Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dragon shard. But all servers are down right now.

That's ok because I am downloading the client, and it's not going very quickly.
There's a torrent for the client as well.

is there an in-game manual ? I feel a bit silly asking but as a rule I try to avoid too much explicit detail about game mechanics since this knowledge usually does away with a lot of the apparent complexity and creativity that allows for player choice (meaningful choice within the system that is). However, having acquired my first feat it would be reasonable to understand the basics of how different feats work but I cannot seem to find a manual which gives general details. Although the wiki was consulted for a description of action points and it is not at all out of place to have this type of information consolidated on a website I'm mostly assuming there is a manual of sorts which eludes me (the coloured text would suggest as much). Also, will feats become more regular with level progression after level 10 ? I would like to think character development is not too punctuated, for that matter is there a known level limit ? Oh and I allocated one of my points to what turns out to be a daily power before I cannot use multiple daily powers, at what level can characters use two or more daily powers ?
You get a set number of Heroic Feat points (20) and Paragon Feat points (30 or something, I think), a couple of extra ones if you're human. The pace is unchanged (unless you're a human).

Zeriel

Arcane
Neverwinter doesn't use per-encounter and daily powers. It's complete window-dressing. Every ability in the game either works off a cooldown (encounter powers), an infinitely replenishable resource system (dailies, which just require doing basic actions X amount of times between uses), or doesn't have any restriction whatsoever (at-will powers).

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh man, the game design in this thing.

Let's talk about mounts. You know, those things that range from 40-110% increased speed depending on the amount of dolla dolla balla balla you've got. You may think, what in the actual fuck, how does that matter? It's just convenience. Except that they are usable in PVP. And damage does not break the mounted state. Or slow you down. And you can remount instantly about 1 second after you're attacked. And you capture nodes as normal (as if you were standing on the ground) when mounted.

You want to win battlegrounds, Mister? We got you. Only $300 prz.
Pro-tip: Mount speed is based on the rank of the mount, which can be raised.

And the spider is not the only mount that starts at rank 3.

And damage does dismount.

And if you're in combat mode you cannot mount.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh man, the game design in this thing.

Let's talk about mounts. You know, those things that range from 40-110% increased speed depending on the amount of dolla dolla balla balla you've got. You may think, what in the actual fuck, how does that matter? It's just convenience. Except that they are usable in PVP. And damage does not break the mounted state. Or slow you down. And you can remount instantly about 1 second after you're attacked. And you capture nodes as normal (as if you were standing on the ground) when mounted.

You want to win battlegrounds, Mister? We got you. Only $300 prz.
Pro-tip: Mount speed is based on the rank of the mount, which can be raised.

And the spider is not the only mount that starts at rank 3.

And damage does dismount.

And if you're in combat mode you cannot mount.

Tooltip says damage dismounts after 3 strikes in a set number of seconds. I've taken multiple attacks (including knife-throw-spam from rogues) while mounted without it kicking in, though, which suggests to me it isn't working as advertisd.

And yes, you can raise mount speed of any mount with astral diamonds. Millions of them. Good luck with that, when the non-zen rate is maximum 24,000 a day, and usually much, much less than that.

Bottom line: mount abuse is integral to PVP, and the speed differential costs either real life money now, or months of grinding dailies. That's the definition of a pay-to-win advantage. Just so we're clear: I'm not surprised by the fact that Neverwinter is P2W, and neither does it really bother me very much. It's just amusing, especially when you contrast it with what people seem to believe, and the story Cryptic is selling.

Joghurt

Augur
Installed the game yesterday. Played a little bit and I'm at lvl 13 now. Very boring game to solo. What do I have to do to join the Codex guild? I'm on that Dragon server or whatever it's called. My ingame chars name is Joghurt.

Vaarna_Aarne

Installed the game yesterday. Played a little bit and I'm at lvl 13 now. Very boring game to solo. What do I have to do to join the Codex guild? I'm on that Dragon server or whatever it's called. My ingame chars name is Joghurt.
Character name alone doesn't really help us out when it comes to setting you up with the Guild and chat channel. Username is needed (actually charname is irrelevant, but it helps the auto-detect when typing the stuff out).

Gerrard

Arcane
Tooltip says damage dismounts after 3 strikes in a set number of seconds. I've taken multiple attacks (including knife-throw-spam from rogues) while mounted without it kicking in, though, which suggests to me it isn't working as advertisd.
Apparently you can't be dismounted at lower levels (or maybe the rental mounts are bugged). It does work later, and it's fucking annoying, believe me.

Zeriel

Arcane
Apparently you can't be dismounted at lower levels (or maybe the rental mounts are bugged). It does work later, and it's fucking annoying, believe me.

That's... an odd design choice, but glad to hear it. I presume this is some attempt to not scare off newbies when they're travelling through low level zones.

Joghurt

Augur
My username is Joghurt88. I think so at least :) anyway - invite me please.

Gerrard

Arcane
Also I got mailsmithing to level 7 and now you need better quality worker for new tasks, and in order to get him you need 4 lower level guys. And it still takes 18 hours. And of course you lose the 4 guys, as a sacrifice to crafting god.
Wonderful.

Vaarna_Aarne

Yea, I figured something like that, so every day I dedicate one of the extra slots for hiring more goons.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I played some with the Foundry and made a small quest. Dunno if server matter, but you can have a go - "It started with a burglary", @Havoc988, ID: NW-DJOQ5M8WI

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Downloading this game to have something to do while punching away time.. Hope it's well worth the 4gb ;)

Xi

Arcane
I followed a shiny lighted path to several different locations. None of which I can recall any pertinent information about, other than that I sometimes murdered someone before they murdered me. In following this shiny light, I attained level 7 without ever assigning stats/skills/perks/whatever (the game did it for me?). I occasionally equipped an item that I had found.

I'm going to continue to follow that shiny lightway (that seems reminiscent of Donnie Darko - but colorful) until it leads me to a whore. Then I will have won the game - at least in my own mind.

Vaarna_Aarne

And yea, the game doesn't let you assign your own points for the first levels. Heroic Feat Points start at level 10, and power points slightly earlier.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I completed this dragon bridge thingy now and sit in the city. I'm on the Dragon shard. Name is Treesnogger (both char and accountname). Would be cool to play with some codex bros. :)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Make a note of your name@namename thing in the upper-left corner of the gamescreen then post that here.

Or send a tell to sirwatson@crispy8181 or ashur@vaarna_aarne for the invite.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I started it today. So far I've tried the Rogue, the Guardian and the Wizard. The rogue seems alright, the wizard is meh and the guardian is, I dunno. I like that you actually have to time your blocks instead of just being a sponge that soaks up damage, but his playstyle is way too slow for my liking. I'll likely stick to the rogue.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I started it today. So far I've tried the Rogue, the Guardian and the Wizard. The rogue seems alright, the wizard is meh and the guardian is, I dunno. I like that you actually have to time your blocks instead of just being a sponge that soaks up damage, but his playstyle is way too slow for my liking. I'll likely stick to the rogue.

Wizards are quite deadly in pvp (where coincidentally you can most easily get pimpin' gear). You'd have to ask Vaarna_Aarne about their high-level PVE. Rogues are fun in both, if a tad squishy, but we already have a lot of them. Sadly I don't think running dungeons with 5 rogues is terribly viable, but I guess we'll have to try that sooner or later. :D

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I gave up on my Guardian too. It was fun at first but I got to 15 but it doesn't look like it gets any more complex really. The Rogue and Wizard on the other hand seem to play differently as they level up and gain more options in combat.

Vaarna_Aarne

The main thing with the wizard is that it's an extremely fast-paced and positional class. All your best powers either lock, move, or aoe the enemy, with casting time varying. One important thing to note is that the wizard is actually not that fragile as you might first thing, as the wizard has two very important types of defense: Distance and denial. A notable difference between the wizard and the other classes is that the wizard has four active powers, with the fourth one enjoying powered up status (Spell Mastery), so you enjoy a greater degree of flexibility with your build as well.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
The Rogue can be played similarly how Vaarna described the Wizard, except that of course you are forced into melee range.

The Greatsword Warrior on the other hand seems more straight up tank and damage. You can dodge the 'big' enemy attacks but for the mooks there's not much distraction or stunning you can do, you have to just stand there and do deeps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom