Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
No witty comeback

damn-daniel.gif

Hay?

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
MarathonGuy1337 - If you believe there was not witty comeback, I believe it would be best to leave it at that.
dbz-goku.gif

You mean the quoting me and King Crispy and leaving no rebuttal or lame excuse for your inflated ego.

It's not what I'd call witty but in your case it might actually be an improvement as you have with all your passed half assed comebacks demonstrated a complete lack of wit and intellect.

Gahbreeil

Learned
You mean the quoting me and King Crispy and leaving no rebuttal or lame excuse for your inflated ego.

It's not what I'd call witty but in your case it might actually be an improvement as you have with all your passed half assed comebacks demonstrated a complete lack of wit and intellect.
Right. You missed the point. :negative: You have said "I think I was very witty" and my exact reply was what King Crispy had said. If you believe yourself to be witty, welcome to RPG Codex. Get it? Many people might think of themselves as witty yet... Get it?

In any case, your continued trolling upon this thread made me decide that the best answer would be the following media and .gif.

jurassic-park-this-is-one-big-pile-of-shit.gif

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great summary of this thread and your game design ideas! Couldn't have said it better myself! Bravo!!

Have another award on the house.
Since you keep coming back for more, I gave you a shit rating on your post.

This is probably the most lucid and non-retarded thing you've written ITT. Congrats!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is probably the most lucid and non-retarded thing you've written ITT. Congrats!
I have essentially told you to eat excrement and you're congratulating me? On being lucid? The entire thread was lucid before the trolls appeared.

Yeah, I think forming a proper sentence is a noteworthy accomplishment for you. I understand why you didn't understand that, but good job on noticing and expressing your confusion, little buddy!

Gahbreeil

Learned
Yeah, I think forming a proper sentence is a noteworthy accomplishment for you. I understand why you didn't understand that, but good job on noticing and expressing your confusion, little buddy!
You've missed the point as well, what a surprise.

I told you that you eat shit. You said it was lucid. Expressing my confusion?

Gahbreeil

Learned
While the fantasy role-playing genre has been ignored by a lot of companies lately, the people at Black Keep Studios have decided to try something different. The result of their efforts is Mortal, an immersive simulation role-playing game that uses a more traditional isometric view instead of the first-person look that has become increasingly common.

So what, besides the perspective, makes Mortal so different? For starters, the basic idea that went into creating the game was to make it more available to a variety of gamers and gaming styles. To help do this, Mortal has been the first to innovate equality between the Player and the NPCs. You can go into the dungeons by yourself, but for a more interesting experience, as well as one that better duplicates the feel of playing a pen-and-paper RPG, you can hook up with NPCs as if it was the Sims.

Naturally, the idea is for you and your friends to talk about the game and there is a lot to talk about, each playthrough is unique and the player can do almost anything. A character can be found in an inn in one player's game yet the same character might appear in another place at the same time for the other player. This is because of the innovative Array of Actions and the percentages or statistics that decide whether a character is hungry, tired or wounded which together allow the NPCs to become as real and living as never before. The metagame is much different than in most role-playing games - if the player decides to follow the main quest, he or she won't have to play nice, will be able to attack literally anyone, cast spells until the virtual world sees his or her point of view. In other words, both the player and the characters are capable of acting like real people.

Additionally, every time a player sits down with Mortal, it's a different gaming experience. Rather than focusing on the adventure of the main quest, the player can thrive and die amidst NPCs who go about their lifes. Even when you have finished an adventure, you can go back to the start and play through the game again, having an entirely new experience. The world and setting might be the same yet the NPCs will always be up to something else.

Players can opt for any character type, ranging from a simple carpenter to a woodsman or hunter, a guard or a thief and at last, a sorcerer. No type has weaknesses and no type has strengths as the player and the NPCs try to live in a world that is constantly changing based on supply and demand, the statistics mentioned before, work as well as sword and sorcery.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, I skimmed all of that. Yeah ... slow work day.

So let me see if I have the plan straight in my mind:
1) Trademark a groundbreaking RPG concept with such unprecedented ideas as character stats and profession skills, with setting and plot to be determined later
2) Hope that a huge studio decides to develop a game based on this "idea" and make it the greatest blockbuster of all time
3) Hope that the studio somehow agrees to only take enough proceeds to barely cover their costs
4) Collect 100% of profits

Basically it's the classic "I wanna be a rock star" non-strategy, hoping to be "discovered" by a billion dollar corporation that wants to turn a nothing idea into a household name. All without ever bothering to pick up a guitar.

Last edited:

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Basically it's the classic "I wanna be a rock star" non-strategy, hoping to be "discovered" by a billion dollar corporation that wants to turn a nothing idea into a household name. All without ever bothering to pick up a guitar.
You don't get it. The guy's got ideas. Ideas. What else do you need apart from ideas ? Talent ? Money ? Food ? Anything that actually exists ? No, ideas are the real deal.

Talking about that, let's see those ideas.
While the fantasy role-playing genre has been ignored by a lot of companies lately
You may not be aware that 2023 is one of the biggest year for RPGs in a very long time. BG3 itself was one of the greatest hit ever on Steam.

an immersive simulation role-playing game that uses a more traditional isometric view instead of the first-person look that has become increasingly common.
BG3 is an isometric RPG, as is Colony Ship, another solid RPG released this year. Starfield is third person shooter.

To help do this, Mortal has been the first to innovate equality between the Player and the NPCs. You can go into the dungeons by yourself, but for a more interesting experience, as well as one that better duplicates the feel of playing a pen-and-paper RPG, you can hook up with NPCs as if it was the Sims.
Most blobbers allow to recruit NPCs to explore dungeons. In M&M6, you can even recruit passerby. Otherwise, Kenshi does it too. Did I mention Kenshi is isometric ?

Naturally, the idea is for you and your friends to talk about the game and there is a lot to talk about, each playthrough is unique and the player can do almost anything. A character can be found in an inn in one player's game yet the same character might appear in another place at the same time for the other player.
Nice ! Kenshi does exactly this.

This is because of the innovative Array of Actions and the percentages or statistics that decide whether a character is hungry, tired or wounded which together allow the NPCs to become as real and living as never before.
Not only Kenshi does it too, but if you're any serious you may want to look at the Ryzom monster AI model that allowed monsters to have different behaviour according to their status and appetite. There was documentation available online at the time, it was very clever.

The metagame is much different than in most role-playing games - if the player decides to follow the main quest, he or she won't have to play nice, will be able to attack literally anyone, cast spells until the virtual world sees his or her point of view. In other words, both the player and the characters are capable of acting like real people.
Funny you mention it, that's the idea behind Kenshi.

Additionally, every time a player sits down with Mortal, it's a different gaming experience. Rather than focusing on the adventure of the main quest, the player can thrive and die amidst NPCs who go about their lifes. Even when you have finished an adventure, you can go back to the start and play through the game again, having an entirely new experience. The world and setting might be the same yet the NPCs will always be up to something else.
Guess what ? Yup, that's Kenshi in a nutshell.

Players can opt for any character type, ranging from a simple carpenter to a woodsman or hunter, a guard or a thief and at last, a sorcerer. No type has weaknesses and no type has strengths as the player and the NPCs try to live in a world that is constantly changing based on supply and demand, the statistics mentioned before, work as well as sword and sorcery.
Ok, Kenshi has no sorcerer, you have something here.

But still, you may want to try Kenshi. It is also very good.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
While the fantasy role-playing genre has been ignored by a lot of companies lately, the people at Black Keep Studios have decided to try something different. The result of their efforts is Mortal, an immersive simulation role-playing game that uses a more traditional isometric view instead of the first-person look that has become increasingly common.

So what, besides the perspective, makes Mortal so different? For starters, the basic idea that went into creating the game was to make it more available to a variety of gamers and gaming styles. To help do this, Mortal has been the first to innovate equality between the Player and the NPCs. You can go into the dungeons by yourself, but for a more interesting experience, as well as one that better duplicates the feel of playing a pen-and-paper RPG, you can hook up with NPCs as if it was the Sims.

Naturally, the idea is for you and your friends to talk about the game and there is a lot to talk about, each playthrough is unique and the player can do almost anything. A character can be found in an inn in one player's game yet the same character might appear in another place at the same time for the other player. This is because of the innovative Array of Actions and the percentages or statistics that decide whether a character is hungry, tired or wounded which together allow the NPCs to become as real and living as never before. The metagame is much different than in most role-playing games - if the player decides to follow the main quest, he or she won't have to play nice, will be able to attack literally anyone, cast spells until the virtual world sees his or her point of view. In other words, both the player and the characters are capable of acting like real people.

The people? What have you discovered the secret of Rabbi Loew and created a Golem or a army of sentient Homunculus from a pack of 12 chicken eggs
153457.gif

I need those secrets

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
if the player decides to follow the main quest, he or she won't have to play nice, will be able to attack literally anyone, cast spells until the virtual world sees his or her point of view. In other words, both the player and the characters are capable of acting like real people.

:hmmm:

What kind of fucked-up reality is this?

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom