Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The game starts ramping up the difficulty around half-way through. For solo, the Winter Wolf alpha boss in Icespire Peak is the "no more mister nice game" mark for difficulty. The last Tiefling race mission boss is a Duergar who can hit for over 8k on a single basic attack.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Does your race actually have any significant effect on your class performance, or is it more aesthetic?

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
GWF has... uh... "evolved" into a twitch-fest for me. I'm going after all crit specs, 'cuz I likes seeing me some orange numbers (which were flying like crazy for me last night), but obv I'm having to sacrifice more survival-based powers, feats, and gear.

If you get into a rhythm of swing-swing-swing-dash, most boss-like enemies happily comply in that their big shot doesn't land. It's so blatantly telegraphed that it's a trivial matter of reliably dodging and is critical to the stockpiling of potions which I like having in reserve for true boss fights. Although it is easy to do, you still have to pay attention enough that playing the role is still satisfying.

Just thought I'd share.

Vaarna_Aarne

That's generally what I really like about NW's combat. You're constantly being involved in it, and it punishes you for running out of resources (pots or stamina) but giving you a great deal of power to your own use.

Does your race actually have any significant effect on your class performance, or is it more aesthetic?
The best way to think of race is in terms of the feat point equivalent. Stat bonuses are ultimately not a huge thing, as you can just aim to get 8s to the bonus stats if they're not class stats. That being said, most race abilities have a feat-like function that isn't entirely tied to a class. Halflings and Tieflings for example have fairly all-purpose traits (increased DPS and a minor tanking proc in case of Tieflings; better Deflect rating and CC resistance for Halflings). Dwarves could have a case for being more suited for melee due to their important race bonus being resistance to knock and repel effects, but then again most melee classes have mobilities powers.

Generally the guideline is that the racial bonuses for non-humans are slightly superior to 3 Heroic Feat points and freely allocated +2 stat points that Humans get in terms of raw statistical effect to make up for the loss of some fine-tuning.

J1M

Arcane
Please elaborate on these race-related quests. I remember seeing a class-related quest on my wizard, but not any that seemed based on race.

Vaarna_Aarne

For example, as a Tiefling you get contacted by a Tiefling named Vrockwing, who sends you mail whenever you're heading to a place where this guy unaware of his involvement is investigating Ashmadai activity for Neverwinter's guard.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
As a half-orc I got a mail from some other half-orc chick when I went to the tower district (I think that's the one under attack by orcs) saying that they weren't allowing people with orc blood to get in and that she needed my help since I'm famous and shit or something like that.

Vaarna_Aarne

The Duergar on a Howler that hits harder than a primordial elemental general is incidentally from the last Tiefling quest.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, I as a Wizard also spend time in dungeons stunning and repelling mobs that get near the Cleric. Good luck finding a pubbie to do that though! lol

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why are they performing shard maintences on saturday morning :/

BTW anyone seen any great weapons other than swords? It's getting on me nerves using only great sword all the time as a dwarf.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Eh, I'll avoid this game over weekends for the moment. Server performance is bad enough during the week.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

BTW anyone seen any great weapons other than swords? It's getting on me nerves using only great sword all the time as a dwarf.

I've got a blue club from cloaked tower.

Vaarna_Aarne

I've seen a mace and an axe. As for the maintenances, they're still probably struggling to keep up with the number of players.

eklektyk

Erudite
that dragon dungeon for lvl 34ish is fucking annoyigng .... my cleric gets stunlocked to fucking death by fucking imps and if u dead u cant return until whole party gets wiped ....
fucking annoyjing and long ....
need better items probably+M
They're going after clerics because your healing spells have the highest Threat build up in the game. Guardian fighter is the only class that can 'out-threat' clerics but that takes time and a lot of quality use of "Mark"/Threatening Rush.
i get that healing gets them aggroed but if i stay put im dead like in a second and if i run i get stunlocked to hell and dead:d
thats why newer finished that dragon dungeon ...
funy enough dungeon higher [ idris ] took our pub team only one wipe to win witch no tank at all ... [me cleric , 3 cw and a rouge - fucking wunderteam of dps ]

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom