Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas, hard core mode and mods

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
To keep in line with my ongoing descent into complete decline, i've decided to lift New Vegas off some inventory. Now, two questions. Hard core mode is grayed out. I hope its not some shit you can activate only after finishing the game. If not, how the fuck you turn it on? Also, any mods i can lift off Fallout 3 that i can use with this? Anything i need to know to make the game less popamole?

CrimHead

Scholar
The game will ask you if you want to activate hardcore mode during character creation.

No such mods, yet.

racofer

Thread Incliner
rp_evocity2_v1p0042.jpg

hiver

You should be able to turn it on after youre done with doc Mitchell opening.

There are several nice mods/tweaks over at vegas nexus.
Havent noticed any popamoles yet, though.

JrK

Prophet
Normal isn't very hard so far... Except for the deathclaws. I don't know how easy it is supposed to be.

Next playthrough, definately going for very hard and some mod to give fewer XP, as well as a hardcore-hardcore mod. I hope by then there are a few non-betas for that.

hiver

Im playing hardcore-hard and its pretty well balanced like that.

racofer said:
So... I seem to recall you showed us your significant amount of mods for oblivion and FO3 some time back, I don't know if you're the right man to comment on this issue...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I play on normal with hardcore mode activated and it's pretty good. Some enemies are fucking hard (Broc Flower Cave with the fast moving giant rats are deadly, I'll have to return there at a later level; those giant wasps are fucking hard to hit and hit hard too; encountering a deathclaw = FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU) and I'm always short on ammo.

Ancient

Erudite
imo head-shot should do more damage , but head would be harder to hit.
for example 2x head-shot dmg and hitting chances ranging from 1-70%.
As shooting someone in the head few times(humans) is just ridiculous

JrK

Prophet
What is your skill with your weapon of choice? Maybe that makes a huge difference... EDIT: this question was for Jarlfrank. As for the headshots, I don't find that a problem.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
on normal hardcore the enemy I had the most problem with was early radscorpions.

if I play this a second time I'm going to go melee/highDT build. on hard of course.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Been playing this, p. cool. Hardcore mode isn't that much of a big deal as was pointed out everywhere, but still water can be a pain to come by sometime if you don't stock on it.

Although Lyric suite is faux-elite, I still approve of this new New Vegas thread

Ancient

Erudite
Excidium said:
Does difficulty affect anything other than damage and experience?

It doesn't affect experience , it only affects enemy HP and damage

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fuck, been playing fore a few minutes but the popamole is strong. Skills have been gutted and that stupid psychological test made no sense. Goddamn consolized inventory is a fucking disgrace too. Objects do not even have icons associated with them, you have to read the name of every stupid shit you have. Leave it to Bethesda to try to dumb things down and end up making things harder in the process (the style of the pip also makes everything harder to see in the first place). Walking around town now, feels so... desolate. No atmosphere whatsoever. Engine looks fucking weird too, though at the very least drawing distance is handled relatively well. Really wish i was playing any of the originals right about now (which i might do, this is not boding well. This game has one tenth of the character and atmosphere the original had).

At any rate, does putting any points in Int and Cha actually do anything? I'm trying to make some gun singer wasteland type of character with an 80s feel to it (he even has a mullet and blond air!). I've got 6 in int and 5 in cha, but i'm not sure if i should bump the score higher to get more dialog options. Since i'm playing at the highest possible difficulty setting, and knowing that you probably won't be able to totally avoid combat this time around, i don't want to penalize my combat skills too much.

Ancient

Erudite
Lyric Suite said:
At any rate, does putting any points in Int and Cha actually do anything? I'm trying to make some gun singer wasteland type of character with an 80s feel to it (he even has a mullet and blond air!). I've got 6 in int and 5 in cha, but i'm not sure if i should bump the score higher to get more dialog options. Since i'm playing at the highest possible difficulty setting, and knowing that you probably won't be able to totally avoid combat this time around, i don't want to penalize my combat skills too much.

i know that INT gives some dialog options , i guess CHA gives some to but imo you just can max out speech and barter so in the end CHA is useless.
Just check perk list as there may be particular perk you will want to have that requires certain amount of CHA or INT

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Lyric Suite said:
Fuck, been playing fore a few minutes but the popamole is strong.

It's a fallout game, what did you expect?

Skills have been gutted and that stupid psychological test made no sense.

Fallout 1 had one of the most poorly balanced skill systems I've ever seen. Fallout 3 and NV are miles above it in this department.

At any rate, does putting any points in Int and Cha actually do anything?.

Other than boosting related skills, intelligence affects how many skill points you get per level (1 for every 2 points) and charisma boosts companion effectiveness.

I've run into a small number of high Int dialogue options as well. I use cha as a dump stat so i dunno how frequently you get Cha dialogue options.

roll-a-die

Magister
JarlFrank said:
I play on normal with hardcore mode activated and it's pretty good. Some enemies are fucking hard (Broc Flower Cave with the fast moving giant rats are deadly, I'll have to return there at a later level; those giant wasps are fucking hard to hit and hit hard too; encountering a deathclaw = FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU) and I'm always short on ammo.
Advice, shoot them in the wings, as they come at you they flare their wings, cripple those, and you have essentially won the fight, because then it has to hobble towards you on the ground.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
JrK said:
What is your skill with your weapon of choice? Maybe that makes a huge difference... EDIT: this question was for Jarlfrank. As for the headshots, I don't find that a problem.

They're not too hard to hit using VATS, but they're a pain to aim at without VATS because of their speed and size. Since they usually come in packs, I run out of action points after three or four shots into wings, then the rest swarm me and I try running backwards and shooting at them.

I appreciate the challenge, though. I haven't played a game where I actually had to run away from enemies in a long time.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Mods i have:

* nude females mod
* bullet time mod (slows time perception while using up AP, much better than VATS IMO).
* GUI mod (nothing fancy, just makes things smaller so more fit on screen).

Give me that prostitution mod and I'm all set. :smug:

CrimHead

Scholar
"bullet time mod (slows time perception while using up AP, much better than VATS IMO). "

I hate VATS. Link?

attackfighter

Magister
does anyone know how much level scaling is in this game? I ran into some red bug things at level one and they kicked my ass, however everything else has been piss easy (I'm killing those mafia guys in 2 shots). Is it going to be like Oblivion where the mafia guys scale faster than I can level?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom