Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most deranged Codex hatedoms

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Hate keeps a man alive. It gives him strength.

It also makes him stupid, but what are you gonna do

Probably the hate on the Firaxis X-Coms, to me. I can't see them as dumbed down per say, as their design are very calculated and the difficulty can be considerable, as long as you play them ironman of course.

If you get in a crpg player that reloads his save every time he gets a bad roll, as we all know and love them, then of course he'll think these games are boring. Eventually he'll think all games are boring, too... then he'll go on about how much you're all a bunch of "fucking autistic nerds" who "can't get laid" and next thing you know, he's registered for a sexual offense. You can't escape your destiny

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DE hate crowd easily takes the cake. Referring back to that thread Gregz made,
Proposed exhaustive list of RPG elements (subject to change based on suggestions, corrections, or related editions)

1. Character creation has some form of in-game consequences
  2. Statistics which define character(s) abilities are subject to change throughout the game
  3. Character(s) have skills or abilities which may improve or be altered over the course of gameplay
  4. Character(s) accrue experience which can be spent or result in gaining levels or abilities
  5. Character(s) accumulate items in some form of inventory, which the player can actively use (equip, sell, destroy, trade, etc.), which enhance or otherwise alter gameplay
  6. Character(s) accumulate currency which may be spent to enhance the character(s) in some way (items, guild membership, training, etc.)
  7. Character(s) gain levels throughout the game which result in some form of mechanical change (not just a change in character title, or description)
  8. Character(s) are able to explore over terrain, water, space, etc. ('explore' refers to free movement of main character(s))
  9. The game has some form of puzzle solving, which is resolved through combat, problem resolution, or some choice made by the player
  10. A choice made by the player alters the narrative, or some other significant part of the game (an item is found or lost, stats or skills are gained or lost, different ending, etc.)
  11. Character(s) interact with NPCs in some form of dialogue which have in-game consequences depending on what the character(s) say.
  12. Optional quests (defined here as some kind of task made available after the game has started, and which can be resolved by the player before the game ends, but is not required to complete the game) are available.
DE literally meets all 12 of the criteria. Even if you want to limit RPGs to games with combat, that doesn't make DE an RPG or an adventure game, but something that is very similar to an RPG and occupies its own pseudo niche/genre. It's a quality game, at the very least in the top 15 RPGs of all time.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a reason QFG isn't considered an RPG, and DE is even less of one. I know you're too young to even know what QFG is though.
DE is firmly in the visual novel category.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Stop using acronyms if you haven't typed the full name at least once first. It took me a minute to realize you guys were talking about Disco Elysium and I don't even know what QFG is

Butter

Arcane
Patron
DE hate crowd easily takes the cake. Referring back to that thread Gregz made,
Proposed exhaustive list of RPG elements (subject to change based on suggestions, corrections, or related editions)

1. Character creation has some form of in-game consequences
  2. Statistics which define character(s) abilities are subject to change throughout the game
  3. Character(s) have skills or abilities which may improve or be altered over the course of gameplay
  4. Character(s) accrue experience which can be spent or result in gaining levels or abilities
  5. Character(s) accumulate items in some form of inventory, which the player can actively use (equip, sell, destroy, trade, etc.), which enhance or otherwise alter gameplay
  6. Character(s) accumulate currency which may be spent to enhance the character(s) in some way (items, guild membership, training, etc.)
  7. Character(s) gain levels throughout the game which result in some form of mechanical change (not just a change in character title, or description)
  8. Character(s) are able to explore over terrain, water, space, etc. ('explore' refers to free movement of main character(s))
  9. The game has some form of puzzle solving, which is resolved through combat, problem resolution, or some choice made by the player
  10. A choice made by the player alters the narrative, or some other significant part of the game (an item is found or lost, stats or skills are gained or lost, different ending, etc.)
  11. Character(s) interact with NPCs in some form of dialogue which have in-game consequences depending on what the character(s) say.
  12. Optional quests (defined here as some kind of task made available after the game has started, and which can be resolved by the player before the game ends, but is not required to complete the game) are available.
DE literally meets all 12 of the criteria. Even if you want to limit RPGs to games with combat, that doesn't make DE an RPG or an adventure game, but something that is very similar to an RPG and occupies its own pseudo niche/genre. It's a quality game, at the very least in the top 15 RPGs of all time.
That thread is a meme my dude.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
It's a flagship D&D 5E title meant to represent WotC's brand as it currently is, not an AD&D 2E game.
It's also a sequel to Baldur's Gate. If they want it to represent WotC as it currently is that's just lame. Have you ever heard anyone criticize BG 1 and 2 for allowing a party size of 6? Of course not because you don't have to play with a party of 6. BG3 gives you more class and race options then limits party size preventing you from using as many in a playthrough. It also makes your game which already feels more like a D:OS seem even more like a D:OS sequel.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's a flagship D&D 5E title meant to represent WotC's brand as it currently is, not an AD&D 2E game.
It's also a sequel to Baldur's Gate. If they want it to represent WotC as it currently is that's just lame. Have you ever heard anyone criticize BG 1 and 2 for allowing a party size of 6? Of course not because you don't have to play with a party of 6. BG3 gives you more class and race options then limits party size preventing you from using as many in a playthrough. It also makes your game which already feels more like a D:OS seem even more like a D:OS sequel.
The target audience wasn't even born when Baldur's Gate was released.

Codex Year of the Donut
That's a good point. I'm glad the people who made the new Star Wars trilogy made shit choices because the target audience wasn't born when the original trilogy came out.
yea but the difference is the people making BG3 made the best-selling turn based cRPG of all time and was singlehandedly responsible for reviving "classical" RPGs and proving to publishers that turn-based RPGs actually sell

so

there's a bit of a difference

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
That's a good point. I'm glad the people who made the new Star Wars trilogy made shit choices because the target audience wasn't born when the original trilogy came out.
yea but the difference is the people making BG3 made the best-selling turn based cRPG of all time and was singlehandedly responsible for reviving "classical" RPGs and proving to publishers that turn-based RPGs actually sell

so

I'm not criticizing it being turn based. I'm criticizing the party size.

Codex Year of the Donut

so

I'm not criticizing it being turn based. I'm criticizing the party size.
I trust the developers that made the bestselling turn-based cRPG of all time to make the right decisions

Harthwain

Magister
It's also a sequel to Baldur's Gate.
Let's be frank - it's just a trademark at this point. One, I agree, they shouldn't be using. Or market clearly as a spin-off. Spin-offs are allowed to be different while drawing from the the original.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sometimes lots of Codexers will appear to vocally hate on a particular game, series or studio. And sometimes other people might think that hate is inexplicable and self-destructive. It might be anti-Larianism, anti-Owlcatism or perhaps a reflexive mistrust of indie titles in general.

Which Codex hatedom do you think is the most deranged? What games or developers do you think Codexers should show more appreciation towards?
All of them. If you don't like something then the normal thing to do is move along. Perhaps you can write an interesting post identifying all the flaws you think that exist, explain your case why you think they are problems and maybe come up with some solutions for what would make it better. You know, have an actual discussion about it. But a select few here seem to just fester in their obsessive hate for something in particular, almost as if they were physically hurt or slighted by a game being bad. This isn't normal behavior and could be a symptom of some real life problem that should be examined by medical professionals. It's not a unique thing to the Codex, I've seen it appear here and there in other internet places. The one thing that's consistent among these people is that they are quite manic and extremely unreasonable.

Codex Year of the Donut
BG2 was 100x more of a spinoff than BG3.
BG1 -> implications of the iron crisis on Baldur's Gate
BG2 -> some spinoff bullshit with the bhaalspawn and a pregnant totally-not-child elf whatever. Does NOT take place in Baldur's Gate.
BG3 -> implications of a tiefling refugee influx on Baldur's Gate

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Stop using acronyms if you haven't typed the full name at least once first. It took me a minute to realize you guys were talking about Disco Elysium and I don't even know what QFG is
To all you retards giving me negative ratings for this, I realize now it's quest for glory and you're all a bunch of dumbfucks for thinking I haven't played the series just because I couldn't think of the name based on an acronym

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
To all you retards giving me negative ratings for this, I realize now it's quest for glory and you're all a bunch of dumbfucks for thinking I haven't played the series just because I couldn't think of the name based on an acronym
GOOL

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nigga chill, the buttons don't real anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom