Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If I remember correctly, I have also beaten it twice as a kid. Once with a Sorcerer that dual-wielded swords for some reason and once with a Paladin/Champion of Torm. I'm sure I beat it with the Paladin, but I don't remember about the other playthrough.

Cael

Arcane
I have yellow shapes in my game

Maybe you're playing in debugmode? You need to turn it off if you turn it on.

Let the man exit gracefully. No one should be exposed to NWN for prolonged periods and what better way to drop a playthrough? "Oh noooo! My game is bugged! Look at all these yellow shapes (that I enabled)! Welp, guess I can't continue. Alas!"
I guess I remain the only dude to beat the OC twice.
:despair:
I completed it first with a straight Human Druid. The second time was with a Dwarf Fighter x/Bard 1/RDD 10. Both cases, I took the toon over to HotU.

I have also completed with a straight Wizard, a Fighter 4/Monk x, and a Cleric x/Warpriest 4.

Oddly enough, I never completed the Paladin 2/Sorcerer x run...

d1nolore

Savant
I’ve played chapter one about 30 times over the years to varying degrees, got to chapter 2 a couple time but never went into chapter 2. NWN is a great game but the OC is pretty dogshit. Completed SoU once multiplayer, and HotU once myself. I keep feeling like I should complete the OC one day just because, but I really just can’t.

I really think it’s just the world/level design that lets it down; those random chests and barrels everywhere(do I really need to go around opening all these?). A lot of the city or map layouts feel unrealistic and just designed so you run around winding corners to hide more trash mobs. Doors fucking everywhere but most locked, do I need to check them all? I guess another flaw is the fetch quest design of chapter 1; it gives you the story background and then loads you up with the quest to find the 4 waterdhavian creatures, but really there’s not a lot interesting you learn or discover after this until you complete the 4 areas. Docks is a little more flavourful. So its quite a slog through all that. Like imagine BG1 after candlekeep giving you 4 fetch quests in 4 locations and no real story progression until you complete those. Fuck what a slog that would be. You’re not really interacting with the world just searching for 4 things. Then you get to chapter 2 in the wilderness and fuck me I can’t be bothered running around the wilderness and caves.

Cael

Arcane
I’ve played chapter one about 30 times over the years to varying degrees, got to chapter 2 a couple time but never went into chapter 2. NWN is a great game but the OC is pretty dogshit. Completed SoU once multiplayer, and HotU once myself. I keep feeling like I should complete the OC one day just because, but I really just can’t.

I really think it’s just the world/level design that lets it down; those random chests and barrels everywhere(do I really need to go around opening all these?). A lot of the city or map layouts feel unrealistic and just designed so you run around winding corners to hide more trash mobs. Doors fucking everywhere but most locked, do I need to check them all? I guess another flaw is the fetch quest design of chapter 1; it gives you the story background and then loads you up with the quest to find the 4 waterdhavian creatures, but really there’s not a lot interesting you learn or discover after this until you complete the 4 areas. Docks is a little more flavourful. So its quite a slog through all that. Like imagine BG1 after candlekeep giving you 4 fetch quests in 4 locations and no real story progression until you complete those. Fuck what a slog that would be. You’re not really interacting with the world just searching for 4 things. Then you get to chapter 2 in the wilderness and fuck me I can’t be bothered running around the wilderness and caves.
Chapter 2 is another lot of fetch quests and Chapter 3 is the search for the Words of Power, which is, as you might have guessed, another lot of fetch quests...
:happytrollboy:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Call me crazy (in b4 u do :P ), but I liked the NWN OC, at least as far as I played it. To be given an OPEN-ENDED task at the beginning - find the 4 special creatures - it gives a sense of investigation and intrigue. Not only that, you have to use your own smarts to figure out where they are, by questioning people in town, doing errands for folk to possibly get info, and then figure out where the creature itself is. The whole time you're also fighting enemies and doing the regular RPG stuff that is so fun to do. I got to the part where we traveled to Dorn's Deep I think? Or some fortress. And I got distracted there. I want to go back and do a video LP of the whole OC sometime, because I thought it was pretty fly. Not sure what people were expecting here that makes so many dislike it. It feels like a tabletop campaign imo. Cheers guys! :)

Gargaune

Magister
I beat the OC two or three times as a kid, when I didn't know what was what. Then once more last year or the year before, I forget. I'll keep dispensing the standard advice to new players - skip the OC - but the unfortunate reality is I'll probably play it again at some point, once the traumatic memories subside.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember NWN OC being the easiest thing ever. Can't remember a single moment in that game where I had to think or felt even vaguely confused about what to do next, and the combat was my introduction to the concepts of facerolling and Press Button To Win. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it back then though. It was with HotU when I realized "okay, no facerolling or win buttons anymore."

Don Peste

Arcane
6KmcwiP.jpg

Well, don't. DO NOT do it. Don't play it, it's trash, it's fucking trash.

They warned us, but I didn't listen. You can succeed where I failed.

I think I wasted 60 or 70 hours on the OC. There was nothing good about it. I thought at least it would be interesting, to learn how the system works and all that, to prepare myself for the expansions. BUT IT WASN'T NECESSARY.
Please go straight to Shadows of Undrentide.

Just fighting some kobolds in the first caverns in SoU was much, much more fun than anything found in the OC. They even used traps against me (scripted but perfectly fine)!

Throw the OC to the garbage can. Throw it out the window.

PS: I killed the goddamned last boss (no idea who he was nor why we were fighting) and it turns out I was playing with the "Hardcore rules". I guess that contributed by adding some extra pain to the general snoozefest. Surprisingly, only 3.5% of the players beat the fucking OC, and only 1.1% under Hardcore rules ("or harder"!). So now that's the best achievement I have on Steam. Yay!

Want to know my strategy to kill him? First, you want to read point 10.
Shame I didn't stream my session on Twitch.
  1. So, just before the boss, you find a bunch of reptile people. One of them is a shaman. CAREFUL! He will resurrect the others endlessly.
    What you have to do is nuke the shaman, run to his body, loot the key, and run to the following door.

2. Once you open it, a bug should be triggered freezing the remaining reptiles in place. They will just stand there.

3. So now forget about them, but also ignore Morag, the boss, and go straight to that weird rock in front of a summoning circle of reptiles (They are doing some pagan ritual or something, my investigation was non-conclusive).

4. Nuke the rock. Just beat it with a stick. Once it's crushed, you can enter the circle.

5. Kill as many reptiles as you can. Some might be invulnerable to your weapons and magic. If you can't kill them, just leave them be. You will probably be able to kill 3 or 4. That's enough.

6. IIRC you can now talk to Morag. I don't remember what he said, but he then summoned some weird-ass evil monsters. Pretty scary stuff. BUT WAIT! DO NOT attack them.

7. Another bug should be triggered now, making the scary monsters just stare at you like what's happening doesn't go with them. Morag will also just stand there. Save the game now.

8. Nuke Morag, endut hoch hech.

9. After the credits, you will see that you didn't get the achievement. Yes, that's another bug. Reload the game you saved on point 7. and try again. Better luck next time!

10. Don't play the OC.

Yes, that's how I got the achievements. I couldn't beat the reptiles before Morag. My level was too low maybe? Underequipped? Also I was stuck there and with no hirelings. So I used a different strategy. It's a strategy certified by the ENHANCED EDITION with FOUR YEARS of added patches. You need the latest patch to enjoy all the necessary bugs used on this strategy.
lpaSe1G.jpg

VTf7VUZ.png

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
... you wasted 60 to 70 hours on the OC? How? Did you replay it multiple times or something?

My god dude, you should be glad to be still alive.

Don Peste

Arcane
... you wasted 60 to 70 hours on the OC? How? Did you replay it multiple times or something?

My god dude, you should be glad to be still alive.
Probably closer to 60. Steam says I played for 76 hours now. Substract to that the first chapter of SoU I almost finished now. Plus some hours here and there trying some visual mods: Official HD models (updated!), which I can't decide if they are sad or just lazy + one or two GUIs to try to bring a smile to my face once again + a few avatar packs + some time in the character creation screen + Let me thing of something else... I don't know... Yeah, I guess it was 60 to 70, I can't lie to myself. I wasted too many hours. They were just too many. There's something BIG (but good) coming to my life in a few months that will require all my attention and I spent my last hours of freedom playing the OC. That's someting I won't be able to forget. I can only warn others now.
Nevertheless you know what will happen in 2024 o 2025 when I find some free time to play NWN2 right? Yeeeeah I'll go straight to the OC!! Same rock twice... you know the saying.

BTW after browsing and discarding a bunch of avatar packs on The Neverwinter Vault, I saw you can find some good avatars (in my opinion) in the old World of Warcraft TCG. This is the one I'm using now, Lady Katrana Prestor, the human form of Onyxia. Although my character is supposed to be a paladin (she's hot who cares lol)...
Here are a bunch I saved for... a different time:
tdX2Xsu.png
i0MB3SM.png
KaJ1zh9.png
FkxDWiY.png
ixl83QY.png
hzeF6jl.png
CCSUTKl.png
Here is my Katrana saving the mutant soylent-people the evil gnolls had enslaved on SoU Chapter 1
8DB3A04D23306BBFEE5018E126259F611BF91A1C

Cael

Arcane
6KmcwiP.jpg

Well, don't. DO NOT do it. Don't play it, it's trash, it's fucking trash.

They warned us, but I didn't listen. You can succeed where I failed.

I think I wasted 60 or 70 hours on the OC. There was nothing good about it. I thought at least it would be interesting, to learn how the system works and all that, to prepare myself for the expansions. BUT IT WASN'T NECESSARY.
Please go straight to Shadows of Undrentide.

Just fighting some kobolds in the first caverns in SoU was much, much more fun than anything found in the OC. They even used traps against me (scripted but perfectly fine)!

Throw the OC to the garbage can. Throw it out the window.

PS: I killed the goddamned last boss (no idea who he was nor why we were fighting) and it turns out I was playing with the "Hardcore rules". I guess that contributed by adding some extra pain to the general snoozefest. Surprisingly, only 3.5% of the players beat the fucking OC, and only 1.1% under Hardcore rules ("or harder"!). So now that's the best achievement I have on Steam. Yay!

Want to know my strategy to kill him? First, you want to read point 10.
Shame I didn't stream my session on Twitch.
  1. So, just before the boss, you find a bunch of reptile people. One of them is a shaman. CAREFUL! He will resurrect the others endlessly.
    What you have to do is nuke the shaman, run to his body, loot the key, and run to the following door.

2. Once you open it, a bug should be triggered freezing the remaining reptiles in place. They will just stand there.

3. So now forget about them, but also ignore Morag, the boss, and go straight to that weird rock in front of a summoning circle of reptiles (They are doing some pagan ritual or something, my investigation was non-conclusive).

4. Nuke the rock. Just beat it with a stick. Once it's crushed, you can enter the circle.

5. Kill as many reptiles as you can. Some might be invulnerable to your weapons and magic. If you can't kill them, just leave them be. You will probably be able to kill 3 or 4. That's enough.

6. IIRC you can now talk to Morag. I don't remember what he said, but he then summoned some weird-ass evil monsters. Pretty scary stuff. BUT WAIT! DO NOT attack them.

7. Another bug should be triggered now, making the scary monsters just stare at you like what's happening doesn't go with them. Morag will also just stand there. Save the game now.

8. Nuke Morag, endut hoch hech.

9. After the credits, you will see that you didn't get the achievement. Yes, that's another bug. Reload the game you saved on point 7. and try again. Better luck next time!

10. Don't play the OC.

Yes, that's how I got the achievements. I couldn't beat the reptiles before Morag. My level was too low maybe? Underequipped? Also I was stuck there and with no hirelings. So I used a different strategy. It's a strategy certified by the ENHANCED EDITION with FOUR YEARS of added patches. You need the latest patch to enjoy all the necessary bugs used on this strategy.
lpaSe1G.jpg

VTf7VUZ.png
All that to advertise cuckdog's shit. Just fuck off already, plaigarising shill.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, at least the NWN modules were good, and I think it was the first game where I saw user-made custom art in something. You never forget seeing your first strap-on in your inventory.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading this thread is interesting to me, because I have discs for NWN Platinum and know for a fact that I beat the OC, SoU, and HotU. And yet... I remember almost nothing about any of it. Who the fuck is Morag? :lol:

I think my brain is protecting me by blanking out everything it can about that experience.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who the fuck is Morag
The top baddie of OC. Former ruler of a lost civilization that seeks to return by wiping out the new occupants.
Basically a former tenant salty at losing the lease to some real estate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom