Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Cologno

Educated
i fucking hate liara, blandest character bioware has ever made and that's saying something
Her voice acting is not bland though. In fact it feels a bit creepy, but I can't pin-point exactly how.
Yea yeah, That combination of "come hither", seductive, and bunny boiler rolled into one.

Yosharian

Arcane

Cologno

Educated
i fucking hate liara, blandest character bioware has ever made and that's saying something
Her voice acting is not bland though. In fact it feels a bit creepy, but I can't pin-point exactly how.
Yea yeah, That combination of "come hither", seductive, and bunny boiler rolled into one.
Almost like she's a fucking alien or something
True, amd you can fuck her too, but I had more in mind SHODAN (who tries to rape you on different levels, or as far that bitch was concerned - different plains of existence).

9ted6

Educated
Liara was fine when she was a "bland" nerd scientist, but still connected to the plot. Everything after Mass Effect 1 for her is a disgrace. Also got a book job like every other female
She got the Leliana treatment.

Fine character in the first game, mary sue developer pet with massively contrived importance in the sequels.

Camel

Scholar

Fine character in the first game, mary sue developer pet with massively contrived importance in the sequels.
Liara was the writer's pet in all 3 games and she was removed from the team in ME2 so she can't be killed in the Suicide mission. Many BioWare fans complained about a preferential treatment she got. Leliana can be killed in DA:O and had a miniscule role in DA2, she's hardly a writer's pet.
Most of Mass Effect's companions are bland. Jack, Samara and maybe Mordin are the only ones who jump out to me as having some sort of personality that isn't either extremely overdone elsewhere or just bland. For a series with so much dialogue and character moments, we barely know anything about our squad mates.
Garrus is an ultimate bro and Wrex is great, Mordin has a compelling arc in ME2-3.

Most of Mass Effect's companions are bland. Jack, Samara and maybe Mordin are the only ones who jump out to me as having some sort of personality that isn't either extremely overdone elsewhere or just bland. For a series with so much dialogue and character moments, we barely know anything about our squad mates.
I have to disagree with this, the character writing is what carries the series past ME1. ME2 is a pretty straight forward heist setup with sci-fi window dressing, not a bad story just very simplistic, and ME3 is a total trashfire of a story. The one saving grace from a writing perspective is most (not all, at least half of the human party members are godawful boring) of the squad members are interesting and likable in their own ways.

With that being said keep in mind I'm speaking relative to video game writing, which I don't hold to a very high regard and significantly lower my standards for.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The one saving grace from a writing perspective is most (not all, at least half of the human party members are godawful boring) of the squad members are interesting and likable in their own ways.
Tell me anything about the squadmates I didn't mention which doesn't have to do with either their race as a whole or their quest.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Liara was the writer's pet in all 3 games and she was removed from the team in ME2 so she can't be killed in the Suicide mission. Many BioWare fans complained about a preferential treatment she got. Leliana can be killed in DA:O and had a miniscule role in DA2, she's hardly a writer's pet.
Yes, because letting you kill a character then resurrecting her for a sequel is much better than what they did with Liara...

Elttharion

Learned

Garrus is an ultimate bro and Wrex is great, Mordin has a compelling arc in ME2-3.
The fact that you can kill Leliana and she comes back anyways kinda proves his point.

The one saving grace from a writing perspective is most (not all, at least half of the human party members are godawful boring) of the squad members are interesting and likable in their own ways.
Tell me anything about the squadmates I didn't mention which doesn't have to do with either their race as a whole or their quest.
You can mention pretty much any squadmate from ME2 or 3 and I could list out several characteristics that make them unique, likeable, and interesting. There are of course exceptions to this like the black guy in ME2. Excluding traits related to their alien species is silly imo, that's like saying Spock is a bad character because being Vulcan is his most defining characteristic.

Again, think relative to video game writing and especially popular RPG games, and you'll start to realize the first two Mass Effect games are probably in the top 5 or so when it comes to party members and how they're written.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Top 5 best companion writing in video games in no particular order - KotOR2, New Vegas, Mask of the Betrayer, Spellforce 3 and its expansions, PlanetEscape: Tournament. Bioware games aren't even in the top 10, including BG1/2.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Mass Effect 1 and 2 treat their characters very differently but neither are close to "top" companion writing ever.

ME1 doesn't care about personal shit. It's very consistent, where you need a companion for something, which leads you to another, and another. All are connected to the plot in a major way and you couldn't have done it without (most of) them. You'll get bits and pieces of their personality still, but it's weighed down by Liara and Tali being lore dumps for their species. Wrex and Garrus are great though, same with Ashley. Kaiden, Liara and Tali all have their moments either way though, especially considering this isn't some personal adventure.

ME2 is a Mashup of people completely disconnected from everything going on (expect Mordin) and 80% of the game revolves around them. This is the easiest writing, they're not shackled by a plot and were free to write any shit they wanted to so that's how you get Jack, Kasumi, Thane, etc. Despite barely having restraints, they rehashed daddy issues for multiple characters, had barely any interaction between anyone, wrote some characters completely out of place in the ME setting, the list goes on. It was a failure in both plot and character writing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Bioware are at their best with the companion writing when companions interact with each other, rather than with the PC with whom they are extremely milquetoast in their responses. However, there's barely any of that in the ME franchise. I think DA2 has the best companion writing out of all of Bioware's catalogue and that's because they often clash with each other and they bring out each other's personalities and differences to the forefront.

Camel

Scholar
Yes, because letting you kill a character then resurrecting her for a sequel is much better than what they did with Liara...
The fact that you can kill Leliana and she comes back anyways kinda proves his point.
A possibility of Leliana's death during the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest shows that she wasn't that important when developing the first game. She has a miniscule role during a side quest in DA2. So I fail to see how she's a writer's pet like Liara.
It’s like how, when I say that Leliana is the most common romance in DAO—by a significant margin—fans are sometimes surprised. She doesn’t get the most discussion, after all, and that discussion isn’t the loudest (unless one counts the whining of the “but I cut off her head!” bunch)
All this is really just to say that “most fan requested” doesn’t really amount to much, in terms of the larger picture. Oh, that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the fact a particular character has fans… it’s nice to see people get excited, and that excitement can be infectious, but that’s never going to translate into us doing big things solely to make that group happy. There has to first be a reason to have that character present, and them having fans is a nice added bonus…but personally I’d be just as happy if the character had no fans, or was even considered unpopular. It’s a chance to develop the character further.

That reason need to be there, after all, and needs to be the driving motivator for what we’re doing. Otherwise we’ll bring a popular character back only to ruin them.
https://the-gaider-archives.tumblr.com/post/109290880723/on-character-popularity
Gaider wrote this and then proceeded to bring Leliana back in DA:I and promptly ruined her.

Top 5 best companion writing in video games in no particular order - KotOR2, New Vegas, Mask of the Betrayer, Spellforce 3 and its expansions, PlanetEscape: Tournament. Bioware games aren't even in the top 10, including BG1/2.
You could argue the companion writing in BG1 was so bad it basically didn't exist (granted I never played the newer version that added in a bunch of new characters and can't comment on whether or not they're any good)

9ted6

Educated
A possibility of Leliana's death during the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest shows that she wasn't that important when developing the first game. She has a miniscule role during a side quest in DA2. So I fail to see how she's a writer's pet like Liara.
She's arguably the most important character in Inquisition and is the favorite of the new lead writer.

I think he specifically mentioned liking to use her to show how dumb he thinks religion is and if that's true then she's not just a pet but a literal mouthpiece.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Tbh, a religious rogue with varied sexual proclivities is an interesting character and could've been very thought-provoking and even profound, but her writer/s don't have any experience with any part of that so it falls flat.

rubinstein

Educated
oh so im not the only who appreciated the trolls? the trolls were surprisingly well written for nu-spellforce standards. for modern gaming standards even. i binged through sf3 around 2 years ago, and the only thing i remember is the troll squad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
oh so im not the only who appreciated the trolls? the trolls were surprisingly well written for nu-spellforce standards. for modern gaming standards even. i binged through sf3 around 2 years ago, and the only thing i remember is the troll squad.
The trolls were awesome, but most of the companions in the whole SF3 "trilogy" are surprisingly well written. Soul Harvest and Fallen God are well written in general and have very strong stories. SH is the more profound of the two, but Fallen God is very character-driven and even emotional.

Elttharion

Learned
She's arguably the most important character in Inquisition and is the favorite of the new lead writer.

I think he specifically mentioned liking to use her to show how dumb he thinks religion is and if that's true then she's not just a pet but a literal mouthpiece.
In Inquisition she can be a ressurected prophet + divine + spymaster + mary sue super assassin. She is also super popular among the dikes in the bioware fanbase/staff + writers. She might not have been a literal pet in the first game but she is definitely one in the third.

ChildInTime

Learned
New Spellforce games have better writing than most of the games released in the last 10 or so years, lol. Though I personally didn't enjoy the troll expansion, Soul Harvest was great though.

Nah, not putting Mass Effect in there is criminal, plot is shit but the characters make the journey memorable. Also - say whatever you want, but companions in all DA games were pretty well written, even those that were disliked like Sera or Vivien, Dorian is the only time I actually thought the character being gay was done alright instead of some shitty pandering. Bioware still had some of their mojo even back in 2014.

9ted6

Educated
All this is really just to say that “most fan requested” doesn’t really amount to much, in terms of the larger picture. Oh, that doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the fact a particular character has fans… it’s nice to see people get excited, and that excitement can be infectious, but that’s never going to translate into us doing big things solely to make that group happy. There has to first be a reason to have that character present, and them having fans is a nice added bonus…but personally I’d be just as happy if the character had no fans, or was even considered unpopular. It’s a chance to develop the character further.

That reason need to be there, after all, and needs to be the driving motivator for what we’re doing. Otherwise we’ll bring a popular character back only to ruin them.
https://the-gaider-archives.tumblr.com/post/109290880723/on-character-popularity
Gaider wrote this and then proceeded to bring Leliana back in DA:I and promptly ruined her.
This is prophetic for Inquisition and the post Origins franchise as a whole. They kept bringing back characters and ruining them.

Leliana goes from repentant chantry nun who believes in the maker despite people discouraging her to assassin shadow broker who thinks believing in the maker is retarded even if you kept her on the repentant path or killed her in Origins.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom