Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Silent Hill Announced

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
"Trauma" in rainbow coloring :salute:

forme.jpg

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Silent Hill 2 remake confirmed to be shit

https://twistedvoxel.com/silent-hill-2-remake-origin-story-pyramid-head/

Silent Hill 2 Remake Will Feature A Special Origin Story Involving Pyramid Head​

Muhammad Ali Bari

Konami’s upcoming remake of its classic survival horror title, Silent Hill 2, will feature a special origin story involving Pyramid Head.
According to the product details on Best Buy Canada‘s pre-order listing for Silent Hill 2, the remake will feature fan favorite character, Pyramid Head, who will make a return along with a special origin story for fans to play through.

The expansion of Pyramid Head’s backstory may not sit well with the art director for the original Silent Hill 2, who had previously shared that he wished he hadn’t designed the character. He chose to remain silent (pun not intended) on the reason behind his statement. Regardless, Pyramid Head has developed a cult following over the years, and fans should be delighted to hear that the remake will feature brand new content based on the character.
Previously, it was reported that the Silent Hill 2 remake is “100% bigger” than the original 2001 survival horror game. The information came from Dusk Golem (aka AestheticGamer), who is known for his sources in the game industry. His statement suggested that the remake will be lengthier and greater in scale/scope. In addition, Golem stated that he had heard about the Silent Hill 2 remake’s release date a couple of weeks earlier, but was waiting for details to be more concrete before he shared anything on this front.
Silent Hill 2 is an upcoming survival horror video game developed by Bloober Team and published by Konami. The game serves as a remake of the 2001 classic of the same name, which was originally developed by Team Silent, a group within Konami Computer Entertainment Tokyo (KCET). Following the storyline of the original game, players assume the role of James Sunderland (portrayed by Luke Roberts), a grieving widower who returns to the eerie town of Silent Hill after receiving a letter from his deceased wife, Mary. According to her letter, she awaits his arrival there. The game is set to be released for Windows and as a timed console exclusive for PS5.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I remember pyramid head as being one of the weakest enemies in horror. You get trapped in a little room with him and he's so slow and shitty that he can't hit you as long as you walk away while he's trying to swing the giant cleaver with his noodle arms. Then as I recall he even gives up and runs away in shame after slicing at the air for a while. I have no idea why everyone goes apeshit over pyramid head.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember pyramid head as being one of the weakest enemies in horror. You get trapped in a little room with him and he's so slow and shitty that he can't hit you as long as you walk away while he's trying to swing the giant cleaver with his noodle arms. Then as I recall he even gives up and runs away in shame after slicing at the air for a while. I have no idea why everyone goes apeshit over pyramid head.
Because he was great story-wise being James' guilt, not because he was a cool boss.

toughasnails

It's that the design is p memorable, independent of his role in the story. He's likely that one thing from Silent Hill games that those who never played them might recognize. Plus all the imitations he has spawned since...

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Konami has said that the preorder description was incorrect, probably a bad translation. If anything it’s in reference to something like Born From a Wish. They’ve made claims it will be “faithful” while also being a much bigger game, I wouldn’t be surprised if they expand on it and release it as a dlc/expansion..

Personally I didn’t care much for BFW, but it had some nice moments

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
reminder that silent hill 2 gameplay is weak in general (but it doesnt matter)

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Ohhh, this is like that bullshit in high school where they'd make you read a book and then ask something like "what did the duck represent in the story?" and then they'd try to tell you that you're wrong when you answer "It represents a duck, the animal from nature".

To me, he's just a big dopey blind guy with a sword that he can't use properly.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ohhh, this is like that bullshit in high school where they'd make you read a book and then ask something like "what did the duck represent in the story?" and then they'd try to tell you that you're wrong when you answer "It represents a duck, the animal from nature".
This is why corporal punishments should be reinstated.

Not just in schools, but in general.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Wait, why aren't they remaking Silent Hill 1? It was excellent. 2 was even better, but 1 is worth remaking first. Because it comes first. Duh. What?

Ash

Arcane
Because the majority are fags with zero taste and standards that never played far superior horror games, of which there are many including the original Silent Hill.

To me, he's just a big dopey blind guy with a sword that he can't use properly.
You're not wrong, really, as this is pseudo-intellectualism at its finest. The events of the game eventually coming together into a meaningful story conclusion = masterpiece in dullard's eyes. Never mind the fact we just went through ten hours of banal, boring, shit, bland, uninspired, stupid events and what I would loosely call gameplay to get to this "meaningful" conclusion. Never mind all the hundreds of games with meaningful story conclusion that don't suck complete ass otherwise. Never mind the original game which is better in every way. Never mind the fact the game isn't scary at all if you have any testosterone produced in those tiny balls. Never mind the story being shit and lame anyway, guilt is by far the weakest human emotion this is fucking retarded. But OMG, the enemies have dildos! Mind blown! Wow, so mature! Never mind everything in the game SUCKS, is peak "ludo-narrative dissonance", and mostly all merely only serves as a vessel to that end game story conclusion/implication. Never mind it retconning the town or phenomena of Silent Hill into some lame personal retarded hell of a sexually frustrated fucktard. It only makes sense if you're a soy-drinker that has never had any pussy in your life.

Literally the #1 example of all the pseudo-intellectual storyfag sissies in gaming with zero standards in anything. If it means they can pretend to be smart because they understood the ending, then it's good. No, a masterpiece. To these people, games can only be art if gameplay is gutted, sacrificed and purely in service to the story. Never mind that by doing so the story is undermined in every way that matters moment to moment (e.g game is piss easy = not scary, not immersive, which in turn undermines the story).

The real nightmare is this reality. Here's some symbolism for you lame soy boys:
cringe.png

Well now I have an idea: someone should mod this POS game to photoshop the reddit alien head on top of pyramid head. It might get a slight increase in horror factor. :incline:

Last edited:

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
SH2 didn't retcon anything, and the point isn't to be 'scary', least of all through 'gameplay'. And of course Ash doesn't understand guilt, otherwise he'd feel it about his own behaviour. CRINGE!!

Yet another future SH dev methonks

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
SH1>SH2>SH3>SH4

Pretty straightforward decline (followed by being set on fire and kicked off a cliff into a bottomless pit of spikes and acid countless times)

SH3 is very nice technically but it's not really super interesting.

lightbane

Arcane
What's that thing supposed to be? A NPC of the weird CYOA video-thing, or a new NPC for SH2? As for why SH1 isn't remastered, you answered your own question: It's the best of the saga and it would probably be too much work to remaster it.

toughasnails

The sword represents a rotator cuff tear that James got when he stopped to play tennis on the way to silent hill
Nay, it is not so. The sword of course represents his fear of castration by his father, the sword being a phallic symbol and its enormous size representing the relationship of power between him and his father, the pyramid being a solar hence masculine symbol.
He desired to posses his mother sexually and so he projected her onto all the women in his life whom he desired. As his mother was unobtainable she became an ideal object of desire hence he always wished to kill the other women in his life so as to raise them to the same ideal, unobtainable status. His mother and his wife are thus doubles.
Pyramid head is the crystalized, super-charged symbol of all this repressed content.

Sunri

Liturgist
Yes, the game was overanalyzed over the years does it make it bad no maybe other games should put something in to make the player think about the story for more than five minutes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom