Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: The Fallen Lords on a modern PC

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Myth is fucking amazing and this Magma thing does exactly what it promises, all the way to replicating the physics of the "grenades" from the first game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
just play first (4?) mission of myth2. Nordic Warriors does not have a start to Myth. NW writing is cringy AF, while Im genuine interested in the peripeteia of Cruniac and his fellow.
the game works/load instantly and dont burden my office device at all. controls are little better in NW, but the unit concepts, sounds (arrows), explosion, gore, even HP bars (less intrusive) are better in Myth.
Bungie wasn't exactly an indie studio with shoestring budget.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Myth 2 is the Best RTS ever and it's abandonware now. There's an HD overhaul and detail texture mod that fixes graphics completely as well like OP indicates. No excuse not to check it out.

It's not a RTS at all, it's a real time tactical game and from what I remember nothing special in that regard.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Fuck this game is better than anything ever.

Still remember the first time I played this shit at some family christmas party, some cousin of mine living at my grandma's house as he attended university brought me over and set me up with mission 1 MythTFl while the rest of the extended family did their holiday mingling.

Casualty. Casualties.

So good.

jac8awol

Arbiter
I found it JRPG-like in the way that the themes of despair and absolution tugged on my heart strings and very nearly made me gay. Gotta rewatch those pre-stage journal entries on youtube every few years to remind myself of how epic those games were.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Seems like there was a Myth-like clone released without broader public marketing:

Clone in the design/mechanics sense, not the atmosphere. I expect it to be rather soulless (so to speak) and bland, but the reviews are very positive.

I bought Nordic Warriors in the Winter Sale. I was having fun with it until I experienced a game-breaking bug in the 6th or 7th mission. The game crashes every single time at a specific moment and neither restarting the mission nor loading a save from the previous mission could solve the issue. Uninstalling now :(

Beowulf

Arcane
Seems like there was a Myth-like clone released without broader public marketing:

Clone in the design/mechanics sense, not the atmosphere. I expect it to be rather soulless (so to speak) and bland, but the reviews are very positive.

I bought Nordic Warriors in the Winter Sale. I was having fun with it until I experienced a game-breaking bug in the 6th or 7th mission. The game crashes every single time at a specific moment and neither restarting the mission nor loading a save from the previous mission could solve the issue. Uninstalling now :(

Did you try writing to the devs or creating a thread on the stem forums? They seemed to be active there.

Myth 2 is a fantastic game. In fact both Myth games (I don't count part 3) are fantastic and belong to the very few games I can't get enough and play them again and again. And there are indeed many great mods for Myth 2. My favourite still is The Seventh God, an 18-mission long standalone campaign with its own story, new units and some of the greatest maps I ever played on. Wonderful game, exactly what Myth 3 should have been in terms of quality.

edit: And I remember another one I immensely enjoyed. I don't remember the name but it was a mini-campaign (3 missions I think) where you could play these weird Bre'Unor and murder fir'Bolg.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
Myth 2 is a fantastic game. In fact both Myth games (I don't count part 3) are fantastic and belong to the very few games I can't get enough and play them again and again. And there are indeed many great mods for Myth 2. My favourite still is The Seventh God, an 18-mission long standalone campaign with its own story, new units and some of the greatest maps I ever played on. Wonderful game, exactly what Myth 3 should have been in terms of quality.

edit: And I remember another one I immensely enjoyed. I don't remember the name but it was a mini-campaign (3 missions I think) where you could play these weird Bre'Unor and murder fir'Bolg.

I second the recommendation for The Seventh God.
Chimera is also very well made, but in terms of gameplay it's just more of the same - fight against seemingly endless tides of the undead.

There were also some decent conversions where you played as the bandits or mages, or even green berets in vietnam (although the last one would be best for MP), but I can't really remember the names, as my times binging on Myth are long gone. Just browse the repository from the link above and pick the most popular - you shouldn't be disappointed.

Hell, just going again to the Tain makes me want to replay this gem of a game.

EDIT: Jinn - that's another one I remember fondly. Decent single player sci-fi conversion

Myth is fucking amazing and this Magma thing does exactly what it promises, all the way to replicating the physics of the "grenades" from the first game.
I'm not so sure about the grenades thing. I played the original Myth dozens of times and the Fallen Levels at least half a dozen times but I always thought that the extremely suicidal tendency of dwarves wasn't the same in the Fallen Levels. And their Molotovs seemed to hit their targets with much more precision and there weren't as many duds as in the original game. And what I always dearly missed: The shaking effect of explosions of the original game.
It's a great mod and a tremendous achievement of the community, but I still prefer playing the original game, patched to the official version 1.3. The community patch 1.5 for TFL somehow ruins the graphics (the 16bit dithering effects you get correctly with a glide wrapper on 1.3 are degraded under OpenGL and Glide mode doesn't work anymore - at least for me).

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Could anyone maybe share a source of a legit and working Myth TFL .iso? Finding a perfectly working one for Soulblighter was easy, but all the TFL ones give "file is damaged" prompt.

Zboj Lamignat
I downloaded and unpacked the myabandonware version, installed the game. Everything worked for me.

edit: If you - or anybody else - intend to play the original game (and I recommend doing so if you have the possibility - the Fallen Levels are great but it's still not exactly the same experience) via glidewrapper (nglide is the obvious choice) you may need this launcher to bypass the memory check (Myth has the habit of not starting if the computer has more than 512 MB of Ram). As mentioned above, the 1.5 community patch decreases the graphical quality of the game significantly. I therefore strongly recommend patching the game to the official version 1.3 and use the 3Dfx-version. It's the most authentic way to enjoy this game.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yeah, I got all this info. The issue is I cannot install the game as either the setup won't run or it will but give me an error. Will need to fiddle with compatibility modes.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Still boggles my mind how Bungie went from making Myth I and II to shit like Oni and Halo.
It's not that mind boggling. Halo is just a bunch of elements of Myth and Marathon (mostly Marathon) repackaged into a console shooter.

Jinn

Arcane
It's not that mind boggling. Halo is just a bunch of elements of Myth and Marathon (mostly Marathon) repackaged into a console shooter.

True. I should have just said it's a damn shame, rather than mind boggling.

Yeah, I got all this info. The issue is I cannot install the game as either the setup won't run or it will but give me an error. Will need to fiddle with compatibility modes.
What error messages do you get? On Win 10 the installation worked for me. But I know the game has issues installing on some systems because it mistakes the OS for Windows NT, so Win 98 compatability should help.

Corvinus

Arcane
Still boggles my mind how Bungie went from making Myth I and II to shit like Oni and Halo.
Oni was good, wtf

I'd argue that Halo: Combat Evolved also was and is a good game. Lots of innovation there. The sequels, however, are a study in what happens when a small company gets bought and decisions are made by lizards in suits rather than by a small bunch of like-minded pioneers. The greatest games of our time were made by crews of less than ten people.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom