Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
:lol:

I remember when I encoutered the flies he mentions. It forced me to either sneak or come back later, when I'd grown a pair. Incidentally chose to come back later.

Project: Eternity
fonvchar1.jpg

THIS ARE SERIUS THRED ABOUT A SERIOS GAEM

Also, RAPE CONFIRMED: there's at least one mention of rape in New Vegas. It's even a little side quest (no, you don't get to rape anyone yourself, just deal with the aftermath).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
actually it's 40 rad resistance, just like the advanced rad suit

pocahaunted

Arcane
I actually got that suit so I could attempt to clear Vault 34, too bad that even with 90 resistance with buffs I get 1 rad/second and the place is completely crawling with feral ghouls. How fun, right? A timed, boring as fuck, dungeon crawl against charging melee mobs with a diplomat-type character, definitely a delight. :roll:

I guess I ought to have remembered that the only build that actually matters in this game, as in FO3, is to have a viable combat character.

I'm doing fine so far with Medicine/Science/Guns, but yeah you really need at least one combat skill high really because you run into resistance so often.

Science and Medicine have been fairly useful so far, quite a few dialog options that use those (and quite a lot of terminals to hack). Lockpick really should be at least at 25 too for all those doors. This game really needs a "dynamite open doors" mechanic. I'm was running around with 50 sticks of dynamite at one point and that would have been a nice extra option.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
I'm doing fine so far with Medicine/Science/Guns, but yeah you really need at least one combat skill high really because you run into resistance so often.

Science and Medicine have been fairly useful so far, quite a few dialog options that use those (and quite a lot of terminals to hack). Lockpick really should be at least at 25 too for all those doors. This game really needs a "dynamite open doors" mechanic. I'm was running around with 50 sticks of dynamite at one point and that would have been a nice extra option.

Yeah, I went for energy weapons instead but somehow managed to get rid of all my energy ammo.

Science is fairly useful, true,l but, with the amount of combat that's forced upon you in each quest, combat skills just appear to be way superior overall.

ironyuri

Guys, a friend of mine who recently finished New Vegas told me that it is possible to finish the game without engaging in any combat whatsoever.

Is it true that there can be rat diplomacy in New Vegas?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Freelance Henchman said:
Also needs the option to force doors to be non-reliant on lockpick skill :M

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
it was over in a moment and the folks had gathered round
There before them lay the body of the outlaw on the ground
Oh he might have went on living but he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip
Big iron on his hip

booneisawesome.jpg

Felix

Arcane
Boones is a protagonist, you're just a companion.

I've just met Marcus and his voice = :thumbsup:

Tycn

Savant
ironyuri said:
Guys, a friend of mine who recently finished New Vegas told me that it is possible to finish the game without engaging in any combat whatsoever.

There's a perk that makes animals non-hostile...

...but you'd end up getting attacked by raiders anyway. Probably possible to do non-lethal, but beanbag rounds are ridiculously weak and knocks them out for about ten seconds. Plus you can't loot unconscious enemies, and that combined with lack of XP reward for knocking them out leaves you absolutely no incentive to avoid killing people. Other than LARPing. Of course, all that would count as combat.

It would have been nice if enemies knocked out would become non-hostile upon regaining consciousness since they'd been defeated and spared by you (except perhaps some named ones or if your reputation is abysmal).

Also, companions will keep at shooting enemies you've knocked out, and there isn't a 'hold fire' command.

So, I guess you can play a cowardly diplomat who runs away from everything.

Tycn

Savant
I was alluding to Andhaira's infamous post. Although isometric + overmap is far more conducive to running away, it would get extremely tedious in NV.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
ironyuri said:

Sure, not all quests can be done without without violence, but there is a peaceful solution for quite a few of them.

And most of the time you can outsource the killing to someone else.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Well, this might be a bit of a spoiler so read at your own peril.

I did just get rid of that House guy by hacking into his computers with my 100 science skill and completely ignoring his bodyguards. Too bad that now I don't really have much of a main quest anymore, all the main quests have failed. :lol:

MikeJahn

Educated
ironyuri said:

Finishing the game without fighting is viable, the ghoul in the space station quest can be done without killing anyone - it's possible to convince the nightkin to leave instead of simply killing them.

Doing the game no combat with high sneaking + speech could probably be done, there doesn't really seem to be any portions where you have to fight.
Of course you'd likely not get to explore a lot either but it's definitely plausible.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just wait. He's very overpowering at first, but as all companions, when you meet something a bit more resilient and damage-dealing, he becomes mostly useless, allthough still better than most other companions.

His perk is useless though.

I left him in my house the town where you get him after a point since it's just annoying as hell when you have to look after the companion, especially in cramped quarters. I might take him along later if there's some open air mission later.

pocahaunted

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
I left him in my house the town where you get him after a point since it's just annoying as hell when you have to look after the companion, especially in cramped quarters. I might take him along later if there's some open air mission later.

So true, I lost the bot that way, inside vault 34, right as I entered a door and the game's autosave kicked in -- the last save I had available was too far back and I just didn't bother, too bad I won't get to finish its questline, though.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
pocahaunted said:
I actually got that suit so I could attempt to clear Vault 34, too bad that even with 90 resistance with buffs I get 1 rad/second and the place is completely crawling with feral ghouls. How fun, right? A timed, boring as fuck, dungeon crawl against charging melee mobs with a diplomat-type character, definitely a delight. :roll:

I guess I ought to have remembered that the only build that actually matters in this game, as in FO3, is to have a viable combat character.

Yeah, it makes more sense to be able to do exactly the same thing with every character build, right? :roll:

Fuck me, this is why Bethesda has so much success, making everything accessible for every type of character at any time. No danger of gimping, no being forced to fore go certain things because you chose to play as melee, diplo, stealth etc. Just one size fits all where you can pick any character and do exactly the same thing!

It's attitudes like this that mean we can't have nice things!

MikeJahn said:
Finishing the game without fighting is viable, the ghoul in the space station quest can be done without killing anyone - it's possible to convince the nightkin to leave instead of simply killing them.

Doing the game no combat with high sneaking + speech could probably be done, there doesn't really seem to be any portions where you have to fight.
Of course you'd likely not get to explore a lot either but it's definitely plausible.

This would be awesome if true. No problem that you have to miss out on a lot of game as that would happen. Who believes a diplomat would have success everywhere in a such a world in reality? To be able to avoid every combat based on speech and charisma would also be false and contrived. You play differently based on the build you make and live without seeing this bit or that in order to live the compromise as it should be. Only thing I'd like to see is more of a limitation for all combat characters as well, making it impossible for them to do certain quests such as getting a series of quests from people who want someone that isn't a killer, as an example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom