Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix New Crawler "Dungeon Encounters" by Square Enix, budget lower than the rpgcodex server costs

Amurada

Educated
Bros, can Valtoro fly over pits?

I just got to the 80s. I've been slowly making my way floor by floor, not bothering to jump ahead with G Descension or anything. I fell into a pit with no tile beneath it, now I'm trying to find all my wanderers.

I gave up on the math puzzles after number 7 or so. The decimals of pi was... uhh... I could possibly be reasonably expected to figure that out I guess (I didn't). But periodic table substitution? The square root of 2? Superbowl scores?! Movie references?!

No. Since number 10 or so my policy is, find the riddle and look up the answer immediately. I'm still doing Map riddles the old-fashioned way though.

Still having fun, just toodling along. I'll probably beat it in a day or two.

Never tried, but I doubt it. This game is very spartan about what mechanics are implemented where. Most of the game design's dynamics center around two primary themes, exploration of the labyrinth via Traversal Skills, and the particulars of ranged values in relation to battle damages and properties. The game balances to scale from what you experience in the first 10 floors of the game. Anything related to character specific capabilities is simply delegated to a few exclusive equips doled out mostly through puzzles, and the distribution of Proficiency Points (encumbrance), that is usually frontloaded in such a way, that you can equip an assortment of items three 'ranks' currently 'above your weight class' in regards to an assumed linear progression of the labyrinth at any given point of time. And while I would love an expanded upon traversal system in the next title - if we're blessed with one - having something so narrow that can bar progress pretty severely, with the sole funnel being one specific character that happens to be found in a single designated spot would hamper the exploration this game offers; and if we want exploration on a much more complex scale to be implemented into the next entry, it would be a mistake to implement such a mechanic.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Need to go back and finish it before troubleshooter patch. Sitting on 60s - i was distracted by ddo favor farming.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Loving this game so far. Do the stores ever get new equipment? I've just reached the second set of levels and its the same stuff its always had.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Check the Beastiary. Each monster's card had two versions of Common/Rare: Drop, and Shop.

Anytime you kill a monster it checks once for each item to drop, and once for it to be stocked in all shops. In my experience the chance for something to stock is much much higher then chance to drop. This is one really big incentive to try taking on encounters you know are a lot harder then normal; even if you don't get a drop from the fight, there's a very good chance the item will show up in the appropriate shop, especially if you kill 3+ of the monster.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Started playing this after Grauken sent me an early Christmas present and disappeared.

It's surprisingly fun. I was on the fence about it, but I think I'm hooked -- it's simple, but elegant enough to not fall into the boring territory.

Not sure if it's good for longer sessions, but I like that I can get my fill by playing for an hour before going to bed.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I just picked this up as a Xmas present to myself. Enjoying it so far.

The character designs remind me of the cover art of the 1980s version of the Dungeon! boardgame from TSR. I wonder if that was intentional?

dungeonfront.jpg

Casual Hero

Augur
Please tell me there is a way to recover people from the Interdimensional Rift. :(
Edit: Oh, so he was just sent to a random location in the dungeon and set as "Wandering"? That's... awful.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please tell me there is a way to recover people from the Interdimensional Rift. :(
Edit: Oh, so he was just sent to a random location in the dungeon and set as "Wandering"? That's... awful.
I was lucky. It happened only once. I thought it was awful, but I found my bro pretty quickly.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Been playing this on all the various plane flights I have been doing around the place; pretty fun game but I wish they had made some discernible, fundamental differences between characters.

Does anyone think we will ever get a Dungeon Encounters 2?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been playing this on all the various plane flights I have been doing around the place; pretty fun game but I wish they had made some discernible, fundamental differences between characters.

Does anyone think we will ever get a Dungeon Encounters 2?
I hope we get a sequel, or just any game by Ito, really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom