Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More MCA Codex Trolls.... INCOMING!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As much as I would like a codex.... Interesting smiley. The original still just come across better.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Only thing I would change is the mouth. I think the version I had is longer and straighter, closer to the original lineart (since it is just the actual lineart painted black) and, most importantly, makes him look more disapproving. If someone wants to add that mouth instead, be my guest.

Honestly, I sort of prefer the smaller mouth, more similar to the PBF original, and seems like it can convey more than just disapproval. However, here's a version with the mouth like you requested, to compare.

BkucK.png
9702baf3.png

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Out of sheer curiosity, color the codex troll white like the old Interesting smiley?

Did it super fast and sloppy (not making sure it doesn't screw up the lineart) because it's an idle curiosity thing, but here, greyshirt and pure white:

i8xU1.png
:hmmm:
RWczF.png

Haraldur

Augur
A possible replacement for :bounce:, with the attention of someone competent (not me):

6gzmu.png

(Obviously without the 2012 bit).

Perhaps, though, it is more for anticipatory fapping.

Or we could have another for after the cannon has fired... or two, one for success and one for failure (exploding in the face?).

Temaperacl

Erudite
The tilt to the mouth is what throws it off for me - don't want to change the lines too much, but maybe making the mouth a bit more horizontal instead of just straighter?
Hmm_RC_T.png

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
experiments in straight line mouth expression, like the original

slightly broader
acadafdf.png

alternatively brushed out tilt, kept length while leaving very subtle taper on right
de045b78.png

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I do like the cannon, and will probably fuck around with it a bit at some point for fun (not really sure which troll to mess with next), but I feel like without the fat bouncing of :bounce:, something of the joyful idiocy and excitement is lost.

Out of sheer curiosity, color the codex troll white like the old Interesting smiley?

Did it super fast and sloppy (not making sure it doesn't screw up the lineart) because it's an idle curiosity thing, but here, greyshirt and pure white:

i8xU1.png
RWczF.png

Nope, the red one is better.

Bro, the white one was never intended as a replacement. It was merely a little experiment made to satiate a faggot's curiosity so that he wouldn't become restless and start moving threads around out of boredom.

experiments in straight line mouth expression, like the original

slightly broader
acadafdf.png

alternatively brushed out tilt, kept length while leaving very subtle taper on right
de045b78.png

Small mouth, although closer to the PBF original in form, actually feels less similar attitude-wise. Not sure why.

The second one you made, on the other hand, with the brushed out tilt, same length, and preserved lineart taper, is great. Comparing side by side with the previous version, you can really see the difference. It's a nice example of a pretty small change that actually has a big effect.

9702baf3.png
de045b78.png

Before, I thought we'd gotten it to a pretty nice place, but it didn't feel quite the same as the original. I'd have been happy for it to be an alternative, but sad if it became a full substitute. Now, it feels close enough that I wouldn't mind.
Ugh, I hate that I used the word 'feel' so much.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The middle one is perfect. Stop fucking with it and get to work on the other ones.

LundB, massive :bro: for your work.

Leave the :bounce: bouncing, masturbating, purple thingy alone. The cannon is nice but I love the little fucker.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Yaar Podshipnik

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to change that one any more (unless someone asks something specific, and I get sort of curious to see how it looks), since sgc_meltdown's final edit is probably as close to perfect as we're going to get.

Thanks for the :bro:, but it's nowhere near being my work alone. :bro:s all around IMO.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's probably just me, but the guy is still more hilarious compared to the troll version. Something about his round face and that expression that just doesn't come out right on the troll. :shrug:

What if his eyes were a little smaller? The PBF guy looks funny because of his emotionless expression, and the troll's eyes look even bigger than they normally are, which is probably what makes it look a little off (he looks genuinely interested, instead of...amazed, like the PBF guy)

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
What if his eyes were a little smaller?

why make his eyes smaller when you can make him fatter by 12%
fat people are jolly so this is a net gain in more than one way

zSVoI.png
--->
de045b78.png
--->
1d716213.png

itt the unlimited potential and hubris of emoticon augmentation
fb49d4e0.jpg

adobe praxis shop

fuck you all I chose the david sarif ending
e1c80231.png

DU's old avatar looks like he could be adam jensen's cousin

Stinger

Arcane
Meltdown's final edit looks great. I personally have no changes to make to that.

Stinger

Arcane
I do however have some more things I want to change from my own stuff, i.e. changing them from the original, very fuzzy linear to FeelTheRads' sharpened redraws:

RrLfp.png
tKMj1.png
16sGJ.png
Daq1x.png

I also made some slight tweaks to trollface codex troll:

m05VV.png
vs:troll:

Michael Ellis

Scholar
Project: Eternity
Would one of you fine artists be gracious enough to add your magic touch to the masterpiece conceived for me by MCA?
:hug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom