've seen from the project til now...
This mock-up was dame using the HoMM 5 engine (in the lower left corner you can see the gold and crystal icons exactly as they look in the game).
I do like the fact that the UI elements were larger/easier to click in the mock-up.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Does the early access version suck to much to play? Been thinking about getting it.

Zep--

It's still a bit rough; there's an expection that at least the feeling of movement will be improved by release.

Luzur

Good Sir
*shrug* Different strokes.

Pic02.png

This reminds me of the "faceless" look of characters from early 90s Sierra adventure games. It's a bit nostalgic.
And it reminds me of how Gothic 3 looked on a computer that was way below the minimum specs required to properly run the game. I'm serious.

my guess is that they where thinking of Might and Magic VI when they thought of doing retro-mode.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'll have a chuckle if the retro mode turn out to be a resource hog and actually slows down gameplay.

It is noticeably more smooth in performance when enabled. It looks like ass, though--you can't just run a game of 3D assets through a filter and expect it to look as good as "retro" games that had art designed to work within the restrictions of the tech of the time.

Agree that it's basically wasted dev time. But oh well, not that big of a deal. Reserving judgement until release day, but I'm starting to think Unity is not a very good engine for full-fledged 3D games, it seems to choke really easily on large environments.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
why are we arguing about something which is basically a developer joke

what are we, the comment section of limbic entertainment? :M

Zeriel

Arcane
Not much else to discuss until we can talk about act 2?

Idle gossip and all that.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
If i just downloaded it today from Steam, do I still have to apply the 2 patches? Anyone know?

It runs like ass.

Zep--

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lore Books: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/curious-volumes-of-forgotten-lore

DraQ and other Morrowind lovers would appreciate this part:

So I did the sensible thing: I called for help. Thankfully, our veteran writer Kurt McClung stepped in to write several of the books, especially the ones about Ashan as a whole. Discussing the tone we wanted for the lore books, we decided we would write them as if they had been the work of in-universe authors, each with a distinctive style.

That also meant we purposely included some slightly inaccurate or erroneous information, as the authors might use different sources when writing about the same events, mix up dates or have their own interpretations of what actually transpired. After all, that happens all the time in the real world too – “history books” written just a century ago might not be completely reliable... Players will have to decide by themselves how trustworthy some of the authors are, as some of the lore books are obvious propaganda!

Dorateen

Arcane
Here's a bit of in-game story lore I had enjoyed from World of Xeen. Wonder if some of the Legacy lore books will be similar in tone:

Once upon a time two necromancers had a little disagreement. The one was named Darkness, and he contended that he was the most powerful, foul, and evil necromancer in all of Xeen. The other fancied himself Death, and Death believed that HE was the most powerful, foul, and evil necromancer in all of Xeen. On the darkest hour of the darkest night in the year, the two necromancers met in a graveyard to settle the question once and for all.

Standing atop the burial mound of a great hero, Darkness began the fight by uttering a string of syllables so foreign to the human throat as to be virtually unpronounceable. So vile and alien were the words spoken by Darkness that the hero beneath the mound heard them and began to dig his way out of his grave to put a stop to the sounds. During all of this, Death had not been idle. He, too, began incantations meant to awaken the dead.

And so, one by one, the dead began to rise from their graves and fight one another between the two necromancers. The carnage was terrible to behold, the losses devastating. One by one the dead fell again, too damaged to do more than twitch or thrash about where they lay. Broken skeletons and corpses began to fill the valley between the burial mounds upon which the necromancers were standing.

The dead began to clamber atop the piled corpses in their efforts to slay the opposing necromancers. But the battle raged on, filling the valley between the mounds 'til morning, then from morning to afternoon, and then again to blackest night. Aye, the battle raged a full five days, filling the cemetery with a stench the world has never known. The armies of the dead dwindled as the supply of working corpses was used up. Soon the bodies had been piled so high that a kind of bridge formed between the two burial mounds, and the necromancers approached each other, urging their remaining servants forward.

Still the killing continued, and the necromancers drew within spittin' distance. And as the last of the walking dead finished themselves off, the two met and came to blows. The exhausted necromancers fought and wrestled over the mountain of corpses when suddenly Death caught hold of Darkness' throat, and Darkness of Death's. There Darkness and Death gasped out their last breath together, dying as one at the very top of the hideous mountain they had created.

Zeriel

Arcane
I really didn't like the "here's a magical floating book on a pedestal out in the middle of nowhere FOR NO BLOODY REASON" implementation. One of my least favorite decisions in MMXL. Would prefer they had just stuffed them in chests or shelves or whatever. Even barrels would be preferable to what they did.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The point is to make old games with proven gameplay visually appealing to newer generations (and to milk money). However most remakes fail that by delivering crappy 3D models, blurry textures, wooden animations - worse than the pixel graphics of their predecessors :roll:

Remakes are great if they improve the interface, like The Ultima 6 Project, or making the game smoother (thus not causing motion sickness!), like Marathon:Resurrection.
I wasn't able to enjoy the originals, but really liked the remakes.

narupley

Scholar
I really didn't like the "here's a magical floating book on a pedestal out in the middle of nowhere FOR NO BLOODY REASON" implementation. One of my least favorite decisions in MMXL. Would prefer they had just stuffed them in chests or shelves or whatever. Even barrels would be preferable to what they did.

Agreed, the whole glowing pedestal thing is stupid.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
That's the first thing that came into mind after seeing the screenshot with the floating book with magical light. I can understand this mechanic in an action-packed FPS where you need to find power-ups quick, but not in an exploration-based RPG.

Still, the books look neat and Limbic certainly put in a lot of effort (especially when you count translations) to add lore to the game and I appreciate the effort as a gift, if not the "wrapper" it comes in.

Dorateen

Arcane
It appears 2014 will be starting off on the right foot.

(Barring any unforseen delays in the production schedule...)

edit: Well I'll be... that's a Thursday. There's an Age of Decadence joke in there somewhere, isn't there.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Next month, huh?

I hope it will end up great. Have any of the guys in early access notice how it's progressing? Did they fix some of the stuff that annoyed many people? I remember slow movement being a big criticism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom