Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Windproof doesn't even work against the real heavy winds Kushala puts up during the fight. For that, you need Negate Wind Pressure which is obtained only through....the 3 piece bonus of her set, lol.

Fuck that shit. Id' rather just use cheat engine to give myself the set and enough parts to make weapons than farm that godawful bullshit fight. Why does this game hate melee users so much in the later stages? Oh, you like hitting things in the face? Here's an enemy that spends most of the fight flying around above the arena whist randomly knocking you back or shitting out multiple impassable barriers that also obscure it from view and block off entire exits, have fun, go fuck yourself.

Teostra at least had plenty of opportunities for face smashing, but dodging the particle spam with no depth perception is a cunt, and if you're stuck in an attack animation when he starts his nova, you're probably fucked. And Vaal wasn't too bad except he also seemingly had a lot of random tiny knockbacks and staggers, and during his fart beam he'd be mostly vulnerable but would move forward ever so slightly whilst doing it, and if his toe scraped you as he repositioned it'd fuck your combo again.

Can't wait to see what atrocious unfun nonsense the end of the tutorial has in store.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
To be fair if someone plays solo most of the time and then logs in to do online quests for whatever reason, how the hell are they supposed to know that hitting a mounted monster prevents the mounter from stunning it?

There was a tutorial popup but I guess nobody reads them.
Just discovered it too, not by choice, online connectivity was so bad i ended doing most of the stuff solo...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't worry, it's not actually true. I hit the monster while Lazing Dirk is mounted all the time, have done for ages, and he still has no problem stunning it.

Not sure where toro gets some of this shit.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Don't worry, it's not actually true. I hit the monster while Lazing Dirk is mounted all the time, have done for ages, and he still has no problem stunning it.

Well, kind of. It almost always falls down stunned as usual (rarely a palico will paralyse it or some other weirdness), but now and then it happens without me doing the final charged attack. The end result is the same either way, and the loss of damage from not getting that final attack in (maybe 140 damage at best) is made up for by the other person getting a bunch of free hits, so it doesn't really matter. As long as the monster ends up flailing on the ground at the end, it's all good.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't even get to do the finisher half the time anyways while soloing. And I doubt it's because my palico did so much damage it knocked the fucker over. I suspect it has to do with the fact I swap positions while mounted a lot instead of clinging when it tries to throw me off. I think you need to deal a certain number of hits to a part to get the finisher, but when it slams itself into a wall, it gets a lot closer to falling over before the finisher.

I'd only worry about the mounting finisher as a hammer user, fully charged hit to the head has got to be some good KO buildup.

Perkel

Arcane
Charged hits are overused. Just doing that attck when it hits and hits does more damage than any other attack in game.
30-45-60-70-120 !! in span of like 5 seconds.

Naturally you do it when monster lies down. And you achieve it not by charging attacks constantly and getting wrecked but those quick potshots. You only charge when you actually have a chance to hit monster in head squarely.

Final ultra move is spinning hammer. Damage and ease of use is just obscene and you can at the same time mount monster.

Damned Registrations

Took out Vaal, definitely the weakest of the three. Honestly thought he was weak to water when I was fighting him... apparently he's immune.

I feel like I should trade in my holy sabers for a proper rank 8 pair now that I can, but nothing looks appealing. The end of the dragonbone chain look cool as fuck but it's another rank 7, not exactly impressive stats. The beetlejuice axes look pretty sweet too but I can't make the rank 8 one yet. Everything else either has shit stats or looks like some moron glued handles onto some toenail clippings.

Expansions can't get here fast enough.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I'm not surprised considering that you don't understand what "Completion Time" means.

The information was clearly displayed in one tutorial popup but I did not think to screenshot it for retards like you.

Anyway, first google result: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...a_stop_attacking_the_monster_when_someone_is/

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I'm not surprised considering that you don't understand what "Completion Time" means.

The information was clearly displayed in one tutorial popup but I did not think to screenshot it for retards like you.

Anyway, first google result: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...a_stop_attacking_the_monster_when_someone_is/

It might have been an idea to have actually read that thread, you know.

<hint> It doesn't support your argument.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Tutorial completed and the real excitement begins!

lVVuE2D.jpg

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Kushala is fucking garbage

I concur, only monster that I resort using elderseal weapons. Frustrating shitface...

Use either a Thunder Bow or a Rapid Fire Thunder Light Bow Gun.

Piece of cake.

Took out Vaal, definitely the weakest of the three. Honestly thought he was weak to water when I was fighting him... apparently he's immune.

I feel like I should trade in my holy sabers for a proper rank 8 pair now that I can, but nothing looks appealing. The end of the dragonbone chain look cool as fuck but it's another rank 7, not exactly impressive stats. The beetlejuice axes look pretty sweet too but I can't make the rank 8 one yet. Everything else either has shit stats or looks like some moron glued handles onto some toenail clippings.

Expansions can't get here fast enough.

You want Decimation Claws.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

To begin with, you're linking to Reddit as a source, which is hilarious in and of itself. Regardless, as Shackleton pointed out, that thread has 0 upvotes, and the top-voted comment clearly states that the OP is wrong—or at the very least, that it's an unpopular opinion. In other words, you just played yourself, and in a particularly ironic way since you've been screeching about my failure to read some tutorial pop-up.

Lazing Dirk and I have co-oped the entire game, and we know from experience and beyond all doubt that there is absolutely no issue with attacking a monster while the other player is mounted. There can be exceptions, such as if you're using a paralysis weapon, but other than that, it's almost purely beneficial to attack during the (very lengthy) mounting sequences.

If there is a tutorial pop-up that I missed or forgot, then it's flat-out wrong.

Damned Registrations

Well Xeno is down now, so I got some more options. Kinda mad I didn't get to do a single spinning jump off on him, first phase was way too short and the second phase is a flat featureless room, which is pretty fucking lame.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well Xeno is down now, so I got some more options. Kinda mad I didn't get to do a single spinning jump off on him, first phase was way too short and the second phase is a flat featureless room, which is pretty fucking lame.

Yeah, we just finished Xeno as well after two weeks of dawdling. It's a cool design art-wise and it's nice that it's such a huge monster, but frankly I thought the fight was dragon on a little too long, no matter how many buffed-up combos were piled onto its toes and face.

Damned Registrations

Also, Xeno's armor set is very underwhelming. Should have swapped it's traits with Vaal's, which is pretty OP. Well, I probably won't use either, gonna go with Bezel + Kushala for the evade and earplugs. If I play much more, which I might not till they add more monsters. I need tankier opponents, not ones that can one shot me more easily. I suppose I could do some online hunts as well, so far all I've done is an SOS to get my last rath kill for the bounty. Basically showed up, got knocked over a bunch and then used a trap for the capture.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

To begin with, you're linking to Reddit as a source, which is hilarious in and of itself. Regardless, as Shackleton pointed out, that thread has 0 upvotes, and the top-voted comment clearly states that the OP is wrong—or at the very least, that it's an unpopular opinion. In other words, you just played yourself, and in a particularly ironic way since you've been screeching about my failure to read some tutorial pop-up.

Lazing Dirk and I have co-oped the entire game, and we know from experience and beyond all doubt that there is absolutely no issue with attacking a monster while the other player is mounted. There can be exceptions, such as if you're using a paralysis weapon, but other than that, it's almost purely beneficial to attack during the (very lengthy) mounting sequences.

If there is a tutorial pop-up that I missed or forgot, then it's flat-out wrong.

I've checked the game tutorials and it's not there therefore I was wrong about the tutorial popup. My bad.

On the other hand, not hitting the mounted monster is the correct strategy: once the mounter executes the charged hit then everybody from the team can hit the monster weakest points. There are like 3-4 mounts per fight because the chance of success diminishes with each mount and players should use that period of time to sharp, buff or whatever. The damage at the end of a successful mount outclasses the damage during the mount because in the end all 4 players are able to do max damage to the monster.

I use the Greatsword and I'm doing regularly something like 200 damage on the mounted monster and 80 + 150 + 400 on the downed monster. There is no way I can do that damage when the monster is running around ... with one exception: sliding-jump damage (but you cannot do that in some places). Basically if you hit the mounted monster then you fuck me as a Greatsword user because the only option remaining is to run around the monster and hit the tail, head and front-arms (but only once because tempered monsters will fuck you up if you try to do two hits in a row).

There is one strategy which works best with mounted monsters: flashbomb them but besides of this hitting the mounted monster is a waste of an opportunity.

Do you get my point?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I use the Greatsword and I'm doing regularly something like 200 damage on the mounted monster and 80 + 150 + 400 on the downed monster. There is no way I can do that damage when the monster is running around ... with one exception: sliding-jump damage (but you cannot do that in some places). Basically if you hit the mounted monster then you fuck me as a Greatsword user because the only option remaining is to run around the monster and hit the tail, head and front-arms (but only once because tempered monsters will fuck you up if you try to do two hits in a row).

There is one strategy which works best with mounted monsters: flashbomb them but besides of this hitting the mounted monster is a waste of an opportunity.

Do you get my point?

The monster still gets KO'd at the end of the mounting sequence even if everyone has been hitting it, and even if the mounter isn't able to execute the final hit sequence. Once it's KO'd and downed, everyone can still also get a full combo in. The only possible loss is the damage from the mounter's final combo.

So no, I really don't get your point at all. You speak as though hitting the monster while it's mounted prevents it from being KO'd so that everyone can whallop it, but that isn't the case, at least not that I've ever personally seen.

That said, mounting is a great time to take a breather to sharpen/buff/heal/etc. if you need it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Your post seems to imply that damaging the monster means you have no opportunity to do damage when it's downed, when you can in fact do both.

If the mounted monster is hit and it's knocked-down then the monster will simply be demounted without a finisher wasting the mounter's effort.

There is one strategy which works best with mounted monsters: flashbomb them

I really want to hear your justification for this one.

While mounted they stay still for a couple of seconds therefore it is easier to flashbomb them and knock them down but the KO period is less than when the mounter is allowed to finish.

In the end hitting or flash-bombing the monster is still less efficient than letting the mounter finish the mounting.

Damned Registrations

I've checked the game tutorials and it's not there therefore I was wrong about the tutorial popup. My bad.

On the other hand, not hitting the mounted monster is the correct strategy: once the mounter executes the charged hit then everybody from the team can hit the monster weakest points. There are like 3-4 mounts per fight because the chance of success diminishes with each mount and players should use that period of time to sharp, buff or whatever. The damage at the end of a successful mount outclasses the damage during the mount because in the end all 4 players are able to do max damage to the monster.

Do you get my point?

So I went and did some testing, since this shit is super easy to test. Results:

Monster downtime is about ~9 seconds, depending on when you want to start counting. I spam opened the map to check the time asap after the monster went down, and hit the button to open it again when I heard their feet thump on the ground when they got up for a consistent measurement. Time was consistent across various monsters, from low rank pukei and tobi to HR odoggo and fiery jay leno. Jay leno seemed to take slightly longer (less than a second) which I think can be chalked up to a longer standing animation. Downtime didn't vary whether the monster got finished by my fancy lance stab or a dagger to the head or smashing itself onto the wall. It also didn't matter whether the monster was berserk or exhausted.

Actually downing the monster varied quite a bit- getting the special attack off was easiet from the first mount, it'd trigger before the minimap circle even stopped being all foggy and it'd knock the monster down. I had 2 mounts where the monster let me keep stabbing after my finisher; in both cases these were my third mount, and I don't think I'd gotten the finisher in the second mount. The first time I got a second finisher off, the second time it fell over after some more dagger stabs. Also, it tries to shake you off way more while berserk. Since I'm assuming that raises it's exhaustion (like the real thing, not just to down it), mounting while it's berserk is probably the way to go.

Position on the monster seems to determine how fast you can stab it. Sitting in the middle of a monster's back seemed to consistently let me get those precious 1's faster while the head was a lot slower. Might be a good plan to sit on the back while stabbing and move to the head/tail for the finisher.

I also tried a mount where I just didn't trigger my finisher when it let me. Monster sat there for AGES waiting for me before it finally cancelled out of it and resumed staggering around. Seemed pretty exhausted at that point, didn't try to shake me off much. I ran out of stamina after a while of not attacking, mostly from jumping around too much. Could probably abuse this to give everyone a chance for extra buffs or something on a nasty enough monster that you needed a breather like that.

TLDR: Just hit the monster while it's mounted if you're already healed and sharpened, it'll only be downed for ~10 seconds anyways and the finisher doesn't matter.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Do you get my point?

So I went and did some testing, since this shit is super easy to test. Results:

Monster downtime is about ~9 seconds, depending on when you want to start counting. I spam opened the map to check the time asap after the monster went down, and hit the button to open it again when I heard their feet thump on the ground when they got up for a consistent measurement. Time was consistent across various monsters, from low rank pukei and tobi to HR odoggo and fiery jay leno. Jay leno seemed to take slightly longer (less than a second) which I think can be chalked up to a longer standing animation. Downtime didn't vary whether the monster got finished by my fancy lance stab or a dagger to the head or smashing itself onto the wall. It also didn't matter whether the monster was berserk or exhausted.

Actually downing the monster varied quite a bit- getting the special attack off was easiet from the first mount, it'd trigger before the minimap circle even stopped being all foggy and it'd knock the monster down. I had 2 mounts where the monster let me keep stabbing after my finisher; in both cases these were my third mount, and I don't think I'd gotten the finisher in the second mount. The first time I got a second finisher off, the second time it fell over after some more dagger stabs. Also, it tries to shake you off way more while berserk. Since I'm assuming that raises it's exhaustion (like the real thing, not just to down it), mounting while it's berserk is probably the way to go.

Position on the monster seems to determine how fast you can stab it. Sitting in the middle of a monster's back seemed to consistently let me get those precious 1's faster while the head was a lot slower. Might be a good plan to sit on the back while stabbing and move to the head/tail for the finisher.

I also tried a mount where I just didn't trigger my finisher when it let me. Monster sat there for AGES waiting for me before it finally cancelled out of it and resumed staggering around. Seemed pretty exhausted at that point, didn't try to shake me off much. I ran out of stamina after a while of not attacking, mostly from jumping around too much. Could probably abuse this to give everyone a chance for extra buffs or something on a nasty enough monster that you needed a breather like that.

TLDR: Just hit the monster while it's mounted if you're already healed and sharpened, it'll only be downed for ~10 seconds anyways and the finisher doesn't matter.

Now mount a monster, ask somebody to knock it down and then measure the downtime. You will be surprised.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Do you get my point?

The monster still gets KO'd at the end of the mounting sequence even if everyone has been hitting it, and even if the mounter isn't able to execute the final hit sequence. Once it's KO'd and downed, everyone can still also get a full combo in. The only possible loss is the damage from the mounter's final combo.

So no, I really don't get your point at all. You speak as though hitting the monster while it's mounted prevents it from being KO'd so that everyone can whallop it, but that isn't the case, at least not that I've ever personally seen.

That said, mounting is a great time to take a breather to sharpen/buff/heal/etc. if you need it.

When the mounter is allowed to finish then the monster downtime is maximum ... which is good for heavy hitters like GS or Hammer. That's all.

Edit: It seems that the monster's downtime is halved if the mounter is not allowed to finish. Because of this GS users will not be able to do a fully charged attack which has the most damage.

I did not know the full details but this matches my experience in the game and that's why I complained about hitting the mounted monsters.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

I've had mounted monsters go down from other shit hitting them plenty of times, I've never noticed a difference, and even if it cut the time from 10 seconds to 3, it'd be a very small price to pay vs giving everyone an extra 20 seconds to whale on a monster that is busy smashing itself into a wall. If anything, I'd say it's on the mounter to learn the monster's least dangerous moves for bucking him off and stay in the zone where it does that instead of some annoying tail whip or charging across the level.

Also, there's like, 50000 hours of people streaming this on twitch and youtube. If this were a thing, it'd be well known by now. Go find me a clip of someone downing a monster during a mount and it only lasting 3 seconds, then I'd believe you (and still not care since it takes 20 seconds of riding to get there.)

Oh, and don't do the 'fire stones into the monster cause it does more damage than a dagger' thing, total waste of time. Even scatternuts didn't do jack shit. On your first mount, you don't need to move or cling at all, just spam hits into it's back and it'll stagger just before using any of those moves, as long as you have a bit of stamina you'll be fine.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The monster can still be knocked down even if you're the only one mounting/damaging. It just depends on the amount of stamina is left on that little circle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom