Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas, hard core mode and mods

hiver

yeah, you have a "mod" for that in the fucking options of the game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kill Cam is different from VATS slow-down cam. The Kill Cam is some kind of slow-down cam that happens randomly or for specific cases when you kill someone in FPS mode.

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35240

It 'De-Nerfs' Energy Weapons, I'll leave it up to you whether it's needed or not. At least he didn't just up the damage on everything.

TBH if anything Guns are overpowered (haven't tried melee weapons). A Plasma Rifle + max power ammo can take down almost everything save deathclaws and power armor, and the Plasma Caster cleans up those well enough. Combat with would be much more interesting if they nerfed Guns weapons a lot, then cut off half of enemy health and 2/3rds of the player's.

Would be cool if someone redid the weapons/armor/statistic numbers to go with what Fallout 2 had (within reason).

Rogue

Educated
So I picked up a copy today. Played for two hours on hard + hardcore. I think this is a much better game compared to FO3 only due to the hardcore mode. I don't really find it that hard so far. It's nice that food and beverages are actually useful now. It's also nice that you need doctor's bags for crippled limbs. I especially like the fact that they limited skill points each level a bit and that you only get perks every 2 levels. I found FO3 very mediocre mainly because it was so idiotically easy ... you had way too much skill points even if you never picked up any of those stupid bobble-heads and all those perks made you completely invincible.
I started with ST8 PE3 EN9 CH1 IN9 AG6 LK5, four eyes, good natured, and no one can stand against my all-powerful all-knowing awesomeness. At least as far as those lame sissy and very dead escaped convicts at Primm are concerned. I wish PE had a noticeable impact on accuracy and that CH would be important in ordinary convos.

Also, what I especially don't like. Why the fuck was I able to repair guns to 100% if my repair was only about 30%? Seriously, WTF? How is that in any way hardcore? I'm guessing that higher repair means higher efficiency, but this is complete bullshit. My repairs didn't seem inefficient to me at all. I picked up a few guns from dead losers and simply repaired my weapon to full decapitation power JUST LIKE THAT. That is seriously fucking lame :decline:

They probably changed it due to the constant complaints about equipment degrading too fast. Also, you were kinda right about efficiency

In Fallout: New Vegas, a high Repair skill is no longer needed to repair weapons and armor to 100%. However, repairs still become much more efficient with higher Repair skill. Additionally, higher Repair skill allows the player to craft different types of ammunition and other gear at reloading benches and workbenches. Most notably the Weapon repair kit with 50 skill (40 with a skill magazine, 30 with Comprehension and a magazine).

Maybe the max HP you could restore them to is not the "real" max HP?

Lord Rocket

Erudite
I found that at the start as well (when every fucker's got a varmint rifle or 9mm handgun. It's not much better when they get 10mm pistols or cowboy repeaters instead either).
I've played for about 12 hours now and I can safely say that once your enemies start diversifying their arsenals, you'll find things a little harder to keep in tip-top shape (not much though). I suspect things will go back to 'normal' fairly soon though, thanks to the tiered weapon progression.

zeitgeist

Magister
Does anyone know if some sort of a comparison chart showing how many headshots from a couple of most common weapons takes to kill a couple of most common enemies on various vanilla difficulties has been done by any fans or modders yet? It would be interesting to see something like that, to establish a baseline to compare future realism/survival-related mods to, and as a visual representation of the general silliness of the combat mechanics.

Lord Rocket said:
I found that at the start as well (when every fucker's got a varmint rifle or 9mm handgun. It's not much better when they get 10mm pistols or cowboy repeaters instead either).
I've played for about 12 hours now and I can safely say that once your enemies start diversifying their arsenals, you'll find things a little harder to keep in tip-top shape (not much though). I suspect things will go back to 'normal' fairly soon though, thanks to the tiered weapon progression.

And its a PITA from beginning to end if you use Energy Weapons. Guns are pretty much FO:EZMode.

Dunno why they took out the limited repair ceiling depending on skill. Now that you only need 75% condition for maximum damage you don't need a ridiculous 100% repair skill just to have full firepower, the extra repair would just give you extra buffer time before you needed another repair. Crafting ammo & other stuff is pretty good though.

Drakron

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Dunno why they took out the limited repair ceiling depending on skill.

Why should it limit?

There is no logical sense, what repair does is how much can be repaired when you do it, 2 barely functional weapons will just create more functional weapon but still barely.

The big advantage is being able to get a 9mm at mint conditions pretty much just by picking on raiders but that only goes so far, even at 100% you~have DT to worry about and a 9mm is not going to do that much good against those 3 radscorpions.

We never had that crap in FO1-2, only 3 did it (it pretty much copied the WORST aspect on Morrowind/Oblivion weapons without the better ones, that was damage types) and it was pretty annoying as ended up spending small fortunes in basic repairs and that meant having to go around raiding shit just to pay for repairs.

FO:NV simply allows us to do better and repair in shops is a option if we have the caps and not the gear.

Without the limit Repair's use is much weakened as a skill choice. I'll admit that it was TOO useful in FO3, but NV nerfed it because now it only affects repair efficiency. As it is, if you picked Guns you are going to have an infinite mountain of weapons to repair with (at least until the late game where you are rolling in caps) and if you picked any of the other weapon skills repair is nigh-useless because enemies won't use your specific weapon. So repair in the end doesn't really change how easy it is to upkeep your weapon, either enemies use your weapon or they don't.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'd at least get repair high enough to get Jury Rigging, as that makes keeping your favorite gun and armor in top condition a lot easier.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DalekFlay said:
I'd at least get repair high enough to get Jury Rigging, as that makes keeping your favorite gun and armor in top condition a lot easier.
And I think it's the only way to repair That Gun (which every Codexer should have in their inventory for Guns characters), aside from paying and using Weapon Repair Kits.

Felix

Arcane
I sold That Gun to buy Marksman Rifle, now I don't remember who I sold it to :(

Also, where the fuck is Isaac? I want the M1 garand.

Tycn

Savant
I just visited The Vault to look up something and clicked on a talk page. Nausea set in instantly. It's like Ausir's very own Little Lamplight.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dragula said:
I never met a deathclaw, where can I find deathclaws?
quarry. you can either go north then east from goodsprings (east of vault 19), or north-ish from novac to reach it.
Vaarna_Aarne said:
And I think it's the only way to repair That Gun (which every Codexer should have in their inventory for Guns characters), aside from paying and using Weapon Repair Kits.
nearly spat my drink out when i found that one (in a closet, no less).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
JrK said:
Felix said:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34831
For anyone who like it a bit more colorful. :M

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/ ... p?id=35226
I'm using this one and it is way more atmospheric with the dark nights where you can actually see the lighted NV tower from far away. Check the screenshots.

I always liked that mod in Morrowind, but are there enough sources of illumination in this game?

DalekFlay said:

Jury Rigging has an obscene repair requirement though (90). Is it really worth maxing a stat just for a perk that eliminates the cost of npc repairs when by that point in the game you probably have enough caps that you can easily buy the repair 10x over? Not to mention you can just use weapon repair kits, which will repair 25% of your weapon with a grand cost of about 20 caps for materials (if you even need to buy them, you will probably find enough materials for 100s of kits while playing). This will even earn you more money by using repair kits as you bring back more weapons to sell.

Also, Jury Rigging is so god damn unreliable. It couldn't repair my unique plasma pistol with any other energy weapon. Dunno if thats intended or a bug. I ended up just using weapon repair kits and every point of repair over 50 as well as a perk was wasted.

hiver

I just installed a mod that allows me to repair weapons with most of other similar weapons, duct tape, wrenches, tin cans etc and combine armors too.
Feels good when you fix your armor by using some duct tape, tin can and a gecko skin. :smug:
-which really should be a in game mechanic/feature that high repair skill alows-

maybe a bit too easy but it does make use of that useless clutter.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
JrK said:
Felix said:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34831
For anyone who like it a bit more colorful. :M

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/ ... p?id=35226
I'm using this one and it is way more atmospheric with the dark nights where you can actually see the lighted NV tower from far away. Check the screenshots.

I always liked that mod in Morrowind, but are there enough sources of illumination in this game?

probably not, in towns there's plenty of fires around and you've alway got your pipboy light by holding the tab key. But navigating around rocks outdoors can be a pain in the ass even in daylight.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How viable is a melee character ?
I rolled one at the tutorial and found I did same damage as bullets..since bullet VATS can aim for head shots, I don't think there's much advantage in melee weapons.

JrK

Prophet
Head shots don't do that much more damage though. I've got a lead pipe I've been swinging around and I have not invested a single point into melee weapons and the damage rivals my guns, so I think melee chars will be allright.

Lyric Suite said:
JrK said:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35226

The pip-boy light sucks for anything but looting, and otherwise there isn't much illumination in settlements except for The Strip. Even with this mod I don't find myself *wishing* for more illumination because I think the darker nights looks awesome this way, and the mod enhances the beauty of the illumination that is there. Also I don't really find it hard to see even with the darkness. Just don't play in a room with glare.

RK47 said:
How viable is a melee character ?
I rolled one at the tutorial and found I did same damage as bullets..since bullet VATS can aim for head shots, I don't think there's much advantage in melee weapons.

Melee is definitely weaker but they should be viable. The biggest difference is that with a gun you can always open up a fight with a sneak critical headshot from 200 feet away that does something like 3x damage, and if you hide yourself you can do it to an entire group. Its hard to sneak into a group of enemies and backstab them with melee weapons though. You can get some ridiculous perks though, one that an NPC teaches you will make an unarmed power attack knock down enemies (AFAIK) 100% of the time and they take forever to get back up again :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom