Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Try downloading the torrent, speeds are higher and more consistent. At least they were for me.

As for the game itself, seems good to me for an mmo. Made a dwarf cleric, dude has ranged attacks and some crowd control. Can't say I played for a long period, lag makes this unbearable.
Did not quite understand this daily power thing, you summon an angel to deal with the difficult creeps?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Alright guys who are playing, I have one question. Do enemies perform an adequate job of dodging, blocking, or somehow otherwise avoiding your attacks? That's really all I need to know. I'm done with games that try to be twitchy yet only put in half of an action game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
They don't do shit, it's a race to who beats down the other's hp bar down first. Fortunately at least early on the difficulty is pretty trivial.

JxFBC34.jpg

Great job, guys. :troll:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright guys who are playing, I have one question. Do enemies perform an adequate job of dodging, blocking, or somehow otherwise avoiding your attacks? That's really all I need to know. I'm done with games that try to be twitchy yet only put in half of an action game.
So far the main element in PvE has been attrition. Basically, you're aiming to minimize the damage you take while taking out the enemy as fast as you can (an important thing to point out is that you don't heal passively when out of combat). The enemies also start hitting surprisingly hard surprisingly often, I've been running out of stamina dodging in the last couple of quests, though I've managed to keep a surplus of potions. I'd say the difficulty has been ramping up with a nice and steady curve, so I'd expect the AI enemies to start having defensive moves as well at some point. The most recent new trick they've had has been AoE pulls with a large area (it seems you cannot dodge while you're being pulled in this manner, though you've got a window to dodge when the monster does its big whack after pulling).

One thing I really like about this game is that they've put in a lot of crowd control that works in a big way. So far, holds and stuns have worked against all bosses and larger critters, and the Repel spell is nothing to scoff at (throws enemies back a huge distance).

Forget what I said about ability scores. They are linked to PnP D&D in a nonsensical way.

Based on this, the great weapon fighter's best stat is dex: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Great_Weapon_Fighter
Stat effects are unique for each class, so it really is best to leave DnD expectations of attribute mechanics at the door.

Personally I'd say it's best to look at the total value of points your roll gets. The highest total I got was 79 points (the standard total is 78; these numbers count the +4 from race), aiming for Intelligence and Charisma as the higher two class attributes, with Constitution over 10. A thing to get is that you receive a couple of +1 to all stat upgrades as you go ahead, and that it seems you cannot level a single stat above a certain point (18 base seems to be a limit so far, no idea if you can go above it on later levels, since I capped out my Int), and I'm not sure if you've also got a limit of one stat-up per stat each time you get two raise them.

Aothan

Magister
Daily abilities would seem to be dependent on your interaction with encounters (i.e. attacking), although that's just a an early view of mine and they could just as well be a class of abilities which recharge over time. As to enemy tactics, I imagine some would at least block in later levels and if so most probably dodge or teleport depending on the skill set/s involved. From what little I've played blocking could prove very efficient with emphasis on passive skill focuses and as the player learns which attacks are specifically blocked, not to mention develops sufficient reflexes to alternate between skills and blocking.

as to the game itself, I'm not sure what to assume just yet, after my introduction to the genre with Aion I'm wary of mmo games, but for a free open beta and what I've experienced so far I'm pleased to play for few days or more to see how it fares as the world opens up and the game's complexity develops. I noticed most players are tending towards rp themed names, which is surprising to me a nice touch all the same.

Vaarna_Aarne

as to the game itself, I'm not sure what to assume just yet, after my introduction to the genre with Aion I'm wary of mmo games, but for a free open beta and what I've experienced so far I'm pleased to play for few days or more to see how it fares as the world opens up and the game's complexity develops. I noticed most players are tending towards rp themed names, which is surprising to me a nice touch all the same.
One thing that assists with that is that Cryptic doesn't have an enforcement of unique names, so people don't get frustrated and start adding numbers and shit. I had to spend some fifteen minutes just finding a name that wasn't taken already in DCUO.

Hellraiser

Arcane
This thing is in open beta now? I'll jump in on the f2p mmo decline train and see what's up. But the class choices seem a bit limited.

Opportunistic rogue or ZEALOUS HEATHEN SMITING CLERIC PUTTING THE FEAR OF GOD (no not that false god apostate!) INTO HIS ENEMIES. Which would benefit the glorious KKK guild more? That is until I abandon the game.

:troll:

Vaarna_Aarne

This thing is in open beta now? I'll jump in on the f2p mmo decline train and see what's up. But the class choices seem a bit limited.

Opportunistic rogue or ZEALOUS HEATHEN SMITING CLERIC PUTTING THE FEAR OF GOD (no not that false god apostate!) INTO HIS ENEMIES. Which would benefit the glorious KKK guild more? That is until I abandon the game.

:troll:
We are still working on a headcount. I know I've got a Wizard, Crispy's a Great Weapon Fighter, and fizzy's a Rogue.

anus_pounder

Arcane
So thats at least 3 Guardian fighters we have now. Guess we aren't hurting for tanks. :p

EDIT : What stats should I have for my guardian btw? I know Con is number 1 so I'm hoping to roll an 18 for that. But what about str and dex?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit, people need to learn how to animate swordfighting. If the sword is cutting diagonally left and down, you should be stepping forward with your right foot. (1) Because you're turning your body the same direction as your swing in order to impart power, and (2) You'll cut your damn foot off if you step your left foot forward the same time the blade is coming down on your left foot.

FFS.

That's my irrelevant nitpick of the day.

Gerrard

Arcane
Make that 4 great weapon fighters. They can't hurt you if you kill them first!

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
So thats at least 3 Guardian fighters we have now. Guess we aren't hurting for tanks. :p

EDIT : What stats should I have for my guardian btw? I know Con is number 1 so I'm hoping to roll an 18 for that. But what about str and dex?
This table will show you what each stat does. Not nearly as big a boost for each one as PnP and there are not break points at even numbers.
http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Guardian_Fighter

anus_pounder

Arcane

This table will show you what each stat does. Not nearly as big a boost for each one as PnP and there are not break points at even numbers.
http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Guardian_Fighter

Ah, ok. Thanks for that.

J1M

Arcane
New record
2bSUpJS.png
If you leave the game open while working in a different window the queue number will confuse itself and jump up to about 900,000.

Also, I have a cleric if you guys are still trying to count things. The barbarian I had wasn't as OP as in closed beta so I got bored of it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
SSAO hits performance hard, btw. Like 15 fps difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom