Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://youtu.be/8jzSJNU3yHg

Replayed it and killed him by actually hitting him but also ran away quite a bit. Fun encounter. I loved ch.3, can't wait for 4.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wait a minute, so my character sheet isn't accurately reflecting my ab? So my actual ab is much lower?

Another point of humility....

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, a reddit user that has completed chapter 5 is convinced that my AI is different than his and that the Doomknight should have been attempting many more knockdowns.

If I'm not mistaken, rogueknight said that the AI wouldn't be different on EE and also that Mazara was not supposed to have knockdown anyways. Not sure why this player insists this is the case but I may be missing something, yet again.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Then he mentions cep again but that isn't supposed to affect AI either I thought. Either way, I think I rubbed this player the wrong way at some point.

He argued against my cleric lvl and said I should have taken rogue instead, I disagreed because I wanted the divine s/m feats asap. Now, whether or not I should have taken those is a different conversation but I didn't see much value in 1 rogue lvl instead.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
AFAIK, EE did not alter the AI, but I have not exactly been closely tracking everything it changes. Mazara does have the Knockdown feat, but normally it makes no difference that she does since the default AI mostly does not use the feat. She might start using it if someone uses some sort of custom AI. The Doom Knight uses my custom AI by which he should occasionally attempt Knockdowns. They are attempted somewhat randomly, so if you kill him quickly, as you did, he may well not have many opportunities for the appropriate random numbers to come up. If one is using the Community Patch, and possibly if using other AI customizations, he might well spam knockdowns continuously.

CEP does not affect AI, but the Community Patch (sometimes referred to as CP) does, and has been known to cause issues with Swordflight, in part precisely because it does. Possibly either you or your interlocutor got those mixed up.

Rogue levels are always good for skill dumps, especially Tumble skill dumps, which is not to say no other class is ever better (highly contextual).

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks and the player in question keeps saying CEP and had said previously they don't have the community patch so who knows.

They had come up with an interesting build that when around lvl 30 was rogue 3/ pale master 1/ wizard 20 something. It had higher AC and much higher hp than my build with 1 less attack and lower ab.

I'm surprised I was able to continue with melee all through chapter 3, the player also said that my ab and ac would be too low to continue melee in ch4 and beyond and I imagine they're right.

Im just starting ch.4 now and I think I will "respec" my spell foci to evocation as soon as I reach an encounter that I can't overcome with melee.

Another oversight, I didn't buy what I think was called a bladesingers shield early on in ch.3, I still have a dwarven +2 shield from ch.2 that doesnt cause arcane spell failure.

Another issue is I didn't take the maximize feat which I would imagine is a disadvantage for a blaster sorc but maybe this is a disadvantage my PC can overcome.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://youtu.be/mmQ3xMj6D_g

Derro Savant fight, didn't use any offensive magic or time stop or disjunction, didn't even use the best tactics, just wanted to see if I could win the fight this way with minimal reloading, well, I succeeded.

I also put up the elder elementals fights for anyone who wants to take a look. I did get knocked down once by water elementals. I didn't even need to use true strike much, yet I was also tempted to take the armor skin feat at lvl up but instead took my first great charisma feat.

An issue raised on my YT channel, i believe you become immune to drown ability with shadow shield, wiki confirms this, a player who has completed chapter 5 disagreed. I'm almost certain they're mistaken on this.

Last edited:

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I didn't even use greater spell mantle from the mage killer shield or spell mantle spells/scrolls for this one just to see if it could be done. I was partially debuffed but have so many buffs up it wasn't that big of a deal, the savant did use greater spell breach but not disjunction.

The frosthammer is my new weapon of choice due to on hit slow. I'm guessing it spawned as a Warhammer because my first lvl was as a Cleric.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
anyone one knows how can you adjust yours and companions aligment ? i seem to recall doing that previously via console in Swordflight module, if anybody remembers would be useful

Sabotin

Scholar
anyone one knows how can you adjust yours and companions aligment ? i seem to recall doing that previously via console in Swordflight module, if anybody remembers would be useful
You can try this, found after a short vault search: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/neverwinter-nights-alignment-manager
I don't think there's any non-custom way otherwise. I'm also not sure exactly how this mod works but I'd guess it's best to install->make changes->uninstall to avoid any conflicts.

About the xp penalty, does it work for ALL xp gained or only certain types? Swf modules have plenty of scripted xp gains for example, does it even affect those?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not sure, I just know I'm a bit under lvld but I never tried to grind lvls, just did as many quests as possible and finished them as thoroughly as possible.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... An issue raised on my YT channel, i believe you become immune to drown ability with shadow shield, wiki confirms this, a player who has completed chapter 5 disagreed. I'm almost certain they're mistaken on this.

Depends what you mean by "drown." Water elementals have a special "Drown" ability by which they sacrifice some of their HP to insta-kill any target that fails a save. Death Immunity, whether from Shadow Shield or some other source, nullifies this. However, some of my Water Elementals can also cast the Druid spell "Drown," which inflicts 90% of the target's HP as bludgeoning damage on a failed save, and which Death Immunity does not protect against.

Is there any point in taking another Cleric lvl to negate the multiclass xp penalty?

The point would be precisely to negate the XP penalty, which is not strictly necessary but might well be worth doing.

About the xp penalty, does it work for ALL xp gained or only certain types? Swf modules have plenty of scripted xp gains for example, does it even affect those?

It affects all XP gained, from whatever source.

You can try this, found after a short vault search: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/neverwinter-nights-alignment-manager
I don't think there's any non-custom way otherwise. I'm also not sure exactly how this mod works but I'd guess it's best to install->make changes->uninstall to avoid any conflicts.

Yes, there is no simple way to do this, unfortunately, and I am not sure that or any other character editor utility could be used on henchmen. If you have any familiarity with NWScript, it would be possible to write a custom script in the toolset to make whatever adjustments one wants, put it in the override, and run it with the "dm_runscript" console command.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is the door to the thrall pens on lvl 2 of the illithid stronghold supposed to close and lock you in? Happened to me and I couldnt figure out how to get out so I just teleported out of there.

Also, having fun with illithid fights but after beating the Ulitharid I was thinking, is there any way to resist the big physical damage they do? Is it like a touch attack? looking at wiki and not clear on this.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks! and it looks like you can't save for half damage, correct? the save is related to getting knocked down and having your wis stat drained but protection from evil will stop that from happening, you're just going to still take the damage

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Is the door to the thrall pens on lvl 2 of the illithid stronghold supposed to close and lock you in? Happened to me and I couldnt figure out how to get out so I just teleported out of there.

No, that is not supposed to happen. There tends to be a delay of a second or two when you operate the lever controlling the door before it actually opens and closes, so maybe you hit the lever, went through, and then the door closed behind you, or maybe it is some weird EE bug.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I also got locked in when going through the door that leads to the island on lvl 2
Also was not able to interact with that window in the observatory room, wasn't able to use that rope for anything either, not sure of I did something wrong there or again it's an EE bug.

Another thing I noticed, sometimes when entering the rooms with illithids and with some of the gladiators, there's a brief delay before they aggro. I had to reload these fights so I noticed it didn't always happen,sometimes they would aggro immediately, sometimes it took them a second or 2.

I'm a sporting fellow myself so I gave them a fair chance to start attacking first but I found that odd vs other encounters. I'm assuming this is also an EE bug.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Got through the beholder warrens, good thing I have high saves. I had read something about them constantly shooting isaacs at you, I didn't encounter that too much. Also, beholders didn't follow me after I aggrod them. One encounter in particular in order to get a pair of the eyes, I killed one, ran then went back to kill the others. Not sure if this is intended, I imagine it would be.

another thing, it seemed like every time they were shooting something at me that didnt work, it was a single ray shooting at my pc, when the dispels actually worked it was a bunch of circles being shot at me. Are those 2 different attacks?

The combat log wasn't picking up all of the attacks the beholders were doing, I'm trying to recall if it picked up any of them, I usually ended up dead in a second or 2 if I was dispelled.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://youtu.be/9HS-flkPxlk

Balor pillar fight

Used tensers with divine shield/might and acid sheath, it worked pretty well, fun fight. having a lot of fun with ch.4, havne't used any offensive magic yet, my melee/ac is holding up well.

Tensers is useful for surviving the barrage of isaacs the glabrezu shoot at you haha

Last edited:

rogueknight333

Arbiter
...another thing, it seemed like every time they were shooting something at me that didnt work, it was a single ray shooting at my pc, when the dispels actually worked it was a bunch of circles being shot at me. Are those 2 different attacks?

The combat log wasn't picking up all of the attacks the beholders were doing, I'm trying to recall if it picked up any of them, I usually ended up dead in a second or 2 if I was dispelled.

The Beholders have two separate types of eye attacks, one is launched from their large central eye and dispels any magical buffs you have (the "bunch of circles' you describe) , and the others are launched from their various smaller eyes and do a variety of things, kill, petrify, inflict damage, etc.. Many of these may not affect you depending on what immunities you have, though you will tend to be highly vulnerable after getting your protective buffs dispelled. Some of these eye powers are custom scripted so the game engine would not have a built-in notification for the ability itself, though the combat log should note it if you take damage or make a saving throw.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
One thing I forgot to mention in the past is that I appreciate the lore embedded into SF.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe towards the end of Ch.2 Zarala references dragon slayer turned king of Turmish, Corwin Freas. I thought that was a nice touch. SF got me reading up on FR lore and unfortunately, codex lead me to find out what a pervert Greenwood is......

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Another random thought, I believe it was ch.2 where rogueknight reflects his views on morality and what being "good" means, which is actually in opposition to Gygax's views, when you are given the choice to either kill or spare monstrous babies and their mothers.

Gygax felt like killing monstrous babies or defenseless monsters or monsters who had redeemed themselves and "converted", if you will, to being "good" could be murdered by a "good" character, it would be a "good" act, lawful good at that.

Just something I found interesting and forgot to mention in the past.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom