Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Brimruk

Educated
Is Swordflight something that a relative newbie to NWN/the ruleset in general can enjoy or would I be better off starting with other modules first?

I've played through NWN 1/2 and have some ideas about how to build a character that 'works', just wondering if I'd be turbofucked from the get-go
Swordflight doesn't require any special mastery that you're likely to lack. It's just really, really hard - you will hit walls and think "oh, no, I must have built my character wrong" when in reality it's just supposed to be that hard and you're probably going to die a fair bit. If you use all the tools available to you (henchmen, potions, scrolls, wands, enchanted gear, etc.) to their fullest then almost any character can probably get through it. It's a question of how much you enjoy ramming your head against a door a few times before you can get it open more so than how good you are at the game.

While I agree with KainenMorden that Swordflight also has lots of other lovely things going for it, combat is the focus. And many of those other things are done better in other modules if you're looking for any one of them specifically, though Swordflight is probably the best total package available for NWN.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking of asking in my head but just couldn't formulate well!

I enjoy trying out different tactics with a given character, recently had an evening of BG1 Ice Island shenanigans where I *knew* I could clear it without losing anyone I just needed one more tweak/twist, so I'm glad to hear the module series is more of that rather than 'sorry, you should've used your stat-up on Dex not Str five levels ago, too bad you're fucked'

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Was wondering if someone could help me hunt down a particular modding resource. Namely, there used to be an arcade machine placeable hosted on the NWN Vault, I seem to vaguely remember it was part of a D20 "modern" HAK pack.

This pack contained an arcade machine, pool table, vending machines and office-like furniture. Tnx

It is probably in here somewhere, but might be hard to find that specifically given that there are hundreds of placeables in the hak.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just did bandit commander. I think improved invisibility is just too good.

Not seeing much of a difference between armoured and monk robes. Perhaps I should have stuck with full plate and Scimitar.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well guys, just realized something very important.

So the past 3 chapters, I thought the cure serious wounds potions were actually the cure severe wounds potions. This explains why it seemed like I couldn't heal myself in battle and is also why I used up so many heal potions in some of the tougher fights.....

Yes, quite an oversight. Once again, I am humbled by SF and just have to laugh at how I could possibly make this mistake. I think part of the reason I love SF so much is because it reminds me of playing the classic rpgs my childhood/early teenage years and I made quite a few dumb mistakes back then as well.

Alas, some things never change....

hkt

Novice
Just did bandit commander. I think improved invisibility is just too good.

Not seeing much of a difference between armoured and monk robes. Perhaps I should have stuck with full plate and Scimitar.
Monk robes become insane if you have craft armor. You can craft an armor bonus onto them which they usually lack from what I remember.
After that it's no contest, 8+1dex AC full plate vs your 11wis + 3dex mod.

Mine is becoming a small novel.
Untitled.png

You destroyed him with that blade barrier never seen him die that fast. :lol:

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
I've got magic vestments so I get +5 on robes anyway was trying to think what's better.

5 attacks with a Greatsword/Scimitar buffed with darkfire and 1d12 lightning/sonic OR Kama with 8 attacks and the same. Might have to do some testing after I finish Ch 3.

notpl

Arbiter
I've got magic vestments so I get +5 on robes anyway was trying to think what's better.

5 attacks with a Greatsword/Scimitar buffed with darkfire and 1d12 lightning/sonic OR Kama with 8 attacks and the same. Might have to do some testing after I finish Ch 3.
Magic Vestment *should* stack with +5 armor bonus on robes, since the former is an enhancement bonus to armor and the latter is an armor bonus (equivalent to the base armor value of full plate, for example, so a +5 full plate is 5 enhancement and 8 base, the robe is 5 and 5). But I don't remember if this is modeled correctly in NWN.

Sabotin

Scholar
Base armor bonus is only what the armor itself gives (so 0 for robes), everything else is the enchantment part of the armor bonus (magic vestments, mage armor, bracers of armor, etc.). Just one of nwn peculiarities.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Wow I really should have tried this before finishing chapter 3.

This is gonna be very useful. I think it'll pay for itself in XP and then some.

TMF4j1G.jpg

Up to level 4 spells. Hmm I wonder what else is good to use?

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
An issue raised on my YT channel, player said his AC is 50+ and an enemy with an ab of 38 who didn't roll a natural 20 hit him and wondered how that could be.

Anyone that actually understands the math that goes into these things care to answer?

Sabotin

Scholar
I'd guess it was either touch attacks (which ignore armor/shield/natural) or even more likely he was flat-footed (which ignores dex/dodge/tumble). Practice your footwork! xD
You can use the console command "dm_enablecombatdebugging 1" to show roll composition (not sure it covers 100% everything though).
a2ftu04.jpeg

In the end it could always just be a bug. At least for me, when there's lots of things happening, effects/math/animations seem to start desyncing a bit.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Now that I'm approaching epic lvls, I have regretted taking spell penetration, I still haven't used an offensive spell and actually would have preferred to have taken spell focus necromancy and then great spell focus necromancy to then take epic spell focus necromancy as my first epic lvl feat.

Yes, technically cheating but I am already a cheater, I already metagame and I don't see this as cheating since I didn't use spell penetration to my advantage at any point in this playthrough.

Is there any way to switch feats? I've read you can use a debug menu to basically start the character over and then do all the lvling again?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
You can use the dm_giveXP console command to lower your levels by entering a negative number as the XP to give, and then use it again to give the same XP as a positive number, allowing you to "respec" your character. You cannot alter any feats, skills, etc. given at lvl 1 this way though. If you are not familiar with using console commands, you first need to enter "Debug Mode" by hitting the tilda key ("~") and then typing and entering:

DebugMode 1

When done using whatever "cheat codes" you can enter:

DebugMode 0

to leave this mode.

You could also use a character editor like Leto.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Just did the monk arena with my monk1/clericX. That was really tough.

I'm starting to get shredded by things a little bit. I'll see how far I can go.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok I will give that a try. do you think there's a better school of magic to focus on? I just think necromancy is cool in general and will be a way to deal with large groups of enemies as time goes on because I assume my DPS won't hold up in later chapters the way it does now.

Also, is mordenkainen's disjunction much more powerful than the Holy Avenger property when it comes to dispelling?

Sabotin

Scholar

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Well with ice storm and greater isaacs, there is no way to save against it so does spell focus work against spell resistance that an enemy might have? That's something that I'm not clear on.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Am I missing something, is there no place in ch.3 to buy mage armor scrolls?

Just finished up the the gnomish contraption quest and clearing out the sewers before heading to the last forest area, I already did all the other side quests. Very well designed encounter down there with the sea hag, the dwarven burial quest was fun also those slimes are really annoying haha I didnt bother trying to use any magic on them. I didn't respec my feats yet, I still haven't had to use offensive magic so we'll see how it goes from here. My plan would have been an epic spell focus right now anyways so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything just yet.

After that, I'll just be taking Great charisma. I'm leaning towards necromancy the more I think about it but we will see.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The half-elf woman in the northern part of the Zazesspur market district should sell mage armor scrolls.

If you are only casting buffs and not offensive spells then spell focus feats are going to be pointless. As a rule either necromancy or evocation are the best schools to take spell focus in, as they both have lots of offensive spells that it is possible to save against. Enchantment could be good too if only so many critters were not immune to mind-affecting. Other schools generally have too few offensive spells to bother with Focus feats, though there are some NWN players who like to Focus in Transmutation and use Flesh to Stone to take out lots of creatures otherwise immune to save-or-die stuff.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok thanks and I imagine as the game progresses my PC will not be as effective in melee and will need to start casting spells. I'm curious to see how effective time stop combined with melee will be but I will see how the end of chapter 3 goes.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
So far I'm not impressed with my performance in Ch:4. I'm not dying but the fights are getting difficult. Just beat the Balor... But I had to heal myself three times.

Here is the white dragon from Ch:3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom