Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

J1M

Arcane
Forget what I said about ability scores. They are linked to PnP D&D in a nonsensical way.

Based on this, the great weapon fighter's best stat is dex: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Great_Weapon_Fighter
Stat effects are unique for each class, so it really is best to leave DnD expectations of attribute mechanics at the door.

Personally I'd say it's best to look at the total value of points your roll gets. The highest total I got was 79 points (the standard total is 78; these numbers count the +4 from race), aiming for Intelligence and Charisma as the higher two class attributes, with Constitution over 10. A thing to get is that you receive a couple of +1 to all stat upgrades as you go ahead, and that it seems you cannot level a single stat above a certain point (18 base seems to be a limit so far, no idea if you can go above it on later levels, since I capped out my Int), and I'm not sure if you've also got a limit of one stat-up per stat each time you get two raise them.
As you said, it really depends on class. For a barbarian, you want high Dex because +10% dmg/+5% crit is not as good as +8% dmg/ +8% crit.

For a cleric, since both damage and healing potential are on the same stat, you want to pump up WIS as high as you can.

Since INT doesn't affect accuracy, I could see a wizard wanting equal quantities of INT/WIS/CHR but most characters have a dump stat or two.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Holy shit, people need to learn how to animate swordfighting. If the sword is cutting diagonally left and down, you should be stepping forward with your right foot. (1) Because you're turning your body the same direction as your swing in order to impart power, and (2) You'll cut your damn foot off if you step your left foot forward the same time the blade is coming down on your left foot.

FFS.

That's my irrelevant nitpick of the day.

Will you train me in the noble arts, master? I want to be a dragon swordmaster!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Holy shit, people need to learn how to animate swordfighting. If the sword is cutting diagonally left and down, you should be stepping forward with your right foot. (1) Because you're turning your body the same direction as your swing in order to impart power, and (2) You'll cut your damn foot off if you step your left foot forward the same time the blade is coming down on your left foot.

FFS.

That's my irrelevant nitpick of the day.

Will you train me in the noble arts, master? I want to be a dragon swordmaster!
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Comb...UTF8&qid=1367419630&sr=8-1&keywords=talhoffer

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So doing a front flip over your opponent and blindly thrusting your sword into his back is a lie?
If they made the basic attacks flashy animu style it would bother me less. Its their feeble attempt at realism in the basic attacks that is distasteful.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
My GWF's ridiculously over-the-top slash/slash/BOOM GROUND ATTACK! scoffs at your claims of an attempt at realism.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Bros I ran the orc skirmish last night in the Tower district (this is the first mini raid) with a PUG and it was surprisingly difficult. Pleasingly so, actually. My group was completely clueless, with no one healing, and I had to bail them out by laying down three separate portable altars, but we made it through all phases. The final boss is a big son-of-a-bitch.

This would be a good trial run for our guild just to practice our ineptitude awesome moves.

Everyone get to lvl 15 asap.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oh and if Vaarnie wants to be the leader I've told him I don't really care. He's got more energy and probably time than I do.

So much for my delusions of grandeur.

J1M

Arcane
Oh and if Vaarnie wants to be the leader I've told him I don't really care. He's got more energy and probably time than I do.

So much for my delusions of grandeur.
As long as he doesn't name it after anime.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I ran the skirmish today and we had 3 wizards and 1 guardian fighter (me) and 1 cleric I think, everything was getting stunlocked so bad

Isn't it comical how most people just sit there in the BIG RED AREA hoping to chop the thing down in time?

I find it highly ironic how much hullaballoo was made about this game being shit because you're immobile when you attack yet mobility during its fights is one of the most important aspects in staying alive.

Managing stamina is actually kind of fun. I enjoy sprinting around to their flanks as efficiently as I can.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
My GWF's ridiculously over-the-top slash/slash/BOOM GROUND ATTACK! scoffs at your claims of an attempt at realism.
Well, I am playing a Guardian so I see where the difference in perception lies.

Edit: DEE-PEE-ESS guardian, fuckers. :dealwithit:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Another performance tip: those shadows? Yeah, just turn them down to low. Runs much smoother that way and you won't miss them after about five minutes.

J1M

Arcane
I ran the skirmish today and we had 3 wizards and 1 guardian fighter (me) and 1 cleric I think, everything was getting stunlocked so bad

Isn't it comical how most people just sit there in the BIG RED AREA hoping to chop the thing down in time?

I find it highly ironic how much hullaballoo was made about this game being shit because you're immobile when you attack yet mobility during its fights is one of the most important aspects in staying alive.

Managing stamina is actually kind of fun. I enjoy sprinting around to their flanks as efficiently as I can.
Does it bother you that you can't dash backwards with sprint? You can run backwards, but not dash.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Another performance tip: those shadows? Yeah, just turn them down to low. Runs much smoother that way and you won't miss them after about five minutes.
Yeah, I have to turn them on low otherwise they render incorrectly in 3dvision :smug:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Does it bother you that you can't dash backwards with sprint? You can run backwards, but not dash.
That's realistic :smug:

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I just double-tap A or D to dash to the side, but you can still mouse-steer while dashing and if your framerate, etc., is high enough, it's easy to very quickly turn on a dime (to get behind) and stop the dash almost immediately, saving it until the next time you need to evade. There are also a few powers and feats that add to stamina, so I'll probably pick those up whenever I can.

You know, Conan was very cat-like with his reflexes too. :smug:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well damn, Codex finally gets around to creating the Guild, Dragon shard goes down the moment OK is clicked.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This game is horrible. Even WoW has more depth.
What a joke.

Gerrard

Arcane
B3hFEAz.png

:rpgcodex:
VoEFgGB.png

FUUUUUUUCK

Hellraiser

Arcane
I made a dorf, he's a zealous cleric. His name is Darokur Mehr.

Game is very diablowish, then again better this than usual MMO combat where you faceroll the number keys until they die. Clerics being ranged is decline though.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I made a dorf, he's a zealous cleric. His name is Darokur Mehr.

Game is very diablowish, then again better this than usual MMO combat where you faceroll the number keys until they die. Clerics being ranged is decline though.

Was hoping for some mace action ? :P

Personally, thats what I wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom