Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron

Zariusz

Arbiter
I checked and he is also the same guy who added buildable village castles.

Ok, thats the last thing that i expected, procedural wall climbing? In butterlord?

Last edited:

U-8D8

Savant
I've seen that guys stuff before but I'm more annoyed than impressed by him. He did an impressive gladiator mod but abandoned it a few versions back, which wouldn't be a problem if he allowed people to update the damn thing. The way modders autistically hold onto the permissions of their mods is to no one's benefit other than the modder's own ego.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Someone ping me in this thread when the game is finally out of early access and there are sufficient mods to flesh out the depth of kingdom management.

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I came back to the game after a while because I wanted to try out the smiting system, made literal tons of gold with that and now I am having lots of fun.

Only real problems I ran into were the game crashing when trying to interact with a village while it was being raided and troops getting a little stuck during large sieges.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I came back to the game after a while because I wanted to try out the smiting system, made literal tons of gold with that and now I am having lots of fun.

Only real problems I ran into were the game crashing when trying to interact with a village while it was being raided and troops getting a little stuck during large sieges.

You found the one exploit that makes the game bearable.

Akachi

Educated
The last time I played this was at least a year ago. Launched it up recently only to find out they still haven't done even a smidgen of balancing on equipment, which obviously effects everything else involving battles. Why does a bear pelt give more armour than actual armour, i.e. lamellar or mail? The lack of polish on this game is astounding - guess the rumors Taleworlds was just trying to pump it out before they move on to work on their new scifi game might be true. Mods like Diplomacy aren't being updated for the latest beta, 1.7.2, and whether they work or not on 1.7.1 is often left up to Nexus comments to try to determine.

Playing Bannerlord just makes me want to go back to playing modded M&B Warband: Viking Conquest, which still seems to be the definitive M&B experience with more features, polish, and depth than Bannerlord.

vmar

Savant
My biggest fear with this game is that modders are gonna get tired of devs constantly breaking mods with their spaghetti code patches, causing modders to abandon their work, which is already happening to an extent. This game has it's issues but I've been coming back to it every few months since the EA dropped and I always enjoy myself.

thesecret1

Arcane
This game has it's issues but I've been coming back to it every few months since the EA dropped and I always enjoy myself.
The combat's great, just needs balancing. But pretty much everything non-combat is a clear step-down from Warband (and warband was pretty shit with it in the first place!), however, which to me is really mind-boggling, because the overworld part is the EASY part of the game. Most of it only requires some scripting (as proven by modders already porting entire features from Warband)

puur prutswerk

Magister
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

You found the one exploit that makes the game bearable.
By bearable I assume that there are no other actually viable sources of income in the game? I can have a few workshops and a few caravans, but how will I pay for garrison wages? I need muh Cataphracts and that's a catafact.

MichaelB

Literate

Noice, i see that Butterlord modding is advancing properly.

I'm continuously surprised by the amount of work people are willing to put for free into essentially promoting someone else's commercial game; especially with the recent proliferation of accessible game engines and tools. The only mods I've made or would consider making are 1)small, personal tweaks and 2)overhauls based on copyrighted properties, so basically things I could not build my own project around anyway; so a LotR mod, or a Firefly mod; whenever I'm so attached to specific characters or lore that I'm just unwilling to settle for a similar, derivative setting.

I would hesitate calling said part of modding 'exploitative', but I feel like there's some level of naivety one has to have to contribute to such projects, in a sense that, for the company that's made the game you're modding, you're not only a kind of an unpaid promoter, but a rather specific, how to put it, accidental 'black-ops operative'. Let me explain: TaleWorlds could never make an ASoIaF licensed game, or a LotR game, etc., certainly not without additional costs; meanwhile, realistically speaking, there are people who are going to buy Bannerlord on a premise that eventually, someone insignificant enough to get sued by the owners of those properties, is going to put a massive amount of work into creating a Bannerlord module based on them. And this was pretty clear, with, say, Kingdoms of Ardra being announced even before the release of EA version of Bannerlord. And the actual devs dont even lift a finger(beyond releasing the tools that is); the work just gets done.

I obviously respect any kind of drive to create something elaborate and time consuming simply out of passion or enjoyment. That said it seems unproductive and sketchy sometimes.

vmar

Savant
Even if you don't abuse smithing it's very easy to amass millions just by fighting wars. Typically in early game I'll do the trading thing for awhile and supplement that income with some quests and selling prisoners, that's enough to get you started and you'll be racking up gold in no time at all. You can start buying and selling trade goods from day 1 and easily make thousands and thousands of gold before you even do anything else. It's worth getting trade to 25 for the first perk that marks anything you can sell for profit with green numbers, that way you don't even have to think about it, if you see green, sell. You can still smith without abusing any exploits to make decent profit as well. Once you've chosen a faction to side with just get your workshops set up and start rolling over enemy armies, you'll have more gold than you know what to do with if you just play organically. I never really bother with caravans since they seem to just get destroyed the second a war breaks out, but I've heard letting a companion with decent tactics/scouting skill can help mitigate this. But for me it always gets to a point where I have so much spare cash that I couldn't give less of a shit about losing a workshop or caravan. Winning larger battles can easily get you 50k+ worth of loot to sell.

In my current game I wanted to try a mostly cav army, and I'm running around with like 70 cataphracts and 600k gold saved up and I haven't used any exploits, just playing the game normally. So even if I somehow lose all my fiefs I've got more than enough of a safety net to not have to worry about anything. It's basically impossible to not get rich unless you just lose every battle.

That said, sometimes it's more enjoyable to just craft a few 2h swords and start going to war, if you want to skip all the bullshit and just start conquering the heathens.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm continuously surprised by the amount of work people are willing to put for free into essentially promoting someone else's commercial game; especially with the recent proliferation of accessible game engines and tools. The only mods I've made or would consider making are 1)small, personal tweaks and 2)overhauls based on copyrighted properties, so basically things I could not build my own project around anyway; so a LotR mod, or a Firefly mod; whenever I'm so attached to specific characters or lore that I'm just unwilling to settle for a similar, derivative setting.

I would hesitate calling said part of modding 'exploitative', but I feel like there's some level of naivety one has to have to contribute to such projects, in a sense that, for the company that's made the game you're modding, you're not only a kind of an unpaid promoter, but a rather specific, how to put it, accidental 'black-ops operative'. Let me explain: TaleWorlds could never make an ASoIaF licensed game, or a LotR game, etc., certainly not without additional costs; meanwhile, realistically speaking, there are people who are going to buy Bannerlord on a premise that eventually, someone insignificant enough to get sued by the owners of those properties, is going to put a massive amount of work into creating a Bannerlord module based on them. And this was pretty clear, with, say, Kingdoms of Ardra being announced even before the release of EA version of Bannerlord. And the actual devs dont even lift a finger(beyond releasing the tools that is); the work just gets done.

I obviously respect any kind of drive to create something elaborate and time consuming simply out of passion or enjoyment. That said it seems unproductive and sketchy sometimes.
They aren't doing it to promote someone else's commercial game, they're doing it to see their idea made into reality (and to get a nice ego boost in the process from all the fans of their work). Just like TaleWorlds wouldn't be able to get a LotR license, these guys wouldn't be able to make an actual, full game on their own. The game gives them a platform on which to realize their dream of playing Mountain Blade reskinned into LotR or whatever, where they get to be as autistic as they want. Hell, there's that one mod for CK2 for Japan during the warring states period, that tries to trace the lineage of EVERY goddamn samurai of those times, and of his ancestors, becoming probably the most comprehensive work of genealogy for the period in the world (it has tens of thousands of entries...) – that's some advanced autism that you know would never be humored in a commercially made work.

Modders and devs have a symbiotic relationship – modders get the platform and tools to make their ideas a reality, and devs get free content that sells their game. It's a win-win for everyone.

Funposter

Arcane
You're also dismissing the potential for modding to be used as a springboard into game dev, which is a well-documented practice. Not just in terms of game design or whatever, but also the people creating art assets such as 3D models and textures, scoring music or creating sound effects and even writing when it comes to creating quest mods for something like Skyrim.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You're also dismissing the potential for modding to be used as a springboard into game dev, which is a well-documented practice. Not just in terms of game design or whatever, but also the people creating art assets such as 3D models and textures, scoring music or creating sound effects and even writing when it comes to creating quest mods for something like Skyrim.
Indeed, the publisher Hooded Horse started with modding MnB: Warband iirc.

thesecret1

Arcane
It also gives you something for your portfolio, yeah. In my experience of working in IT, unless you're trying to get hired by a big corp, your portfolio matters hell of a lot more than having a degree or whatever. If you're newcomer to the industry and just send your CV, the first thing they're gonna ask you at the interview will be "So, what can you do? And can you show it to us?". Ideally, you'd send a showcase from your portfolio together with your CV, and assets you made for a game mod certainly qualify. In fact, if you're going for a job in game dev, they're probably the best thing you could possibly send, as it means you can not only model shit, but are also used to working with programmers who have certain requirements of you (usually with sockets on the model) for them to be able to actually put it into the game.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
How does any of this help actually finish the game though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom