Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I've got the Founder's pack and an extra bag of holding. Besides that, I don't really think I'd buy anything from the store. Overpriced as hell and not much in the way of actually useful shit.

Anyhoo, ran some numbers regarding stats and their effects. It seems NW really does have an even stricter system of diminishing returns than CO. Going from 2000 Power to 3000 Power at the endgame will give you roughly 4-5% extra damage. Sheet numbers done using Chill Strike as a reference and using an epic weapon.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry, what's Chill Strike? Please just describe it, no links since I won't bother. Is this some online MMO stat spreadsheet/calculator thing?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, the Foundry is the most censored piece of garbage I've ever seen. I mean, yeah, I understand they don't want people to make filthy and obscene things in a PG-13 game, but filtering things like 'idiot'? Really? No wonder the entire game's plot reads like unbelievable, sanitized nonsense. They're literally not allowed to write dialogue in a believable way.
Try using either of the following two sentences:
"He was the greatest hero in all of Neverwinter."
"That sword costs 55 copper coins."
/trollface.jpg

Seriously, what's going on with the profanity system? I have seen it conjure up objective phrases that aren't even in blocks of dialogue. Like, I look at it word by word, nope, the quoted text is nowhere in there.
People who make those filters are probably just as strange as the people who absolutely want to use profanity filters.

Yea, and it doesn't work very well. When I did my quest, I stumbled on it. I didn't know what I wrote wrong. Then it showed me when I hovered my mouse over - "t .It's". The filter took it for TITS. Wtf? I had to change the sentence.

Zetor

Arcane
Wow, the Foundry is the most censored piece of garbage I've ever seen. I mean, yeah, I understand they don't want people to make filthy and obscene things in a PG-13 game, but filtering things like 'idiot'? Really? No wonder the entire game's plot reads like unbelievable, sanitized nonsense. They're literally not allowed to write dialogue in a believable way.
/trollface.jpg

Seriously, what's going on with the profanity system? I have seen it conjure up objective phrases that aren't even in blocks of dialogue. Like, I look at it word by word, nope, the quoted text is nowhere in there.
People who make those filters are probably just as strange as the people who absolutely want to use profanity filters.

Yea, and it doesn't work very well. When I did my quest, I stumbled on it. I didn't know what I wrote wrong. Then it showed me when I hovered my mouse over - "t .It's". The filter took it for TITS. Wtf? I had to change the sentence.
Yep, also see my two examples that are filtered because "hero in" is like "heroin" and "55" is similar-looking to "SS".

edit: btw, even if you do publish a quest, getting anyone to play it will be an... uphill battle.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well for Codexers it's easy to just post here. Isn't the requirement that like five people play it?

Also, tried out Devil's Poker and Dungeons of Carnage today. Decent stuff all in all, just too much combat. Personally I like the open air maps better with the Foundry, as those are generally pretty nice looking. It's also a bit of a shame everything seems to be set in the generic crypt/sewer layout design. Are the jungle dungeon graphics used in Pirates' Skyhold available yet?

EDIT: Also, why are all Foundry bosses using the giant attack types? Spellcaster boss presets are much cooler.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
/trollface.jpg

Yep, also see my two examples that are filtered because "hero in" is like "heroin" and "55" is similar-looking to "SS".

edit: btw, even if you do publish a quest, getting anyone to play it will be an... uphill battle.

That's why I asked my friends to play it. Now it's "live". :smug: You need to advertise.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sorry, what's Chill Strike? Please just describe it, no links since I won't bother. Is this some online MMO stat spreadsheet/calculator thing?
46LCZP4.gif

Zetor

Arcane

That's why I asked my friends to play it. Now it's "live". :smug: You need to advertise.
Yeh, I know how it works... but there's the factor of being noticed under the several million farming quests after you've already had your friends play/rate your quest.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't really mind it as such, but it's going to kill the game, like other PWE games that are dead 2 months after release.
I don't think I've ever seen this degree of jewery even in Korean MMOs.

Wild Slop

Arcane
I played some with the Foundry and made a small quest. Dunno if server matter, but you can have a go - "It started with a burglary", @Havoc988, ID: NW-DJOQ5M8WI

A feeble critique. (Revised some notes I made as I went through.)

It has unique way of having the narrating text through a ‘Dungeon Master’ character. I haven’t seen that before at least.
At first I thought it was a little unclear as to how merely seeing the presence of a shadowy figure through a window of a random home which isn’t the players was a clue to it being broke into, turns out I was just nitpicking.

I am awful in spelling and grammar, still if you don’t mind I'll point out a few mistakes:
Good. I like when the conversation is shor and to the point”. Let me show you on the map, where to go.
After you left the house…
The group you found we’re bandits.
After you* exit the woods

Whats this? C&C? ** Nice.

It was a long walk through a dark, moist corridor, but it paid of.

I like that nice little touch of the alter room in the caves.
In the spirit of testing out the kinks I hopped around on the rocks outside the cave in and ending up falling behind the rock wall stuck. :eek: it’s ok, I see there was a bit of a ramp there on the right side.

* Just thinking that something other than a 2nd use of "After you" might flow better. ?

** I know it's an MMO mission, but I liked the seeming choice of siding with random person I just met 1 or random person a met a little later. I wonder how more complex the foundry allows missions to get... and how different it would be if at all if I chose the other person.

Vaarna_Aarne

Highly doubtful I'd say, it'll just be like in Champions: A couple of boneheads get scammed out of their money for a marginal or non-existent benefit. Epic gear in itself is worthwhile to acquire though, as they provide a large variety of high stats (and yea, stats really do have most of their effect when you get to 1000-2000 range) and a set bonus. The procs? Pffft. Don't even notice mine.

subotaiy

Cipher
Give me a break, if paying every time i want a respec is not highway robbing p2w, them i dont know what is(and 270 000 AD are a lot of grind for such a trivial thing). In any case, I uninstalled this shit, i reached 40 and the repetitive content with lack of variation killed any interest. Too bad about the IP.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
** I know it's an MMO mission, but I liked the seeming choice of siding with random person I just met 1 or random person a met a little later. I wonder how more complex the foundry allows missions to get... and how different it would be if at all if I chose the other person.

It can get more complex. I'm working on the second part of the campaign, where your choices will have consequences. :smug:
Thanks for the input.

Vaarna_Aarne

Last time I checked, Coalescent Wards sell for some 300k AD on the Auction House. So once you've got the basic Enchantments (I'd say it's not worthwhile at all to go beyond the first stage of fusing them), you've got a weekly shot at a good deal of AD as well.

Zeriel

Arcane
Zetor

Is the animation list in the editor incomplete? Noticed there's no real sitting animations for furniture (that I can see) while there are plenty of NPCs sitting normally on chairs and whatnot in Cryptic's own maps.

Zetor

Arcane
Zetor

Is the animation list in the editor incomplete? Noticed there's no real sitting animations for furniture (that I can see) while there are plenty of NPCs sitting normally on chairs and whatnot in Cryptic's own maps.
Yep. There are quite a few things you can't do in the foundry... but overall I'd say it's "good for what it is".

What's bad about it is the entire search/browse/ratings system.

Zeriel

Arcane
Zetor

Yep. There are quite a few things you can't do in the foundry... but overall I'd say it's "good for what it is".

Lovely. What was that you were saying about them implementing boss fights in the future? Any links to where they said that specifically, or is it just "maybe five years from now" stuff? My biggest complaint with the Foundry system isn't the system itself so much as the fact it doesn't make a lot of sense within the framework of the rest of the game. Long, well-crafted foundry quests run counter to the player's self interest. No matter what the quest is, you get binary credit for the astral diamonds daily, and a garbage white item from a chest at the end. So of course players are encouraged to run the shortest, most simple quest possible, with the least exposition.

There can be no fascinating foundry quests because it's patently obvious to any but the most oblivious player that the system is hollow. The author has no control over anything but the window-dressing.

Zetor

Arcane
Zetor

Lovely. What was that you were saying about them implementing boss fights in the future? Any links to where they said that specifically, or is it just "maybe five years from now" stuff? My biggest complaint with the Foundry system isn't the system itself so much as the fact it doesn't make a lot of sense within the framework of the rest of the game. Long, well-crafted foundry quests run counter to the player's self interest. No matter what the quest is, you get binary credit for the astral diamonds daily, and a garbage white item from a chest at the end. So of course players are encouraged to run the shortest, most simple quest possible, with the least exposition.

There can be no fascinating foundry quests because it's patently obvious to any but the most oblivious player that the system is hollow. The author has no control over anything but the window-dressing.
They've been soliciting ideas about bosses in the foundry, so I'd say they're still in the requirements phase. Assuming a standard pipeline, that'd mean bosses in the foundry 3-4 months from now? Maybe.
Quote from here (badbotlimit / robobo is Rob Overmeyer, the executive producer of the foundry): http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...-release-foundry-wishes&p=2074381#post2074381
badbotlimit said:
Let's keep this discussion about bosses going...
What does bosses, bosses and bosses bosses mean to you?

Depending on what it means has a huge bearing on what it means to be implemented.
Does Bosses mean tough mobs, HP buckets, things only 5+ players can take on?
Does it mean something scary like, full scripting and custom everything?

Let me say that I like the idea of bosses but i like the defined version of bosses a lot more!
And here is a thread discussing this question (that the devs may or may not have read).

Zeriel

Arcane
I don't really care about bosses to be honest, but if they want foundry quests to be something people do outside of the daily, they badly need an ability for it to be "challenging", in a way the author designs, and rewarded as challenging content on par with their own released content. That's my only interest in bosses, really--that it suggests the capacity for authors to release content that is rewarding enough for players to want to do it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Zetor

Oh, I meant to say, I looked up your quest on the foundry. Played it through meaning to give a review, but when I completed it things seemed to glitch out, the review screen popped up for a millisecond then went away and didn't come back. Anyway, here's from memory, what I was going to write:

"Giving this 5 stars for both the writing (it's really nice to see dialogue that's not only well executed, but has more of a realistic flavor to it, which serves as a breath of fresh air compared to the staid stuff on the front page picks) and the ideas behind the end. That said, seconding what someone said earlier about the pacing. 95% of the area of the map could have been trimmed, lots of long hallways with nothing in them. This quest could be safely edited into a short five-minute vignette without cutting any actual content. I'm guessing the map was something of an experiment in design? Maybe the little details (like the weapon racks, et cetera) could have been made quest goals if you really wanted to highlight a sense of a sprawling sewer system. That said, the ending was really neat, and Planescape is awesome."

It also reminds me of some TV shows in that... there are episodes that are not bad but obviously are not meant to stand on their own. I feel that way about the quest. The hints of what are to come seem awesome. But without that pay-off (which will be fine when/if the campaign is complete and can be played through all at once) it lacks a certain sense of climax.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom