Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Elttharion

Learned
You need to hide behind the boulders tho, the emote is just a backup in case he breaks all of them. Behemot isnt that bad in Master rank armor, Extremoth otoh is pure garbage. An MMO fight shoehorned into the game. Probably the worst fight in the game but at least the drachen armor looks pretty cool.

IIRC in the third phase there is a DPS check but there is also a check were he will chain cast meteors if you do damage too quickly, its just terrible design. Not sure if it was changed but when I did the fight you could sit at the canteen or the tent to avoid the AOE.

Reinhardt

Arcane
deviljho.
well, pretty much all new monsters kick my ass but it was most spectacular.
oh, and lava pigdog. hate him too.

Elttharion

Learned
dc9yr8h-c0731c65-7de7-4f9a-a2a0-ce2f10428d4f.gif

Suicidal

Arcane
Any tips for increasing DPS?

I've reached the expansion part of the game and almost ran out of time fighting the big magma dinosaur.

All my weapons are the highest tier that I can currently upgrade to in their tree (tier 8-9) and I have a bunch of crit gems in my armor and I don't have many other damage gems.

Elttharion

Learned
Glavenus? Which weapon are you using?

In Iceborne you are forced to use the clutch claw to tenderize the monsters or you will do much less damage, not sure if you are using that mechanic as it can be annoying until you get used to it. If you have Agitator gems they are great in the expansion because you can keep the monster enraged for pretty much 100% of the fight by wallbanging him. Mega demondrug also gives a small damage boost, its not much but every little bit helps.

There are some things you can do like give your palico a paralyze weapon, it will usually trigger at least once every fight. Also give him the damage or buff gadgets.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

I've reached the expansion part of the game and almost ran out of time fighting the big magma dinosaur.

All my weapons are the highest tier that I can currently upgrade to in their tree (tier 8-9) and I have a bunch of crit gems in my armor and I don't have many other damage gems.
Are you using environmental traps? They can be massive chunks of damage. If there's sleep frogs around or your palico has a sleep weapon waking the monster up with barrel bombs and a charged attack can be another nice boost.

Shurakan

Novice

As far as gameplay goes, try to throw monsters at walls whenever they aren't enraged (yellow eye). Focus their weakspots whenever you can. Some monsters are easier with different weapons. An easy way to do this is when aren't enraged plop ghillie mantle on and throw a random pebble. When they hear the pebble monsters are locked in a "what was that?" kind of animation which gives you an easy opening for a wallbang. You can also use the pebbles to lead them to walls. Use every item the game gives you. Trap monsters and bring items to craft more in the field. You can get guaranteed poison once on a monster with the poison smoke bombs, 2 or 3 should be enough. Use the drugs and chew the red seeds.

Otherwise, you gonna have to farm some gear. There's event quest armors that have really good universal skills that you can get as soon as you are in master rank but you have to hope the events are up. Some Oolong and astral pieces, the kulu gloves and hornetaur waist will get you good crit chance and crit damage. The skills you are looking for are crit eye, crit boost and weakness exploit. Nargacugas weapons have natural high crit chance too, so you can farm those. You want affinity to be 50% so that when you hit a monster weakspot that's tenderized with the claw attack you get another 50% extra crit chance.

If you can get that gear it can last you the entirety of the game, even still usable against late game monsters.

If the events aren't up use the sorting for skills option on the smith and prioritize armors with weakness exploit and crit eye. Crit boost if you can. Rathalos chest has 2 points of weakness exploit and with the hornetaur coil that's all three. That skill is the most important for increasing damage.

Suicidal

Arcane

In Iceborne you are forced to use the clutch claw to tenderize the monsters or you will do much less damage, not sure if you are using that mechanic as it can be annoying until you get used to it. If you have Agitator gems they are great in the expansion because you can keep the monster enraged for pretty much 100% of the fight by wallbanging him. Mega demondrug also gives a small damage boost, its not much but every little bit helps.

There are some things you can do like give your palico a paralyze weapon, it will usually trigger at least once every fight. Also give him the damage or buff gadgets.
Daggers right now but I alternate between them, charged blade, greatsword, hammer, lance and glaive. I do use the claw a lot. Especially useful with daggers because if you do a full claw combo you get a free red slinger drop (not sure if it's unique to the daggers but I didn't have that with other weapons), which is a lot of free damage, unless it's the dragon one. Is tenderize the effect where after the claw combo the monster's body part looks like it's covered in cum? I'm actually not sure what it does, but I noticed that if I tenderize a body part that you get grey numbers from hitting it turns into yellow numbers. Does it turn something into a weak point or just straight up reduce defense?
I've been neglecting palico gear since I didn't think it mattered all that much, I'll look into it.
Are you using environmental traps? They can be massive chunks of damage. If there's sleep frogs around or your palico has a sleep weapon waking the monster up with barrel bombs and a charged attack can be another nice boost.
Most of the time whenever I do use them it's completely unintentional, but I do try to make the monsters hit a wall whenever I can. I just recently started using barrels but since I've went through 70% of the game without using them I keep forgetting to bring them with me.
As far as gameplay goes, try to throw monsters at walls whenever they aren't enraged (yellow eye). Focus their weakspots whenever you can. Some monsters are easier with different weapons. An easy way to do this is when aren't enraged plop ghillie mantle on and throw a random pebble. When they hear the pebble monsters are locked in a "what was that?" kind of animation which gives you an easy opening for a wallbang. You can also use the pebbles to lead them to walls. Use every item the game gives you. Trap monsters and bring items to craft more in the field. You can get guaranteed poison once on a monster with the poison smoke bombs, 2 or 3 should be enough. Use the drugs and chew the red seeds.

Otherwise, you gonna have to farm some gear. There's event quest armors that have really good universal skills that you can get as soon as you are in master rank but you have to hope the events are up. Some Oolong and astral pieces, the kulu gloves and hornetaur waist will get you good crit chance and crit damage. The skills you are looking for are crit eye, crit boost and weakness exploit. Nargacugas weapons have natural high crit chance too, so you can farm those. You want affinity to be 50% so that when you hit a monster weakspot that's tenderized with the claw attack you get another 50% extra crit chance.

If you can get that gear it can last you the entirety of the game, even still usable against late game monsters.

If the events aren't up use the sorting for skills option on the smith and prioritize armors with weakness exploit and crit eye. Crit boost if you can. Rathalos chest has 2 points of weakness exploit and with the hornetaur coil that's all three. That skill is the most important for increasing damage.
Didn't know about the pebble trick. By pebble do you mean shooting a rock with the slingshot? I'll try that.

Also I refuse to use the event gear because it looks out of place and breaks muh immersion.

Seems I'm already doing most of the things you guys are suggesting. It took me like 40 mins to kill the magma dinosaur, maybe that's actually how long you're expected to fight him? The black bat thing and the sabertooth tiger-lizard before him took me maybe 30 minutes, so this kind of led me to believe I'm falling behind in stats or doing something wrong. Both of them were also harder to fight, so maybe the dinosaur just has a lot of HP.

Shurakan

Novice
Didn't know about the pebble trick. By pebble do you mean shooting a rock with the slingshot? I'll try that.
Yeah, also it has to be the stuff you can find around in the environment, the basic weak slinger stuff. The ammo the monsters drop doesn't have that effect. The stones and round red plants, etc.

And yes, the tenderize is when you use the special attack when you grapple on the monster. You will usually want to tender whatever part you are hitting most. A good idea if you happen to be using statuses is to have different ones because the monsters gain resistance every time a status procs. Say, you use a blast weapon, the cat uses a sleep one and then you pack poison bombs to apply those 3 at least once per fight. Really useful early on.

Elttharion

Learned

Daggers right now but I alternate between them, charged blade, greatsword, hammer, lance and glaive. I do use the claw a lot. Especially useful with daggers because if you do a full claw combo you get a free red slinger drop (not sure if it's unique to the daggers but I didn't have that with other weapons), which is a lot of free damage, unless it's the dragon one. Is tenderize the effect where after the claw combo the monster's body part looks like it's covered in cum? I'm actually not sure what it does, but I noticed that if I tenderize a body part that you get grey numbers from hitting it turns into yellow numbers. Does it turn something into a weak point or just straight up reduce defense?
I've been neglecting palico gear since I didn't think it mattered all that much, I'll look into it.
Dagger/Dual Blades benefit a lot from elemental damage so its always better to match your equip to the elemental weakness of the monster you are hunting. Glavenus is weak to water for example.

Yeah, tenderizing makes the part look like its scratched or something like that, it increases your damage a lot and prevents your weapons from bouncing when you attack that part. You could say it reduces the defense of the part (it actually increases the HZV - hitzone value and your affinity when hitting that part but the effect is the same in the end, numbers go up) so its almost always better to tenderize and focus on the weaker parts of the monsters, like heads or bellies, etc. Its not a flat increase tho, stronger areas will have a higher increase so they are still worth tenderizing if they are easier to reach but usually focusing on the parts that already are weakspots is better.

30 minutes for a first hunt against Master Rank monsters is a good-ish time. 40 minutes is a little on the long side of things but you should probably only really start worrying if you are timing out the hunts. Some monsters wil be much harder/annoying depending on the weapon you are using.

Suicidal

Arcane

Dagger/Dual Blades benefit a lot from elemental damage so its always better to match your equip to the elemental weakness of the monster you are hunting. Glavenus is weak to water for example.

Yeah, tenderizing makes the part look like its scratched or something like that, it increases your damage a lot and prevents your weapons from bouncing when you attack that part. You could say it reduces the defense of the part (it actually increases the HZV - hitzone value and your affinity when hitting that part but the effect is the same in the end, numbers go up) so its almost always better to tenderize and focus on the weaker parts of the monsters, like heads or bellies, etc. Its not a flat increase tho, stronger areas will have a higher increase so they are still worth tenderizing if they are easier to reach but usually focusing on the parts that already are weakspots is better.

30 minutes for a first hunt against Master Rank monsters is a good-ish time. 40 minutes is a little on the long side of things but you should probably only really start worrying if you are timing out the hunts. Some monsters wil be much harder/annoying depending on the weapon you are using.
Coincidentally my daggers are water-based and it still took this long.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Y'all need to memorize names. "black thingy" and "big magma dinosaur" ain't gonna cut it when we're trying to offer tips and tricks for a specific monster.

Also, they're Dual Blades, not daggers!

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Fucking hate farming that guy with the thing on his head in the sand area. He's one of the least fun monsters, and you need his foreskin for everything.

Reinhardt

Arcane
killed neketaka or whatever was his name. at least this time i already picked all necessary clues for all 3 next hunts during all that running around in quests. elder dragons hunting time.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I feel like you're almost certainly trolling with the "forgotten" names at this point... There isn't a single monster that has anything close to that as their name.

At any rate, good luck against the Elders. Given your (presumed) overall level of skill, you're gonna need it.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
:negative:

Brother, there are only two monsters in MH:W whose names start with an "N", and they're both in Master Rank.

Tell me, are you playing the game in English? The monster names might be localized differently if you're playing in a non-English language.

Reinhardt

Arcane
what do you mean? neketaka pigdog is that thing attacking big walking thing! everyone knows him!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom