Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

J1M

Arcane
Do rogues have significantly different gameplay?

As opposed to what?

The stealth ability you get at lvl 10 is only for a few seconds - I suppose you could skip a mob pack or two every now and then, but it's not meant for that.
As compared to a class without stealth. That's too bad, could have been interesting.

I also haven't noticed my cleric having a significant bonus against undead, but perhaps I don't have the right abilities yet.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Do rogues have significantly different gameplay? I remember in DDO there were sometimes entirely different approaches to the basic "enter room, kill group" in missions for rogues. They could skip groups of enemies and climb around in the rafters to locate the high value targets they were looking for to complete the quests.

I'd be interested to know how gameplay changes at level 10 for each class. When my cleric got the ability to channel divinity I noticed I was approaching things differently. (Basically it is a mode you can enter where all of your abilities are boosted. Using them depletes a meter. You can enter and exit the mode free of charge.) Some abilities get new features, such as AOE damage or knockback when I channel them.
Well, with the Wizard I've noticed that I'm leaning more and more towards indirect tanking through control spells (= "distance is the only armor I need", "if Muhammed won't come to the mountain, the mountain comes to Muhammed", and "if I choke a bitch it can't hit me"). One notable thing to this is that only a very small minority of big bosses are immune to control effects. I've also recently started using Shield spell, which quickly got ranked up to max. Damage mitigation that you can use as a solid AoE knock damage spell? Sign me up! Works well with Repel when it comes to tossing mooks around like ragdolls (if you see some enemies fly really far and really fast overhead of you, somebody nearby is using Repel with Spell Mastery).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Rogues will work out well. I'm noticing more and more while soloing with my GWF that the traps are slowly starting to become less INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS and they're starting to hit harder. I sometimes only detect them right before it's too late and have to suck down a potion or two. I would imagine in some of the later dungeons that the rogue's ability to spot (and I presume disarm) them will come in very handy.

There are signs in this game of semi-intelligent design. While only minor examples, there's the fact that some of the chests turn into mimics (which is a very old-school D&D thing) and that some of the areas' designs are pretty clever. I particularly liked the tower with the wizard at top that you have to kill. Very well used space that surprises you once you realize you were just looking at that area and thought it was just cosmetic.

This game reminds me a lot of Diablo, like I mentioned, but it's got some Divinity 2 mixed in there, some DDO thrown in as well, and... something else. I have to admit I'm really enjoying it.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Some of you are progressing quickly. I noticed mid-20's already, and I just made 20 myself last night.

Any of you who are a little slower-paced, like I am, speak up so you're not left behind. I don't mind going back and re-running content to help people out, such as the orc skirmish and the first party dungeon (which I haven't run yet). These are optional but it would suck to miss out on them because you're rushing to try to catch up. Fuck that.

I'm not sure what the penalties are for over-leveling a dungeon or in having a higher-level character in your party, but we should be able to tell that soon.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
We'll get you an invite. And like I said don't worry too much about the basement dwellers and their hyperleveling. Their moms will tell them to go outside for a while pretty soon.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So my charname@username is:
Gabby Selva@micoselva
I am currently in the wererat dungeon.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Invites incoming shortly.

Also guys, to receive the chat channel invite, go to Chat Settings and once there to the Channels tab.

J1M

Arcane
I also need to do the orc tower dungeon thing. Will be on late tonight. Have a lvl 17 cleric.

Stokowski

Arcane
What do you think this is 1987?

Christ, I wish.

Movies released in 1987: Full Metal Jacket, Wings of Desire, RoboCop, Angel Heart, The Last Emperor, Raising Arizona, Red Sorghum, Predator, and Wall Street.

Albums released in 1987: The Joshua Tree (U2), Surfing With the Alien (Joe Satriani), Document (R.E.M.), Franks Wild Years (Tom Waits), and Midnight to Midnight (The Psychedelic Furs).

Everything since has been :decline:

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Any decent builds for a wizard? Im level... 9? 10? i cant remember and i have not put any points out :(

Hellraiser

Arcane
Queuing with randoms for skirmishes and dungeons is fun. Nobody notices that new enemies spawn and they just let them attack the cleric/casters, better kill that boss first! At least I got some shit for my cleric out of that, most of it requires 2 or 3 levels more than I have but good too high level loot is still good loot.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Ohai, invite McButterpants@CptFetthals to the glorious Codexia. Cannot into sending messages till lvl 15...

Gerrard

Arcane
Hay gais, so how about that Repel spell?
Played one arena match, my team rolled them pretty hard, and the guy who was first was a wizard with 13/1/8, I was in second with 3/4/22.
Seems like a perfectly balanced class.

Norfleet

Apparently the server has fallen down and gone boom, affecting STO as well. I blame NW for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom