Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Wystan

Barely Literate
p8Q8q4s.jpg

Hashimon Ögurei
I picked the Banner because I wanted my horde to look like zerg swarm from afar. My Units.

Hellion

Arcane
The Text Parser is making a comeback.

It has "RPG Games" in the title so you know it's good.

copebot

Learned
Downloaded 1.1 beta after a long absence from the game. I put in most of my ~100 hours during the initial release, so it's been a while. Performance seems to be improved, but I can't really tell if it's just going from a 2080 / overclocked 7700K to a 3080 Ti and a 10900K. Seems like there are a lot more little quests in the game. Being able to skip the campaign stuff with "Sandbox" mode is good. It seems like they redid all of the perks in the game. The AI seems to be different, as well. It used to be a lot easier to juke archers and other ranged weapons. Playing on all "Realistic" plus ironman etc. is a lot tougher than I remember it being, at least while using a two-hander.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Downloaded 1.1 beta after a long absence from the game. I put in most of my ~100 hours during the initial release, so it's been a while. Performance seems to be improved, but I can't really tell if it's just going from a 2080 / overclocked 7700K to a 3080 Ti and a 10900K. Seems like there are a lot more little quests in the game. Being able to skip the campaign stuff with "Sandbox" mode is good. It seems like they redid all of the perks in the game. The AI seems to be different, as well. It used to be a lot easier to juke archers and other ranged weapons. Playing on all "Realistic" plus ironman etc. is a lot tougher than I remember it being, at least while using a two-hander.
Performance was massively improved during beta. I always wonder how it manages to run so well on my old PC with 960

Zanzoken

Arcane
Question for the group...

Let's say you felt so disgusted by the abject failure that is Bannerlord, that you decided to say fuck it and make your own Mount & Blade style game. What type of features would you include to differentiate your game from M&B, so that it doesn't come off as a low-budget clone?

Assume that at a minimum, you will be aiming for good combat, and prioritizing the game's simulation aspects so that the AI is competent instead of blatantly retarded, and the world feels believable instead of shallow and superficial.

What else would you try for? Here are a few I thought of.

- Design systems that allow you to expand your power by means other than just battle. Maybe you are great with money and can buy your way to the top. Or a schemer who attacks your rivals with propaganda, assassination, fraud, etc. Or a charismatic cult leader type who gets people to believe you are a messiah. Etc etc etc.

- Add castlebuilding and other cool features that Bannerlord doesn't have.

- Choose a setting that's different than M&B's faux-medieval one. This could draw on other real-life cultures, or even be a fantasy world with other races.

- Pick an art style that's more stylized and abstract compared to M&B's simulationist aesthetic.

- Add magic so that some characters can throw fireballs and stuff.

- Create different origin stories that affect who your allies and enemies are when you start the game.

- Create an end state goal that depends on fighting off an invasion. You aren't just trying to unify the kingdom so you can rule it -- someone has to pull everyone together or you'll all be killed.

Not saying any of these ideas are good or bad... they're just ideas. Thoughts?

thesecret1

Arcane
I'd add actual borders between nations and make the countryside a thing, rather than have lone villages isolated by wasteland, which you could improve if it's part of your holdings. Might be mostly cosmetic, but it always bugged me

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter

Let's say you felt so disgusted by the abject failure that is Bannerlord, that you decided to say fuck it and make your own Mount & Blade style game. What type of features would you include to differentiate your game from M&B, so that it doesn't come off as a low-budget clone?

Assume that at a minimum, you will be aiming for good combat, and prioritizing the game's simulation aspects so that the AI is competent instead of blatantly retarded, and the world feels believable instead of shallow and superficial.

- Design systems that allow you to expand your power by means other than just battle. Maybe you are great with money and can buy your way to the top. Or a schemer who attacks your rivals with propaganda, assassination, fraud, etc. Or a charismatic cult leader type who gets people to believe you are a messiah. Etc etc etc.

- Choose a setting that's different than M&B's faux-medieval one. This could draw on other real-life cultures, or even be a fantasy world with other races.

- Pick an art style that's more stylized and abstract compared to M&B's simulationist aesthetic.

- Create different origin stories that affect who your allies and enemies are when you start the game.

- Create an end state goal that depends on fighting off an invasion. You aren't just trying to unify the kingdom so you can rule it -- someone has to pull everyone together or you'll all be killed.

It would look like this fucking game I've been helping Olafson at FSE develop because he's a great guy and Im a uselsss John Romero that spergs ideas like ChatGP shit at him

Zanzoken

Arcane
I'd add actual borders between nations and make the countryside a thing, rather than have lone villages isolated by wasteland, which you could improve if it's part of your holdings. Might be mostly cosmetic, but it always bugged me

That's a great idea.

One of my favorite games as a kid, which I still think holds up well today, is Lords of the Realm 2.

The goal is similar to M&B i.e. conquer the kingdom. The world is divided up into counties, and each county has a town that you interact with to control (or attack) the county. It's considered an act of hostility to cross the border into a county that isn't yours, and the AI will react accordingly.

The economy and management stuff in this game strikes a really good balance imo. It isn't super hard or time-consuming, but you have to do it properly and it does lend itself to a bit of strategizing between battles.

In medieval times the borders were not a line crossing across the land like today. When certain province ends was often more of an informal consensus than a clear line. Also small border skirmishes were commonplace even in the times of peace.

You should add village building and economy management. I want to set up new villages and build roads inbetween.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tzarevgrad Tarnov is famously two forts on two adjacent hills on the two sides of a river: one for the nobility, one for the clergy.
Should have another thingy on the other side of the river, is what I'm saying. But its very cool to have unique map models for relevant cities.

ArchAngel

Arcane
In medieval times the borders were not a line crossing across the land like today. When certain province ends was often more of an informal consensus than a clear line. Also small border skirmishes were commonplace even in the times of peace.

You should add village building and economy management. I want to set up new villages and build roads inbetween.
Also raised villages should have a chance of stop existing and you need to make a new one.

Also the crazy amount of recruits in short times need to go. The grind in M&B is crazy due to how humans reproduce and train like some mutant rabbits.

Last edited:

Also raised villages should have a chance of stop existing and you need to make a new ones.

Also the crazy amount of recruits in short times need to go. The grind in M&B is crazy due to how humans reproduce and train like some mutant rabbits.
Heh that's also a way you can take the game. " O powerful knight-sama, filthy Swabians had razed our village, only you can help to repopulate it!"

Victor1234

Educated

You could always set it in a different time period.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/773951/Freeman_Guerrilla_Warfare/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1860510/Total_Conflict_Resistance/

Victor1234

Educated
Hard to say if it'll even get made in the end, but I think their strategy layer looks more WARNO/Eugen Systems wargame inspired, personally. I think the M&B comparisons come from stuff like this:

98c360eadf2006d255b4bb348906ef0e0e3386d5.jpg

Freeman is very much going for "M&B but modern day" (or it was, until the devs milked it dry, ran away and now came back years later when they need money again) and Total Conflict Resistance is trying to be Freeman, so it would follow that they are trying to be somewhat like M&B too.

Golubichi communism :argh:

Zanzoken

Arcane

What do you think the purpose of a village should be in-game? I think they should be a source of:
(a) money
(b) resources (i.e. food, wood, iron, etc) and
(c) conscripts for the army

My thought is that instead of it just being a free-for-all where anyone can recruit soldiers from anywhere, the ability to conscript troops from a fief should be the sole right of that fief's owner. So the army would be structured like this.

luBjP5d.png

The difference being that the levies actually outnumber the warriors by a dozen-to-one or whatever. So once you become a vassal, you immediately feel a huge increase in your power, because you now have access to hundreds more troops.

Make a game that focuses heavily on logistics, like Cesar campaigns. Let the player win by building many kilometers long walls across the battlefield. See that walled city? Build a wall around it, so the defenders can't sally out at night. Then build a wall around yourself, so none can attack you when you besiege the enemy.

You could rather than have solders know you commands telepathically have couriers you send across the battlefield.

What do you think the purpose of a village should be in-game? I think they should be a source of:
(a) money
(b) resources (i.e. food, wood, iron, etc) and
(c) conscripts for the army

My thought is that instead of it just being a free-for-all where anyone can recruit soldiers from anywhere, the ability to conscript troops from a fief should be the sole right of that fief's owner. So the army would be structured like this.

luBjP5d.png

The difference being that the levies actually outnumber the warriors by a dozen-to-one or whatever. So once you become a vassal, you immediately feel a huge increase in your power, because you now have access to hundreds more troops.
I believe that developing the village and seeing it's AI people do little AI people things is a reward in itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom