Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Arc Line - Arcanum-inspired, modern Party-Based RPG

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
The port of New Arc. Millions of immigrants, mages and technologists, arrive here by steamboats and zeppelins searching for a better life

FVNLTuqX0AIJj7W

Aarwolf

Learned
How many of you faggots come here and say nigger nigger nigger everyday would dare say it in front of your boss or customers?

Dude, I work for government organization led by someone who is known to be a proud supporter of Opus Dei and Ordo Iuris. Do you think that would put me in any trouble?

Magic vs. Technology

The central conflict between magic and technology defines both the lore and mechanics of the New Arc Line. There’s no middle ground - where one is present, the other falls short. You will have to make a choice and it won’t be easy.

If magic & technology are mutually exclusive, why are mages and technologists flocking to the same city, let alone on mechanical transportation?

Modron

Arcane
Obviously some super dense ultra pressurized steam canister like in Steamboy. It's not like any of the various automatons in Arcanum had visible boilers nor the mechanized armor despite being a machined plate with a whole steam engine incorporated into it somewhere.

Brancaleone

Prophet
Obviously some super dense ultra pressurized steam canister like in Steamboy. It's not like any of the various automatons in Arcanum had visible boilers nor the mechanized armor despite being a machined plate with a whole steam engine incorporated into it somewhere.
If you actually go and watch Arcanum's schematics and and compare the Machined Plate with the Elite platemail, you'll see that the various pieces of the Minute Steamworks have been incorporated into it (granted, not in an overly realistic way): you have the wheel on your chest, a cylinder on top of your midsection, three pipes connecting the various elements. and so on. The automaton's chest is actually a huge boiler-like cylinder with what looks like a pressure gauge, the arachnid's body is a rearranged Small Steam Engine (even clearer when you look at both automaton and arachnid in your inventory).

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I've been thinking for some time, why oh why does majority of modern gaming's art style, RPG genre included, looks...off? Weird in a wrong way. Not...believable? Yeah, not believable is right combination of words. And I think I finally figured it out. It's all about starting point. Arcanum and majority of pre-2010(?) games had for their art style, and thus general vibe that would be felt by player, as their starting point: Real World. Arcanum/Baldur's Gate/Fallout - all of them and many more took Real World and transported it to somewhere fantastical, or added fantastical to Real World or simply asked radical What If(s)? and changed Real World into something completely different. But in all those instances, Real Word was FOUNDATION on top of which New Fantastical World was built. That's why you believed those fantastical worlds were real. That hasn't been the case for quite some time

It's obvious Legend of Korra, post-modernist Californian early-SJW setting, was starting point for these guys. Not Real World

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I repeat my question to the Devs:

"What is a woman?"

How fucked up and truly sad is that your country is burning and you're fighting for bright future which makes1984 look as children colouring book

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
I've been thinking for some time, why oh why does majority of modern gaming's art style, RPG genre included, looks...off? Weird in a wrong way. Not...believable? Yeah, not believable is right combination of words. And I think I finally figured it out. It's all about starting point. Arcanum and majority of pre-2010(?) games had for their art style, and thus general vibe that would be felt by player, as their starting point: Real World. Arcanum/Baldur's Gate/Fallout - all of them and many more took Real World and transported it to somewhere fantastical, or added fantastical to Real World or simply asked radical What If(s)? and changed Real World into something completely different. But in all those instances, Real Word was FOUNDATION on top of which New Fantastical World was built. That's why you believed those fantastical worlds were real. That hasn't been the case for quite some time

It's obvious Legend of Korra, post-modernist Californian early-SJW setting, was starting point for these guys. Not Real World
The proportions are off and they make it difficult to imagine how exactly the mechanisms in the game would work. Even if the explanation for everything is "magic" or something like that, you should be able to imagine how objects interact with each other to constitute bigger functioning mechanisms or the world won't be engaging.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The proportions are off and they make it difficult to imagine how exactly the mechanisms in the game would work. Even if the explanation for everything is "magic" or something like that, you should be able to imagine how objects interact with each other to constitute bigger functioning mechanisms or the world won't be engaging.
Overall art style ain't that bad. Better then 90% of shit coming from America. I'm just not sure whether the size of their balls is big enough to have believable Steampunk setting based on 19th century mores. Not early 21st century's idiotic non-problems. They're from burning country, Ukraine. Best art is forged in fires of death and misery. Couple of good written games could come out of Ukraine. Or it could be watered down cocktail of different SJW propagandas. Like anything that came out from Poland in last 5 years. So we'll see

Brancaleone

Prophet

A cryptid is a being about which is not possible to prove whether it actually exists.
Here apparently a cryptid is something that you are unsure about the motives.

But Arcanum had a cryptid (not that we know what it means), so let's copy Rosine and call it a cryptid (and a day).

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned

Most of the 90's pc games used prerenders, hece the realism. Today's indies couldn't be bothered to implement textures into their games, so they use unordinary proportions to pass as an "artstyle".

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Overall art style ain't that bad. Better then 90% of shit coming from America. I'm just not sure whether the size of their balls is big enough to have believable Steampunk setting based on 19th century mores. Not early 21st century's idiotic non-problems. They're from burning country, Ukraine. Best art is forged in fires of death and misery. Couple of good written games could come out of Ukraine. Or it could be watered down cocktail of different SJW propagandas. Like anything that came out from Poland in last 5 years. So we'll see
America sets a very low bar nowadays. Why are Eastern European devs worried about manufactured American political obsessions anyway?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom