Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Poseidon00

Arcane
Poseidon00, you running the new v.83 EE build? I ran into a pretty serious bug and had to roll back, I wouldn't mind an external confirmation if you've got five minutes to mess around in the toolset. I'm gonna test a clean install on my second PC too, but haven't had the time to get to it yet.

Sure, if you want me to test something for you I don't mind

Gargaune

Magister
Sure, if you want me to test something for you I don't mind
Awesome, thanks! If you know the toolset, I'm simply looking to see whether POST_ waypoints affect the orientation of affected characters. You'd have to make an area, put down an NPC loaded with an X2 script set and set a post waypoint tagged with POST_ followed by the tag of the NPC, then just run it and see which way the NPC is facing when they've reached the post.

If you're not familiar with the toolset, here's the step-by-step:
- launch Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition\bin\win32\nwtoolset.exe
- select to create a New module -> Next -> Next -> Area Wizard -> select Barrows Interior -> Next -> Next -> Finish
- right-hand pane, expand Terrain -> select Barrow -> paint a square in the main view
- above the right-hand pane, click the blue circle with a red arrow inside ("Paint Start Location") and paint it inside your tile
- right-hand pane again, select the leftmost red icon ("Paint Creatures"), expand NPC -> expand Other -> select the first Boddyknock and paint him in the upper/northern part of your tile
- right-hand pane one more time, select the rightmost flag icon ("Paint Waypoints"), expand Waypoints -> select the Post and paint it somewhere else in the lower/southern part of the tile
- in the centre view, right-click the waypoint you just placed -> select Properties -> under Tag, replace NW_POST001 with POST_NW_HEN_BOD -> OK
- in the centre view, right-click Boddyknock -> Properties -> Scripts -> Load Script Set -> navigate to Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition\data\scr\default_ai.ini -> OK
- hit CTRL+S to save your module, name it whatever you like
- hit F9 on the keyboard and the toolset will launch a test instance of your module

Now, the expected behaviour here would be that as soon as the level loads, Boddyknock will walk from his starting position to the (invisible) waypoint you placed and will continue facing that way when he's stopped (i.e. south, you can check relative to the compass on your UI). What I found with v.83, however, was that all POST_ NPCs were suddenly facing precisely east.

Does Swordflight have Default nwn trap crafting and potions making?
I've got Craft Trap available, but I've never taken Brew Potion in NWN, dunno.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
nly in a few special cases, but picking locks is often faster and will give you XP, so it is better to deal with locks that way if you have the skills.
On the other hand, a broken door STAYS broken, whereas a picked lock can be locked again.
Door bashing 1 Lockpicking 0.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Awesome, thanks! If you know the toolset, I'm simply looking to see whether POST_ waypoints affect the orientation of affected characters. You'd have to make an area, put down an NPC loaded with an X2 script set and set a post waypoint tagged with POST_ followed by the tag of the NPC, then just run it and see which way the NPC is facing when they've reached the post.

If you're not familiar with the toolset, here's the step-by-step:
- launch Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition\bin\win32\nwtoolset.exe
- select to create a New module -> Next -> Next -> Area Wizard -> select Barrows Interior -> Next -> Next -> Finish
- right-hand pane, expand Terrain -> select Barrow -> paint a square in the main view
- above the right-hand pane, click the blue circle with a red arrow inside ("Paint Start Location") and paint it inside your tile
- right-hand pane again, select the leftmost red icon ("Paint Creatures"), expand NPC -> expand Other -> select the first Boddyknock and paint him in the upper/northern part of your tile
- right-hand pane one more time, select the rightmost flag icon ("Paint Waypoints"), expand Waypoints -> select the Post and paint it somewhere else in the lower/southern part of the tile
- in the centre view, right-click the waypoint you just placed -> select Properties -> under Tag, replace NW_POST001 with POST_NW_HEN_BOD -> OK
- in the centre view, right-click Boddyknock -> Properties -> Scripts -> Load Script Set -> navigate to Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition\data\scr\default_ai.ini -> OK
- hit CTRL+S to save your module, name it whatever you like
- hit F9 on the keyboard and the toolset will launch a test instance of your module

Now, the expected behaviour here would be that as soon as the level loads, Boddyknock will walk from his starting position to the (invisible) waypoint you placed and will continue facing that way when he's stopped (i.e. south, you can check relative to the compass on your UI). What I found with v.83, however, was that all POST_ NPCs were suddenly facing precisely east.

I've got Craft Trap available, but I've never taken Brew Potion in NWN, dunno.

Yup, they end up turning to the east once they hit the waypoint.

Amazing how they messed that up. The fixed path system via the waypoints was one of the easiest things to do.

Gargaune

Magister
Yup, they end up turning to the east once they hit the waypoint.

Amazing how they messed that up. The fixed path system via the waypoints was one of the easiest things to do.
Thanks, man! I didn't pay attention to patrol waypoints when I had v.83 installed but I know there was one in the area I was testing and I didn't notice anything, those are different from Post waypoints. Either way, not cool. Nor is the fact that GOG's changelog hasn't been updated since three patches ago.

d1nolore

Savant
I had a short play around with Swordflight c1. Looks cool; excellent difficulty and seems very engaging.

In terms of character would a cleric play through be as fun as rogue, or best to just play a rogue or multi-class rogue? I don’t mean power wise just in terms of fun. Is there class specific content?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I had a short play around with Swordflight c1. Looks cool; excellent difficulty and seems very engaging.

In terms of character would a cleric play through be as fun as rogue, or best to just play a rogue or multi-class rogue? I don’t mean power wise just in terms of fun. Is there class specific content?

I have provided what I hope is fun content for anything you might want to play. Rogue is generally a promising choice becuase there are lots of uses for skills, but there is stuff for everything else too, including class-specific quests.

Sabotin

Scholar
Remember to type in your deity's name at character creation. I always forget that and have some holes in a few responses. The game itself doesn't enforce it so it's easy to miss.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Remember to type in your deity's name at character creation. I always forget that and have some holes in a few responses. The game itself doesn't enforce it so it's easy to miss.
Heh, I remember the Conan's modules in Nwn 2 would always fill that spot with "No deity"

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, the second you think you are finally safe Swordflight just starts kicking your ass again.

The Govak fight in the dryad grove is absolutely ridiculous. He two shots Snaj, am I supposed to come back later?

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
The Govak fight in the dryad grove is absolutely ridiculous. He two shots Snaj, am I supposed to come back later?
Don't recall any of that, but it's quite possible, the game has encounters you can reach before you're ready. I clearly remember having to do it with the troll in Dark Calimport.

Oh, general tip, doesn't matter how hard up you are for cash, always pack a couple of potions of Death Ward.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Don't recall any of that, but it's quite possible, the game has encounters you can reach before you're ready. I clearly remember having to do it with the troll in Dark Calimport.

Oh, general tip, doesn't matter how hard up you are for cash, always pack a couple of potions of Death Ward.

Yes, that troll was a dirty trick too. Not weak to fire but could only be hurt by fire

Evil sadistic module designer!

Seriously though, consistently great. I was amused that the forest was so big, you really went all out.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Man, the second you think you are finally safe Swordflight just starts kicking your ass again.

Gorav is one of the nastiest opponents in the module. The fight should be doable if you are Level 10+, but may well require some cheesing. Not a fight where you want to hold anything back.

Evil sadistic module designer!

That's about right.

Remember, children - in Swordflight, you are the trash mob!

Indeed. When designing the goblin leaders I was trying to turn the tables and make foes who would cause adventurers to feel like the typical goblin presumably does when going up against adventurers.

d1nolore

Savant
I created a cleric of Myrkul, having fun, the mod is very well done. I’m still chapter 1 at the ruins after the bandits. Those swordspiders were a real pain especially for a level 2, I ended up using a tactic of giving the bard lady a summon scroll to up our firepower. My cleric uses a shadow and heavy crossbow. Finally got to level 3 killing the spiders. Level below should be manageable as a Cleric

Only suggestion I’d make at this stage is improving the summoning system by adding variety of summons perhaps by alignment. The old default summons are dull. There must be a summoning system on the vault that is already balanced.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

Gorav is one of the nastiest opponents in the module. The fight should be doable if you are Level 10+, but may well require some cheesing. Not a fight where you want to hold anything back.

I managed it!

Then I had to kill him again...

And he's still out there somewhere...

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom