Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal Kombat 1 Reboot

ADL

Prophet
Say what you will about the gameplay but the story modes have always been really well done in these recent MK games. Glad we're getting another Aftermath-style expansion pack. Wish they'd do an open world adventure/RPG in the style of Konquest mode from Deception. I know Invasions mode exists but that's no substitute. If we don't get it next game it's never gonna happen.

I like how JC Van Damme doesn't look like real Vand Damme at all but regular Cage looks EXACTLY like David Bowie.

vandammeMK1.jpg

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Also now I can finally give my verdict on Nitara VA: the trailer excuse doesn't fly, she really does sound off in the game and the gulf between her VA and others is very noticeable. Thus the trend of big name VAs in MK being terribad continues.

Once again my negativity and skepticism gets rightfully vindicated in the end, so far my track of bitching about mk is a flawless 100% correct and I really wish it wasn't the case ffs.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Watched the whole story cutscenes, overall verdict on the story mode: surprisingly good.
Yes i can nitpick and likely find some massive plotholes but it's no worst then previous mk story modes in that regard.

What matters is the plot keeps moving and is interesting to the point you wish it would take its time more, i.e: the actual mortal kombat tournament is only the first hour, just follows one character and most of the fights happen off screen with Sindel casually mentioning who the earthrealmer representative has beat. Then a second story starts and just when you think it's going to end on a decent cliffhanger, bang one more act that alone could have been a good excuse for an armageddon style game with a smorgasbord of characters and emphasis on custom fighters and alt variants of existing kombattants. Instead I feel they were just teasers for the nice looking kosmetics that will likely be fuel for microtransanctions alas, and from what I've seen of previewers, this game is going to be even grindier then mk11 was without even the option of having the AI fight and grind towers whilst you're away having a life (a situation which illustrates just how fucked up mk11 was in regard to respecting a players time imo, and removing the ability to automate it does not help ffs, the solution would be to not make the game a grind fest but gotta push that money grubbing bs).

Anyways back to the story, it easily had enough material to cut the game into 2 or 3 parts and tbh I'd have preferred it if they did but it's a good problem to have I guess.

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
The Deadly Alliance/Armaggeddon angles were totally unexpected. The mishmash of fighters at the end was quite a nice feature.

TC Jr

Scholar
Kano and Sonya have been staple characters since day 1. The other ones mentioned, not so much. Filler characters. They're mostly remembered only by hardcore MK players.
Are those really characters? I thought he would was making a joke.

Speaking of which, I was wondering, is there any version of that Mortal Kombat theme song that mentions the names of all (or maybe just most) fighters from all games? I am guessing it would go on for 30 minutes name-dropping only, but would be fun if someone took the time to do that.
Closest to exist AFAIK

ADL

Prophet
Been playing this for the past 5 hours and I hate the Kameo system a lot less than I thought I would. Since you can counter all of them and actually use your opponent's against themselves it's actually an alright system. Story mode is good and while Invasions mode is no substitute for Deception's Konquest, I'll take it.

Next game I want a proper Konquest mode though. Even if that means a full RPG spinoff.

The mishmash of fighters at the end was quite a nice feature.

Also it's cool that the Kreate-A-Fighter roster changes in every playthrough. It feels like tribute to all those Mugen Mortal Kombat fanmade games released throughout the years where you paint cyborg green, give it Reptile's head and call that character Acid.

Oh, it's great too see that Lord Darrius have much more screentime than Sonya.

Last edited:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just saw the trailer for this being advertised on YT.

2dwBWKc.png

Comments on manual approval, of course.

nSL5sxU.png

6SaLhRU.png

:prosper:

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Lmao. Since I took that screenshot, their ad campaign yielded 3k more dislikes.

3kLLnit.png

Great marketing, guys. :lol:

Falksi

Arcane
Jesus fucking wept, over 30 years since the original and the silly cunts still haven't worked out that using a button to block is fucking awful.

Busyman

Novice
Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Jesus fucking wept, over 30 years since the original and the silly cunts still haven't worked out that using a button to block is fucking awful.

In fairness, this is the same crew that thought making a dedicated run button was a good idea at one point. They also didn't see the flaw in a projectile that disables attacking for a couple of seconds.

Alex

Arcane

In fairness, this is the same crew that thought making a dedicated run button was a good idea at one point. They also didn't see the flaw in a projectile that disables attacking for a couple of seconds.

You know, so much stuff became just worse, less interesting, woke, and whatnot. I don't much care for MK in first place anyway and I haven't played one since MK 3. But there is something really nostalgic and comforting in realising that it is 2023 and people still complain that Mortal Kombat is not Street Fighter.

Mr. Yuppers

Barely Literate
Game is dog shit, played for a couple hours then refunded. It's literally like what the rumors said, they took injustice 3 and turned it into mk1 at the last second. 75% less features compared to Mk11 as well. Invasions feel like some crappy mobile game. Still no cross play? in 2020 fucking 3? Thats why I dropped mk11 in the fucking first place.

This was just a quick cash grab nothing more. Game is barren compared to what mk11 has.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

The mark of a true quality game, when people are releasing vids on how to game the artificial grind as painlessly as possible.

Entire script of upcoming story expansion leaked and there are no surpises - Liu Kang's Era Havik was just a crazy freedom fighter but the true Havik is the one from MK1 ending. Like in Deception, he gathers small crew but now Kabal, Kira and Kobra are replaced by Kenshi Jin, Kitanya and Quan Chill.

Titan Havik tries to merge Kamidogu with time crystals to merge all the realms and bring their inhabitants into the biggest multiverse slaughter ever.

Oh, and that 'Unkown Girl' from Kombat Pack 2 leak is playable Sareena, Omni-Man in one of his intros refers to her as Damien Darkblood's girlfriend.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://kotaku.com/mk1-mortal-kombat-1-switch-trailer-steam-pop-up-pc-port-1850857513

Fans Upset After Spotting Steam Pop-Up In Mortal Kombat 1's Switch Trailer​

The Nintendo port of Mortal Kombat’s latest entry has come under fire for its poor performance and ugly graphics​

A screenshot of the Switch port of MK1 shows an ugly character model and above him, a Steam pop up.

Screenshot: WB Games / Kotaku

Mortal Kombat 1 on the Nintendo Switch isn’t the best version of the game. Players have shared numerous visual bugs, performance problems, long loading times and low res textures in social media posts and forums. And now, some of them are angry that an official launch trailer for the Switch version of MK1 seems to show footage from the PC version of the game, not the Switch port, based on a Steam notification pop up that briefly appears in it.

Out now on Xbox, PlayStation, PC and Switch—following a brief period of paid early accessMortal Kombat 1 is the latest entry in the long-running, super popular, and ultra-violent fighting game franchise. This time around, the entire universe has been rebooted following the events of Mortal Kombat 11, hence the “1” in the title. This new version of the universe features familiar faces in new roles, a kinda bad Megan Fox as Nitara performance, and rebooted origin stories for popular fighters. And while the PC, Xbox and PlayStation ports of MK1 have received mostly positive reviews, the same can’t be said for the game’s messy $70 Switch port.

Now, some Mortal Kombat 1 players are upset after spotting a Steam notification in its official Switch launch trailer. Many believe the visuals and performance in the trailer isn’t representative of the final version of the game running on actual Switch hardware, and the Steam pop up that appears at 1:52 confirms that at least some of the footage in this trailer wasn’t captured on a Switch or a Switch dev kit. It should be noted that the trailer mentions “Footage Not Final” at the start.

A screenshot of the trailer that shows the Steam pop up in the corner.

The Steam pop-up can be seen briefly in the bottom right corner of the video. Screenshot: WB Games / Nintendo / Kotaku

Kotaku reached out to WB Games and NetherRealm for clarification.

To be clear: A lot of trailers you see for video games include footage that was captured on a PC or dev kit and not the actual console hardware. However, this instance is under more careful scrutiny as the trailer footage is at-odds with the actual game’s performance on Switch. And the Steam notification, besides just being sloppy, gives away a possible explanation for why the game and trailer don’t match up. The trailer is still live on Nintendo’s Youtube channel as of 12:50 p.m EST on September 20.

The Switch port received so much online criticism that Mortal Kombat creator and series producer Ed Boon actually responded, telling the BBC that the maligned port will “absolutely be getting an update” that will address “a number of the concerns” seen online.

“It would have been ideal for us to have released the version that we absolutely wanted,” said Boon. “But anything that we’re finding a problem with is on our list and is going to be fixed. Anything that we see that is not acceptable will absolutely be addressed.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom