Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most deranged Codex hatedoms

gaussgunner

Arcane
Most deranged fandoms: anything involving IE games that aren't PST. Thoroughly trash games through and through designed to be bottom of the barrel RPGs with mass appeal using mechanics from what was the biggest fad at the time(RTS)
PST, despite this, manages to be a good game. Good job, Avellone. You get one(1) Rusty seal of approval.
The RTS fad, hahahaha, you're so right. That explains why those games are so overrated. I never even knew about them when they came out, probably because... *checks wikipedia* yup, they were Windows/Mac games and I was still gaming on DOS. It was all for the button-clicker noobs.

That said, I liked the Westwood RTSes, it's just that all the copycats grew tiresome. And I'll grant that it's possible to make a good RPG on an RTS-RTwP engine, I've just never played PST because the premise doesn't interest me and I know it's not worth playing for the combat.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
Not necessarily the most deranged hatedom, but certainly the one I find most entertaining is the anti Larian, particularly anti Baldur's Gate 3 crowd. Maybe it's a bit of schadenfreude, as I was never a big fan of Baldur's Gate myself, but I just think it's funny, even though I appreciate their arguments, most of the time.

It could also be because the friend of mine who introduced me to Baldur's Gate as a kid was a massive neckbeard fedora tipper, before that was even a thing.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Not necessarily the most deranged hatedom, but certainly the one I find most entertaining is the anti Larian, particularly anti Baldur's Gate 3 crowd. Maybe it's a bit of schadenfreude, as I was never a big fan of Baldur's Gate myself, but I just think it's funny, even though I appreciate their arguments, most of the time.
Yup, there's nothing deranged about hating Larian when you've played Divine Divinity and seen how far they've fallen. And I can only imagine the rage of Baldur's Gate fans as Larian butchers their baby. If past decline is any indication of future performance, BG3 is gonna make PoE look like a work of art.

It could also be because the friend of mine who introduced me to Baldur's Gate as a kid was a massive neckbeard fedora tipper, before that was even a thing.
lol

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
people hating on BG2 are pretty fucking deranged
people liking bg2 are deranged
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-was-bg2-subpar.1935/
Dude you loved Fallout 76.
ad hominem + better than bg2

sorry the game you guys like is actually trash, while the game you guys attack me for liking you've never even played!
"b-b-but I'm magical and know what a game is like without playing it!"
yeah, sure you do
at least I've played BG2 enough times to call it trash through and through

Bigg Boss

Arcane
people hating on BG2 are pretty fucking deranged
people liking bg2 are deranged
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/why-was-bg2-subpar.1935/
Dude you loved Fallout 76.
ad hominem + better than bg2

sorry the game you guys like is actually trash, while the game you guys attack me for liking you've never even played!
"b-b-but I'm magical and know what a game is like without playing it!"
yeah, sure you do
at least I've played BG2 enough times to call it trash through and through

I just don't see how anybody that shilled for a Bethesda game like 76 (hardcore shilling like most of your posts were there for a long time) in current year can act like such a hardcore RPG dude. Your opinions kinda suck so anytime I hear you talk shit about any decent turnbased RPG it makes me laugh. BG 2 is not the best game ever but it is better than anything Bethesda makes.

:abyssgazer:

Codex Year of the Donut
What do you like about Fallout 76?
I went over it in the thread -- and surprise -- many codexers who tried it out after I recommended it ended up enjoying it for what it is. People who would have otherwise pretended to know what the game was about despite never playing it, merely because the codex told them what to think. What a lovely website.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine being so afraid of what people on the codex might think that you're afraid to play certain games. What a shithole of a website.
If something is almost universally hated around here at first blush, I'd feel a bit apprehensive to pay $40-$50 for it. When the same game is going for under $10, I might give it a try for sure.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Yup, there's nothing deranged about hating Larian when you've played Divine Divinity and seen how far they've fallen.
Divinity is one of their worst games and OS 2 is one of their best so they're falling upwards.
If you think the mediocre turnbased combat makes up for the ugly 3D (which is decline from Divinity II) and general cringe, I suppose.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
If you think the mediocre turnbased combat makes up for the ugly 3D (which is decline from Divinity II) and general cringe, I suppose.
Now *this* is a spoiled brat. I remember how back in the late 00's we were desperate for any kind of non-pedo turn-based RPG, now on the other hand people can afford to be picky (and this is thanks in part to the success of the first Original Sin game).

But keep complaining.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I keep saying: CRPG fans are as desperate and delusional as Stealth game fans. That's why they will gobble up and praise any slop that gets thrown their way, be it DOS2 or Dishonored.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
pillars of eternity hatedom are fucking deranged. it has flaws sure, but it does a lot of things well, especially deadfire. the hatewagon mostly came from chris avellone / feargus drama that extend toward obsidian games in general

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
V6ig07s.jpg

In my opinion, fandoms become "toxic" when only positivity is allowed. It usually lead to every fault in the game getting excused in some way.

Hate keeps it honest and
rating_sawyer.gif

gaussgunner

Arcane
Now *this* is a spoiled brat. I remember how back in the late 00's we were desperate for any kind of non-pedo turn-based RPG, now on the other hand people can afford to be picky (and this is thanks in part to the success of the first Original Sin game).

But keep complaining.
Whatever bruh. DOS was a product of Kickstarter. Developer with 10 years of making 3D ARPGs says, Sweet now we can make that turnbased RPG we always wanted but were too afraid of going broke.

How bad was it really? In the 2000s (excluding consoles) you got
- Wizardry 8
- Fallout Tactics
- Geneforge, Avernum, Nethergate
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Knights of the Chalice

And the "turnbased rennaissance" brought you
- Shadowrun
- Banner Saga
- Grimrock
- Elminage Gothic
- Lords of Xulima
- Telepath Tactics
- NEO Scavenger
- Age of Decadence
- Divinity Original Sin
- Underrail
- Darkest Dungeon
- Grimoire

So there was a drought in the 2000s and a glut of indie devs in general in the 2010s. Whatever.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
pillars of eternity hatedom are fucking deranged. it has flaws sure, but it does a lot of things well, especially deadfire. the hatewagon mostly came from chris avellone / feargus drama that extend toward obsidian games in general

I have to disagree with this. PoE was a huge disappointment in terms of the writing in general, quests, linearity, the hubs, and even the combat mobs. It was meh. And what's worse, the "balancing" was so fucking extreme that the classes just seemed to blend together.

Pheh I say! Pheh!

The Welsh crap and colonial world could have been interesting, but after the first town (Ch1) it just went downhill quite steeply.

Edit: One thing to add. This was the last Obsidian game I purchased. The reason for this was because I was so let down by everything.
I sat back and said "this is the best they could do? After all that support for years, and their horse shit that it was always the publishers fault, this was it."

I mean honestly guys, I'm convinced New Vegas is a fluke. It's their Magnum opus. And it was under constant constraint by the publisher etc.

Plus Soyer wasn't even enthusiastic about doing PoE. This cocksucker has the opportunity to make his own game and world etc. And do it from scratch, and PoE is what we got.

Let's not forget the game was late and even ran out of funding I believe or almost did, and zFergus essentially said get it done or its your job.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom