Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Eventually I did a clean install of windows and now everything is working correctly. I tried everything else and it made no sense that I got the module might be corrupted error. There's no way it was corrupted, checksum always checked out, it must have been some strange problem my PC was having that affected NWN somehow.

Anyways, I'm just excited to start Chapter 2.
Hot damn, man, that's some dedication! :lol: After all the trouble you went through, you might be the first person ever to qualify Swordflight as "too easy."
Hahaha! It was all worth it in the end! I actually was going to start a knights of the chalice run if I wasn't going to be able to get SF working. I love turn based combat but SF is a different type of challenge and got me totally addicted to it in chapter 1.

I'm a big fan of bg2 and know SF chapter 2 is often compared to it. Chapter 1 gave me a BG series feeling for sure. I've never done an scs run of the BG series, I was thinking of doing that too if SF wasn't going to work but again, I'd rather play SF at this point even though I didn't enjoy nwn and sotu and hotu as much as the BG games.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Eventually I did a clean install of windows and now everything is working correctly. I tried everything else and it made no sense that I got the module might be corrupted error. There's no way it was corrupted, checksum always checked out, it must have been some strange problem my PC was having that affected NWN somehow.

Anyways, I'm just excited to start Chapter 2.
Hot damn, man, that's some dedication! :lol: After all the trouble you went through, you might be the first person ever to qualify Swordflight as "too easy."
I also think it's safe to say SF is the most challenging combat module that exists for nwn1. I posted a topic asking about that on the nwn subreddit, people cited a few modules that had difficult battles at times but no one said there's another module that matches SF in difficulty.

Gargaune

Magister
I'm a big fan of bg2 and know SF chapter 2 is often compared to it.
It's appropriate, Ch.2 did really feel like a mini-BG2 to me as well, and by "mini" I mean I spent some 40 hours on it without having completed everything.

I also think it's safe to say SF is the most challenging combat module that exists for nwn1. I posted a topic asking about that on the nwn subreddit, people cited a few modules that had difficult battles at times but no one said there's another module that matches SF in difficulty.
As a "non-expert", I think it's the most difficult D&D game I've played, on par with ToEE albeit in slightly different ways. Piece of advice - don't get lax with your build through Ch.2. You might feel like you got the hang of it throughout, but you'll really come to reconsider that towards the end, and then Ch.3's opening is straight up murder.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm a big fan of bg2 and know SF chapter 2 is often compared to it.
It's appropriate, Ch.2 did really feel like a mini-BG2 to me as well, and by "mini" I mean I spent some 40 hours on it without having completed everything.

As a "non-expert", I think it's the most difficult D&D game I've played, on par with ToEE albeit in slightly different ways. Piece of advice - don't get lax with your build through Ch.2. You might feel like you got the hang of it throughout, but you'll really come to reconsider that towards the end, and then Ch.3's opening is straight up murder.
Tough to compare toee and nwn but I agree with what you're saying. Honestly toee had a few limitations in the ai that trivialized difficulty. Most glaring one to me is that archers and mages and often clerics won't ever move out of an area of effect spell unless they run out of spells/arrows and then they might come forward to engage in melee but they don't always do that.

Beyond actual combat mechanics, SF has more depth than other DND games I've played just based off the fact that resources are much more important than in other games and there's more limits on rest. In toee, you can always retreat and rest after any battle besides in the elemental nodes.

Im not good at labeling things like this but SF does have an added strategic/survival layer that other DND games really don't and the encounter design is excellent.

As for my build, well, if things don't work out I'll be sure to come back here and bug you guys with more of my noob questions but I'll try to keep it minimal.

FishyGishy

Barely Literate
Hello. Is this a safe place to spam Neverwinter Nights builds? All the build forums are dead. I've also been playing Swordflight a bit.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hello. Is this a safe place to spam Neverwinter Nights builds? All the build forums are dead. I've also been playing Swordflight a bit.
Neverwinternights subreddit seems to have some activity, it does seem like there isn't a very active nwn forum anymore but Im not that familiar with the community.

FishyGishy

Barely Literate
Eh, knock yourself out.
As long as you're rolling barbarians.
I don't like Barbarians very much though... Though I suppose Half-Orc Barb 22/ Bard 1/ RDD 7 would be good though. STR: 18, DEX: 10, CON: 18, INT: 6, WIS: 8, CHA:6 with Greatsword of Course.

Last edited:

FishyGishy

Barely Literate
I've been playing through Swordflight with a Bard 16/ Blackguard 4/ RDD 10 build at the moment. If Swordflight goes to level 40 someday, it'll be something like Bard 26/Blackguard 4/ RDD 10. I pretty much just run around with a greatsword and do a lot of damage while being resource efficient since you can get 58 AC with Bardsong (I'm using Zaralia for this mostly except when she's not in the party)+Mage Armor's Dodge Bonus+Shadow Shield scrolls. With a Shield if I need the extra AC, I get 65. Then I can put on Curse song in the hardest fights to making them a lot easier, and then divine might to end fights even easier. Balor's? They can't hit and it's only a matter of time before they die.

The Saves are huge too. 37+ for all stats thanks to the charisma. This is a really easy build to play with as it's just a melee character that buffs itself and debuffs enemies. You'll really only have a problem if you're not keeping track of your position or making sure you have all the right buffs up and that's for the strongest fights or where you're at risk for stun. The only issues are those demon parties with four or five Gazebros or whatever they're called spamming their missiles early fight. Those can drop you two or three hp pools easily if any spell resistance, etc. fails. And then because I have plenty of Use Magic device levels, I can exploit scrolls for plenty of options. Only requires Lore 8, Power Attack, and Cleave, though I max Spellcraft and Tumble whenever needed to optimize that AC and Spell Resistance.

PsHFf0a.png

I went for Charisma with Tyr's Ring this time even though maybe STR would have been better for the build while I could just use UMD levels to get the Holy Warrior Armor and rely on that for my Charisma bonus. In chapter two, I get to do the bard and Undead turning quests by level 12.

Easy build, it's been before. I just don't go for the Divine Shield (I already have two to three X round/level abilities I use regularly, I don't need more--and besides, I don't need the AC) like the others do and I'm not worrying about overwhelming critical or anything like that.

Epic Character Search

CZgbtlP.png

However I am planning a similar build for my next playthrough to take advantage of the early +4 Two-bladed Sword Drops in Swordflight. But I wanted something more thematic for roleplaying. Tell me what you think

The Battledancer

Race: Elf
Alignment: Non-Evil, Non-Lawful
Ability Scores: STR 14 DEX 17 CON 12 WIS 8 INT 14 CHA 14
Build up to Level 32: Bard 16/Champion of Torm 6/ Shadow Dancer 10. [For levels 33-40, it should be Bard 4/Champion of Torm(4) with Bard levels place appropriately to maximize tumble and spellcraft to 40, and, then to get Lasting Inspiration at level 39 if so desired]

Note: Could go for INT 12 or 10 and take fewer skills in exchange for more STR. But I like my skills. Also, this character is built as a Gish build using Bard as the caster.

Format for build.
Level. Class Name(Class Levels) -- Ability Score Increase: Score to X (If present) // Skills: Skill(Total Ranks in Skill) // Feat: Feat Chosen // Bonus Feat : Feat Chosen [Comments regarding build requirements at this exact level. Multiple classes and levels separated by comma]

1. Bard(1) -- Skills: Hide(4), Move Silently(4), Perform(4), Persuade(4), Spellcraft(4), Tumble(4) // Feat: Dodge
2. Bard(2) -- Skills: Hide(5), Move Silently(5), Perform(5), Persuade(5), Spellcraft(5), Tumble(5)
3. Bard(3) -- Skills: Hide(6), Move Silently(6), Perform(6), Persuade(6), Spellcraft(6), Use Magic Device(1) // Feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency [Proficiency can be replaced with Weapon Finesse for a Rapier Main-hand/Dagger Off-hand build. Also can increase DEX instead of STR for finesse]
4. Bard(4) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 15 // Skills: Hide(7), Move Silently(7), Perform(7), Persuade(7), Spellcraft(7), Use Magic Device(2)
5. Bard(5) -- Skills: Discipline(1), Hide(8), Move Silently(8), Perform(8), Spellcraft(8), Use Magic Device(3)

First five levels, I wouldn't even bother with Two bladed sword. Just Tower Shield and the best one handed weapon for the situation. Thanks to being able to use Shield Scroll, mage armor, and a potion of cat's grace while wearing Chain Mail and Using a Tower Shield, you can easily stack your AC over 28 (you can save that Barkskin potion for later) as a level 2 character. Most things will only have a 5% chance to hit you. Few characters will have a 10% chance or greater to hit you. You really only have to worry about the few casters and characters with disarm/knockdown and buffing your saves where necessary.

Though during Swordflight chapter 1, a third level character is more than strong enough for the entire module. So what I do is I keep my character at level 3 since this seems to be a good level to keep her at and then import this character as a level 3 in Chapter 2. Then, before I level to level 4, I talk to the trainer in the mansion, I read the adventuring books, then I run over to the Scholar's corner and buy every book and read them. Then I pray at the shrines appropriate for my alignment and do whatever quests are easy enough to do at this level. Then I advance to level 4. Then I repeat: Training, bookcases, shrines level. Doing this, you can pretty much "start" Chapter 2 as a level 10 or 11 character. It can save you some pain and suffering during the beginning of chapter 2.

6. Bard(6) -- Skills: Discipline(2), Hide(9), Perform (9), Spellcraft (9), Use Magic Device(5) // Feat: Mobility
7. Bard(7) -- Skills: Discipline(4), Hide(10), Perform(10), Spellcraft (10), Use Magic Device (6) [Now we have the requirements for Shadow Dancer levels]
8. Bard(8) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 16 // Skills: Discipline(5), Perform (11), Spellcraft(11), Tumble(7), Use Magic Device(7)
9. Bard(8), Shadow Dancer(1) -- Skills: Persuade(10), Pickpocket(2), Tumble(10) // Feat: Weapon Focus (Two-Bladed Sword) [I take some pickpocket levels with Shadow Dancer for fun, It's not required for the build]
10. Bard(8), Shadow Dancer(2) -- Skills: Persuade (13), Pickpocket (7) [BAB should be +7 now so we can take Champion levels]

11. Bard(8), Champion of Torm(1), Shadow Dancer(2) -- Skills: Discipline(8), Heal(1)
12. Bard(8), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(2) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 17 // Skills: Discipline(10), Heal(3) // Feat: Ambidexterity // Bonus Feat: Two-Weapon Fighting [Can dual wield now, though you may want to stick with sword+board before you find the +4 sword]
13. Bard(8), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(3) -- Skills: Pickpocket (10), Tumble (15)
14. Bard(9), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(3) -- Skills: Perform (12), Spellcraft(15), Use Magic Device(8)
15. Bard(10), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(3) -- Skills: Perform(14), Spellcraft(16), Use Magic Device(12) // Feat: Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Between levels 15-18 should be when you get to the end of Swordflight Chapter 2 and also when you should see your +4 Two bladed sword. There is a second unique Two-Bladed Sword in Chapter 3 during the main questline. Make sure to get your hands on all the +3 gear you can. However, for armor, you want to use the Bard armor and make sure to get those +3 bard gloves and the +3 monk boots (there should be enough UMD ranks+charisma bonuses to use them) for +6 to dex resulting in 23 DEX total. With cat's grace, you're very likely to get the full +8 DEX bonus in the bard cloth armor. The belt of Strength and Stamina +2 and the Helm of Haste (for permahaste) are good choices as well. I also prefer to max the saves for the bard ring and rely on the ring of royal will+3 for deflection AC. Also, make sure to use Zarala's Bard Song for +5 dodge as needed. You'll be primarily applying curse song as needed.

16. Bard(10), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(4) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 18 // Skills: Persuade(18), Pickpocket(13)
17. Bard(10), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(5) -- Skills: Persuade(20), Pickpocket(14), Tumble(20)
18. Bard(11), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(5) -- Skills: Perform(17), Spellcraft(20), Use Magic Device(10) // Feat: Curse Song
19. Bard(11), Champion of Torm(2), Shadow Dancer(6) -- Skills: Persuade(22), Pickpocket(20)
20. Bard(11), Champion of Torm(3), Shadow Dancer(6) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 19 // Skills: Discipline(12), Heal(5)

21. Bard(12), Champion of Torm(3), Shadow Dancer(6) -- Skills: Perform(20), Use Magic Device(15) // Feat: Lingering Song
22. Bard(12), Champion of Torm(4), Shadow Dancer(6) -- Skills: Discipline(15), Heal(6) // Bonus Feat: Armor Skin
23. Bard(12), Champion of Torm(4), Shadow Dancer(7) -- Skills: Persuade(24), Pickpocket(21), Tumble(25)
24. Bard(12), Champion of Torm(4), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 20 // Skills: Persuade(27), Pickpocket(26) // Feat: Great Strength (STR is 21)
25. Bard(13), Champion of Torm(4), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Skills: Perform(21), Spellcraft(25)

This is about where Swordflight Chapter 3 ends. You should be able to find some +4 gear to upgrade your armor and an even stronger +4 Two-Bladed Sword. AC should be great and AB is pretty good with the buffs available. The biggest concern for the build is its saves at this point though you should have a very high reflex save and decent Will and Fortitude saves.

26. Bard(14), Champion of Torm(4), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Skills: Perform(26), Use Magic Device (16)
27. Bard(14), Champion of Torm(5), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Skills: Heal(10) // Feat: Great Strength (STR is now 22)
28. Bard(15), Champion of Torm(5), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 23 // Skills: Perform (27), Spellcraft(30), Use Magic Device(17) [We now have the option for Divine Wrath]
29. Bard(15), Champion of Torm(6), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Skills: Discipline(18), Heal(11) // Bonus Feat: Epic Weapon Focus
30. Bard(16), Champion of Torm(6), Shadow Dancer(8) -- Skills: Perform (30), Use Magic Device(19)// Feat: Great Strength (STR is 24) [I only feel the need for Perform up to 30 since that's where the point of diminishing marginal returns is for Curse Song/Bard Song].

There are only two or three more levels that could be gotten after this. I go for Shadowdancer to max its AC bonus.

31. Bard(16), Champion of Torm(6), Shadow Dancer(9) -- Skills: Persuade(29), Pickpocket(29), Tumble(28)
32. Bard(16), Champion of Torm(6), Shadow Dancer(10) -- Ability Score Increase: STR to 25 // Skills: Persuade(30), Tumble(35)
33. Bard(17), Champion of Torm(6), Shadow Dancer(10) -- Skills: Spellcraft(35), Use Magic Device(20) // Feat: Improved Critical (Two Bladed Sword) [Could go blind fight too. But I might as well get more crits. Also, this level is here only in case the character actually gets to it.]

Two-weapon fighting with STR only weapons is kind of hard and unfortunately we only have 30 ability points to spend. We can get more STR by going INT 12 and CON 10 or INT 10. But we lose a lot of skill points and we need a lot at the beginning for Shadow Dancer. However Shadow Dancer can be replaced with Red Dragon Disciple allowing much more flexibility as far as ability scores goes and it would be beneficial to go RDD much earlier as well. However, Shadow Dancer does fit the theme of the build.

This build can also be modified to be a Sword+Board build, dropping the Dual Wielding feats and replacing them with whatever is needed or desired. In this case though, you could use the same class progression with the exception that you use STR 16 DEX 14 CON 12 WIS 8 INT 14 CHA 14. You can also use the Elven Chain Mail found in Chapter 2 (it's a +4 armor I think), perhaps Katana (there's a good one found in that Sewer Orcs quest which you can upgrade to +3) as the weapon of choice, and the Spellsword's shield (can be upgraded to a +4 in chapter 4 if you take craft armor levels).

Finally, I stay at CHA 14 in this build since the level 5 and level 6 bard spells are decent, but the ones that the build would use can easily be replaced with scrolls of better spells. The big spells for bard are found in bard spell levels 1-4 like Mage Armor, the Stat buff spells, Ultravision+Darkness combo, Keen Weapon, Greater Magic Weapon, War cry, and Improved Invisibility.

I also neglected concentration. But Concentration 25 with Improved Combat Casting would be great for a couple of the bard spells though I would prefer to use the bard spells for buffs before fights, run away if needed, then keep going until I run out of bard spells. Perhaps persuade and Pickpocket could be dropped for it.

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
However I am planning a similar build for my next playthrough to take advantage of the early +4 Two-bladed Sword Drops in Swordflight. But I wanted something more thematic for roleplaying. Tell me what you think...

The trouble here is that the reason I gave players early access to good double-sided weapons is because double-sided weapons are actually kind of a bad choice, so I was trying to make them a bit more viable for the benefit of players who wanted to use them just for the fun of it. Basically you have to take four feats (Exotic Proficiency and the three dual-wielding feats) so you can give up both the shield AC bonus and the extra two-handed STR bonus...and even if you are committed to doing all that dual-wielding kukris (better damage against everything not crit-immune, finessable if a DEX build and better chance of getting Devastating Criticals if a STR build) probably makes more sense.

But assuming we do want to try out dual weapons just for fun we can consider your build. Some thoughts on it:

Why are you starting with DEX 17? Since you plan to be a STR build, it seems those 2 ability points might be better spent increasing STR, or maybe even CHA. You only need DEX 15 to get Ambidexterity, and can probably max out light armor DEX AC with item bonuses + Cat's Grace spell/potion.

You have 15 BAB at Level 20. You really want to figure out a way to get another COT level in pre-epic, so you can get 16 BAB pre-Epic for 4 Attacks per Round. Dual-wielding is all about maximizing APR.

You are taking the Discipline skill, and apparently will only have 18 points in it at Lvl 30...any attack roll high enough to get through your AC in the first place is going to easily beat such low discipline, so it is probably not worth it. It might occasionally help you out on natural 20 hits accompanied by a Knockdown or such, and there are occasional scripted checks against Discipline in Swordflight, so a case could be made for it, but both of those are rare cases so probably you should spend those skill points on something else.

I am not sure Lingering Song is the best feat choice at lvl 21. If you eventually take Lasting Inspiration you will render Lingering Song mostly redundant. Also, as a rule, you want to try to take epic feats in epic levels,.

On that subject, it would also be good if you could find a way to take Improved Critical pre-epic, and if possible take Overwhelming and Devastating Critical at some point. Blindfight and Toughness are also very good feats to have if you can fit them in somewhere.

Considering several points above, possibly you want to take fewer Shadowdancer levels and more COT levels. The main reason one would take 10 Shadowdancer levels is to get Defensive Roll and Improved Evasion so as to qualify for Epic Dodge without Rogue levels, but as you are not a DEX build you cannot get Epic Dodge anyway, so you do not really need that many, though giving them up will cost you a few skill points.

A possibility to consider would be replacing COT with Ranger, since you intend in any case to be using light armor, so as to get the dual wielding feats free, as well as perhaps the Animal Empathy skill which has many uses in Swordflight. You also would need a lot less Dexterity that way as Rangers get the feats free and do not need a minimum dexterity (DEX is not doing that much for you here anyway, as, again, you can max out light armor AC w/items/Cat's Grace). The main downsides are that you would have to take at least nine levels to get Improved Two-weapon fighting, presumably at the expense of Shadowdancer levels (though you might want more warrior class levels for more BAB anyway), and that neither Ranger or Bard is a favored class for Elf so that would likely give you an XP penalty for that race. As you would not need much DEX with Ranger you could replace Elf with Human or Half-elf if you are just using Elf for the DEX bonus. If you want to play specifically as an Elf for some role-playing reason though you would need to keep Ranger and Bard levels in balance (resulting in fewer Bard levels ultimately).

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been playing chapter 2 quite a bit, just getting into the city gates area. Initial thoughts, im falling in love with the writing and story, enjoying the RP elements, enjoying the exploration. Calimport looks great, it's amazing what one man achieved here. Of course I get that feeling of playing BG 1+2.

Encounter design is great and so far, slightly less brutal than chapter 1 but I'm sure I'll be doing a lot of reloading at some point soon.

Ive read some of the criticism about SF, most of which is completely ridiculous and is really about disliking aspects of NWN, not this particular module.

Also while some criticize the difficulty, I find this is mostly because they don't have a thorough understanding of the mechanics/ruleset of nwn. Rogueknight333 is presenting us the best challenge he can within the confines of nwn. He also has clearly made things easier than they could have been with his itemization and game economy. Of course players will still complain and criticize no matter what.

Another complaint is that certain builds won't work. Well, my understanding is this module has been thoroughly playtested with different builds. Looking at the comments of players on nwn vault, there are quite a few who have completed the later chapters with different builds and not to be harsh but it seems from the comments that some of them don't have that deep of an understanding of the nwn ruleset but still got through it.

Anyway, quick side note on my character, I decided to just take sorcerer levels from here and realize more sorc levels will make a much stronger character. So the plan is just to be at cleric 1/paladin 3/sorc 36 in a hypothetical lvl 40 build.

Also, I'm enjoying the alignment system. Typically in DND games you didn't have that much choice to actually play your alignment and to roleplay a bit. In BG for example, you could be lawful good to get the powergaming benefits and just do anything you want in the game and if I'm not mistaken, the only way your alignment would change would be based on choices you made in TOB.

I'm not against RP it's just that, if I wanted to sit and imagine myself roleplaying while playing a video game, I'd just skip the game and try to play pnp DND on my own. SF is actual, interactive RP through dialogue and the situations presented. Also I like that there are darker themes explored in the module like slavery, human sacrifice, racism, even rape, etc.

The history of DND really intrigues me and although Gygax lied and denied obvious Tolkein influence, early DND was strongly influenced by sword and sorcery pulp stories like the writing of Robert E Howard and others.

DND can be what you want it to be, it can be a high fantasy epic quest like the work of Tolkein or it can be a brutal campaign about a group that are essentially mercenaries coming together for the common goal of murdering monsters and pillaging the dungeon they reside in for loot.

SF has elements of both styles for sure. This is actually a great storyfag game but if course those of that ilk won't come anywhere near this but they are really missing out.

Disregard my previous attempts to categorize this game, I'd say it's a tactical Rtwp rpg that's more focused on a solo experience vs a squad experience but there's elements of both. The emphasis on resource management makes it seem almost like another genre because you just don't see that in other RPGs.
Another thing, great walkthrough. Yes I consider reading the walkthrough cheating and I am a meta gaming cheater but as long as I don't actually use cheats or cheese to beat the combat encounters, I'm ok with it.

I'm really enjoying my time with the game and will definitely make another long post that no one will read after I complete chapter 2.

Oh and one quick question, how far can you slip from being 100 lawful and 100 Good before your alignment actually changes? Not sure if this is explained somewhere and I missed it.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Are you willing to reveal what the Persuade check is for a Paladin to do the Fighter quest?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Are you willing to reveal what the Persuade check is for a Paladin to do the Fighter quest?

There would be no point in trying to be secretive about it even if I wanted to, since anyone with any knowledge of NWN building can just open the module in the toolset to look up information like that. The trouble is that to save myself some time I use scripts that alter conversational skill check DCs based on the player's level, and the formula is a little complicated (and I have also tweaked it a bit in different modules in the series). That particular check uses the script to generate a "difficult" DC. IIRC correctly the formula to generate the DC for that in Ch. 2 would be: PC Level + (PC Level/4.5 +1) + 17. Your Persuade skill + simulated d20 roll would need to beat whatever DC that formula generates. The Persuade skill naturally includes any bonuses from CHA, items, etc., and you should definitely be trying to boost the skill by equipping relevant items, using an Eagle's Splendor spell/potion etc. when attempting the more difficult checks.

Turn_BASED

Educated
I managed to pass the check with my barb’s intimidate. Make sure to chug a CHA potion and I’d recommend buying the mask of eloquence (it’s called something like that, it’s gold) from the merchant district to bump your social skills by +2

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks guys, yes I typically will reload also to get the max benefit from potions and scrolls. Some may find this tedious but I don't mind and typically only buff stats before a big fight.

I did the Undead Turner quest and afterwards ended up with 25 Cha and reloaded quite a bit to hit 30 from a potion and that got me Persuade 12 at lvl 8 and I passed the check the first time then used divine might to defeat the golems. Strange thing was, they started the fight by trying to cast Dismissal but I had no summons. After casting Dismissal they'd cast Dispel and sometimes I had to rebuff, sometimes I'd make a save.

How does dispel work exactly? Is there no defense until you reach a certain caster level?

notpl

Arbiter
Dispel is just 1d20 + caster level vs 11 + caster level of the spell effect. So Swordflight's level 20+ casters are going to effortlessly dispel anything you've got pretty consistently until you're epic yourself, and if your buffs come from a potion or scroll they don't have a prayer.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Dispel is just 1d20 + caster level vs 11 + caster level of the spell effect. So Swordflight's level 20+ casters are going to effortlessly dispel anything you've got pretty consistently until you're epic yourself, and if your buffs come from a potion or scroll they don't have a prayer.
Good to know. Do most powerful casters have true seeing also? I have improved invisibility from my familiar and have just snuck up on the casters I've had to face so far.

notpl

Arbiter
Generally any powerful opponent is going to have freedom of movement + true seeing at a minimum past a certain point.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Generally any powerful opponent is going to have freedom of movement + true seeing at a minimum past a certain point.
Right, how do enemy casters react to aoe like ice storm? This will be my first time taking on casters in nwn with my own arcane firepower. Do they often use acid sheath?

also, how effective is spell mantle from a scroll?

Last edited:

notpl

Arbiter
The spellcasters mostly spam instant death and the irresistible spells (bigby's, magic missile and its offshoots, etc) in my experience.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, golems never disspelled me. I just realized that dispel strips all buffs away and the only defense is caster level. Also I think I may have let my familiar stick around and maybe they were casting dismissal because of that.

I'm just getting to the goblin quests after completing the orc quests almost at lvl 10 now, curious if I will encounter any enemies with blind fight.

I don't think the orc shaman or ogre mage had true seeing. Having improved invisibility from familiar, flame blade and a +3 great sword early on has been great so far. The divine shield and might feats have helped a lot also. My AC with Holy Warrior armor +2 ends up over 40 before big fights. My saves after arcane and undead turner class quests are also very high.

Another side note, orc battles were very fun, enjoyed the heroes aspect, reminded me of classic fantasy strategy games. Some very good companion dialogue as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom