Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

d1nolore

Savant
I don't see why the Swordflight guys think things like this are good ideas
QljsFFM.png
You get the quest for this at something like levels 9-11. Yet this guy wipes consistently.

Also, get a bad roll? Die! Retarded shit. Doesn't work well in this ruleset because I just simply enter combat, AI has initiative, uses the attack, and boom either spend xp to revive or reload.

YTK8TcV.png
You need to be clever and use tactics. Swordflight is supply heavy so no need to hold back. I can see certain challenges seeming overwhelming but Swordflight sets the pace from the beginning so shouldn’t be a surprise. Don’t know your character or build so can’t really suggest anything. Sometimes it’s worthwhile using invisibility potions and setting up again then re-engaging. Your first volley is usually the most powerful, so do it again; ie summons/spells/scrolls/traps/full buffs/etc

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... Also, get a bad roll? Die! Retarded shit. Doesn't work well in this ruleset because I just simply enter combat, AI has initiative, uses the attack, and boom either spend xp to revive or reload...

One tip: Death Ward potions, which you can purchase in temples, render you immune to the Water Elementals' instant death attack.

FriendlyMerchant

I don't see why the Swordflight guys think things like this are good ideas
QljsFFM.png
You get the quest for this at something like levels 9-11. Yet this guy wipes consistently.

Also, get a bad roll? Die! Retarded shit. Doesn't work well in this ruleset because I just simply enter combat, AI has initiative, uses the attack, and boom either spend xp to revive or reload.

YTK8TcV.png
You need to be clever and use tactics. Swordflight is supply heavy so no need to hold back. I can see certain challenges seeming overwhelming but Swordflight sets the pace from the beginning so shouldn’t be a surprise. Don’t know your character or build so can’t really suggest anything. Sometimes it’s worthwhile using invisibility potions and setting up again then re-engaging. Your first volley is usually the most powerful, so do it again; ie summons/spells/scrolls/traps/full buffs/etc

It doesn't seem like it set the pace from the beginning. First part of Swordflight wasn't too difficult before the ruins, then the difficult seems to jump drastically by level 2 of the ruins. Same thing here. Mostly not difficult to the point where I got 10 or 11 levels with only one a few really difficult fights, then suddenly a fight like the Owlbear chief comes out of nowhere and wipes my party.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... then suddenly a fight like the Owlbear chief comes out of nowhere and wipes my party.

If that is the first time something wiped your party, you are doing a lot better than most players seem to. Hard to say why without more information. Naturally, the difficulty of any given encounter can vary considerably depending on one's build, tactics, the order in which non-linear quests were tackled, etc. Sometimes fights that are extremely difficult for a warrior will be easy for a caster, and vice versa.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I started playing this premium module and I'm surprised by the overall good quality of it. I'm still early in but it's already gripping me more than any of Bioware's official work.

I wonder though if it's worth having three companions with me due to XP penalty? Or is there none?

Gargaune

Magister
I started playing this premium module and I'm surprised by the overall good quality of it. I'm still early in but it's already gripping me more than any of Bioware's official work.

I wonder though if it's worth having three companions with me due to XP penalty? Or is there none?
Don't remember about the XP, but it's worth taking the full party with you since they've got some story beats along the way. It's not KotOR II or anything, but they've got their moments to pitch in and it matters.

Except for the...
...sword. That oversized can opener is a prime example of that tedious "humour" we can't kick these days, spoils the mood whenever it opens its metaphorical mouth. Would not hire on a second playthrough.

But yeah, TotM's great. Solid design and proper production values for official content. The plot won't knock your socks off, but the writing's well fleshed out and the worldbuilding's fantastic, pulling heavily from an extensive fiction prior to the Forgotten Realms shifting focus to the Sword Coast. It's the sort of content I'd have hoped to get more of from Beamdog/Ossian, but I guess it just didn't bring home the bacon.

Arthandas

Prophet
Is it normal that after turning on the HD models, some npcs (like Aribeth) still use the old ones?

I played some of the OC last weekend after taking a break from getting Gedonia to work on Linux (I got it working the next day). Maybe it was the bottle of Malbec, but I actually had a decent time. My wizard had plenty of appraise skill and could turn 1gold clubs into 300+ gold clubs using the Level 2 spell continuous light, so I broke the economy. Might as well have used the cheat console. Its also nice having powerful magic. I really aggravates me how other CRPG systems just don't get it right.

Gargaune

Magister
Is it normal that after turning on the HD models, some npcs (like Aribeth) still use the old ones?
Aribeth, like many of the OC NPCs, don't use the dynamic Appearance parts system available for their race, but single preset meshes. Beamdog released a demo mod way back when they started working on the HD assets which had a high-definition Aribeth reskin, but I don't recall whether they bundled that into the new HD Art Pack, you might wanna have a look around.

Arthandas

Prophet
Aribeth, like many of the OC NPCs, don't use the dynamic Appearance parts system available for their race, but single preset meshes. Beamdog released a demo mod way back when they started working on the HD assets which had a high-definition Aribeth reskin, but I don't recall whether they bundled that into the new HD Art Pack, you might wanna have a look around.
I'm sticking with the old models, the new ones are pretty crap honestly and they disabled that cute floaty cloth/hair physics which I always found adorable and very characteristic of NWN.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm sticking with the old models, the new ones are pretty crap honestly and they disabled that cute floaty cloth/hair physics which I always found adorable and very characteristic of NWN.
I've done the same thing. I think Beamdog put in plenty of effort with the HD Art Pack but unfortunately they snuck in a few mistakes, particularly with the textures, that just doesn't make it for me. And I'm used to the old character art by now, looks bad up close but not as much of an issue at the perspective you're usually playing.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm also sticking with the old models. The only thing I find wrong with them is that they're overly (and obviously) segmented, probably due to the skill of the Bioware 3D artists at the time.

Comte

Which module?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Which module?

Tyrants of the Moonsea.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've done the same thing. I think Beamdog put in plenty of effort with the HD Art Pack but unfortunately they snuck in a few mistakes, particularly with the textures, that just doesn't make it for me. And I'm used to the old character art by now, looks bad up close but not as much of an issue at the perspective you're usually playing.

I'm also sticking with the old models. The only thing I find wrong with them is that they're overly (and obviously) segmented, probably due to the skill of the Bioware 3D artists at the time.
All.you guys need is Gunner's body rebuild
https://neverwintervault.org/projec...rebuildretexture-male-female-all-races-phenos

Arthandas

Prophet
For those of you bothered by the blurry portraits and pixelated icons caused by UI scaling on higher resolutions, there's this awesome high res UI mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter/mods/897

Basically completely new high resolution UI textures and icons + AI scaled inventory. I also strongly advise using the optional 2x portraits pack, the difference is pretty massive.

So, I finished Shadows of Undrentide a few days ago and honestly I'm struggling to see why people consider it superior to the OC. Was it the smaller stakes, smaller scale story that people liked? The environments? The only other improvement that I noticed was how it seemed to give you a few more options to flex your character's skills to complete quests. Even with this though, the issue I found was that unlike the OC, (And it's sad because there were so few in that game as well) there were zero interesting moral quandaries and really no deeper consequences to any choices you made. At the end of the day, it just felt like another tech demo, showing off slightly more advanced quest structures.

About the only thing that stood out was an Aoist monk having doubts and asking your character for advice and that never went anywhere. Other than that, I guess Tymofarar and Deekin were cool as characters? I don't even remember the main villain's motivations. Is HotU actually better or just more overhype? Seems they'd be in danger of creating a decent game if they took the stakes of the OC and added in all the class flavor of Undrentide.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I finished Shadows of Undrentide a few days ago and honestly I'm struggling to see why people consider it superior to the OC. Was it the smaller stakes, smaller scale story that people liked? The environments? The only other improvement that I noticed was how it seemed to give you a few more options to flex your character's skills to complete quests. Even with this though, the issue I found was that unlike the OC, (And it's sad because there were so few in that game as well) there were zero interesting moral quandaries and really no deeper consequences to any choices you made. At the end of the day, it just felt like another tech demo, showing off slightly more advanced quest structures.

About the only thing that stood out was an Aoist monk having doubts and asking your character for advice and that never went anywhere. Other than that, I guess Tymofarar and Deekin were cool as characters? I don't even remember the main villain's motivations. Is HotU actually better or just more overhype? Seems they'd be in danger of creating a decent game if they took the stakes of the OC and added in all the class flavor of Undrentide.
For one thing it puts you in much more interesting situations than oc. Certainly does away with the "collect 4 creatures to collect four artifacts to collect Quattro keys" pattern of oc.

d1nolore

Savant

I never thought SoU was very good. OC had a much more interesting start as the city had interesting parts and more grand, but the quest was very dull. SoU had more interesting quests but a slow low level start. HotU I thought was the best of the official campaigns, though I am not fond of epic levels. It’s much grander of an adventure with a flowing story and quests, and has more unique features than the other 2.

Comte

Different strokes for different folks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom