Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

rogueknight333

Arbiter
Uploaded revised versions of Ch. 2 and Ch.5 that fix the issues with the Hrangarak & Gunkruzelle quest (Ch.2) and the EE Forcefield doors (Ch. 5) mentioned earlier in this thread, among others.

In other news, in response to various suggestions, I just opened a Patreon account if anyone really wants to financially support this project, and possibly other modding projects I may or may not attempt in the future. I intend to complete Swordflight regardless and doing so hardly leaves me time to produce anything else as backer rewards (I will try to come up with something if I get any response), so it is not much of a Patreon. But if you really want to give me your money for some strange reason (and at least several people have claimed they do) I am no longer going to stop you.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Uploaded revised versions of Ch. 2 and Ch.5 that fix the issues with the Hrangarak & Gunkruzelle quest (Ch.2) and the EE Forcefield doors (Ch. 5) mentioned earlier in this thread, among others.

In other news, in response to various suggestions, I just opened a Patreon account if anyone really wants to financially support this project, and possibly other modding projects I may or may not attempt in the future. I intend to complete Swordflight regardless and doing so hardly leaves me time to produce anything else as backer rewards (I will try to come up with something if I get any response), so it is not much of a Patreon. But if you really want to give me your money for some strange reason (and at least several people have claimed they do) I am no longer going to stop you.

Have you considered one of those websites that allow people to donate in one off lump sums. Some people prefer to fork over a few euro without the membership overhead.

I've donated to people using https://ko-fi.com/ before, though I can't vouch for it other than that.

Gargaune

Magister

Have you considered one of those websites that allow people to donate in one off lump sums. Some people prefer to fork over a few euro without the membership overhead.

I've donated to people using https://ko-fi.com/ before, though I can't vouch for it other than that.
You can use Patreon for lump sums, just sub and remember to cancel the next month. Just did it, can't cut a monthly but Swordflight's worth the price of a DLC, so Merry Christmas and all that!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron

You can use Patreon for lump sums, just sub and remember to cancel the next month. Just did it, can't cut a monthly but Swordflight's worth the price of a DLC, so Merry Christmas and all that!

Yeah I guess I'll just do that so. Merry Christmas Rogueknight you legend. :-D

Also, I think you can just sign up and cancel straight away to avoid forgetting about it.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Also, Aielund Saga is my Christmas RPG. Definitely another one worth checking out.

I'm really enjoying the straight laced nature of the setting, feels like proper vanilla fantasy. Some of the sequence breaks I ran into in Act 2 were pretty annoying but they didn't hurt my enjoyment too much.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
For 7th lvl spells, I've been using shadow shield and spell mantle throughout the module but not sure what the best pick for a 3rd spell would be. I took banishment but have made limited use of it.

I was thinking of taking finger of death but have no spell foci feats outside of evocation and noticed some enemy casters employ shadow shield so I'm not sure how useful it would be.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What about 9th lvl spells? I have been RPing as lawful good but I'm flexible when it comes to alignment since I'm much more of a power gamer.

I took time stop which I believe is essential and mords disjunction and wail of the banshee.

I had previously taken gate which I think might be better for my PC and overall play style than wail but of course that means that my alignment will become evil eventually.

My spell casting stat(Cha) is currently 42.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Timestop, Wail, Black Blade of Disaster
I don't know how high the saves of the mobs are, perhaps the DC of wail will be enough with a CHA of 42, perhaps not

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Current situation: After a save in the dead magic zone, all subsequent save games will not load: there is insufficient disc space to perform this operation. Any ideas? I deleted my other saves and restarted my pc, didn't do anything.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I thought I'd buy the EE in the GOG sale to play thorough Luke Scull's modules again. Bought that as the official DLC on GOG and then went to install the PRC (player resource consortium) on it, and the PRC module updater doesn't recognise it as a mod.

I was just gonna play thorough the originals with NWN Diamond, but I lost my folder install from years ago with everything working. And who can be bothered to track all that shit down again? CEP V1x, PRC V3.2, and then remember how it all fits together in order. Fuck off. Don't wanna play (NWN) it that much.

So I thought "Spend a few bucks on the EE, it must all be simpler now right?". So I try installing 'A Hunt Through the Dark" in the traditional way and... the game doesn't recognise it. And I can't play it on the EE menu.

Then I installed the first chapter of that mod with the Beamdog downloader and installer and...it says there's a file missing and doesn't install.

After several reties it eventually works and now...the PRC module updater doesn't recognise that module either.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
So I thought "Spend a few bucks on the EE, it must all be simpler now right?". So I try installing 'A Hunt Through the Dark" in the traditional way and... the game doesn't recognise it. And I can't play it on the EE menu.
Dunno about the PRC or AHTtD in particular, but the only thing that's changed with the EE's manual installs is using your Documents folder instead of the install directory. Copy your files in their respective folders and the modules should show up in New -> Local.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Dunno about the PRC or AHTtD in particular, but the only thing that's changed with the EE's manual installs is using your Documents folder instead of the install directory. Copy your files in their respective folders and the modules should show up in New -> Local.

Yep it all seems ok now. I think I put everything in the install folder. But everything installed manually in the documents folder is fine. Luke Scull actually mentioned that in his SOS release which modders never do. Hilariously I installed AHTtD with the Beamdog installer and then tried to get it going with the PRC, and it couldn't find it. So I restarted the game and it isn't installed anymore. I just give up with Beamdog.

Does anyone know what's going on with the premium modules? Specifically where the GOG/Steam installers put them? Because it looks like the PRC team haven't accounted for this and I can't run them with the PRC updater. In other words: where do the premium modules install?.

Gargaune

Magister
Does anyone know what's going on with the premium modules? Specifically where the GOG/Steam installers put them? Because it looks like the PRC team haven't accounted for this and I can't run them with the PRC updater. In other words: where do the premium modules install?.
I haven't installed modules from Beamdog's new content browser yet, just manually, but the install structures I have are like this:

1) on the DE:
- you could install modules locally in either /modules/ in your Documents space or in the install directory's /modules/
- the campaign files were in the install directory's /nwm/
- premium modules went into a new folder in the install directory called /premium/

2) on the EE:
- you're supposed to install local modules in /modules/ in your Documents path, but you also have a /data/mod/ folder in your install directory which ships with some PMs like Kingmaker or bonus/test modules which end with the .mod extension
- the campaign files are in the install path in /data/nwm/
- PMs like WCoC or the new TotM, which end in the .nwm extension, are also in the install path's /data/nwm/

So I'd say check the extension on what you're installing and try shuffling things around between those three locations.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Gargaune A most prestigious reply, thanks and happy new year. It's exactly that - if you go to /data/nwn/mod you have the bonus modules like Witch's Wake and contest of champions in the normal format.

Then if you go to /nwn/data/nwm you have all the modules that end in this .nwm format. Including Tyrants of the Moonsea & Darkness Over Daggerford premium modules. Sticking them into the Documents/NWN modules folder will get them to appear in the game's 'local' menu, and they're working.

Unfortunately they still don't work with the PRC, but I suppose you can't have everything. If they were just formatted as normal mod files they would be compatible. But I suppose that would be expecting Beamdog to recognise the greatness of the PRC pack (and how players like me consider NWN incomplete without it) and to actually put some effort in.

I highly recommend it by the way: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortium-419

Sabotin

Scholar
The in-game downloader works with sqlite databses (in documents/nwsync folder), not traditional .mod/.hak/etc structure. So you can't really do anything with installations through it. I guess they just wanted to make it easy and save disk space for modern users? Some people don't know how to navigate explorer or copy/paste. For the official modules not being recognised, have you tried just renaming .nwm to .mod? Actually, I'm not sure how up to date they are, but check these: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/prcified-premium-modules

The move to documents folder iirc is because of some windows security thing, something about permissions in program files folder or somesuch, I can't realy remember exactly. I don't like it either, but what can you do.

If you wanna have files at different places you can edit the filepaths inside nwn.ini. For example I've ponted the diamond install to use same module/hak/patch folders as EE to avoid double installing and save some space, while still having separate saves to avoid overwriting and incompatibilities.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The in-game downloader works with sqlite databses (in documents/nwsync folder), not traditional .mod/.hak/etc structure. So you can't really do anything with installations through it. I guess they just wanted to make it easy and save disk space for modern users? Some people don't know how to navigate explorer or copy/paste. For the official modules not being recognised, have you tried just renaming .nwm to .mod? Actually, I'm not sure how up to date they are, but check these: https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/prcified-premium-modules

The move to documents folder iirc is because of some windows security thing, something about permissions in program files folder or somesuch, I can't realy remember exactly. I don't like it either, but what can you do.

If you wanna have files at different places you can edit the filepaths inside nwn.ini. For example I've ponted the diamond install to use same module/hak/patch folders as EE to avoid double installing and save some space, while still having separate saves to avoid overwriting and incompatibilities.

That did it. I'm a bit of a dimwit when it comes to this sort of thing and just deleted the extension, but renaming it works perfectly, and it's recognised by the game in 'local' and by the PRC.
:bro:

Gargaune

Magister
The in-game downloader works with sqlite databses (in documents/nwsync folder), not traditional .mod/.hak/etc structure. So you can't really do anything with installations through it. I guess they just wanted to make it easy and save disk space for modern users? Some people don't know how to navigate explorer or copy/paste.
I doubt it's anything to do with end user accessibility, they could've had the client auto-download assets into the Documents /hak/ or /module/ folders as easily as downloading DBs. In fact, not having used the Content Browser, that's what I was assuming it was doing. I'm not really sure what the rationale is for the switch, maybe something to do with their distribution infrastructure or indexing/tracking the assets.

That's been standard practice in Windows for donkey's years now, going back to either Vista or 7. User Account Control will typically prevent applications from writing into the Program Files path, which is where games default on setup, so developers fell in line in with the user space in Documents. I don't really take any issue with that and it's not much of a change for NWN anyway, since the DE already supported the user space approach. If anything, I'm irritated with Microsoft's more recent practice, where videogames start littering my drive in various other user space locations, like the Saved Games folder or bloody AppData.

KainenMorden

Educated
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Resolved the issue earlier and to clarify, the error was: there is insufficient hard disc space to perform this operation. it also took a long time to save in the dead magic zone after that error came up and another save never worked inside the zone but when I got out , I was able to save and then load those new saves. The game also crashed at one point.

This was going to ruin my mood for new years haha. Anyways, happy new year to the codex nwn crew.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Not gonna do a whole in depth post, but in typical Beamshit fashion, they release the EE version and all the irritations of the original game are present. HIPS from Shadowdancer is still shit when the PRC had it sussed with the Assassin class. They still haven't bothered to address all the complaints about summons dividing your XP up. I thought they might throw crafters like me a bone and make resources available from smashed objects like in HOTU. Invisibility is still glitchy - take a potion to escape the enemy on your tail, and they still know where you are.

Other things escape me atm. And the graphics were overhauled?. Were they?.

Luke Scull (quality guy, did a readme and pointed us towards a texture pack) https://neverwintervault.org/projec...l-hakpak/beamdogs-hd-art-pack-community-fixes

But not sure I wanna mess with it. He states in the readme it's a bit glitchy even on powerful systems. I assume this is a texture pack released by Beamshit and then the community took it over and fixed it?. I mean, it's right there in the title. Watta buncha cunts. :lol:

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
It's true, I switched to EE for the Aiuland saga and the only real difference I noticed was the extra crashes. Also numerous cases of getting stuck on the terrain that I didn't seem to have before.

Graphics might be a bit shinier but nobody plays NWN for the graphics in any case, will probably switch back to DE for the next module I try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom