Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's sort of worth it, although bear in mind that Legiana's Blessing will rarely, if ever, yield rare or uncommon pieces, which is often what you need to complete a particular weapon or armor set. You'll just (probably) receive more common pieces. It's the same with Palico Plunderblade, with one exception: Plunderblade has about a 1% chance of netting you a gem.

More to the point though, if you're still in low rank, don't focus too much on armor, since it literally all goes in the trash once you hit high rank. Wait until you get to high rank.

The best way to position when using the LBG or HBG is to position yourself above a rubbish bin, then throw them in the bin and use a different weapon instead.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
The best way to position when using the LBG or HBG...

:lol:

Yes, I've read about your impressions earlier in the thread but hey, I actually find the tempo of those BLAST, BLAST, BLAST satisfying, cluster bombs are genuinely hilarious and all the cool guys are using the bow. I'm not debating its efficiency and I concour, Crapcom has made them a bit too cumbersome to use. God, I needed 15 minutes just to find the option to swap the order of your ammo in the list.
In any case, I'll keep dicking around with the one I forged. Maybe someday I'll even hunt a monster with it, instead of just pewpewing birds from the sky.

Thx for the tip!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
God, I needed 15 minutes just to find the option to swap the order of your ammo in the list.

You can do that?! Next you'll be telling me there's a way to display decorations in some sort of order.

Also the HBG is kinda fun with a shield and some levels in guard. You can just stand there shooting like an idiot and watch giant monsters bounce off your 6 inch shield, then go full Rambo when they fall down. The reloading sucks balls though, and the gun would probably be infinitely nicer to use with some levels in evade extender to bounce around a bit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Been using the hammer on Vaal hazak and kirin, and I can kinda see the appeal now. Kirin spends all day on the floor, and against vaal, it's super easy to land those juicy aerial spins with the hammer, because unlike with the dual swords, you don't need some bullshit angle along the body to rack up a billion hits.

Starting to farm tempered stuff now, though I'm taking a detour to farm some kirin to finish up my thunderspear, since it seems to be top of the food chain vs kushala, who I want to farm for those evasion pieces.

Also, after getting a pair of gobbler jewels, I'm no longer even slightly tempted to go for the vaal hazak set bonus. Even with just lvl 2 of that skill I can chug a mega potion insanely fast. Got a second earplug jewel as well, if I get one more I could ditch a piece of bazel for something cooler. I kinda want to get the evade extender and some stamina based stuff to make demon mode evasion really good instead of just a way to empty your stamina bar instantly. But that seems like it'd need a ton of skillpoints. Maybe I'll just go for something boring like some kinda crit or elemental bonus.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've realized there are a bunch of MH newfags in this thread who will likely appreciate the original, iconic Monster Hunter theme.

mogwaimon

Magister
Just beat Nergigante on the PC version. Managed to do it in one attempt with sub-par weapons and armor as opposed to me requiring Deviljho LS and full Odogaron set plus multiple tries on PS4. Managed to get to the last 25% without fainting and then he started dive-bombing even when his spikes weren't all black and I said fuck it and cheesed the last few hits with Mega Barrel Bombs I had in storage from one of the log-in bonuses. His dive-bomb still makes me salty as fuck but I'm glad I still showed some improvement over when I first began.

Also picked up MH Gen Ultimate today but I've only played a few hours of it since for some reason I just want to play World. It doesn't help that the first few hours are all gathering quests and talking to NPCs. Hunting Styles are weird as fuck but add a new twist, gonna try Valor GS to start off with and maybe move to Valor LS later on since I feel most comfortable with weeb weapons. GS is one of those weapons that I want to be good with but I just can't wrap my head around, like Hammer. I've gotten somewhat competent with CB and Lance with LS as a main, so I'm not a one trick pony at least. Though I've never played a gunner, only mildly interested in the bow but not enough to actually try it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Hammer and GS used to be fantastic when monsters moved more predictably, GOTCHA BITCH-style, but they're a little dicier to position for now.

The hammer has five easy combos to worry about: Big Bonk, which is just heavy attack spam, but if even one hit misses, the combo is interrupted; Little Bonk, which is just light attack spam when you don't have enough time or opportunity for Big Bonk; Charge Bonk, which is holding block to charge and letting go without moving the stick; Spin-to-Win, which is just holding and charging with block and letting go while moving the stick; and Super Sanic Hegehog, which is holding block to charge, sliding down a hill, then letting go.

I've almost stopped using the GS altogether. On top of being the slowest weapon on the game, it can't reach held-aloft palette swap dragon tails on the upswing half the time, which is garbage. The GS is supposed to have the best melee reach in MH, but it must surely have been nerfed. It feels like top 1/3rd of it is missing or something compared to older MH games. I have far more success cutting tails with the Insect Glaive. Even when not doing aerial combos, its upswing can actually hit tails most of the time! Incredible!

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Saw a thing on reddit about monsters having lower health in multi-target missions, so figured I'd give the crazy one a go solo. Most of them went to crippled status in one fight before staggering off and being captured, so I guess they were pretty weak. Got some crowns too.

5sOgoXh.png

Pretty good fun, but I imagine it's terrible in multiplayer as you'll probably spend an extra 15-20 minutes just chasing them around unless you can really stack some damage onto them together with 4 players and pimped out gear and/or using a bunch of traps and whatnot. Also farmed up another nergal and he went down in about 11 minutes this time.

Also, fuck vaal. Even with a high elderseal hammer smashing his face in he'll still spam out miasma quite a bit, and without three jewels or enough parts to make the leggings, it's stupidly annoying. DINK DINK DINK DINK HALF HEALTH LOL. Yeah sure let me just sit here fondling my balls for a minute until it disperses or whatever. Guess this is another one where a ranged weapon is practically mandatory until you get that magical specific item that completely nullifies an annoying gimmick. I've got 2 of the jewels so far, but it's clearly not enough.

Damned Registrations

I've been killing him with dual blades, the first time without any elderseal at all. One miasma jewel. It's not that big a deal as long as you pay attention to where he's leaving the clouds and don't get hit by stuff. Honestly it's usually the little shits that do it to me. Not a big deal when it does happen though, pop a nullberry and a jerky to recover the lost health, carry on.

Trying to cut his fucking tail with those dual blade attacks his hell though. Stop waving your fucking tail around asshole.

Got my first level 8 weapon now after bashing kirin heads in all day. Kind of a marginal upgrade over the previous version but still feels good. Curious what it's element caps out at, since it's at 540 to begin with. Doesn't seem like it can get white sharpness either, but that honestly seems pretty underwhelming anyways, better off getting mind's eye if you need to avoid bouncing so badly.

Damned Registrations

It instantly heals all the red health, which is great when you heal to full and cure the effluvium, because half your bar will be red right afterwards. I always carry a stack of 5 on me for popping right after I get hit by a big attack, since it's so quick to eat.

I suppose it's extra useful in my case, since I run with extra health 3, so my max hp is 200.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
It instantly heals all the red health, which is great when you heal to full and cure the effluvium, because half your bar will be red right afterwards. I always carry a stack of 5 on me for popping right after I get hit by a big attack, since it's so quick to eat.

I could've sworn the nullberry left the entire bar empty instead of red, unless I was getting hit by a tiny bit of damage (effluvia and/or miasma I guess) which wiped out the red immediately afterwards or something.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone know if the "Bombardier" skill (increases damage of explosives) also affects Bow Gun ammo, like cluster and sticky bombs? I suppose explosive damage up only affects weapons...

Perkel

Arcane
Does anyone know if the "Bombardier" skill (increases damage of explosives) also affects Bow Gun ammo, like cluster and sticky bombs? I suppose explosive damage up only affects weapons...

Bombardier i think is only for bombs. Artilery is what increasing damage of various things like wyvern fire etc.

Top files include three mods to beautify the Handler. :M

A cleaner face texture for the Handler. I combined her face with the Serious Handler's face texture (thinner eyebrows, different lips), softened the details such as skin pores, lightened the face slightly and added a little more soft color. I think it makes her look slightly better and less scary-looking. This should apply to all of her outfits.

Can you clean up the shadows under her eyes? She looks so sleep deprived.

This makes her actual possible waifu material... <3
Great work, keep it up!

edit: Nevermind, they're all obsolete already.

https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/11

Ventidius

Arbiter
Beat Xeno'jiiva today, cool fight. Overall, I liked most of the Elder Dragon fights so far, though I have yet to fight Kirin. The only fights that I didn't like were Kushala and Vaal, they really went too far with the gimmicks. Though at least I managed to get three miasma jewels for Vaal, which just made it uninteresting and easy, but I much prefer that over a tedious gimmick fight. Kushala, on the other hand, was the most obnoxious fight in the game, hands down. At least the Zorah and Vaal (with miasma jewels) fights, while rote and dull, are not downright odious, but Kushala is just frustrating with its constant knockbacks and area denial spam, which made the fight feel more like a fight against the map than the monster itself. I will probably farm some Brace Jewels before fighting it again, as I have heard stacking Flinch Free is more effective than Windproof against it, though I am not sure about this. Perhaps then the fight will play more like how my Vaal fight did: boring but not quite annoying. That is the thing with gimmick fights, once you take away the gimmick they tend to have little substance.

Teostra was just a good fight, I didn't find the Supernova that bad, I thought he telegraphed it quite well and gave you plenty of time to get out of the way, its range isn't unreasonable either. Xeno was great too, I liked how its size and immunity to mounting made me change my approach to attacking. This fight also shows how to do area denial right in a game like this: instead of filling the field with cheesy tornadoes, its floor heating doesn't outright truncate the player's field of movement but introduces a cost to using the surface which the player can then calculate in the heat of the fight against the benefit of traversing it. Punishing his explosive stomp was also a lot of fun since you never knew where the "mines" would appear after it. Both of these fights made good use of the aura mechanics that set apart the Elder Dragons without making them gimmicky, and they are among the best in the game.

I have to say my favorite fight is still Nergigante, though. No gimmicks, no bullshit, just a straight up brawl with a powerful monster. I didn't find his moves to be cheap at all, not even the dive bomb, and one thing that I liked about it was that it hit the sweet spot for me when it comes to iframes in Monster Hunter. I had found the iframes to be way too forgiving in this game. Odogaron is a case in point, I could just dance around this guy despite his twitching, and there were many times where I thought its hits should have connected, but didn't. Mind you, I am not calling for a return to Freedom Unite bullshit iframes, but MH4U had actually hit the sweet spot for me and this game felt overall like it was more forgiving than that. Again, Nergigante is an exception, and I think this fight got it just right in this regard, though Teostra and Xeno were also fine since I never felt like I got off easy when I shouldn't have in those fights.

Overall great game. Feels trivial to say it since this is basically the same thing they have been doing since at least FU (haven't played the ones before that), but it is quite a thing to see the full glory of Monster Hunter on PC, which is especially impressive to a guy like me who has only played it on portable before. The lack of loading between map areas, the smoother controls, better framerate, and yes, nicer graphics, really bring out the franchise's masterful design, even if the latter does seem to have gotten a bit streamlined in the process. Not enough to argue that it has phase shifted into popamole though, or even something unworthy of the franchise. Heck, even the introduction of scoutflies and the streamlining of resource collection, whetstones, tracking, etc. would maybe have bothered me had this been my second MH game, but as it stands, they are welcome QoL features that allow me to get all the quicker into the meat of the game. All this baby needs is to have G-Rank added in and it will probably be able to measure up with the best games in the series. As it stands, it is one of the best RPG-ish action games on PC right now along with the better Dark Souls games.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It's a shame that both the safaris and the Argosy become one-dimensional after a while, though. The Argosy is pretty much only good for consumables due to bringing back screamer pods, dung pods, miscellaneous useful stuff, and most importantly, dash extract (rarely); once you no longer need HR elemental sacs, safaris are mainly useful for dash extract (from Tzitzi/Diablos), nourishing extract, and/or kelbi horns, depending on what's available.

The good news is unless you main Dual Blades / Bow you don't need to bother with these things.

Perkel

Arcane
I hope that by MHW2Ultimate we will get around 60-80 large monsters.

Damned Registrations

I hope they start adding more monsters to the PC version within the next couple of weeks instead of doling them out slowly for months as a tool to manage marketing and hype.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The good news is unless you main Dual Blades / Bow you don't need to bother with these things.

I don't "main" weapons, but the Bow is one of my most-used. The Insect Glaive also benefits hugely from Dash Juice and has become a recent big favorite of mine.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've only used SNS and will continue to only use SNS. Also just beat the main questline. Last boss was pretty neat. Vaal Hazak is pretty fun, not too hard since for sns, you rarely if ever get hit by any attacks. Teostra was fun, but god damn does that shit lag like fucking hell. Dora was alright in a fight, nothing too terrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom