Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

DeepOcean

Arcane
Man, you know Bioware is incompetent when you have an universe with a pantheon of gods and demigods with cool backgrounds and of all those beings, they choose interdimensional butthurt lizards that wanted historical reparations as the main villains.

Cael

Arcane
Man, you know Bioware is incompetent when you have an universe with a pantheon of gods and demigods with cool backgrounds and of all those beings, they choose interdimensional butthurt lizards that wanted historical reparations as the main villains.
It is a better premise than the sjw wankfest that was Mask of the Betrayer. I never thought I'd be so happy killing an angel.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Let the man exit gracefully. No one should be exposed to NWN for prolonged periods and what better way to drop a playthrough?
It took me 5 years to let enough disgust fade to finally be able to finish the OC.
The hard drive with my save for HotU died when I was on the last chapter in hell, i took it for a sign to never finish this godforsaken game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
NWN is a good game.
wzbtp5.gif

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NWN is among the worst RPGs I ever played, including utterly abysmal shovelware - because at least with the shovelware, you know you can't expect much.

But NWN was touted as the successor to Baldur's Gate 2, one of the first games to use the new 3rd edition D&D ruleset, and so on and so forth.
And then it turns out to have the blandest single player campaign ever made, doesn't allow full party control (and even mods haven't figured out how to do that yet), everything is excruciatingly slow... terrible. Just terrible. I can't name a single redeeming feature of NWN.

If you weren't playing multiplayer, you kind of missed the point of NWN. A digital tabletop equivalent, it was incredible. I also played on some very good persistent worlds. Some of my fondest gaming memories are marauding as a Stormlord, being the servers main villain.

The OC was just poorly done. SoU and HotU were both good. I have played custom modules and they were all very high quality too. With proper placeable use, even the games shabby aesthetics can be ameliorated. Still, its strength lies in the multiplayer. Sorry for those of you that missed the boat. I imagine it was like Ultima Online. You got to experience it in its heyday or you didn't.

Last edited:

FriendlyMerchant

This sounds antisemitic. It's about time Bioware got some attention from the ADL.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
NWN as a package was the Half-Life of CRPG's. Without it, they'd have never been popularized among the masses. Compare that to modern Bioware, which is trailing behind trends set by Ubisoft or other garbage companies. A company that has nothing to say and nothing of value to add anymore. How the mighty have fallen.

Anyways, I thought SoU was servicable and HotU was great. The OC was a real drag though.

Gargaune

Magister
With proper placeable use, even the games shabby aesthetics can be ameliorated.
Yeah, the newer tilesets and a generous use of placeables can have the game look passable even today. I'm sure there's some nostalgia at play, but it's easy to see that something like TotM looks much more palatable than the OC.

When are they going to fix the shadow mustaches?
WQvoAXw.png
Technically speaking, they already have, the high poly heads in the HD Art Pack should do away with that...

But I don't like the HD Art Pack due to some other issues, so I stick with the shadow moustaches. Besides, RPGs these days need all the moustaches they can get.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you weren't playing multiplayer, you kind of missed the point of NWN. A digital tabletop equivalent, it was incredible. I also played on some very good persistent worlds. Some of my fondest gaming memories are marauding as a Stormlord, being the servers main villain.

The OC was just poorly done. SoU and HotU were both good. I have played custom modules and they were all very high quality too. With proper placeable use, even the games shabby aesthetics can be ameliorated. Still, its strength lies in the multiplayer. Sorry for those of you that missed the boat. I imagine it was like Ultima Online. You got to experience it in its heyday or you didn't.

I never got to play it in multiplayer, no. Didn't have the internet for multiplayer games when NWN came out, and I didn't get into pen and paper until the late 00s, at which point I'd play it either IRL with friends around a table or online through programs like OpenRPG, a predecessor to stuff like Roll20. I first experienced NWN as a single player RPG, and as such it is a complete failure in every imaginable way.

But that's the weird part. If it were an online only game, sure, I would have just ignored it. But it isn't - it also pretends to be a single player game, while its systems are inherently designed for multiplayer in a way that makes them utter shit in single player.
And while there are some good modules - I like A Dance With Rogues, Swordflight, and Almraiven - they are dragged down by how utterly trash NWN is as a single player game.
A Dance With Rogues and Almraiven work because they were designed for rogues and mages respectively, so the challenges you face are intended for those classes. D&D is a system that relies heavily on different classes fulfilling different roles in the party, but since NWN is single character only, you can't design challenges for rogues, wizards, and fighters in the same module because the player will only have one of those classes.
Swordflight, as great as it is in its design, suffers heavily from it. I played it as a multi-classed fighter-rogue and encountered so many frustrations with my AI companions. Crossbow chick would often get herself killed by attacks of opportunity provoked by shooting her crossbow in melee range. Later I recruited two spellcasters who would always waste their spells on trivial encounters and have none left for the boss fight. Just terrible. Any campaign with challenging encounters you're supposed to tackle as a party rather than a solo character becomes a pure gamble on your AI companions not committing suicide.

In Knights of the Chalice 2 I often had to reload a fight half a dozen times because of how ridiculously hard it was... yet I kept having fun with it, trying to out-spellcast the enemy and disable his highest damage-dealers before he could do the same to me.
Meanwhile in Swordflight, I often had to reload a fight half a dozen times because my AI-controlled party members acted so ridiculously stupid, they often died unnecessarily. It was frustrating and not fun at all.

FriendlyMerchant

I don't see why the Swordflight guys think things like this are good ideas
QljsFFM.png
You get the quest for this at something like levels 9-11. Yet this guy wipes consistently.

Also, get a bad roll? Die! Retarded shit. Doesn't work well in this ruleset because I just simply enter combat, AI has initiative, uses the attack, and boom either spend xp to revive or reload.

YTK8TcV.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Gargaune

Magister
I don't see why the Swordflight guys think things like this are good ideas
QljsFFM.png
One guy. And yeah, you wanna get your ass in gear once you head out of Calimport, the difficulty spikes. And then you get to Ch.3 which is concentrated murder - not gonna like, I broke and started twinking my PC. Ch.4 felt more balanced, though I'm not sure if that's by design or if I managed to course-correct my character a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom