Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most annoying non-obvious things in modern gaming

deuxhero

Arcane
Inability to name save files and (when applicable) lack of screenshots on them.

ferratilis

Magister
achievements baked into games
True in 99% of cases, but have you ever played Stalker Call of Pripyat? That game had interesting achievements that had a real effect on the world around you (merchants giving better prices, more monsters spawning at night, being able to survive emissions etc.). It's also the only game I know that implemented achievements in an interesting way.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty obvious but "smooth" UI/menu
ss_d8e1385e71995dd3e8aa4281bbde8933ae04b820.1920x1080.jpg

mode_slide03_thumb.jpg
GHEY
you mean borderless?

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This one should be obvious, but no one points it out: how long every game takes to fucking release.

Yeah, yeah, "gaymes are bigger now so they take longer to make!!!". Dev teams are also like 10-20x bigger than they were in the 00s, with budgets 10-100x the size, and yet unless you're the kind of manchild who still buys Fifa every year, you're waiting several years for sequels that would've taken 2 in the past. It's impossible to become invested in a series if I realise that I'm probably going to have kids my age by the time the next one comes out, and be dead and buried before it ever ends.

And the main reason they all take so much longer now is pure WASTE. Big bloated companies that are like 30% managers, advisors, and HR she-gremlins bribing jack-off devs who give 0 shits into the office with bean-bags and free Red Bulls. Working in tech myself I can tell you this exact bullshit happens all over the industry, and was the major cause of last year's lay-offs, but it's far worse in gaming because large gaming companies are some of the only places in the world where you can go 6+ years without releasing ANYTHING, because jaw-hanging troglodytes still buy your fucking online passes and re-releases on the daily. If these guys actually had to work for their pay-cheques a little, we'd be seeing dev times half of what they are now among AAA teams.

It's an issue that honestly bothers me a lot more than the general decline in game quality, because at least if you release a shitty game with short cycles, you get another shot at a good game reasonably soon. But when you wait 10 years for GTA 6 or TES 6, the game had better be a fucking masterpiece--and if it's not then the fans can all forget about getting a good one this side of retirement.

J1M

Arcane
The biggest problem that prevents me from purchasing modern games is the combinatorics of the packaging and splicing of the game. I shouldn't need to perform research in order to know which edition/add-ons/DLC/pre-order bonuses to purchase in order to have an authentic appropriately challenging experience that doesn't leave me feeling ripped off.

Unless the spreadsheet chart from the marketing team makes it very clear which extras are for losers with impulse control problems, the chart itself is usually enough for me to abandon the notion of a purchase.

The biggest problem that prevents me from purchasing modern games is the combinatorics of the packaging and splicing of the game. I shouldn't need to perform research in order to know which edition/add-ons/DLC/pre-order bonuses to purchase in order to have an authentic appropriately challenging experience that doesn't leave me feeling ripped off.

Unless the spreadsheet chart from the marketing team makes it very clear which extras are for losers with impulse control problems, the chart itself is usually enough for me to abandon the notion of a purchase.

The new Hitman trilogy turned this into an art-form.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I remember wasting half an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't find Hollow Knight "Voidheart Edition" on PC until I finally realised the PC version just added Voidheart features without the rename. So basically you have the exact same game with different names depending on the console. What in God's name is the point in that?

gamerguy

Educated
gamers these days are gaaslit AF... those games can be fun for sure, but they are fundamentally different by design

i prefer a complete work that ships 'finished'... forever recorded, bugs and all, on a CD/DVD or cart

now get TF off my lawn

typical user

Arbiter
1. BIG UI to accomodate for console ppl playing on large TVs.
2. Camera auto-center for controllers with no ability to turn off for M+KB.
3. System requirements not stating what recommended specs are for; is it 1080p 30fps? 4k 60fps? Ultra preset with RT on or High with RT off?
4. Battle-pass FOMO shit.

I hate how noisy modern games are. Back in 90's I played e.g. Quake (because I have rip not full version) and Doom (problems with setting up sound card) w/o music so there games were silent and silence was interrupted only by the sound of monsters, guns and protagonist gruntling in pain.

Now there's too much shit babbling relentlessly: audiologs, radio broadcasts, waifu who's your sidekick or NPC you have to protect...

spectre

Arcane
Nothing breaks whatever's left of my immershun like having ads appearing in the game menus. I think I really started noticing it first with Total War Shogun 2.
On release, you would just run the game and that's it, but now they updated it to show you some sort of a separate launcher to advertise all the DLC
you might be missing as well as other games. I suffer enough of this shit when I open steam and when I run the game I paid for - kindly fuck off with that crap.

Also, in every modern military-themed fps (and even tpp) these days you will be running around with a M4 with an Aimpoint sight,
once you take aim, these games become indistinguishable from one another - you're staring down a big circle with a red dot in the middle and plink away
(usually with the same-ish lame-ass report, because you're special ops and therefore every gun must be supressed).
Even when the gun changes, it's often the same red dot sitting on top, though sometimes you get an Eotech sight for a bit variety,
or a chevron instead of a dot if its eastern-themed.
I suppose that's in a sense "realistic", but gets tiresome.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
how many faggots want vidya to be the storytelling medium. you want a good story? read a fucking book you cocksuckers, too many decent games plagued by emofags who think you can't just have combat, exploration, and good mechanics. i don't give a fuck about what half cooked idea they want to shove into it it's always some utopic fag shit anyways. what the fuck happened to just playing a game and not having some life changing moment? fucking faggots and their sensitivities. storyfags can ride pluto's thorny cock.

how many faggots want vidya to be the storytelling medium. you want a good story? read a fucking book you cocksuckers, too many decent games plagued by emofags who think you can't just have combat, exploration, and good mechanics. i don't give a fuck about what half cooked idea they want to shove into it it's always some utopic fag shit anyways. what the fuck happened to just playing a game and not having some life changing moment? fucking faggots and their sensitivities. storyfags can ride pluto's thorny cock.
It's because those people have their cultural experience in life summed up by videogames. Think of american suburban kids. All of their houses look the same and they probabbly have no real friends (even though it's been shown that, universally, people are having less and less friends as generations go on). That's why it has to be a near religious experience. It's all they have.

Those people just make me want to play more FIFA tbh.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
It's because those people have their cultural experience in life summed up by videogames. Think of american suburban kids. All of their houses look the same and they probabbly have no real friends (even though it's been shown that, universally, people are having less and less friends as generations go on). That's why it has to be a near religious experience. It's all they have.

Those people just make me want to play more FIFA tbh.
Speak for yourself

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Restricted keybinds and no keybinds. Seriously, the fuck is this, 1985?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom