Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: The Fallen Lords on a modern PC

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by index.php, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    I managed to do it by using compatibility settings and after applying latest patch it seems to work fine.

But on my current win10 machine it looked like this:

1. Whenever I tried .iso it would give me "this file is damaged" prompt and not even open/mount (installed Soulblighter from an .iso and it went butter smooth).
    2. When I tried .bin then setup would either not run or give me an error message (don't remember what) about 20% in and close.

Didn't have the chance to test on win7 laptop but whatever, it works now.

^ Top  
  2. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    That's really strange. Maybe it has to do with the virtual cd drive software? I'm using Virtual CloneDrive. Anyway, glad to hear it works now.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Awesome thread, thanks. I have so many memories of Myth, it's one of my favourite games ever, bought it on release in 1997.

I'm trying to play the TFL levels with the new engine, but I'm getting a crash (black screen) when I finish the first mission. It generates a crash log (Myth Crashed: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION). I've tried all rendering modes (including software) and it's the same result. Did anyone encounter the same problem?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • No No x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I have only the fondest memories of this game. I still remember that long summer evening twenty-three years ago when I, after many crushing defeats, finally triumphed at the shores of the River Gjol. In my memory it's as if I was there, kneedeep in the mud.

Strange. Does the same thing happen if you use the cheat to end the mission (press alt, ctrl and + together)?

edit: What patch did you use for Myth 2? The latest community patch?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Yes, I'm using 1.8.3, the latest patch. I've isolated the issue to one of my plugins, as using nothing but the TFL plugin works just fine when finishing the mission. I've used the guide on the first page of this thread, so the mods are: HD terrain mod, HD sprites (MythHD total conversion 1.32), and TFL interface. I'll try adding one of them at a time and see where the problem lies.

^ Top  
  6. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Great Deceiver Who needs these fancy HD plugins? I like my Myth lowres and gritty. ;)
    I tried them myself but it somehow changes the soul of the game, at least for me. That's why I still play the original TFL in its purest form. :)

edit: There is also the Detail Texture Megapack which just updates the environment textures.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    I'm also a purist and generally avoid these detail texture/hd packs (I actually prefer the low-res sprites compared to the remade ones), but as it's been over 20 years since I've played, I wanted to see what they've managed to do. It makes me very happy that this amazing game still has a fanbase and is still being actively supported by people who love it. It's such a shame that it has been forgotten (or perhaps not; it would certainly have been trivialized by now).

Also, it turns out the problem wasn't with any of the plugins - it was the OpenAL .dll that was giving me issues. All sorted now. Cheers!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Yes, it's great there still is a fanbase. It's not as active as it once was, but it's still here. The game still is rather unique in what it delivers, I never found anything like it. But thankfully there are many fantastic modifications, total conversions and campaigns.
    I'm glad you've found the problem. Good luck out there, and keep an extra eye on these dwarves! ;)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Was scratching my head for a bit regarding the TFL cutscenes in Myth 2 - I was getting the briefing cutscenes but not the little animations like the soldiers at the bridge with the Fallen underwater, etc., even though I had downloaded the Quicktime files and placed them in the appropriate directory. Turns out you need to have some sort of QT plugin installed, I used QT Lite.

Now everything is working flawlessly. I'm getting some strange video stutter but it's a very minor issue. I'm looking forward to finishing TFL again and basking in nostalgia. Also despairing because games like these will never get made again.

edit: the video stutter was fixed by enforcing a 60fps cap with Rivatuner Statistics Server.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I just decided to give TFL (patched to 1.3 and with nglide) my yearly run. My goal is - as every year - to finally achieve a playthrough on Legendary with zero casualties. I almost managed it last time, except for in "The Watcher".
    By the way, one tiny visual detail I always liked in this game: There are right- and left-handed warriors. It has no gameplay value and is achieved by simply mirror the units, but it adds to theoverall atmosphere for me.

• Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    Don't remember it that much really - you're sure that their weapon hand doesn't change when you switch view, so the sprites are mirrored?

^ Top  
  12. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I just checked it, the weaponhand doesn't change:
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. gerey Arcane Zionist Agent

gerey
    • decline decline x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Oni was also unfinished. It was handed off to Take2 during the Microsoft takeover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    I tried no casualties run, but I'm not gud enough and it ended already in Bagrada. The trow always insisted on attacking with thrall and soulless and best I could do was letting him kick 2 warriors. It feels really good, getting back to this game.

^ Top  
  16. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    Yeah, Bagrada is the first difficult one for no casulties. I needed many tries to get it right. I used all charges on one spot and tried to lure the big guy in it. It's a matter of absolute precision and took many many reloads but it hits him hard if done right. After that the berserks did the rest.

^ Top  
  17. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Nah, Nordic Warriors doesn't hold a candle to Myth. It's not even in the same ballpark. Making great games is truly a lost craft.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Can we get a second opinion on this? For chrissakes just look at the gameplay and the book mission intros/outros.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Lagi Savant

Lagi
    "we" - ducking jerkoff circle of hive mind drones.

^ Top  
  20. Ludwig von Eisenthal Arbiter

Ludwig von Eisenthal
    I don't know about this Nordic Warriors. Gameplay looks similar, sure. But I immediately miss the gritty, grainy, dirty, rough aesthetics of Myth 1 and 2 here. It looks a bit like Myth 3 - in other words: Too clean, too plastic-like, units seem to float over the surface, explosions and gore effects look unnatural. There is a grim satisfaction in watching a dozen of thrall bodies being shred to bloody pieces by exploding dwarf charges and their limbs and entrails flying in all directions, leaving stains of blood everywhere in the original Myth, something I can't see here at all.

^ Top  
  21. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Expecting someone to recreate the atmosphere and overall gameplay feel of Myth 1-2 today is a dictionary definition of fabulously optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    I tried to watch this but like 10 minutes in and he's still blowing up his own troops, letting enemies come into melee against his archers. I had to close it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.