Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Multi-headed Cow

Not sure if I wanna give this a whirl. Looking at some gameplay I think I'd prefer DDO since that was closer to pen and paper D&D in MMO form and it had some cool secrets and shit in the adventures. On the other hand, since this is Perfect World is the free to play aspect good like Star Trek Online? Can you play everything without grinding or spending money?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not sure if I wanna give this a whirl. Looking at some gameplay I think I'd prefer DDO since that was closer to pen and paper D&D in MMO form and it had some cool secrets and shit in the adventures. On the other hand, since this is Perfect World is the free to play aspect good like Star Trek Online? Can you play everything without grinding or spending money?
The cash shop is mostly useless filler or conveniencies, and extremely overpriced for the most part. Aside from the faster mounts, big inventory bags and respec/tailor tokens, there's not really anything even remotely worthwhile. Due to one of the fashion items for male characters, it's best to call the payment model Pay2Manwhore.

Multi-headed Cow

The cash shop is mostly useless filler or conveniencies, and extremely overpriced for the most part. Aside from the faster mounts, big inventory bags and respec/tailor tokens, there's not really anything even remotely worthwhile. Due to one of the fashion items for male characters, it's best to call the payment model Pay2Manwhore.
Well then! Thanks for the heads up bro. I'll probably give it a try at least.

Zetor

Arcane
There are a lot of foundry quests out there... most of them are crap, as expected.

The high-rated story quests are decent (I personally liked Vermin in the Cave). Super Neverwinter Bros does what it says on the tin. My own quest is 'March of the Destroyer', you can find it by searching for @zaphtastic. It has c&c... haha not really. It has a lot of bioware/fake choices though /troll

Making a good quest takes a LOT of time. I spent about 2-3 weeks of my free time (mar 19 -> apr 2x, incl. a week I spent at a conference) to create mine, though that also included familiarizing myself with the foundry. A lot of that time was consumed by bullshit minutiae like making sure a blood pool doesn't clip through the floor and stuff.

Vaarna_Aarne

I've tried out I Am Slayer (meh, it wasn't bad really but it was essentially just a series of fights), Blacklake Gold (well, some of the fights were pretty interesting, so it was definately better than most, and the guy was clearly just practising so far), the first two quests of From The Shadows campaign (now these are a good showcase of what you can do with the Foundry). Am I correct that you have a large degree of freedom with boss design? Because I was quite pleasantly surprised by the last Elemental in Blacklake Gold and the Orc leader and his two goons in the second quest of From the Shadows (assholes roflstomped me the first time when I realized "wait a second none of these guys is charging me and there are red circles EVERYWHERE).

I'm definately going to test out Vermin in the Cave, Super Bros and March of the Destroyer come tomorrow's Daily Foundry.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
There are a lot of foundry quests out there... most of them are crap, as expected.

The high-rated story quests are decent (I personally liked Vermin in the Cave). Super Neverwinter Bros does what it says on the tin. My own quest is 'March of the Destroyer', you can find it by searching for @zaphtastic. It has c&c... haha not really. It has a lot of bioware/fake choices though /troll

Making a good quest takes a LOT of time. I spent about 2-3 weeks of my free time (mar 19 -> apr 2x, incl. a week I spent at a conference) to create mine, though that also included familiarizing myself with the foundry. A lot of that time was consumed by bullshit minutiae like making sure a blood pool doesn't clip through the floor and stuff.
Is it possible to make a stand-alone adventure, or are they are all automatically part of the shitty MMO?

Zetor

Arcane
I've tried out I Am Slayer (meh, it wasn't bad really but it was essentially just a series of fights), Blacklake Gold (well, some of the fights were pretty interesting, so it was definately better than most, and the guy was clearly just practising so far), the first two quests of From The Shadows campaign (now these are a good showcase of what you can do with the Foundry). Am I correct that you have a large degree of freedom with boss design? Because I was quite pleasantly surprised by the last Elemental in Blacklake Gold and the Orc leader and his two goons in the second quest of From the Shadows (assholes roflstomped me the first time when I realized "wait a second none of these guys is charging me and there are red circles EVERYWHERE).

I'm definately going to test out Vermin in the Cave, Super Bros and March of the Destroyer come tomorrow's Daily Foundry.
Well, you can't place "real" bosses yet (that feature is in the works), but you can place "solo" difficulty enemies (like ogres) that are pretty tough to solo by themselves. You can also change how an enemy looks (both model and name / enemy group name), which can be used creatively. There is also a fairly decent trigger system, so you can spawn enemies when an enemy group is defeated / when a player uses an interactable item / when the player reaches a waypoint / etc.

Is it possible to make a stand-alone adventure, or are they are all automatically part of the shitty MMO?
It's automatically part of the MMO -- in fact, the file is never stored on your machine (well, some bits and pieces are cached, and obviously you could store it with a debugger or something). You also relinquish all IP rights to your Foundry stories, but I think this is standard MO for these systems.

Gerrard

Arcane
The way Determination works is retarded. You gain it by taking damage or killing enemies. You don't gain any by dealing damage, even though you're supposed to be a damage dealing class. So in a boss fight in order to gain determination you need to stand in front of the boss and be taking hits constantly. Who the fuck came up with this mechanic.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, I know, and I have it at rank 3, the gain is unbelievably slow. Meanwhile, taking one hit gives like 15% of the whole bar.

Multi-headed Cow

Did a couple of quests with bros and I'm not really feeling it. Not as deep and fun as DDO, not as laid back and relaxing to play as STO, just felt sorta spastic which is more the domain of full-on action RPGs like your Diablos and your Torchlights, only without as much glorious loot whoring. I'll probably try a bit more but it definitely isn't grabbing me early on.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think the rare ones might be similar to daily tasks like dungeons and so forth? They simply allow you to create better items and of course have higher requirements.

That's all I can make of them so far.

Vaarna_Aarne

The way Determination works is retarded. You gain it by taking damage or killing enemies. You don't gain any by dealing damage, even though you're supposed to be a damage dealing class. So in a boss fight in order to gain determination you need to stand in front of the boss and be taking hits constantly. Who the fuck came up with this mechanic.
Determination is based on the Defiance power from Champions Online, and follows the same idea. Basically, the damage mitigation ticks are supposed to be built up by alternative means, not by taking damage (though the charged at-will power might work nicely for this). The purpose of the damage taking/killing mechanic is to refresh your Determination, not to be your sole means of building it. If you intend to use Determination to full extent, Roar and/or Daring Shout are important.

Also, in a full-scale bossfight the main thing the GWF should do is tag team with the Wizard to take down mook hordes when those are summoned.

EDIT: And the capstone for Destroyer paragon path DOES let you build up Determination by dealing damage.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Joined the dex guild, I'm Hoaxmetal@hoaxston

Good first impression, game's optimized and the combat feels goodman.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Best thing about this game so far is the Clerics dodge move. Smooth slide out of red circles.

I've tried the first two skirmishes and 1 pvp map (5v5, 3 point capture, forget what it was called). Pretty fun, but never really felt in danger of losing, do they get harder/more punishing? And is there bigger pvp maps?

Vaarna_Aarne

I just extended the Guild bank permission setting stuff to you guys (as you may have noticed, everyone from the 'dex gets to be a senior officer). That should fix this shit until it's fixed for reals.

J1M

Arcane
Is there a reliable way to target party members? When I did my first dungeon yesterday it felt like I had to manually point at party members to target them. As you can imagine, with everyone having a companion and jumping around, this was not efficient.

I've also been avoiding the foundry but it seems like I am quickly falling 2 or 3 levels behind where I should be for the quests that I have left. Any suggestions on that?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah, if there's a way to reliably target party members I could also use it. Although I find that usually casting regeneration as a cleric is redundant as just spamming right click on the boss to refresh the lifesteal debuff is enough to heal them. If they die you just run up and revive them anyway. But the two times I did a dungeon I was never the only cleric so healing wasn't an issue and nobody died. Then again my stats said I did the most healing by far so maybe even if I was the only one it would be easy. Well apart from spawning monsters going after me.

Also as much as no mace action is decline on the cleric, the zeus thunder throwing wannabe attack is kind of nice combined with the doom beam in smiting mode. Much better than just mashing the heal spell key whenever the tank's HP drops too much.

J1M

Arcane
Did you also notice that when channeling divinity you can move while casting those energy beams?

I've only done dungeons as a solo cleric and aside from the last boss, I am often not needed at all. The AI cleric companions everyone has have much better aim than me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom