Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Zanzoken

Arcane
This meme brought to you after 10 years of development

ifP67o2.jpg

Zariusz

Arbiter

Ruchy

Scholar
Voice commands changed the game for me, much much more usable system for directing your troops.
Has anyone tried the full paid version? wondering if it's worth it.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Just come here to say that Bannerlord(more like boringlord or placeholder lord) is fucking disappointment.
Maybe they will fix it in the Bannerlord:Nerfband standalone expansion in next 8 years but I doubt it.
I mean lets ignore all that missing parts and look at what its here:
>fucking Paradox MANA(aka influence)
the worst paradox mechanic(outside of selling overpriced DLC and shitty Clausewitz engine)
>relationships are clan based(instead of personal one)
>cavalry nerfed to the ground
>infantry being shit
>spears being shit
>archers OP(combined with no shield for most troops, shitty armor and archers Aimbot skills)
>no passive experience training(and that with shitty auto calc mean manually fighting every band of looters just to level your tier one recruits)
>silly item pricing
>shitty(i like the idea to be honest) leveling system(but its done in fucking terrible way)
>shitty unit collision making foot troops blob all over and making numbers>quality in melee
I know that its EA and all(why EA sabotaged this game tho?) but still.
It looked more fun in demo version they presented some times ago. Even with silly skyrim like shoulders.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

vota DC

Augur
Siege is still a brutal affair I see. I'm not sure due to bug or whatever. No way to make sense of it.
I was with 1300 attackers storming a 400-strong city and I realized something was wrong when I stormed the wall, killed 23 when the rest of the army had scored less than 5 in total while we sustained 400+ losses.
I got overwhelmed, fell on the wall.
Eventually, auto-resolve had us winning with 1000 losses.
I think if I left it at manual, we would've lost way more.
Best way to avoid AI derp during sieges is to break at least one wall completely.

The problem Is that you start under range of archers. I guess they did because otherwise you would order your troops to stay behind and after you snipe the few archers around the gate you chop main gate....It requires times but you can do without ram.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
>fucking Paradox MANA(aka influence)
the worst paradox mechanic(outside of selling overpriced DLC and shitty Clausewitz engine)
No. It's a reasonable abstraction that largely makes sense excepting some quirks. It represents your inherent influence as a lord of the realm combined with the respect of your fellow nobles for doing actions that benefit the realm. It's only used to influence kingdom decisions, like it says on the tin. Unlike Paradox mana which represents fuck all besides a counter and used on a myriad of unrelated things.
>relationships are clan based(instead of personal one)
So?
>cavalry nerfed to the ground
>infantry being shit
>spears being shit
No.
>archers OP(combined with no shield for most troops, shitty armor and archers Aimbot skills)
>no passive experience training(and that with shitty auto calc mean manually fighting every band of looters just to level your tier one recruits)
>shitty(i like the idea to be honest) leveling system(but its done in fucking terrible way)
Mods fix it™

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
By the time you got to the 'I need influence' stage, you can probably just earn it quickly by donating troop/prisoners to the allied garrison.
It's not that hard. And the influence cost to gather a massive army isn't that big TBH. Remember: you can have your companion lead the party as well and invite them to your army for free. So try to hit Clan Lv 3 and setup those extra parties.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Remember: you can have your companion lead the party as well and invite them to your army for free. So try to hit Clan Lv 3 and setup those extra parties.

The longest playthrough I had was as a vassal of Southern Empire, and by the end I could deploy an army of around 500 troops just using parties from my clan. 200 troops in my main party + 3 companion parties of 100 troops each, all for zero influence cost. I think this was as a tier 5 clan.

I don't recommend rolling like this all the time, though. It's slow-moving and eats up a lot of food. I also don't recommend allowing your companions to lead parties outside of your direct control. They will inevitably blunder into some idiotic situation and get their party destroyed, which is not acceptable considering I had to train their troops myself and the time investment that requires.

The key is, once you own a fief you can form and disband your clan army at will. Under normal circumstances, keep your companions in your party (or leave them at your fief) and store their troops in the garrison. When you're ready to roll out in force, just pull troops from the garrison, spin up your companion parties, then form your army. Once you're done, return to your fief, disband the army, then disband each party. Your companions should immediately enter the fief, deposit their troops in the garrison, and go to the lord's hall to wait for retrieval.

Make sure you save before disbanding parties, because I've had issues with companions disappearing.

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
They will inevitably blunder into some idiotic situation and get their party destroyed, which is not acceptable considering I had to train their troops myself and the time investment that requires.
Almost all my current companions are running caravans for me while I figure out getting my own fief. In the meantime, I'll let the money flow in.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I usually just let my companions roam around, recruit by themselves and do their own thing. When I need an army I just call whatever lords are available and closest. Once you get a few fiefs and the kingdom decisions that give influence per castle and per notable you have enough passive influence income to never worry about it again, never mind income from battles. They should definitely nerf/remove them since they break the system.

Micromanaging the parties like you is too much busywork for my taste. And to assemble this army you have to go to your fief/s wherever they may be and then go back to wherever you need it, by which point it may be too late. By summoning your parties/random lords to you you can stay active in the field near the target until they arrive. Usually when I go to capture a target I first range around by myself and hunt down enemy lords in the area. When I feel the coast is clear I raise an army, siege, disband it and move on.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I usually just let my companions roam around, recruit by themselves and do their own thing. When I need an army I just call whatever lords are available and closest. Once you get a few fiefs and the kingdom decisions that give influence per castle and per notable you have enough passive influence income to never worry about it again, never mind income from battles. They should definitely nerf/remove them since they break the system.

Micromanaging the parties like you is too much busywork for my taste. And to assemble this army you have to go to your fief/s wherever they may be and then go back to wherever you need it, by which point it may be too late. By summoning your parties/random lords to you you can stay active in the field near the target until they arrive. Usually when I go to capture a target I first range around by myself and hunt down enemy lords in the area. When I feel the coast is clear I raise an army, siege, disband it and move on.
You should always have one of your companion armies with you, it costs no influence and it raises your Leadership skill just by leading an army all the time.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I did it at first but now it's high enough. I don't want another party slowing me down all the time. I'm happy with my ~250 sized party - it's deadly enough to smash any single lord and most small armies but still fast enough to catch them, having a large portion of cavalry and spare horses for everyone.

RK47

Patron
The problem is more like a lack of influence sinks. It's easier to gain influence, than spending it.

You can always burn influence to troll your kingdom's city owners with revoting of ownership rights.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can get old work horses for exactly 1 denar from villagers that are returning from a city. You can then slaughter the horses into tons of meat that goes for 20+ denars. :lol:

Zariusz

Arbiter

RK47

Patron
I'm earning a lot more coin now from the 3 party army setup.
Turns out with 3 clan parties combined, we get more prisoners ransomed and loot sold as well.
It's way better than running caravans to be sure.

I just dump all the max EXP troops to the garrison to save on cost until I need them and keep going after those forest bandits/sea raiders when I need more men. With a little luck, they surrender and join without a fight.
I almost stopped trading altogether now, it's more efficient to battle for profit now at mid to late game. And the longer you leave enemy nobles alone, the better their army gets. So it's best to crush them frequently.

The most memorable fight was probably jumping into a Battanian Army of 200 vs Empire's 600.
I got a 200-strong army and we ended up with a net increase in army strength from the rescued Battanian prisoners. Had to let a lot of prisoners and recruits go afterward.

RK47

Patron
Yeah, that's how I play my manual battles. I split my 100 man group into individual groups of 1 and set them against the enemy's choice. One at a time.
With higher tactics, my results improve.

:troll:

Anyway, my current run proves conclusively that setting up a multi-party army beats having individual caravans running around the map.

unknown.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom