Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Name a well-loved or "classic" RPG that you've never played

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I was playing EQ on 9/11. Everywhere I looked I was seeing fireballs.

Don't actually remember the day (besides TV), but probably I was replaying Silver for tenth time. Or the Crusaders of Might and Magic (best Dark Souls game ever)

Now it is "whot u were playing on 9/11" thread!

barghwata

Savant
BG2, because i generally dislike RTWP combat and despise bioware's insultingly simplified writing, then again they might've had better writers back then.

Underrail, because games that feature non-stop TB combat kind of intimidate me, it feel so time and energy consuming, i'll get around to playing it eventually though.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All Ultimas, most M&M's and the first Baldur's Gate.
But it's not like I've played extensively all the games I've tried. I find dungeon crawlers in general pretty boring.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I haven't played the Star Wars games either. I think Star Wars has some cool things, but overall the whole Jedi = Good/Sith = Bad dichotomy is very boring to me.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I haven't played the Star Wars games either. I think Star Wars has some cool things, but overall the whole Jedi = Good/Sith = Bad dichotomy is very boring to me.

That always makes me wonder about kotor2, how does it possible to build deep and unusual and shit narrative in this kind of setting.

Saduj

Arcane
Any FPS “rpg” except Deus Ex, which I played when I was into FPSs.

Torment - rtwp, “what can change the nature of a man” never seemed like a mystery or anything that deep to me. Many things can, depending on the man.

Darklands- came out when I was busy approximating a normal young adult.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
“what can change the nature of a man” never seemed like a mystery or anything that deep to me. Many things can, depending on the man.

maybe this is the exact reacon why the game features this biggest set of dialogue options in RPG history?:obviously:

UB0v1qHuKlvMyvO1kD128P_D4Ud8t3fCFPtbqwjF4LU.png

Reinhardt

Arcane
KOTOR. Original movie trilogy was ok for first time i saw it, but everything else "star wars" is shit.

Saduj

Arcane
This is kind of off topic but in line with the OP’s original intent to get people to admit to game related embarrassment...

I played the original X-Com but never beat it because I didn’t realize that all I had to do in the final mission was shoot the brain. I wasn’t good about preserving my vets so I had a sub optimal squad that was largely decimated in the last mission. Tried to storm the control room with my final 2-3 guys and it never worked out. Only after I saw an LP here did I realize my mistake. At some point I had at least three soldiers huddled around that fucking brain.....

:stupid:

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
KotOR 2 (hate Star Wars), Fallout (don't ask), Arcanum (but I will try!), any Elder Scrolls or Witchers (3D CRPGs are heresy), Dark Souls (who the hell decided it is even the RPG?), Final Fantasy (fuck otaku), and also Vampires (bugged as hell, also vampires are cheesy)

What have you played?

To be serious, I registered on Codex because of Torment.
You will find the Torment is endless.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
KotOR 2 (hate Star Wars), Fallout (don't ask), Arcanum (but I will try!), any Elder Scrolls or Witchers (3D CRPGs are heresy), Dark Souls (who the hell decided it is even the RPG?), Final Fantasy (fuck otaku), and also Vampires (bugged as hell, also vampires are cheesy)

What have you played?

What can change the nature of a geek?

Reinhardt

Arcane

What have you played?

What can change the nature of a geek?
yes

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
BG2, because i generally dislike RTWP combat and despise bioware's insultingly simplified writing, then again they might've had better writers back then.

Underrail, because games that feature non-stop TB combat kind of intimidate me, it feel so time and energy consuming, i'll get around to playing it eventually though.
I think you should definitely play BG2 imo. The writing was better back then, and the combat was really good. Some trash fights with goblins but plenty of tactical battles that keep you thinking. And the rtwp is ok, you can generally just pause once at the start of most easy fights, queue up a fireball or two and watch it unfold. On tough fights its like turn based, you can (and probably need to) pause every 2 seconds and there is some good depth and strategy to what you are doing on each of those mini turns.

I think you should maybe avoid Underrail though. I'm playing it right now and trying my best to not rage quit, but there is just so fucking much wrong with it. The UI is too small, I loot all sorts of junk because even if I don't want to do nerdy crafting, I usually like to sell everything. But nobody will buy it, and the weight allowance is real, so I had to drop 50 items and there is no hotkey. So click, drag across the screen, repeat 50 times.... :argh: And every journey you make in the game is 100 miles long and in slow mo, and lots of loading screens. Even with SpeedHack it is a chore. Basically I really hate this game, but I am playing it because there are only about 4 turn based games on the planet and I love tactical fighting so I am hoping the high levels make it worth it... But basically, "so time and energy consuming" is what Underrail is all about.

barghwata

Savant
I think you should maybe avoid Underrail though. I'm playing it right now and trying my best to not rage quit, but there is just so fucking much wrong with it. The UI is too small, I loot all sorts of junk because even if I don't want to do nerdy crafting, I usually like to sell everything. But nobody will buy it, and the weight allowance is real, so I had to drop 50 items and there is no hotkey. So click, drag across the screen, repeat 50 times.... :argh: And every journey you make in the game is 100 miles long and in slow mo, and lots of loading screens. Even with SpeedHack it is a chore. Basically I really hate this game, but I am playing it because there are only about 4 turn based games on the planet and I love tactical fighting so I am hoping the high levels make it worth it... But basically, "so time and energy consuming" is what Underrail is all about.

Exactly what i had feared.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Basically I really hate this game, but I am playing it because there are only about 4 turn based games on the planet

Age of Decadence, Underrail, Age of Decadence and Age of Decadence.

Sorry, I can't stop joking, it is contagious here

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom