Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Zetor

Arcane
Oh yeah, definitely... cliffhanger endings are evil!

Anyway, like I said, it's far from my best work. Unfortunately, the way things are right now, I'm not sure part 2-4 will ever be finished. :/ The plot is written already, but I've been losing interest in the game pretty quickly. We'll see...

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I really wanted this to be a good game, the idea of an editor that is simpler to use precisely to get more authors making content instead of learning scripting languages is admirable, and definitely a niche that hasn't been filled in years, if not decades. But the fundamentals here are pretty flawed. Who knows, though. They changed some stuff I wasn't expecting them to change between beta patches, so maybe these guys are a little more open to fundamental change than, say, Blizzard.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The biggest downer is the class system. It isn't so much the fact that the iconic classes of D&D like Rangers, Druids, Bards, ... are missing. The problem is that all those classes are just shells for generic MMO classes with D&D'esque names slapped on top. Dual wielding melee rangers, two handed mace swinging clerics, 1000 arcane missile rogues, monks, brawlers... all that is not possible. Cryptic has to rework their class system from the ground up to make this game D&D but I doubt that will ever happen.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. They didn't even want to implement 4E's already-simplified MMO ruleset as-is. They are implementing class builds (i.e trickster rogues instead of just rogues, melee rangers vs. ranged rangers, great weapon fighter vs. guardian fighter) as full-fledged classes.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Spend 20 minutes looking for one last fucking stone tablet in an area where goddamn gnolls 1-2 levels above you spawn like crazy and you keep fighting 2-4 groups of monsters at the same time. Still fail to find it.

:rage:

FFS Cryptic.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
It seems to me that after level thirty you'll need a party even for normal quests, the free companion stops levelling(and being useful) at level fifteen. He's good only as a target for the enemies, that being said it seems to me that the optimal choice for a free companion is the tank(don't remember the exact name sorry).

Zeriel

Arcane
Weird, I've had the opposite experience. The ubiquity of potions, their short cooldown, and the fact you have nothing to spend gold on after your first mount has made the game trivial to me, even after 30.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The difficulty curve starts to climb up steadily at that point. It'll be a whole lot harder by the last levels, with a big jump between Rothe Valley and Mt Hotenow.

EDIT: Ran It Started With a Burglary just now. Gotta say, I really like using the Dungeon Master as a narrator like that, it was a nice touch. The dungeon section in the cave could have used a few traps (no even need to be that dangerous, just having them to avoid and spot is fun in itself). Since it's just trying out the Foundry, I'm not saying much about the length of it, but personally I think a Foundry quest has a sweet spot at around 30-45 minutes of length.

One minor nitpick that was mentioned already: The wizard guy says "expose of the bodies" instead of "dispose of the bodies", and several other typos and grammar mistakes happen later.

I'll say again, try out the From The Shadows campaign guys, it's pretty good stuff.

Gerrard

Arcane
Wow, the chance to fuse level 5 enchants is only 60%, down from 85%.
:keepmyjewgold:

Vaarna_Aarne

Luckily stats are mostly just e-peen after a certain point. Some stats are just e-peen (I'm looking at you Movement).

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Did the server just croak? Was halfway through a dungeon, how sucky.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
One minor nitpick that was mentioned already: The wizard guy says "expose of the bodies" instead of "dispose of the bodies", and several other typos and grammar mistakes happen later.

It seems that I was thinking about something else, when I wrote that line. :smug:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Again, thanks for the input. I appreciate any kind of critique of the things I make. I hope that someday I will design RPGs for a living. Anyone can dream, right?

About the second part of the campaign - it's called "Then it became friendly" and will be finished soon. I just need to write the dialogues.

Vaarna_Aarne

Also, remember to set a campfire at least at the start of every instance. I don't know, but I'd expect things to get screwy if you die and the respawn point is back at Protector's Enclave.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
I did not know that. No, wait. I knew that! Yes! It's all part of C&C. :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Anyway, some more on gearing and stuff:

PvP gear is Bind of Equip. This means that with a full team and only one guy without gear, we can dramatically speed up the gearing process for new lv 60 characters.

Another thing to note is that having run some numbers, it seems that you really shouldn't bother with enchantments and runes above R5. NW has some major limits on stat effects, especially compared to what your Feats will do, and at R5 the cost-to-benefit simply becomes completely untenable. The meat on your stats is built-in, the enchantments will round out some stats (and these must be feasible stats, Deflection for example has VERY small effect so you need attribute focus for it as well to have noticiable mitigation with it; Power is probably the stat you've got in such massive spades that you will have zero use for it) that your class gear doesn't. Most obviously to ascertain hitting 1000 Critical Strike value.

There's also one thing that I still have the jury out on: Whether or not NW uses Cryptic damage resistance formula or not. This is important because it might very well mean Defense of very questionable value. See, the Cryptic formula (as used by STO and CO) is NOT what it appears to be. Ie, 18% damage resistance doesn't mean you take 18% less damage. Rather, the Cryptic formula is built around 100% damage resistance being equal to halved damage. As you might guess, this would mean Armor Penetration is double worthless.

So bottomline is, the first and foremost thing for an effective character is having a good Feat set-up and good power selection for the present situation.

PS: The wizard's PvP set's 4/4 bonus appears to be borkered for now.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I was hoping to get to 60 today, the whole kitten thing sorta ruined that though.

Anyway, i've heard people are exploiting the foundry to grind levels ridiculously quickly, it we're gonna do it, i suggest we do it fast before it gets fixed (if it hasn't already)

/fizz, cuz DU's a faggot.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, I doubt Cryptic's in a hurry to fix the Foundry thing, since there's nothing except XP attached and it requires active effort to maintain a grinder (15+ minutes of average duration needed).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
new exploit is apparently involved in the giving unlikely thanks quest in pirate skyhold. so if anyone has it, hold on to it. if i'm reading it correctly you can share, then cash it in repeatedly.

catfood

AGAIN
So.

Is this game any good? Should I even bother with downloading and installing it? I don't care about PVP since I'm a PVE kind of guy, so would this do it for me?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So.

Is this game any good? Should I even bother with downloading and installing it? I don't care about PVP since I'm a PVE kind of guy, so would this do it for me?
Diablo with over the shoulder camera. Slide out of red circles all day. + Player created content.

Vaarna_Aarne

So.

Yea, it is good alright, and it does focus more on PvE than PvP, not to mention user-generated content ensures moar of it.

I hate to sound like a dweeb, but that sounds like a great way to get your account locked out.
Well, I'd say it's a lot less risk free than exploiting for Dilithium is nowadays, or how exploiting for Astral Diamonds will be. After all, XP gain doesn't involve the cashflow of the Chinese Overlords.

Vaarna_Aarne

That depends entirely on how... Energetic the Chinese Overlords' support staff is. But really, I doubt they give a rat's ass about XP exploits.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom