Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community More Divinity prizes, physical box copies available, raffles and more!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Features don't make a game, implementation does.
I have yet to play a Larian game I liked.

An example: Master of Orion 3 has all the features fans asked for- yet it sucks.

Those features sound good but I have to stress Larian's dodgy track record (nothing but action RPGs with a weird sense of humor, filled with many annoying "features" (dragon fortresses). We can't really say anything about this until it's done and we've played it.

Therefore: no pledge from me.

Now if only there was some hands on preview from someone trustworthy enough...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
mj018g.png
Seriously, will you dorks read this already http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8925

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Features don't make a game, implementation does.
I have yet to play a Larian game I liked.

An example: Master of Orion 3 has all the features fans asked for- yet it sucks.

Those features sound good but I have to stress Larian's dodgy track record (nothing but action RPGs with a weird sense of humor, filled with many annoying "features" (dragon fortresses). We can't really say anything about this until it's done and we've played it.

Therefore: no pledge from me.

Now if only there was some hands on preview from someone trustworthy enough...
I see what you are saying, but put yourself in a business man's perspective:

Someone from an RPG site is coming to check your game out. What do you do? You show him the parts that work well and are finished, and the ones you put the most work into. While indicative it's not representative of the finished game. Therefore I'll wait until it's out and have played it for myself.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ok. I admit I haven't been following this shit and I've never played any other Divinity titles. Can somebody succinctly and in Codexian terms give me a great reason to donate some potato and support this thing? For serious.

Personally I donated towards stuffing yet another game with silly Codex memes. This is for me the best reason.
Why are you a scary spider!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Someone from an RPG site is coming to check your game out. What do you do? You show him the parts that work well and are finished, and the ones you put the most work into. While indicative it's not representative of the finished game. Therefore I'll wait until it's out and have played it for myself.

While I do understand your caution, my belief is that the editor alone is worth the price of admission. But to each his own.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The fact that the game HAS those parts that work well and are atractive to the Codex is already quite an achievment nowadays...

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I'm not sure what you're saying. We should only contribute towards games that are 100% completed? The whole point of kickstarter is to fund the development so they can finish the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
He's saying he hates Larian because their games are not to his tastes, and everyone else should shit on Divinity, because this is the Codex, and he is a member here.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I'm not trolling... I am just saying Larian games aren't to my taste so I don't see what the fuss is about. You don't have to agree with me or anything. Further, I express puzzlement at the people liking Larian games so much, but what can I say? Different strokes for different folks.

Why you have to take this so negatively when this place has always been about stating your opinion - no matter who agrees with you - is befuddling.

I never troll, anyway. I am always truthful about my opinions. Why wouldn't I be? I don't derive enjoyment out of pretending to believe something I don't. If anything that's way more effort than I am willing to exert. I am a frail individual.

I am saying it's fine to be enthusiastic if you buy into what Larian promised and showed us. But I do at the very least feel like you ought to acknowledge that Larian hasn't exactly been a source of great classic RPGs in the past and I feel like I don't deserve being ridiculed for pointing this out.

Why do you make me explain these things? They are so obvious to me.

evdk: An editor means nothing to me. I can't stand fan creations - with rare exceptions. But I can see how an editor that would allow you to make games like U7 is appealing. Truthfully, when I was a kid I'd wished I had access to such a thing myself. I hope the game turns out to be fun for you (and maybe me, but as stated, I am sceptical)

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't think anyone actually is contesting your right to state your opinion, just the weirdness of stating it over and over in reply to people who explain why they like the game, as if the mere existence of your dislike of the game would somehow bring them around to your way of thinking.

Like someone once said, something you love sucks. Why? Because this is the RPGCodex. Of course, the converse of that is true, too. Something you think sucks, people love.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Chances are, everything you hate rocks. Why? Because this is RPG Codex!

It kinda works; I bet Bioware & Oblivion fans wouldn't like the games we like, in general.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
On a slightly different topic:

Please bros, PM me with your ENTITLEMENT wishes, I'm missing about 50 people from my list that can actually get stuff.

If I do not get a PM from you by Whenever The Fuck It Will Be, we will treat your response as the following default:

1) Yes to digital
2) No to physical

I won't be mass-mailing a-la VotS, but some people might get some PMs by the time the deadline's up. So yeah. PM at me bros.

It's not the only thing going for the game, check a video or two though, there's tons post-KS around, now.

Not sure if I'm entitled to anything, but if I am then I'm fine with the bolded.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Wait, so you can play this game without always being online? That's a pretty neat feature.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom